becoming a female muslim doctor

sky_012

:salam2:

my sister is in medical field ans aspiring to become a doctor inshallah, and Mashallah in her studies she is on the top, she got a scholarship that only a few few ppl get, she is by the grace of Allah really hard working and intelligent since her youngest age

she is also a person whi wills to be a good muslimah

these days my lil and unique sis is really going though a depression phase :( , me my father and mother, don't know what to do

living in a european country she is scared that becoming a doctor is bad, becuase u also check males, at leat during ur internships during studies, then u can move in another country and choose to check onyl females, that's what my sis originially thought she would do

but now she is terrorized at the idea of becoming doctor due to this

when she started in this field she did istikhara, my mom asked to some ppl if there is a problem to become a doctor in a european country and ppl said no and on the contrary they encouraged her , we thought sendibng her back in our country so she can continue her studies, but practically for many reasons, it's not possible, because she won't live without us, she doesn't know well the langage, and deson't know the scientific english, so it would waste some years if she tries to adjust, knowing that medical studies, are already really long

so my sis wants to give up, she doesn't know what to do, and we in the family don't know what to advise her

i know it can appear as a tiny problem to others, but it's really serious :(, my sis gave everytyhing to pass her years at school, never going out, we all in our family did sacrifices to give her the best family environment and support during her studies, so she can suceed and feel happy in her life

so my question to you is: is it haraam or not good to study medical in the west, because it implies u check men?

i would sincerely be very gratefull if anyone could answer this question based on proofs from scholars or even quran

till today i have always tried to explain her, that curing someone ill, whether it is a man and woman is good, and body is something made by Allah which can become ill, and that's normal that u go and consult a doctor when u don't feel well, but as i don't have any proofs to say it's ok, i don't say anything now

jazak allah all of you

:wasalam:

Shahzad

well, wat i have heard from scholars is that if u are letting girls to study, then let them be a doctor so that they could cure the hijab ladies i.e. ladies who do hijab and dont open theirselves to other males.

consult ur local scholar abt the problem of checking males or visit www.askimam.com or www.albalagh.net for further queries

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
N.B. I'm not scholar ... but I'll give my personal opinion

Let her go to medical school ... Benefit out-weighs the harm (provided she is confident of her religion/manners). If not sure then get married to someone who is supportive and understanding (I know, easier said than done). Please note that this situation is the same for male muslims. It all boils down to your intentions. This is an excellent chance for herself and her religion, do not waste it.

While in medical school, she can use gloves and be chaperoned by a nurse all the time (standard practice, regardless of the sex of the patient/doctor). She can then move into a speciality where this dilemma does not exist (paediatrics/obs & gyn/lab based ..etc).

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum!

Sister, I can't tell you much right now, but there are some sisters here on TTI such as sister Sarah (Shyhijabi) who are in medical field

Just PM them as I am sure they have done some research on this subject.

Wassalam

awjarrar

female doctor

al salam alikom
i am a doctor , i studied in a jordan, muslim country , 40% of my class were females and a lot of them wear hijab, and they did rotations in surgery and urology which involved examining male patients thouroughly , also in my country there is a hospital called islamic hospital, it accepts female residents in general surgery ,agian this involves examinig males, one of the residents wear niqab and still learn surgery. and this is the situation in most of islamic countries, i think there is no contraversy at all about females going into medicine or going into surgery. the only contraversy is about males specializing into obstetric and gynacology. i dont know a frank -fatwa - but i think its acceptable. i encourge yr sister to go into medicine.but she have to take into consideration other issues, like long working hours tiresome nature of work and the fact that she is a female.
may ALLAH be with her.