Bikinis and Mens shower

Asalaamalikum,

Sorry brothers & sisters, but my brain sometimes thinks outside the box. This is something that bothers me when I think about, it is more or less intended for non-Muslims to think about:

Non-Muslim women wear bikinis like it is nothing :astag: When you think about it, bikinis are no different than a woman wearing an underwear and their bra. What makes it so different? These women get fooled just by the name, in reality they are pretty much the same thing.

If they feel comfortable wearing it when swimming, going to the beach, etc, while men stare at them, then why not wear it around in public all the time? It doesn't make any sense. I wonder if they ever think about this. It's so simple, yet probably very difficult for them to understand.

Another thing that bothers me is men showers. When you go to a mens locker room, you see all these guys walking around naked. Okay if that is permissable, then why do so many mens public restrooms have a wall between each wall toilet? Who know's, maybe there could be gay men staring at you or your influencing someone to become gay:astag: These people have no shame. This is probably why I never go swimming or to the beach.

Ummzaina

:salam2:
yes i agree with u , the thinking of non muslim women amazes me everyday.
:wasalam:

Assalaam alaikum,
Why talk about non muslim women when our very own sisters prefer to wear the hijab for every prayer then take it all off and put on revealing outfits while going out...isnt it amazing that we think we fool Allah by covering up while praying and uncovering in front of everyone else!!!!:astag:

I have even heard on the news that many muslim women around the world are becoming more concerned with their looks that some are even considering plastic surgery:astag: (and we call ourselves muslims).

I guess it is better for us first to look at our own little communities and try and help them see the right way before we point a finger at the non muslims as some non muslims are more closer to the Islamic way of life than many so called muslims I know.

But I do appreciate the point that many non muslims believe in very illogicall things in their daily practices and we as muslims must appreciate the fact that our Islamic lifestyle is the most logical way of life when practiced according to the Sunnah of Muhammad (SAW).
:wasalam:

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
Not all non-muslim women wish to wear bikinis. Way back in the day I wore a bikini once and felt uneasy as yes it did feel like wearing underwear in front of everyone.

Some non-muslim women do believe in being modest...they honestly do exist.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
Not all non-muslim women wish to wear bikinis. Way back in the day I wore a bikini once and felt uneasy as yes it did feel like wearing underwear in front of everyone.

Sure sister. Modesty is not the monopoly of certain people. But it's most common among committed Muslims if they are true to themselves and to their deen ;)

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best

Salam Aliakum

Sister this is true it is also true that some Muslim women (maybe non practicing) go to the beach and wear a bikini. I know this as I had a friend who was Muslim and dressed this way, actually it was more than just one friend. There are people who dress provocatively in ALL religions, although it does go against the religion itself

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
Modesty is a requirement of Islam....so we are going to be more modest! Just pointing out that even before Islam i was a modest person...and sure there are others! Not that you see many really!

bdot

But I do appreciate the point that many non muslims believe in very illogicall things in their daily practices

It is true. A little off topic, but if you think of some of the illogical things non-muslims due (and even some muslims, unfortunately) is dancing. When you think about it, its just shaking your body around purposelessly. And a club; it's just a room full of people gyrating and clapping to a bunch of noises coming out of a boom box. Useless! I don't even know how to dance, Alhamduillah. Sense seems only to come through faith and piety from what I've seen.

I was talking to some non-muslims about men's showers at my university just the last week. Their excuse for using them was that only insecure men have problems with it. How? I mean you wouldn't want to see another naked man outside the shower, what makes being inside the shower any different. I'd rather follow the actions of the Prophet Musa (as) who stayed away from group baths for men. That's why I change and everything at the back and most remote parts of the change room when I go to the gym, and wait till i get home to shower.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
It is true. A little off topic, but if you think of some of the illogical things non-muslims due (and even some muslims, unfortunately) is dancing. When you think about it, its just shaking your body around purposelessly. And a club; it's just a room full of people gyrating and clapping to a bunch of noises coming out of a boom box. Useless! I don't even know how to dance, Alhamduillah. Sense seems only to come through faith and piety from what I've seen.

There are better things to do than think about the "illogical" things non Muslims do.....what you just said is ignorance, there is ignorance about Islam all the time, all the sterotypes about us ect. Lets not copy that behaviour

BGfromGB

Bikinis etc.

There are beautiful women with beautiful bodies. They wear bikinis. Why not?
My daughters wear bikinis when they go swimming. There are so many people these days who wear bikinis that noone really takes notice any more. Its perverted people who ogle women with one thing in their minds are the sick ones. I go to the beach quite often with my wife and children and to be honest I've noticed that hardly no body really takes notice. They're all out there to have fun and enjoy themselves.
What surprises me that all the rapes that take place are not on the beaches . Not even naturist resorts. They happen in our parks and even in our own homes when the women are fully clothed.
If they wish to display their shapely figures, then that is their right. They are not causing any harm to anybody, unlike drug lords, paedophiles, rapists,gamblers drunkards and people who are obsessed with watching violent movies.
If it is a sin to wear a bikini, then that is a matter between them and their Almighty.
My daughters wear bikinis, and they also study the scriptures. My wife used to wear a bikini and I had no problem. We both study the scriptures and that's what matters.
If its not a problem then its not an issue

There are better things to do than think about the "illogical" things non Muslims do.....what you just said is ignorance, there is ignorance about Islam all the time, all the sterotypes about us ect. Lets not copy that behaviour

Asalaamalikum,

I disagree with you on this brother. How do you know if something is logical or illogical? How can you understand what is logical if you don't know its opposite? Logic may be simple and easy for you and I to understand - alhamdulillah becase we are Muslim, but to non-Muslims it's completly different. Yes, Islam is logic but sometimes you have to see it's opposite to understand it more. Just like the revert videos here.

You're telling me you don't think about/reflect/comtemplate something someone says or does wrong? Doesn't that help you appreciate Islam??

There are beautiful women with beautiful bodies. They wear bikinis. Why not?
My daughters wear bikinis when they go swimming. There are so many people these days who wear bikinis that noone really takes notice any more. Its perverted people who ogle women with one thing in their minds are the sick ones. I go to the beach quite often with my wife and children and to be honest I've noticed that hardly no body really takes notice. They're all out there to have fun and enjoy themselves.
What surprises me that all the rapes that take place are not on the beaches . Not even naturist resorts. They happen in our parks and even in our own homes when the women are fully clothed.
If they wish to display their shapely figures, then that is their right. They are not causing any harm to anybody, unlike drug lords, paedophiles, rapists,gamblers drunkards and people who are obsessed with watching violent movies.
If it is a sin to wear a bikini, then that is a matter between them and their Almighty.
My daughters wear bikinis, and they also study the scriptures. My wife used to wear a bikini and I had no problem. We both study the scriptures and that's what matters.
If its not a problem then its not an issue

Come on now, don't you know what a man is like or even a woman is like? Just because YOU don't notice doesn't mean there aren't any men looking at your wife. Think about it. Women are given the provision of beauty over men, why do you wan't to put your wife on "display" for other men, I'm sure she's more precious than that.

Don't you know that half naked women raises mens temptations and lust? These people don't notice, because to them it's normal, for a Muslim it's not normal. Life is fun, but if you knew you're limits (set by God) and the consequences for your action then you wouldn't do it. Even in the Bible it says women are suppose to dress modest.

You said it's the women's right, according to what? It's actually their choice, and like the core of Islamic belief, everyone is held accountable for their own actions.

Off course rape doesn't happen on the beach as much as it does else where, because the beach has security, life guards, people walking there all the time. Alot of beaches even close at night time, do you think women/people would go to the beach when it is night & cold?

If you study the scriptures you might of missed the part about dressing modesty. Any body can study a holy book, but if they don't implement it to their life then it's meaningless.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Asalaamalikum,

I disagree with you on this brother. How do you know if something is logical or illogical? How can you understand what is logical if you don't know its opposite? Logic may be simple and easy for you and I to understand - alhamdulillah becase we are Muslim, but to non-Muslims it's completly different. Yes, Islam is logic but sometimes you have to see it's opposite to understand it more. Just like the revert videos here.

You're telling me you don't think about/reflect/comtemplate something someone says or does wrong? Doesn't that help you appreciate Islam??

Alaikum Salam

First off I'm a sister, secondly I would prefer to not think about the unIslamic things people do, I know it exists, but there are more important things for me to be concerning myself with ie reading Quran, spreading dawa ect. It's not for me to worry about the faults of others. As well I have to point out only Allah (SWT) knows what is in a persons heart, only He can judge.

"Doesn't that help you appreciate Islam??["

I do not need other people to help me appreciate Islam

Alaikum Salam

First off I'm a sister, secondly I would prefer to not think about the unIslamic things people do, I know it exists, but there are more important things for me to be concerning myself with ie reading Quran, spreading dawa ect. It's not for me to worry about the faults of others. As well I have to point out only Allah (SWT) knows what is in a persons heart, only He can judge.

"Doesn't that help you appreciate Islam??["

I do not need other people to help me appreciate Islam

Asalaamalikum,

Sorry for calling you a brother, sister.

If you know it exists, then you do and have thought about it. It's not like I go around thinking about the faults of non-Muslims, I worry about my own faults first.

I think we are saying the same thing, but it's sometimes difficult to communicate over the internet, you know.

Different people appreciate Islam in different ways, that's why it's universal :)

----------------------------------------------
Verily, never will Allah change the condition of a people until they change what is within themselves (13:11)

Raed

Muslim Student
Come on now, don't you know what a man is like or even a woman is like? Just because YOU don't notice doesn't mean there aren't any men looking at your wife. Think about it. Women are given the provision of beauty over men, why do you wan't to put your wife on "display" for other men, I'm sure she's more precious than that.

Don't you know that half naked women raises mens temptations and lust? These people don't notice, because to them it's normal, for a Muslim it's not normal. Life is fun, but if you knew you're limits (set by God) and the consequences for your action then you wouldn't do it. Even in the Bible it says women are suppose to dress modest.

You said it's the women's right, according to what? It's actually their choice, and like the core of Islamic belief, everyone is held accountable for their own actions.

Off course rape doesn't happen on the beach as much as it does else where, because the beach has security, life guards, people walking there all the time. Alot of beaches even close at night time, do you think women/people would go to the beach when it is night & cold?

If you study the scriptures you might of missed the part about dressing modesty. Any body can study a holy book, but if they don't implement it to their life then it's meaningless.

agree with you brother and jazakallah khyran, now that guy he is not making any sense as all brothers and sisters can notice here, but anyway he is seeing things from one very narrow angle , and thats normal for someone who dosent want to think deeply, anyway , i hope he would be able to think more deeplay in future, and by the way we are all human beings we cant think in a very wide vision, whatever god said is the right thing to do if you deeply think, because he is god and created us (human)...
Wa slam

BGfromGB

Because I wear a costume and so does my wife, to the swimming pool/beach, does not mean my belief in my faith is meaningless'
Other people look at my wife. I look at other peoples wives. If it's for ulterior motives, then that is sinful. God does not prescribe a dress code. As for modesty? Well that's not defined either. Women swimming in the olympic games wearing tight fitting costumes. Is that considered immodest??
Its neither in the scriptures or the Qur'an. We even look at muslim women even when they are dressed to the hilt. It happens all the time whether they are fully dressed or not. Yes the scriptures talk about modesty. Is wearing a bikini for the purpose of going for a swim and having a tan a sin? Of course not.
My wife is precious to me. She trusts me I trust her.
I do not "own" her. God owns her. She is a lifelong companion given to me by God as an equal person who God has united in matrimony. If i can wear a costume then she can. There is no sin there.
Now,Lets also put it the other way round. A muscular man wearing a costume. Are you telling me that women, and I mean all women, muslims included, look at these men and do not have the same feelings of lust as men do?
That means men too must dress 'modestly'.
If you find it really offensive then don't go to the beach.
Yes it is her choice and that is her right.
And God sets sets limits. In a sense you're probably right there. But if you transgress those limits then you sin. And when you sin you're answerable to God and nobody else. That means if I look at an attractive woman with a lustful heart, then I have transgressed Gods limits. And if I dont, despite the temptation, then my heart is with God and he will reward me. HE has given me that choice in the face of temptation. Its up to me and only me as a grown up adult to make that choice

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
Its neither in the scriptures or the Qur'an.

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (33:59)

I don't know if there is a clear similar command in the Bible bkz I've not read it yet. But I am almost sure the Bible encourages chastity and Modesty because it was originally from God. I stand corrected if wrong.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
I do not "own" her. God owns her. She is a lifelong companion given to me by God as an equal person who God has united in matrimony. If i can wear a costume then she can. There is no sin there.

Now,Lets also put it the other way round. A muscular man wearing a costume. Are you telling me that women, and I mean all women, muslims included, look at these men and do not have the same feelings of lust as men do?
That means men too must dress 'modestly'.

Dear BGfromGB, this is a wrong stereotype about Muslims. If Muslims owned women, women wouldn't have inheritance rights and divorce rights. (which they had 1400 yrs ago and still have). And yes, Muslims dont own their women, neither strangers own Muslim women or men, this is why both wear modestly.

Correction: Men also are ordered by God to wear modestly and not to wear tight or transparent cloths:

God says in Sura Nur (tr. of meaning):
Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. (24:30)

Salam

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Hi,

Hi, BG
Its neither in the scriptures or the Qur'an.
I dont know what you understand by SCRIPTURES because the ones who claim to know the SCRIPTURES understand modesty like this,
Levels of modesty required according to Orthodox Judaism
Main article: Tzniut
There are several levels to the observance of physical and personal modesty (tzniut) according to Orthodox Judaism as derived from various sources in halakha Observance of these rules varies from aspirational to mandatory to routine across the spectrum of Orthodox stricture and observance.
  • A prohibition on dwelling on lascivious or immoral thoughts.
  • A prohibition on staring at members of the opposite sex, particularly at the reproductive anatomy.
  • A requirement to keep most of one's body clothed in respectable clothing.
  • A requirement to avoid the company of uncouth individuals and avoid frequenting places where an atmosphere of levity and depravity prevails.
  • A prohibition on looking at pictures or scenes that will be sexually arousing.
  • A prohibition on touching a person of the opposite sex, especially in a lingering arousing manner (shaking hands very quickly in greeting between sexes is a point of dispute, and depends on one's rabbi's halachic decision).
  • A prohibition on wearing the clothing of a member of the opposite sex.
  • A prohibition on looking at animals or birds copulating.
  • A prohibition on erotically hugging (chibuk) or kissing (nishuk) one's spouse in public,
  • A prohibition on sexual contact or touching between spouses when the wife is a niddah ("menstruant") or has not immersed in a mikvah following the niddah period.
  • A prohibition on seclusion with a person of the opposite sex who is not a spouse or close relative (Yichud)
  • A requirement that men and women be separated during prayer, dancing, and on certain other occasions Mechitza)
  • A prohibition on sex between men, or with any type of animal, or with a corpse.

I provided the evidences from Orthodox Judaism because modesty is dealt with in details in Old Testament and that Rabbis drawn rules of modesty from there and IT IS A PART OF SCRIPTURES if you believe in it.

:salam2: Brother BGfrom GB
An-Noor (The Light)
Surah: 24 Aya: 31
Waqul lilmu/minati yaghdudna min absarihinna wayahfathna furoojahunna wala yubdeena zeenatahunna illa ma thahara minha walyadribna bikhumurihinna AAala juyoobihinna wala yubdeena zeenatahunna illa libuAAoolatihinna aw aba-ihinna aw aba-i buAAoolatihinna aw abna-ihinna aw abna-i buAAoolatihinna aw ikhwanihinna aw banee ikhwanihinna aw banee akhawatihinna aw nisa-ihinna aw ma malakat aymanuhunna awi alttabiAAeena ghayri olee al-irbati mina alrrijali awi alttifli allatheena lam yathharoo AAala AAawrati alnnisa-i wala yadribna bi-arjulihinna liyuAAlama ma yukhfeena min zeenatihinna watooboo ila Allahi jameeAAan ayyuha almu/minoona laAAallakum tuflihoona

Translation

31. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful.