As-Salamu Aleykom

Destiny_Jannah

AsSalamu Aleykom everyone

I been having hard time since I went back to uni this year. My first semester was busy and hard. Taking full load courses, working at the same time and having external pressures are not easy task.

I met a brother last summer, thinking it's all good. After all what's wrong...as long as the brother it's a parcticing Muslim. Not so, I was completely wrong, born and bred in the west and having different outlook in life can cause tremendous problems between me and my family.

After talking to the brother for a week, I invited him to meet my family, not knowing what to expect and how they will react since the brother belongs to different ethnicity and a revert.

I first told my mum thinking she will be able to convince my dad and the rest of the family. Not so, my mum's answered was, Never will I marry a revert Muslim, whose parents are not Muslims and Never will a marry outside our ethnicity. She said whom I'm suppose to marry was already decided by my uncle (my mother's brother). This was shocking to me, there is more important things to worry about than ethnicity and culture. We have to worry how to improve our deen and practice rather than one's affliation to his ethnicity. And according to Islam , they can't decide whom I should marry without my consent.

My mum got angry and started cursing me a lot. I can take a slap not a cursing, I'm scare of cursing. I always think parents' cursing come true no matter whose is right or wrong. My mum got worst, and she uses old way of dealing with people, like hitting, and slapping (although raising hands is considered cultural things according to my parents' tradtion)

I talked to my dad and he thinks I'm out of my mind, because I wanna marry a brother who belong to different ethnicity and revert.

I talked to my uncles (from my dad's side) and the only answered I got was; try to convince my parents and they can't do anything about it. I'm exhausted all means of convincing my parents :(. I think my parents are lucky and Allah blessed with them wonderful children. But sometimes I think, they turn blind eye of that blessings.

I do practice my deen, I did memorized the Qur'an at the age of 9, I go university and work at the same time. What more could they ask...All I wanna do is what Allah permitted and leave what Allah forbade.

No one will try to got to know the brother. To me he is really good practicing Muslim brother, who has a lot of Subr and will go into a great lenght to help anyone who is in need.

At this point I don't know what to do, The brother is trying really hard to meet anyone in my family. I'm not allow to talk to him, I'm not allow to go out the rest of my break before I go back to uni for the 2nd semester.

Why culture is so important than DEEN? I'm trying to live upto their expectations and I'm having a lot of Subr, but in return I get a lot of cursing and labelled as someone who wants to bring shame and dishonor to the family.

The brother is not giving up, and I can't let him go either :(. it's very hard situation to be in. May Allah guides us all and makes easy things.

It's hard :(

what Should I do? the family will not let me go either....

anyone out there who have suggestions can comment....I really appreciated

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
AsSalamu Aleykom everyone

Everyone in the family is against me, they will not even try to got to know the brother. To me he is really good practicing Muslim brother, who has a lot of Subr and will go into a great lenght to help anyone who is in need.

I don't deserve to be treated this way by my family, what sin did I commit? except that I can't live upto my parents' tradtion besides the language, the food, and the clothes.

Why culture is so important than DEEN? I'm trying to live upto their expectations and I'm having a lot of Subr, but in return I get a lot of cursing and labelled as someone who wants to bring shame and dishonor the family.

The brother is not giving up, and I can't let him go either :(. it's very hard situation to be in. May Allah guides us all and makes easy things.

Waalaykumsalam

Thats a tough situation you are in. But you should not say some of the things i have quoted above.

Well my advice is continue asking your uncle (from your dad side) to talk to your dad . i feel thats the only way.

must91

answer please

:salam2:
How old are you and are your ancestral link from the sub continent beacuse the way wrote the dealings of your family is typical of the muslims of the subcontinent?

How old is the revert male you wish to marry and what ethnicity and why did he accept Islam?

Is your family practising Islam the way Islam wants us, especially your mum and dad?

You said you memorised Quraan. Are you a hafizah?
:wasalam:

Destiny_Jannah

Must91

my family are more into culture than Islam. They taught us the Qur'an and Islam because it was their responsibility to teach their kids. But as we grew old, it became our responsibility to understand our religion and practice.

When I met the brother, he was a Muslim already so I did not tell him to revert to Islam.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
assalamo alaikum sister..

your situation is tough indeed..and the key to getting through it is maintaining patience and being calm no matter how heated matters may get between you and your parents..

I think the best you can do..is pray for it..and not just any prayer...pray *Istikharah* especially..it really works wonders..perhaps you are facing all of this resentment towards this issue..for a reason unknown to you but very well known to Allah (swt)..and Istikharah may lead you to find out whether this is the right thing for you or not..

inshallah it will all go well sister...it's ok..parents will always be parents..if they worry over their children they will go out of their way to end that source of worry..

so just to recap..be patient..remain calm..make dua'a often..and pray Istikharah time and time again until you get an answer to your trouble..and inshallah you will receive what satisfies you and makes you happy..and i hope that i helped in some way..

take good care of yourself :)

wa alaikum assalam

must91

may Allah bring out the best solution

:salam2:

Panelist a muslimah86 gave you a good reply. adhere to it. the only thing i would suggest is to remain true to Allah (SWT) and be constant in your dua.

You could recite this dua. Our Nabi Muhammad (SWS) taught this dua to his grandson Hassan (ra).
This dua is to help you to make good decison/ judgment in all matters of life.

"Allahumma al himni rushdi wa a'idni min sharri nafsi"

:wasalam: