Best translation of the Qur'an?

Shannonx

:salam2:
I'm going to go by Barnes & Noble sometime this week or next and i'm going to buy the Qu'ran. I'm just wondering which translation is the best and which one I should buy. I was looking at the online website and there's a lot of different people who have translated it from Arabic to English and I want to get the one with the best translation. Do any of you know which would be the best to get?

:wasalam:

palestine

Servant of Allah
ws, i don't know if they have it or not but the best top one is the translation by the guy name Ibn Kathir. he tells when the ayat was revealed meaning of it and why it was revealed. anyways i hope they have it.

Allahu_Hassbi

:salam2: Sister Shannox,
I will suggest you the name of Muhammad Muhsin Khan & Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali as one of the best translators of the Quran.I recommed this because the english used in it is easy & very simple to apprehend unlike the old english.
Here is a link i can provide:
http://www.iiu.edu.my/deed/quran/nobelquran/index_t.html
Also u can try this one which one will be easier for you by 3 different translators:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

hassenali

obedience to Allah
walaykum salam,
Ibn Kathir is best if you have plenty reading time, once you start you won't stop.
the link is www.tafsir.com
but most of the time i read Yousouf ali.

ed209

i read an article that the translation of Yusuf Ali is the most authorized english text by KSA government.in my country it's hard to buy such a translation so i downloaded the text from net and will print it by myself

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister Shannonx,

Noble Qur'an, the-English Translation of the Meanings and Commentary (Leather Bound)
by Dr. Muhammand Taqi-Ud-Din Al-Hilali (Author), Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan (Author)

Leather Bound
Publisher: King Fahd Complex (1998)
ISBN-10: 996077015X

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Noble-English...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199891658&sr=1-1

I'm not sure that you'll find this translation at Barnes and Noble.

================================

On a different note, please read all of the pages on the thread "Catholic priests say Allah". I have started that thread and posted several articles that will -God willing- be of great help in your situation.

Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20320

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

MTYKK

Banned
Muhammad Asad, HANDS DOWN.

Good luck finding anything worthwhile in Barnes and Noble, go to CAIR.com.

Also good, Ali Unal's new English Translation ($17 w/ lots of good commentary), Thomas Cleary (non-muslim), I also heard the Majestic Qur'an is good but don't have one yet.

GAZIJA

Staff member
Does anybody knows where can I download audio Quraan with translation?

I need it for my christioan co-worker, he said he rather listen to the translation then read it!!:salah:

Shannonx

Okay thank you everyone.

GAZIJA, I use to have it. I can't really remember the website but i'll look for it when I have time to. The Qur'an was recited in Arabic first, then translated into English it was really good. Once I find it i'll send you the link.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I also recommend the one by Shaykh Muhammad Taqee-ud-deen Al-Hilaali, rahmatullah`alayhi and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan. You may have difficulty with the information contained within the brackets, but it clarifies the meaning well. In other cases it is absolutely necessary, due to the translated meanings and the need for extra words (like 'is').

I've used the Saheeh International at times published by Abul-Qasim Publishing House, which is also pretty good, but I found that more useful only when studying parts of the Qur'aan in `Arabic (it seemed to be a more literal translation of the meanings and hence easier for me to grasp).

Hope it helps.

وعليكم السلام

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother Al-Kashmiri,

The Saheeh International edition was published by the King Fahd Complex?

Do you have the ISBN number of that edition?

I'm asking because I believe that the English of the Saheeh International edition is more fluent and therefore easier to follow, but that some notes on the Hilali and Khan translation are more correct. If it was published later on by the King Fahd Complex, then they may have made a better edition.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum brother Al-Kashmiri,

The Saheeh International edition was published by the King Fahd Complex?

Do you have the ISBN number of that edition?

I'm asking because I believe that the English of the Saheeh International edition is more fluent and therefore easier to follow, but that some notes on the Hilali and Khan translation are more correct. If it was published later on by the King Fahd Complex, then they may have made a better edition.

`Afwaan, its not published by them, but rather Abul-Qasim publishing house. underneath that it says "Kind Fahd National Library Cataloging-in-Publication Data".

I think all Abul-Qasim boosk say that though lol.

It also has Al-Muntada Al-Islami logos on the front and back. let me revise my other post.

JazaakAllaah khayr. I think similar to you on that issue, hence I use both depending on the purpose I wish to use it for.

Bluegazer

Thanks brother Al-Kashmiri,

I also have the edition published by Abul-Qasim Publishing House. But lately I only use the Hilali/Khan translation, found on the King Fahd Complex website. It's because of the notes and it's much easier and faster to copy and paste the translation than to transcribe it from the Saheeh International edition manually.

Thanks for the response, and may Allah reward you.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
ISBN 9960-792-63-3

If I'm memorising ayat i find it very useful maa shaa Allaah, otherwise I stick with my Darussalam print.

BaarakAllaahu feek

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Good websites.

You can find a very good translation as well as explanation of Quran at this website:

http://www.tafheem.net/main.html

On the left there is Index of chapters and on the right there are contents.
If you want to know the background of a chapter then click "Intro" (which is at the top) and read. Some chapters are long so they are divided into pieces e.g. verse [22-41] etc. It is easy.

===========================

And recently I found a good collection of audio MP3 of Quran with its translation and explanation in English. These are Fahm-ul-Quran lectures by Amina Elahi.

Here is the direct link:
http://is.aswatalislam.net/DisplayFilesP.aspx?TitleID=2103&TitleName=Amina_Elahi

If you have a MP3 player then you can listen to these good and heart warming audios in English all the time.

jamafg

Free

Salam to all muslim brothers and sisters,
I personally have a very best Holy Qur'an DVD with English and French translations and also Arabic transcription.
If you like to have it then please send me your details by PM and Inshallah, I'll send you a free copy.
:tti_sister: