Best English translation of The Qur'an

clairebnolan

Hello there.
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me which English translation of the Qur'an is best. I bought one recently but the language is very difficult. For example in sura 24 light verse 30 my translation says:
"Speak onto the believers that they restrain their eyes and observe continence. Thus will they be more pure. God is well aware of what they do."
I have read and heard better translations than this. I know that most Muslims believe that the Qur'an cannot be translated properly and therefore should not be translated at all but I am interested in reading it and just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to which translation or edition I should get.
Thank you

clairebnolan

I have seen some online but I find reading online difficult as it gives me sore eyes. I also prefer to have a book so I can bring it with me. I don't fancy printing it either as it is pretty long!! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

This is pretty popular so you'll find it in most Islamic bookshops. It's my favourite translation.

The Noble Quran
In the English Language
A Summarized Version of At-Tabari, Al-Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir
with comments from Sahih Al-Bukhari
By Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D.
Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

know that most Muslims believe that the Qur'an cannot be translated properly and therefore should not be translated at all

Actually, this is NOT true. It is permissible to translate the Qur'an but the English language can never encompass the true beauty of it.

wasalam

Veiled_Knight

thankx for the info
i own a Abdullahi Yusuf Ali translation n i love it
but if u say this translation is good than insha Allah i will buy it

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

He're a link to the same kind of question, you can find the translation Abdul-Raheem mentioned found on an online link there, if you would like to view it before buying it. But either way, it's good to have insha'allah.

Best Qur'aan translation

wasalam

clairebnolan

Thanks everyone for their replies. I have had a look at those links and the translation and layout is a lot better than the one I have.