Are women allowed to work?

sabs1164

AmatuLLaH
:salam2:

sister i didn't write ALL.
i was not refering to u in the first place.

i will not make abig thing out of this, but maybe wen i wil be an aalimah next year INSHAA ALLAH.

Sister take it or leave it.
remember i was not refering to u.

maybe i should stop posting here. this not the right place maybe.
:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

First, do not stop posting here.

Now...you guys make me feel so old..listen up..

What we like is one thing. As I am writing this I wish I were married to the most pious of believers. I wish I could be thirty years old with the wisdom I have now...well it ain't so.

The truth of the matter is this: Wake up sisters...it is a mans world. The sooner we understand this the more peace we have in our lives.

I know no-one reads my posts. That is why I have to write the same thing over and over again...

Yes, it is a sad fact that we live in a world where we women have compete with men to put food on the table. The state of the world is such that I have had to undergo so much just to feed my sons. And I am tired. I am tired.

The culture of she deserves it exists because it is a mans world. A highly competitive woman is not welcomed in a mans world. She can not hang with the men in the locker room after a game of golf. She is the outsider. Her husband is considered a cuckold. She in not on the same par as the men. It has nothing to do with ability. It is the world of the kufr.

The more we learn about the solutions that Islam provides we become less argumentative.

And I can tell you by personal experiences that men, I have no clue why, respect a woman who shy's away from them. I have more brothers lined up to help me as I walk with my head lowered.

No-one is saying do not work. Everyone is saying learn your faith so that when you work you do it right.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

sister i didn't write ALL.
i was not refering to u in the first place.

i will not make abig thing out of this, but maybe wen i wil be an aalimah next year INSHAA ALLAH.

Sister take it or leave it.
remember i was not refering to u.

maybe i should stop posting here. this not the right place maybe.

Hey come back here sister ..

I genuinely read your second post wrong when you said you didn't mean what you said in the initial post, I do apologise for that.

Now as for my question, since its been brought up, I've seen people write Allah like ALLAH and make a thing out of it, I don't know why to be honest, so if there is a reason for this and someone (anyone!) knows, do enlighten me on it.

Wa-alaykum assalam

Ash76

Hey come back here sister ..

I genuinely read your second post wrong when you said you didn't mean what you said in the initial post, I do apologise for that.

Now as for my question, since its been brought up, I've seen people write Allah like ALLAH and make a thing out of it, I don't know why to be honest, so if there is a reason for this and someone (anyone!) knows, do enlighten me on it.

Wa-alaykum assalam

:SMILY139: Hands up that'll be me!

I have been known to write Allah as ALLAH in the past (probably not on TTI though).

To throw some light on why I probably do this...

I think whilst being engrossed in the message I am drafting, my warped mind subconsciously feels the need to emphasise ALLAH (look I'm doing it again! :SMILY176:) to complement the thumping I feel in the heart when His name is sometimes mentioned so it stands out from the rest of the message (not that Allah's name needs to be differentiated for people to recognise it's essence and effects of course).

Other people may have a different reason for this so I'm looking forward to them enlightening the rest of us in knowing the cause of their OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). :SMILY231:

islamdonlyway

Assalamualikum,

Lets be honest hear, not many sisters can get into professions such as doctors/nurses. If we even relate to the stats regarding high professions in the muslim community, its atrotious. so were are the sisters suposed to work?? majority of the jobs if not all require you to work in a mixed environment, we even have that in certain 'islamic organisations' for a start. With the current economic crisis added to the ever increaseing liveing cost's, both the wife and husband have to work in most cases.

Litrally alone i know many sisters that are considering or have started working, due to the finiancial situation. When your specially livieing in cities were most things are over inflated (e.g, london, new york etc), a sister has no choice in most cases, thus, start working even when married, in a mixed environment (as most if not all jobs offer). so what should a sister do in this case? is she sinning? are their any fatwas upon this scenario?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

You ask a very profound question. Yes, on TTI there are many fatawas that enlighten us about our behaviors and we have threads on hadith and Quran.

We have precedent. We have to go back and seek knowledge from the actions of the Companions and the successive two generations.

As I have read over the years, and we have such robust posts from some of our brothers, it is better for a woman if she is afforded the blessing to guard her husband's possessions. Now, some sisters are not in a position to do that. So, we attempt to work in environments that are as halaal as possible.

I can only write that the power of dua should not be underestimated. I prayed for five years that I be blessed to work in a totally halaal environment. And Allah subhana wa taala granted me this blessing. Humble, as it is I am the blessed teacher of 13 Muslim daughters who drive me crazy and I love every second of it.

Mairo

Maryama
the primary role of a woman is NOT to raise children and be a homemaker.

There are millions of Muslim women who are not married and no kids. Are you saying they have no role?

If a woman is married, then her role maybe to take care of kids and home. But that is ONLY if a woman is married.

Islam is universal. we can't make sweeping generalizations that don't apply to all Muslims.

Women have many roles to play. Islam governs ethics, conduct and morality. So long as a working woman or stay at home woman abides by Islamic rules, working should make no difference. It is NOT axiomatic that if she works she is not abide by Islamic rules.

The reality is, many Muslim men, fathers, brothers, husbands, parents, etc do not follow Islamic guidance when it comes to their women, leaving woman no choice but to work. Some women have o work because tat is their only source of meeting people and interacting with society at large. Many many women. Eed to work in order to buy food, clothes, bus tickets, gas, medicine, books, things for their home, etc. nothing in this word is free. Nothing. If a woman wants to get married, a wedding usually costs some money (and Im not talking about a big fancy expensive wedding...just a simple one, but all brides like to wear a beautiful dress, invite their friends, have a gathering for lunch or dinner). These things are not free. You need o work to acquire money .

Shukran sister, great post.

Yes, women are allowed to work. Additionally, women are not limited to a certain role or industry when it comes to work. Women are allowed to earn income provided it is from a halal source. You may be interested in this post I previously shared regarding examples of working women at the time of the prophet: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74547

Khadijah is a great example as you mentioned. If you think about it, if it weren't for the fact that Khadijah was a successful businesswoman who proposed to Muhammad, they would not have been able to get married as Muhammad didn't have the means to support a wife at that time.

Aisha is also a great example. Consider the fact that she was an eminent scholar of Islam and many men sought out her intelligence and wisdom with matters concerning the deen. But one would not consider Aisha or Khadijah were involved in "free mixing", even though they and many other women of the companions worked with men. When one is working there is a specific purpose to the relationship, it is not the same as "free mixing" which connotates a kind of free socializing and a lack of proper guarding. When the working relationship is kept completely professional and respectful and limited to proper business etiquette and one guards themselves properly there is not a problem.

That being said, it is increasingly challenging in the world today to act in such a manner, but we all must strive to do so.

And also to mention for consideration the fact that the prophet, peace be upon him, encouraged men to help the women as much as possible in contributing to the work needing to be done around the house.

The fact of life is that not all women find themselves in the position to be able to stay at home and not work. Especially now a days, many women find themselves in the position where they have no choice but to work. Everyone has a different destiny to fulfill. We should be supportive of the different roles that each one of us plays in the Ummah.