authenticity of sahih al bukhari?

hidaya

assalamualikum warahmatullah
i have always believed that sahih al bukhari is one hundred per cent authentic and we must believe the hadith in it without any hesitation,but i have heard people close to me commenting that only quran is to be believed like that not any other source.....
but i find it really hard to swallow that there is any mistakes in sahih al bukhari....
i would like brothers n sisters in the forum of how u view the authenticity of sahih al bukhari according to ur knowledge...
may ALLAH make our hearts firm in HIS religion till we meet him ameen.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
firstly, Quran is Word of Allah and Allah Himself took the responsibility to guard it from corruption.

but regarding Hadith, scholars who recorded them were humans too. and possibility of making errors was present.

secondly, regarding Sahih Bukhari, it has more than 2500 hadith. and scholars
find disagreement in hadith not more than 15-20. so that makes just 0.6%.

therefore, no need to worry. we can accept the hadiths in Bukhari and Muslim without any investigation.

since Imam Bukhari (ra) times, ulama have accepted them wholeheartedly.its only nowadays that ppl are pointing fingers on them. and they are mainly those ppl who wants us to follow only Quran and not hadith. but we cant understand Islam without sunnah.

Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Beware! I have been given the Qur'an and something like it, yet the time is coming when a man replete on his couch will say: Keep to the Qur'an; what you find in it to be permissible treat as permissible, and what you find in it to be prohibited treat as prohibited.

ummyasiin

Striving for Janatul firdous
firstly, Quran is Word of Allah and Allah Himself took the responsibility to guard it from corruption.

but regarding Hadith, scholars who recorded them were humans too. and possibility of making errors was present.

therefore, no need to worry. we can accept the hadiths in Bukhari and Muslim without any investigation.

since Imam Bukhari (ra) times, ulama have accepted them wholeheartedly.its only nowadays that ppl are pointing fingers on them. and they are mainly those ppl who wants us to follow only Quran and not hadith. but we cant understand Islam without sunnah.

Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Beware! I have been given the Qur'an and something like it, yet the time is coming when a man replete on his couch will say: Keep to the Qur'an; what you find in it to be permissible treat as permissible, and what you find in it to be prohibited treat as prohibited.

I agree brother! and Allah knows best:tti_sister:

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

find disagreement in hadith not more than 15-20.
so that makes just 0.6%.

Brother can you please explain it further? For the first time I heard that.

By the way, it is the Ijma' of 'Ulama that Shaheeh Al-Bukhari is the second most authentic book on the face of the earth. If there is Ijma' on anything in Islam, there will NEVER come anyone who can change it, no matter who it is. Ummah will not have Ijma' on anything bad. That is the Rule of Allah (subuhaanahu wata'aala).

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
IbnAdam said:
ahmed_indian said:
Brother can you please explain it further? For the first time I heard that.

By the way, it is the Ijma' of 'Ulama that Shaheeh Al-Bukhari is the second most authentic book on the face of the earth. If there is Ijma' on anything in Islam, there will NEVER come anyone who can change it, no matter who it is. Ummah will not have Ijma' on anything bad. That is the Rule of Allah (subuhaanahu wata'aala).

:salam2: brother,

yes, absolutely right. its second most authentic book after Quran.

but i think u got my viewpoint wrong. i meant disagreement over some hadeeth like whether Aisha (ra) age was 9 or not during marriage, etc.

ulama have disagreement over many matters: like witr are wajib or not, surah fatihah behind imam is compulsory or not, etc.

but that doesnt mean that they have ijma over a wrong act.

hope its clear now brother.
:wasalam:

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
:salam2: brother,

yes, absolutely right. its second most authentic book after Quran.

but i think u got my viewpoint wrong. i meant disagreement over some hadeeth like whether Aisha (ra) age was 9 or not during marriage, etc.

ulama have disagreement over many matters: like witr are wajib or not, surah fatihah behind imam is compulsory or not, etc.

but that doesnt mean that they have ijma over a wrong act.

hope its clear now brother.
:wasalam:

wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Absolutely cleared. JazakAllahu every Khair brother.

Also........

Ramadan Kareem. :):):):):)

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
It has unanimously been agreed that Imam Bukhari's work is the most authentic of all the other works in Hadith literature put together. The authenticity of Al-Bukhari's work is such that the religious learned scholars of Islam said concerning him: "The most authentic book after the Book of Allah (Al-Quran) is Sahih Al-Bukhari."

Many a story has been told about Imam Bukhari regarding his struggles in collecting Hadith literature. He travelled to many different places gathering the precious gems that fell from the lips of the Noble Prophet Muhammad (SAW). It is said that Imam Bukhari collected over 300,000 Ahadith and he himself memorized 200,000 of which some were unreliable. He was born at a time when Hadith was being forged either to please rulers or kings or to corrupt the religion of Islam.

It is said that Imam Bukhari (before compiling Sahih Al-Bukhari) saw in a dream, standing in front of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) having a fan in his hand and driving away the flies from the Prophet (SAW). Imam Bukhari asked some of those who interpret dreams, and they interpreted his dream that he will drive away the falsehood asserted against the Prophet (SAW).

So it was a great task for him to sift the forged Ahadith from the authentic ones. He laboured day and night and although he had memorized such a large number, he only chose approximately 7,275 with repetition and about 2,230 without repetition of which there is no doubt about their authenticity.

Before he recorded each Hadith, he would make ablution and offer a two Rak'at prayer and supplicated his Lord. Many religious scholars of Islam tried to find fault in the great remarkable collection - Sahih Al-Bukhari, but without success. It is for this reason, they unanimously agreed that the most authentic book after the Book of Allah is Sahih Al-Bukhari.

Taken from Sahih Al-Bukhari: Introduction.

MOSABJA

these kinds of things are spread by the sect that denies hadith and say that they only believe in quran

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Refutation of one who casts aspersions upon Saheeh al-Bukhaar

My Shia friend have posed a question to me as to how we can claim Sahih Bkhari to be Authentic when Imam Bukhari (May Allah Mercy be upon him) was present 400 years after the death of the Prophet.

Praise be to Allaah.
Imam al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) died in 256 AH, i.e., 245 years after the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) died, not as your Shi’i friend claims. But these people are natural liars so this claim comes as no surprise. That does not mean that al-Bukhaari could have narrated directly from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him); this is not what is meant at all. Rather we mention this here for the purpose of making things clear.

But how can we depend upon Saheeh al-Bukhaari when al-Bukhaari never met the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in person?

The answer is that in his Saheeh, al-Bukhaari did not narrate anything directly from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), rather he narrated from trustworthy shaykhs, who attained the highest degree of memorization, precision and trustworthiness, who in turn had narrated from equally reliable shaykhs, all the way back to the Sahaabah who narrated from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The smallest number of narrators between al-Bukhaari and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is three. So we rely upon Saheeh al-Bukhaari because he chose the narrators from whom he transmitted hadeeth with the utmost care, and they are the most trustworthy. Moreover, he would not write down any hadeeth in his Saheeh until he had done ghusl, then prayed two rak’ahs and prayed istikhaarah, asking Allaah to guide him with regard to writing down this hadeeth; then he would write it down. It took him sixteen years to write this book, which the ummah accepted and unanimously agreed that what is narrated in it is saheeh; and Allaah has protected this ummah from agreeing upon misguidance.

Imam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his introduction to Sharh Muslim (1/14): “The scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) are agreed that the most sound of books after the Qur’aan are the two Saheehs of al-Bukhaari and Muslim, which were accepted by the ummah. The book of al-Bukhaari is the more sound and the more beneficial of the two.”

If you ask this Shi’i (or Raafidi) about the sayings of ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) that their leaders have transmitted, and the sayings of al-Baaqir and Ja’far al-Saadiq, and others of Ahl al-Bayt (may Allaah have mercy on them), whether they heard them from them or transmitted them with isnaads (chains of narrators), the answer will be clear. There is a great difference between the isnaads of al-Bukhaari and the isnaads of these misguided people who cannot find the names of their chain of narrators in the reports except in the books of the weak narrators, liars and deficient narrators.

The claim made by this Raafidi (Shi’i) is simply the first step in attacking the Sunnah which demonstrates that their madhhab is false and their beliefs are corrupt. They cannot help but try to stir up trouble with these misguided notions. But they can never succeed, for the truth is clear and falsehood is confused.

Moreover we advise you – may Allaah help you – to look for Sunni friends from whose company you can benefit, and to avoid making friends with followers of bid’ah. The scholars have warned against making friends with them because they will keep on trying until they take a person far away from the truth by using all kinds of wiles and causing confusion.

We ask Allaah to help us and you to follow the Sunnah and to keep away from bid’ah and those who follow it.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A