Are you addicted to TTI?

Artemis

Banned
Your not Muslim?

Indeed not, I am a traditional agnostic, by which I mean that I do not accept that there is adequate proof either way, but if there is a God and he/she/it would like to drop in for a cuppa and discuss matters they are always welcome.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Indeed not, I am a traditional agnostic, by which I mean that I do not accept that there is adequate proof either way, but if there is a God and he/she/it would like to drop in for a cuppa and discuss matters they are always welcome.

The Creator has discussed matters at great length and of adequate depth in the Qur'aan. If you want to drop in a bit of wisdom and meaning into your life at any stage, you're always welcome too.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Asalum Alaikum, Everyone,

I don't know that I am addicted; however, it is my homepage and I rarely am able to log in to the internet without reading the new posts. This site is such a blessing for me. As a teenager in The United States, I was an agnostic at best and an atheist at worse. The lies told about Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny made me doubt everything my parents told me about that which I could not see. In my late teens, I was a sergeant in the Army in Vietnam. I was a combat medic, but unlike the movies, a medic is a soldier who shoots and at whom shots are fired. Allah, Whom at that time I thought was Jesus (May The Peace of Allah be Upon Him), began to draw on my heart and I accepted the existence of "God." After being Honorably Discharged from the Army, I had a son who died shortly after being born. I petitioned for my will to be done instead of Allah's Will and when he died I still believed in "God's Existence", but I wanted no part of religion.

Twenty years ago, after losing a small fortune in a business venture, I told my wife that I was going back to church. In a short time, I was ordained in and have searched for The Whole Truth ever since. I began feeling the same pull upon my heart recently as I did in Vietnam forty years ago. This time it was to Islam. I went on the web and found this site and the more I studied Islam, the more I knew that Muhammad (Salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) was indeed The Prophet of Allah Who Is The Only God.

So, although, I am not addicted, I am developing quite a habit of coming here.

Shokran for the knowledge and assistance each of you bring to this site.

Artemis

Banned
The Creator has discussed matters at great length and of adequate depth in the Qur'aan. If you want to drop in a bit of wisdom and meaning into your life at any stage, you're always welcome too.

I have read threee translations and am currently working on a 4th.

Although I do learn a lot more about the precepts and atttudes of Islam and muslims from talking to muslims on this boards and others.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

Although I do learn a lot more about the precepts and atttudes of Islam and muslims from talking to muslims on this boards and others.

You learn about the precepts and attitudes of muslims from talking to muslims on this board and others.

Not the precepts of Islaam. You learn about Islaam through the Qur'aan and Sunnah (the ways of Muhammad peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

If muslims were walking talking examples of the Qur'aan and Sunnah, this distinction wouldn't be necessary.

arzafar

mind sharing with us what you have learned about the muslims from the members of this forum? I think it would be a fascinating read for all of us to see how a non muslims sees us.

hint: you can pm me if it's that bad lol!

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
mind sharing with us what you have learned about the muslims from the members of this forum? I think it would be a fascinating read for all of us to see how a non muslims sees us.

Yeah Indeed!

Artemis

Banned
You learn about the precepts and attitudes of muslims from talking to muslims on this board and others.

Not the precepts of Islaam. You learn about Islaam through the Qur'aan and Sunnah (the ways of Muhammad peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

If muslims were walking talking examples of the Qur'aan and Sunnah, this distinction wouldn't be necessary.

In a way that is true but there are many times that fatwas (is that the plural of fatwa?) are published here and elsewhere in relation to various queries and problems these give the Islamic position, and thus the precepts and attitudes of Islam.

And the attitudes of muslims do not arise from a vacuum, attitudes are inculcated from a variety of sources including religious beliefs.

Artemis

Banned

Do you know, I made an offer like that on another thread.

I tried to explain the attitudes of non-muslims and pointed out that to non-muslims Mohammed is not the perfect human being to be respected above all others. I was told that this is a muslim board and I was not to say things like that and if I was not properly respectful I would be removed from the board. I apologised for trying to provide another point of view, withdrew from the thread and added that if anyone was interested in a non-muslim point of view as to why muslims were viewed in a bad light by non-muslims I would be pleased to respond by pm. There was one response on the thread which was congratulations to the person who threatened to remove me from the board and none by pm.

What lessons on muslims and Islam do you think I might draw from that?

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Artemis, Are you a Dumas fan? You are obvious very intelligent and are educated in that you know what Memes are and how Individuals are shaped by the Memes of their family, culture, and through all the other ways we transmit beliefs and perceptions. However, I am surprised that an individual with your intellect and education hasn't come to the conclusion through your own perspicacity and acumen that given the complexity of all things that are in existence that the change of such a miraculous creation coming into existence without a creator is less likely than a Rolls Royce being assembled by a tornado passing through a junk yard. It is my understanding that many of the mathematicians and physicists working on quantum mechanics, string theory, and the elusive "theory of everything" have reached the apriori conclusion that there is a creator.

My belief in Allah (The Most Merciful and The Most Beneficent) is not based on intellect but on the experience of peace that I have when reading the translations of The Quran and thinking about The Prophet Muhammad (Salla Alahu alayhi wa sallam)

I hope you to will someday experience that feeling.

Artemis

Banned
You'd draw the conclusion that when you approach an issue with a disrespectful attitude, disrespect is what you can expect in return. Had you instead said something like, "I do not know much about Islam or Muhammad and would like to discuss them with you. My perception of both, I must confess, is negative. If you are open to it, I can tell you what my thoughts are and why I developed them. I am open too to your thoughts and promise I will listen without prejudice, but I may not agree, you understand."

Had you said something like that, you would've had tens of replies, because it would've given folks the impression that you are respectful of the religion and the man we hold dearest and sincerely want to know what you may not be aware of or have misunderstood.

But this was not a discussion about Islam, this was a discussion about why non-muslims might have a negative view of Islam, which is something I might (as a non-muslim) be more able to point out than a muslim, and some of the reasons might not meet with your approval, but they are real and they are out there and if you are not prepared to find out how non-muslims feel then, guess what, you will never understand why they can have a negative view of you.

But since you dismiss that then let us pop across to another forum, on that forum amanwho was married to a devout christian revealed that he had convertedand then announced the factto his wife as a complete surprise. She was, surprise , surprise very upset, she was in tears, and this was upsetting their children.
Not one muslim cared how she felt, they only congratulated him and said how he should now start to take the children to the mosque no matter how his wife felt.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
But this was not a discussion about Islam, this was a discussion about why non-muslims might have a negative view of Islam, which is something I might (as a non-muslim) be more able to point out than a muslim, and some of the reasons might not meet with your approval, but they are real and they are out there and if you are not prepared to find out how non-muslims feel then, guess what, you will never understand why they can have a negative view of you.

It doesn't take much of an IQ to figure why non-muslims dislike muslims. Lol, we don't need your blessing of a brain to tell us.

Thanks anyway.

Artemis

Banned
It doesn't take much of an IQ to figure why non-muslims dislike muslims. Lol, we don't need your blessing of a brain to tell us.

Thanks anyway.

Let me guess, Islamophobia and the great Jewish conspiracy.

Right, nothing more to say then, not even the truth.

Like I said, you do learn a lot about Islam and muslims on these websites.