Blah, Easter is awkward for me :/

alf2

Islam is a way of life
First, forgive me Moderators if this is not in the right spot. I did struggle on where to put this and decided here >_<

Anyway, this is my first Easter as a Muslim and It was quite awkward for me. Since I still live with my VERY Christian family. I declined going to church, that was a battle. I declined the Egg-hunt thing, that caused a fight. And then at dinner, they had ham with a LOT of wine...and I just rolled my eyes and ate my vegetarian plate and iced tea.

My family is in denial that I am a Muslim, even though I'm going to college and am an adult. I dread Christmas....:(

I am wondering, how many of you are reverts who have Christian families?
And how do you deal with the Pagan-inspired holidays that your Christian families celebrate?

I want to eat and be with them on these days, but of course there is Church and gifts..I am torn on what is acceptable. Can i eat dinner with them on these days? Do I take the gifts they give me?

Assalam alaikum sister i am also new revert this was my 1st Easter however i had reverted before last Christmas(may 2009)i am in exactly the same situation with my family well my mum and daughter as the rest of the family have disowned me since i reverted i married a muslim brother and from what i believe we are not allowed to participate in any celebration that imitates that of non-believers. so at christmas we can not give and recieve gifts or join in the family meal also if there is alcohol of any type at the table you cant sit with them even if you are not drinking yourself the same for any other non-believing celebration ie birthdays,Easter etc however you can give gifts at any time of the year just as a gift not connected to their celebration. i really do know the difficulty this causes when youve grown up in a christian family and suddenly you change my family think ive been brainwashed my daughter and my mother have just started to come round slightly one thing they find hard to accept is me wearing hijab. however we have to be strong and stick to our new religion and do everything to please Allah(swt) not please the non-believers its not easy but keep strong sister.oh and also even if they say "happy Easter etc we cant reply. dont forget we have two beautiful Eid festivals to celebrate and they won,t join us will they!.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh Sister,

Here's some threads I was able to searched to lift up your spirits and to add some strengths

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60808

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20032

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48587

Basically its not regarding Easter, but there are rulings on how to cope with non-Islamic celebrations. And I do know that there are many reverts here who struggle with their non-Muslim families and environment. And you can actually browse around for more threads if you want to :)

InshaAllaah stay strong Sister! Allaah and we, your sisters in Islam are always with you!

Wassalam.

weakslave

May Allaah make things easy for you. You have several challenges now, and the first step in making it easy for yourself is identifying every one of those challenges. I mean literally write them down.

Read surat-ul-Kafiroon, you might find comfort in it.

arzafar

perhaps you should ask your family whether Jesus (pbuh) or his celebrate Easter, Christmas? did he order his followers to celebrate these?
tell them you are following in the footsteps of Jesus because obedience is the ultimate sign of love. Muslims love Jesus (and all other prophets) above ourselves and our families. Jesus did not follow the church, paul or the pope nor did he order his followers to follow such institutions. It may just open their eyes to the lies they have been told.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh Sister,

Here's some threads I was able to searched to lift up your spirits and to add some strengths

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60808

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20032

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48587

Basically its not regarding Easter, but there are rulings on how to cope with non-Islamic celebrations. And I do know that there are many reverts here who struggle with their non-Muslim families and environment. And you can actually browse around for more threads if you want to :)

InshaAllaah stay strong Sister! Allaah and we, your sisters in Islam are always with you!

Wassalam.

Jazakallah khair for these threads :3
I'm still learning the navigation of this site.

perhaps you should ask your family whether Jesus (pbuh) or his celebrate Easter, Christmas? did he order his followers to celebrate these?
tell them you are following in the footsteps of Jesus because obedience is the ultimate sign of love. Muslims love Jesus (and all other prophets) above ourselves and our families. Jesus did not follow the church, paul or the pope nor did he order his followers to follow such institutions. It may just open their eyes to the lies they have been told.

I have told my family (in a hostile attitude) that Jesus (pbuh) was not born on Christmas, and Easter is more Pagan in origin with the eggs and all, but they really are too lazy to look it up themselves and would have to hear it from a pastor. I even talked to their pastor, he is a medical doctor, and of course knows these things.

But he wont tell them because he says it may confuse his congregation.
Withholding historic information? SHAME!

@ everyone else:
Jazakallah khair for your comments! I'm glad to see other people in the situation, even though it's a terrible situation to be in.

kayleigh

I've been through a few Easters living in a very religious (Christian) household. I didn't attend Church this year because I had to work. In the past, I went to church and declined to take part in the singing and praying, etc. and just focused on the parts of the sermon that do not conflict with Islam (difficult but possible depending on the sermon).

I used to have a huge problem with going to church, but now I don't. It makes my parents happy if I go on holidays even though they know I don't believe in it, and I personally believe that what is in your heart matters more. So as long as I'm not believing in the sermon, just being in the same room as everyone else isn't going to matter.

I've never understood why ham is the traditional meal for Easter. Jesus was a Jew, and didn't eat pork. It makes more sense to eat lamb, actually, and I do know Christians who eat lamb instead - usually Eastern Orthodox Christians.

4mMadara2Amina

As Salam Alykom :)

Same here... "My" first "Easter" by being Muslim. Well my mother even sent me a greetings by SMS and friends, but I was need to answer it is not the celebration day for me as I am Muslim now. I guess they might think as I left my country I have been "put my noise up", but the reason is different. I was need to simply ignore those things. My family ALHAMDULILLAH - mother and sister, accepted me by being Muslim, but others still dislike it. May ALLAH help all the Muslims in the whole world, especially reverts by holding they faith all along their lifes. Ameen.