Are Muslims racists?

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam,

I've witnessed racism towards some Muslim brothers while I was in Dubai. One story I will never forget was about an Indian Muslim bro that applied for a job while living in Dubai. He was an intelligent bro that applied for a position within a company, he was told he couldn’t have the job by the owner of the company. Instead the owner decided to employ a non Muslim white American man, regardless of him having the same degree.

Some months went by and the same position within another department became available, he applied for the job and this time he got it, only he was paid half the amount the American was paid for doing exactly the same type of work.

The owner of the company by the way was a Muslim Arab. Sometimes I tend to think they favour non Muslims over Muslims. I know not everyone’s the same in this world and people are different.

However if that’s not racism then I don't know what is!

Salam

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam,

I've witnessed racism towards some Muslim brothers while I was in Dubai. One story I will never forget was about an Indian Muslim bro that applied for a job while living in Dubai. He was an intelligent bro that applied for a position within a company, he was told he couldn’t have the job by the owner of the company. Instead the owner decided to employ a non Muslim white American man, regardless of him having the same degree.

Some months went by and the same position within another department became available, he applied for the job and this time he got it, only he was paid half the amount the American was paid for doing exactly the same type of work.

The owner of the company by the way was a Muslim Arab. Sometimes I tend to think they favour non Muslims over Muslims. I know not everyone’s the same in this world and people are different.

Salam

Sorry I should have added, Islam is not the problem, the problem is with the people that don't practise Islam in the way they know that they're supposed to.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Salam,

Salam

:salam2:

That is so true brother but as you've said Islam has nothing to do with it because like Filipino overseas workers, regardless if they are a Muslim or not, they're being paid the same. However, in cases like in Saudi Arabia, hospitals and employers for nannies/maids there prefer Muslim applicants not because they don't like non-Muslims rather it is easier for a Muslim to adjust to an Islamic environment.

Salam,

Salam

Salaam,

I think you are making alot of assumptions to say this is a case of racism. There are alot of unanswered questions, here are a few to think about:

1) So did the American person quit before the Muslim guy was hired?

2) Maybe the American guy was also "intelligent"?

3) Why did the American guy quit? contract position? Any tax considerations?

4) How do you know their salaries? Isn't that confidential? How sure are you that the Muslim guy got half the salary?

5) Do you think maybe the company was down sizing and couldn't afford to pay the same salary as the American guy who got hired? Every department has a budget, and maybe they couldn't afford to pay the American guy down the line that much any more.

6) What if someone was absent, pregnant, or on leave that maybe the American guy had more tasks at that time and was thus paid a higher salary?

7) What if this was a new position created but was over paid so they had to decrease the salary?

The act of not hiring the Muslim guy has nothing to do with racism because a job is based on qualifications, experience, communication skills, etc.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Salaam,

I think you are making alot of assumptions to say this is a case of racism. There are alot of unanswered questions, here are a few to think about:

4) How do you know their salaries? Isn't that confidential? How sure are you that the Muslim guy got half the salary?

5) Do you think maybe the company was down sizing and couldn't afford to pay the same salary as the American guy who got hired? Every department has a budget, and maybe they couldn't afford to pay the American guy down the line that much any more.

6) What if someone was absent, pregnant, or on leave that maybe the American guy had more tasks at that time and was thus paid a higher salary?

7) What if this was a new position created but was over paid so they had to decrease the salary?

The act of not hiring the Muslim guy has nothing to do with racism because a job is based on qualifications, experience, communication skills, etc.

You got a point there brother but sometimes it really does happen.

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salaam,

Salam bro,

I appreciate your response but hate to break it to you as this sort of thing is well documented in Dubai and Saudi Arabia. Perhaps some of the African, Indian, Pakistani and Filipino brothers can vouch for what goes on there.

I have no reason and would not gain anything from making anything up like this.

For your information my brother in-law who is a Swedish revert to Islam, lived in Dubai, unfortunately he quit working there even though he held a high position. The reason why he gave in his resignation was simply due to the fact that people were being treated unfairly and as the pay structure seemed to be decided on whether you were white, black or Asian totally disgusted him as he never witnessed anything of the sort in his life before.

I have nothing against Americans or white people or even black people for that matter and I'm not a racist however it is your choice whether you wish to believe if what I have to say is true or not. Allah will judge all of us at the end of the day.

Salam alai kum

You got a point there brother but sometimes it really does happen.

Salaam,

I agree--it does and it can happen.

My point is that we shouldn't be swift to make conclusions without the underlying facts. It's not good to say "O, this person is racist because they didn't hire me." We should not judge other people because we don't know their intentions!

If something does not work for you (i.e a specific job you're applying for) then Allah knows it wasn't good for you. But hey, alhamdulillah the Muslim brother got the position he applied for, and maybe Allah was testing his patience and perhaps he's happy with whatever he's getting.

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salaam,

I agree--it does and it can happen.

My point is that we shouldn't be swift to make conclusions without the underlying facts. It's not good to say "O, this person is racist because they didn't hire me." We should not judge other people because we don't know their intentions!

If something does not work for you (i.e a specific job you're applying for) then Allah knows it wasn't good for you. But hey, alhamdulillah the Muslim brother got the position he applied for, and maybe Allah was testing his patience and perhaps he's happy with whatever he's getting.

Salam alai kum again,

I can see where you're coming from bro and I would never make such assumptions without knowing the facts first.

It's a pitty this sort of thing happens and Inshallah maybe one day things might change.

Allah knows best.

salam

Salam alai kum again,

I can see where you're coming from bro and I would never make such assumptions without knowing the facts first.

It's a pitty this sort of thing happens and Inshallah maybe one day things might change.

Allah knows best.

salam

Salaamalikum,

No problem akhi. Hey imagine if the American guys salary was $500,000 and the Muslim got $250,000. Either way, I know I wouldn't complain :SMILY288:

I hope it does change Inshallah.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

I think people can become ethnocentric. Like my country is better than your country type of thing. I see it all the time.

No offense but majority of my Arab/Persian/Turkish friends constantly talk about how their country is way better than the one they are living in. I get frustrated because I feel like it is an insult to me and where I was born. I try my best to accomdate peoples' opinions about their own background but there is no room to budge for mine. All I can say is alhamdullilah :)

:wasalam:

apocalypse77

in my country, malays make up the majority for the muslims and basically, its a malay muslim organization that caters the financial needs for malay muslim community when it comes to school fee subsidees etc..sadly, its exclusive ONLY for the malay muslim communiy and NOT for the indian and chinese muslims..i thought that was rather racist..why MALAY MUSLIM? why cant it just be MUSLIM? or is there some form of Malay narcissim here?

rougan

Do you find it difficult to give respect to someone who doesn't respect you back or to someone who doesn't deserve it?

Giving respect to someone who doesn't respect me is pretty hard but it is something that can be done. An example is a boss who doesn't give due respect to his employee. The employee as the subordinate is somewhat bound to “respect” the boss regardless of how he treats him. However, how can we qualify or quantify someone who deserves or not of any respect at all?

samiha

---------
Staff member
I mean, are Muslims somewhat racist toward non-Muslims?

2 points and then I gotta go :)

1- as sis said, Islaam is not a race - so how could we be racist? I mean, any country you go to, from Africa, Asia, Europe, ... anywhere practically you can find a Muslim... so for us or any Muslim to be "racist" is quite pathetic... Islaam is universal, it's not specified to ONE or ANY "group" of people.

2 - Not all people who claim to be Muslim actually practice the ideals of Islaam. They may act like a muslim, dress like one, speak like one, but if their character is not like one it is a failure.

If a Muslim is racist towards say non-Muslims... then how would we fulfill the duty of "invitation" that was placed upon us? How would we call to Islaam? When Allah said to call to them tactfully, and eloquently, do you think it would quite do if we were to put them down and be racist from the very beginning?

Islaam teaches not only how to worship Allah, but it is a complete way of life. It outlines a perfect character, a way in which to be fair and just in all situations. It promotes understanding, guidance, tolerance, and to avoid anger and grudges which are unfounded, to forgive, to have patience in all situations. It teaches to be humble, as Shaytan was one who was arrogant and it ultimately lead to his downfall, all in all... it completes how a person should be, and if a Muslim were arrogant or proud over another then they should beware of what their real intentions behind their deeds are and re-check for themselves how much of the Islaamic mannerisms they are following.

3 - Also wanted to say that... we believe that Allah (swt) is the turner of hearts. He has control of what path one is put on and what they follow, yet at the same time gives free choice. Shaytan is rampant everwhere, he is also a peice in this whole life we live that we must deal with. WHO are we to say or believe that ... we will not be misguided? (God Forbid - astagfirullah) Even though it is hard to contemplate, assuredly it can and has happened before. Just as Allah guides, and give knowledge and hidayah... He can also take that away if a person trangresses or disobeys or breaks Allah's commands. So a Muslim should ALWAYS be afraid of themselves and their OWN hearts first... instead of looking towards others... they should make sure that they stay on the straight Path. That's why in every prayer we ask Allah to guide us upon the one straight path, and not the path of those who have earned Allah's anger and consequently His punishment, nor those who have lost the path or been misguided...

We cannot assure our own hearts, so why be racist towards anothers'? Besides we believe everyone has potential, just because right now they don't understand or know a concept, (say perhaps the oneness of Allah and belief in His messenger etc) it's not for us to judge them. Who knows? Allah is the only one who guides, one day He may open their hearts...

Are we racist towards non-muslims then? No.

I am afraid this doesn't make sense :redface: sorry

rougan

Salam,

Masjid is a house of Allah swt,everybody can perform solat,from whoever also belongs to,black masjid or white masjid.

Islam is a solidarity religion,unity resulting from aims or understanding.dont think that Muslim is like non muslim religion eg christian.
If youre catholics u only can go to catholic church,if youre protestant u only can go to protestant church,Islam is not like that.

Hi Dianne,

Actually, you can go to the church of any other sect even if you're from a different one. The thing is these groups don’t conduct the worship on the same way.

rougan

Hey,

Good question. In the first place, Islam is not a race. Rather it is a religion and a way of life that people from different races follow. If we practice racism, it's like degrading our own brothers and sisters in Islam. Though, there are racist "muslims", you can't avoid that, those are people who doesn't clearly understand what Islam teaches regarding racism.

Good point!

rougan

2 points and then I gotta go :)

1- as sis said, Islaam is not a race - so how could we be racist? I mean, any country you go to, from Africa, Asia, Europe, ... anywhere practically you can find a Muslim... so for us or any Muslim to be "racist" is quite pathetic... Islaam is universal, it's not specified to ONE or ANY "group" of people.

2 - Not all people who claim to be Muslim actually practice the ideals of Islaam. They may act like a muslim, dress like one, speak like one, but if their character is not like one it is a failure.

If a Muslim is racist towards say non-Muslims... then how would we fulfill the duty of "invitation" that was placed upon us? How would we call to Islaam? When Allah said to call to them tactfully, and eloquently, do you think it would quite do if we were to put them down and be racist from the very beginning?

Islaam teaches not only how to worship Allah, but it is a complete way of life. It outlines a perfect character, a way in which to be fair and just in all situations. It promotes understanding, guidance, tolerance, and to avoid anger and grudges which are unfounded, to forgive, to have patience in all situations. It teaches to be humble, as Shaytan was one who was arrogant and it ultimately lead to his downfall, all in all... it completes how a person should be, and if a Muslim were arrogant or proud over another then they should beware of what their real intentions behind their deeds are.

3 - Also wanted to say that... we believe that Allah (swt) is the turner of hearts. He has control of what path one is put on and what they follow, yet at the same time gives free choice. Shaytan is rampant everwhere, he is also a peice in this whole life we live that we must deal with. WHO are we to say or believe that ... we will not be misguided? (God Forbid - astagfirullah) Even though it is hard to contemplate, assuredly it can and has happened before. Just as Allah guides, and give knowledge and hidayah... He can also take that away if a person trangresses or disobeys or breaks Allah's commands. So a Muslim should ALWAYS be afraid of themselves and their OWN hearts first... instead of looking towards others... they should make sure that they stay on the straight Path. That's why in every prayer we ask Allah to guide us upon the one straight path, and not the path of those who have earned Allah's anger and consequently His punishment, nor those who have lost the path or been misguided...

We cannot assure our own hearts, so why be racist towards anothers'? Besides we believe everyone has potential, just because right now they don't understand or know a concept, (say perhaps the oneness of Allah and belief in His messenger etc) it's not for us to judge them. Who knows? Allah is the only one who guides, one day He may open their hearts...

Are we racist towards non-muslims then? No.

I am afraid this doesn't make sense :redface: sorry

LOL. Thanks. Actually, I just realize that the question is technically incorrect. My bad. In the first place, the term "Muslim" doesn't refer to any particular race. However, what I am referring to is the “act” of SOME “Muslims” toward non-Muslims, which in a way is very discriminating. And to discriminate as a typical “racist” attitude. I think that’s what really this thread is all about.

samiha

---------
Staff member
LOL. Thanks. Actually, I just realize that the question is technically incorrect. My bad. In the first place, the term "Muslim" doesn't refer to any particular race. However, what I am referring to is the “act” of SOME “Muslims” toward non-Muslims, which in a way is very discriminating. And to discriminate as a typical “racist” attitude. I think that’s what really this thread is all about.

lol yea... welcome, sorry ranting is a favorite pastime of mine ;) ... anyways, I see what you mean, but you must realize that among every box of fruits there may be a rotten one. But the thing to realize is that that fruit does not represent all the rest of them... lol.. let's go back to humans. These people who discriminate should not be used to generalize and classify Muslims either... because isn't that then a type of discrimination then too? Or at the very least a prejidice and a form of Islamophobia, which is already admant in many parts. Just looking at this thread... has anyone said yes? At your introductory post, has anyone shown you other than welcome? So take not others as examples of Muslims, but those who are correct in the character of a Muslim.

Also I mean to say... your comment can be flipped and multplied many folds backwards.

- the act of some non-muslims towards muslims, which in a way is very discriminating -

There can be several, mulitple reports of Muslims facing abuse and oppression, discrimination, and prejidice from non-muslims. Many times these cases are left unhandled, and overlooked because those who are set to judge do not see what happens as unfair.

Because of this, do WE ask the question - make the statement - Are non-muslims racist/discriminatory?

i dunno ~ 2:20 AM :D ~ night night