Blood test before Marriage...

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

the reason we have blood tests is because if people have the same bllod typr there is a high risk of the child becoming retarded. therefore if your blood is the same the will not issue the license because they feel it's like intentionally making a child retarded. that's also why it is illegal in america to marry any relatives up through 3rd cousins. because if you marry your cousin your blood may be similar or the same and you put a child at risk for retardation.

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

There is another procedure used to determine retardation. It involves the amino acids of the fetus. As far as retardation with closely genetically linked relatives...there is more evidence suggesting that is not true...I am the product of generations of Muslims marrying first cousins..No...if Allah has allowed it ..think...
the non-Islamic world came up with a lot of "science" and measurement..much of that is in doubt today. I have written about this in the past. There is philosphical debate about genetics even.
You help me to continue asking the question do we follow the Law of Allah or do we fall for non-Islamic judgement for our marriage rites.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Salaam,

There is another procedure used to determine retardation. It involves the amino acids of the fetus. As far as retardation with closely genetically linked relatives...there is more evidence suggesting that is not true...I am the product of generations of Muslims marrying first cousins..No...if Allah has allowed it ..think...
the non-Islamic world came up with a lot of "science" and measurement..much of that is in doubt today. I have written about this in the past. There is philosphical debate about genetics even.
You help me to continue asking the question do we follow the Law of Allah or do we fall for non-Islamic judgement for our marriage rites.

:salam2:

there are countless numbers of cases especially in the more rural parts of america where the people have been inbred for numerous generations and the rate of retardation is much higher due to it. i did not say that i agree that blood tests be done. but i was giving the reason as to why they are done. yes we are permitted to marry our first cousins. me personally i'll never be comfortable with marrying my first cousin, it wouldn't feel right to me. that's just me. but it cannot be denied that blood of certain types can increase the risks of retardation or learning disabilities. it doesn't mean that it's a given that it will happen.

:wasalam:

MubarekMuslimah

Asslaamau alaikum brother nyekareem

Sorry I do not understand this as a possible reason for the blood tests before marrisgae. What you are talking about is not blood groups but DNA - genetics - and if two people closely related, i.e with too similar DNA have a child, there is a high risk of the child having some kind of disorder or illness or disability ( I dont think 'retarded' is a very acceptable word to use nowadays BTW)

But if this were the case - surely a couple when they went to get married would know if they were related to each other in some kind of way already?? the only way they would not know is if they lived in a village where cousin marriage etc happened alot and by some kind of connection they ended up being related and not knowing it - this is not likely to happen in a city

Plus the other thing I dont get is that even if a blood test showed up they had related DNA ( cousins or something) its no guarantee that they would have a child with a problem = many don't as we know. Its all the Will of Allah swt and He has allowed us to marry our first cousins so issues like DNA should not be our concern - if he gives the couple a healthy child alhamdulillah and if not - well then alhamdulillah for the child still and any problem they have is a test from Allah swt. I dont think trying to second guess Allah swt's will through inconclusive vblood tests is Islamic or accurate and I am not sure its the reason here as mentioned in the first post ( though of course if you know otherwise for sure please say and my apologies)

Forgive me I am coming at this from the UK angle where this is not heard of or a requirewment for marriage ( unless of course the couple choose to do it personally) so I am surprised there are mosques insisiting on this. Does anyone who goes to one of these mosques know the reason - ie have they spoken to the Imam about it?? Or is it just US Law in some States and its just something the mosques are being made to do??

Salaams