Breathing of a soul into a body??

helpinghumanity

Assalamo alaikum wa rahmatullah

I pray that all of you are in the best of health and eeman.

When is a soul breathed into a fetus? It is after 120 days or 40 days? and
Is the time period for the three stages of fetus i.e nutfah, alaqa and mudghah equal to 120 days (40 days for each stage) or is it 40 days for all three stages?

Reference:
Bukhari and Muslim said:
Abu 'Abd al-Rahman 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported: The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, the most truthful, the most trusted, told us:

"Verily the creation of any one of you takes place when he is assembled in his mother's womb; for forty days he is as a drop of fluid, then it becomes a clot for a similar period. Thereafter, it is a lump looking like it has been chewed for a similar period. Then an angel is sent to him, who breathes the ruh (spirit) into him. This Angel is commanded to write Four decrees: that he writes down his provision (rizq), his life span, his deeds, and whether he will be among the wretched or the blessed.

I swear by Allah - there is no God but He - one of you may perform the deeds of the people of Paradise till there is naught but an arm's length between him and it, when that which has been written will outstrip him so that he performs the deeds of the people of the Hell Fire; one of you may perform the deeds of the people of the Hell Fire, till there is naught but an arm's length between him and it, when that which has been written will overtake him so that he performs the deeds of the people of Paradise and enters therein."

Jazakumullah Khairun

wassalam

R2754N

:wasalam: brother,

i hav studied abt human reproduction in my plus two classes.here i will share some details abt ur doubt.

Development of foetus

The basic structure of body is formed during the first 3 months (first trimester) of pregnancy.it involves cell division, cell migration,&the differentiation of cells.during thi period the developing baby is called foetus.by 3 months all the organs of the baby is developed.aftr d completion of 3 months,development of the foetus is mainly concentrated on growth & minor structural modifications.

The human pregnancy lasts 9 months

1. After 1 month of pregnancy---> The embryo's heart is formed.
2. By the end of second month---> The foetus develops limp & digits
3. By the end of 12 weeks (first trimester)---> Most of d major or organ systems are formed.eg: d limbs & external genital organs are well-developed.
4. During the fifth month---> The first movements of the foetus & appearance of hair on the head are observed.
5. BY the end of 24 weeks (secnd trimester)---> The body is covered with fine hair,eye-lids seperate,& eye lashes r formed.
6. By the end of 9 months-------------------------> The foetus is fully developed & is ready for delivery.

and the first sign of growing foetus may be noticed by listening to the HEART SOUND carefully through the stethoscope.

frm this it is clear that the soul is breathed into the body aftr 40 days.ie aftr the formation of heart.
i hope ur doubt is cleared.

muhammad sabri

:salam2:,
Dear brother this argument is still discussed today wether the time of the breathing of the soul is 40 or 120 days, normally the answer most accepted is 120 and i'll tell you why:
First of all in the Quran Allah swt tells us that AFTER the foetus is covered by bones and flesh it becomes a new creature..infact Allah swt says:

“And verily We did create man from a quintessence (of clay). Then We placed him (as a drop of sperm) in a place of rest, firmly fixed. Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood. Then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump. Then We made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh.THEN We developed out of it another creature (by breathing life into it). So blessed be Allah, the most marvellous Creator” (Sura al-Mu’minun V: 12-13-14).

But yet the jurists wanted to clarify this verse by looking at the hadiths, and so we must turn to this..:

In the Hadith recorded by the two most authentic authorities, Imam al-Bukhari and Imam Muslim (may Allah have mercy on them both) in their respective Sahih collections, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) discusses in detail the periods elapsing between these stages mentioned in the Qur’an.

Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Mas’ud (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

((إنَّ أحدكم يُجمَع خَلْقُه في بطن أمه أربعين يومًا، ثم يكون علقةً مثل ذلك، ثم يكون مُضغةً مثل ذلك، ثم يَبعث الله ملكًا فيُؤمر بأربع كلمات، ويقال له: اكتُبْ عملَه، ورزقَه، وأجلَه، و شقيٌّ أو سعيدٌ، ثم يُنفخ فيه الروح))

“Each one of you is constituted in the womb of the mother for forty days, and then he becomes a clot of thick blood for a similar period, and then a piece of flesh for a similar period. Then Allah sends an angel who is ordered to write four things. He is ordered to write down his deeds, his livelihood, his (date of) death, and whether he will be blessed or wretched (in religion). Then the soul is breathed into him…” (Sahih al-Bukhari no: 3036).

Based on the above Qur’anic verse and Hadith, the jurists (fuqaha) have inferred that the soul (ruh) enters the foetus at around 4 months/120 days after gestation.

This is the hadith most commonly accepted that brings the 120 OPTION to be the main choice..AND ALLAH KNOWS BEST--- I hope this has been helpful :) and may Allah swt increase us in knowledge, elevate us, love us more and increase our love for Him(swt) so that inch'Allah we may meet Him by having Him (swt) be pleased with us for veirly there is no God but Allah, an-Nur(The Light), al-Wadud(The Loving One)

:wasalam: dear brother

helpinghumanity

:wasalam: brother,
frm this it is clear that the soul is breathed into the body aftr 40 days.ie aftr the formation of heart.
i hope ur doubt is cleared.

Jazakumullah Khairun sister for the reply.

Indeed I have learned something new. So is this the reason for allowing abortion before 40 days?

muhammad sabri said:
::salam2:
Dear brother this argument is still discussed today wether the time of the breathing of the soul is 40 or 120 days

:wasalam: Brother

There is a great deal of difference of opinion on this subject. What I was trying to learn was that which opinion co-relates with the scientific fact.

afshankausar

ASSALAAMUALAIKUM

:salam2:,
Dear brother this argument is still discussed today wether the time of the breathing of the soul is 40 or 120 days, normally the answer most accepted is 120 and i'll tell you why:
First of all in the Quran Allah swt tells us that AFTER the foetus is covered by bones and flesh it becomes a new creature..infact Allah swt says:

“And verily We did create man from a quintessence (of clay). Then We placed him (as a drop of sperm) in a place of rest, firmly fixed. Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood. Then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump. Then We made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh.THEN We developed out of it another creature (by breathing life into it). So blessed be Allah, the most marvellous Creator” (Sura al-Mu’minun V: 12-13-14).

But yet the jurists wanted to clarify this verse by looking at the hadiths, and so we must turn to this..:

In the Hadith recorded by the two most authentic authorities, Imam al-Bukhari and Imam Muslim (may Allah have mercy on them both) in their respective Sahih collections, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) discusses in detail the periods elapsing between these stages mentioned in the Qur’an.

Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Mas’ud (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

((إنَّ أحدكم يُجمَع خَلْقُه في بطن أمه أربعين يومًا، ثم يكون علقةً مثل ذلك، ثم يكون مُضغةً مثل ذلك، ثم يَبعث الله ملكًا فيُؤمر بأربع كلمات، ويقال له: اكتُبْ عملَه، ورزقَه، وأجلَه، و شقيٌّ أو سعيدٌ، ثم يُنفخ فيه الروح))

“Each one of you is constituted in the womb of the mother for forty days, and then he becomes a clot of thick blood for a similar period, and then a piece of flesh for a similar period. Then Allah sends an angel who is ordered to write four things. He is ordered to write down his deeds, his livelihood, his (date of) death, and whether he will be blessed or wretched (in religion). Then the soul is breathed into him…” (Sahih al-Bukhari no: 3036).

Based on the above Qur’anic verse and Hadith, the jurists (fuqaha) have inferred that the soul (ruh) enters the foetus at around 4 months/120 days after gestation.

This is the hadith most commonly accepted that brings the 120 OPTION to be the main choice..AND ALLAH KNOWS BEST--- I hope this has been helpful :) and may Allah swt increase us in knowledge, elevate us, love us more and increase our love for Him(swt) so that inch'Allah we may meet Him by having Him (swt) be pleased with us for veirly there is no God but Allah, an-Nur(The Light), al-Wadud(The Loving One)

:wasalam: dear brother

Brother...one doubt here ( apart from d disscussion going here...). Regarding ur quote saying...

Then Allah sends an angel who is ordered to write four things. He is ordered to write down his deeds, his livelihood, his (date of) death, and whether he will be blessed or wretched (in religion). Then the soul is breathed into him…”
I wonder, if it is decided who will be blessed in religion and who will not be...If it is so, then what is d role of free will which Allaah taala gave us...if it is true, then it means a christian is christian bcoz Allaah taala made him christian, then why will he be judged...I REALLY DIDNT UNDERSTAND THE POINT.

PLZ shed light on issue
Jazak Allaahu khyir
do remember in orayers.

helpinghumanity

Brother...one doubt here ( apart from d disscussion going here...). Regarding ur quote saying...

Then Allah sends an angel who is ordered to write four things. He is ordered to write down his deeds, his livelihood, his (date of) death, and whether he will be blessed or wretched (in religion). Then the soul is breathed into him…”
I wonder, if it is decided who will be blessed in religion and who will not be...If it is so, then what is d role of free will which Allaah taala gave us...if it is true, then it means a christian is christian bcoz Allaah taala made him christian, then why will he be judged...I REALLY DIDNT UNDERSTAND THE POINT.

PLZ shed light on issue
Jazak Allaahu khyir
do remember in orayers.

Al-Qadar can be categorized as:

Al-Qadar al-Kulli - the general qadar which has been recorded by Allah in Al-Lauhulmahfudz or the Preserved Tablet.
Al-Qadar al-Sanawi - the annual qadar which takes place once a year (Lailatul qadar) - where it matchs what has been written in Al-Lauhulmahfudz.

What has been written in Al-Lauhulmahfudz is only known to Allah. It is not revealed to us - we don't know about our destiny, what our rizq is, where we'll end up, etc. To us it is ghaib and unknown.

We are simply being told about Ilmu Allah or the ultimate knowledge of Allah. What has been written does not cause us to do what we do. It is not a cause and affect situation. Many Muslims believe that as it has already been written, therefore this will cause us to do whatever has been written. The truth is even though it has been written and even though we will do it, we will not do it because it has been written. It is actually an association, or a matching. What we are going to do matches the knowledge of Allah, because Allah's knowledge is ultimate. In other words, what we are going to do matches what has been written. This shows the glory of Allah, the ultimate knowledge of Allah. So we should not have the understanding that things are imposed on us. Otherwise this will nullify the whole concept of iman (faith) and the whole concept of Creation and all other related concepts.

~Muslimah~

Al-Qadar al-Kulli - the general qadar which has been recorded by Allah in Al-Lauhulmahfudz or the Preserved Tablet.
Al-Qadar al-Sanawi - the annual qadar which takes place once a year (Lailatul qadar) - where it matchs what has been written in Al-Lauhulmahfudz.

What has been written in Al-Lauhulmahfudz is only known to Allah. It is not revealed to us - we don't know about our destiny, what our rizq is, where we'll end up, etc. To us it is ghaib and unknown.

We are simply being told about Ilmu Allah or the ultimate knowledge of Allah. What has been written does not cause us to do what we do. It is not a cause and affect situation. Many Muslims believe that as it has already been written, therefore this will cause us to do whatever has been written. The truth is even though it has been written and even though we will do it, we will not do it because it has been written. It is actually an association, or a matching. What we are going to do matches the knowledge of Allah, because Allah's knowledge is ultimate. In other words, what we are going to do matches what has been written. This shows the glory of Allah, the ultimate knowledge of Allah. So we should not have the understanding that things are imposed on us.
Otherwise this will nullify the whole concept of iman (faith) and the whole concept of Creation and all other related concepts.

Salaam Bro 'helping humanity'
This same thought had crossed my mind since a very long time now, and you have now cleared it, Jazakallah khair brother. May Allah reward you :blackhijab:
:wasalam:

afshankausar

We are simply being told about Ilmu Allah or the ultimate knowledge of Allah. What has been written does not cause us to do what we do. It is not a cause and affect situation. Many Muslims believe that as it has already been written, therefore this will cause us to do whatever has been written. The truth is even though it has been written and even though we will do it, we will not do it because it has been written. It is actually an association, or a matching. What we are going to do matches the knowledge of Allah, because Allah's knowledge is ultimate. In other words, what we are going to do matches what has been written. This shows the glory of Allah, the ultimate knowledge of Allah. So we should not have the understanding that things are imposed on us. Otherwise this will nullify the whole concept of iman (faith) and the whole concept of Creation and all other related concepts.

Alhamdulillaah! this is Allaah's glory.
I have no doubt in this.

But still my point is not clear..Its regarding if Allaah has already decided who will be born as muslim and who wont be...I am sorry but still not clear.
No doubt in Allaah's wisdom ( can nvr have) regarding destiny but ds particular point needs more elaboration.
Even there is one verse in Quran which says that Allaah has locked hearts and blind-folded d eyes of non-blvrs and they will not receive the message...I need more elaboration and help on this.
Jazak Allaahu khyir.

muhammad sabri

Alhamdulillaah! this is Allaah's glory.
I have no doubt in this.

But still my point is not clear..Its regarding if Allaah has already decided who will be born as muslim and who wont be...I am sorry but still not clear.
No doubt in Allaah's wisdom ( can nvr have) regarding destiny but ds particular point needs more elaboration.
Even there is one verse in Quran which says that Allaah has locked hearts and blind-folded d eyes of non-blvrs and they will not receive the message...I need more elaboration and help on this.
Jazak Allaahu khyir.

:salam2: dear,
we are all born as muslims and pure monotheis and this is why a child who dies before the age of puberty goes to jannah, because the child's natural disposition is monotheis, BUT society, family etc changes this disposition and this is where our intellect kick in,thank to it we can ponder over what Allah swt has send to us and start practicing our freedom of choice :) hope it helps
:)

muhammad sabri

Jazakumullah Khairun sister for the reply.

Indeed I have learned something new. So is this the reason for allowing abortion before 40 days?

:wasalam: Brother

There is a great deal of difference of opinion on this subject. What I was trying to learn was that which opinion co-relates with the scientific fact.

:salam2:

dear i'm sorry if wasn't cler enough, i was just trying to write a good introduction, however if you read on i give you the response and i re-quote it for you :):

''This is the hadith most commonly accepted that brings the 120 OPTION to be the main choice..''

hope it helps :) wa salam!
:wasalam:

afshankausar

:salam2: dear,
we are all born as muslims and pure monotheis and this is why a child who dies before the age of puberty goes to jannah, because the child's natural disposition is monotheis, BUT society, family etc changes this disposition and this is where our intellect kick in,thank to it we can ponder over what Allah swt has send to us and start practicing our freedom of choice :) hope it helps
:)

Assalaamualaikum Brother
Its d blessing of Allaah that we r born in muslim families as monotheists...But R u happy wd ds that u going to enjoy Jannaah and d choicest bounties, leaving d whole world behind...what about those who r not born in muslim families..wat about those sisters and brothers who have not received the message n r living in darkness...Dont ur heart ever think about them...I want to know that Is it Allaah who has decided that they will not receive d message ??
I m really not clear on d issue about destiny regarding this...plz show me light.

muhammad sabri

Assalaamualaikum Brother
Its d blessing of Allaah that we r born in muslim families as monotheists...But R u happy wd ds that u going to enjoy Jannaah and d choicest bounties, leaving d whole world behind...what about those who r not born in muslim families..wat about those sisters and brothers who have not received the message n r living in darkness...Dont ur heart ever think about them...I want to know that Is it Allaah who has decided that they will not receive d message ??
I m really not clear on d issue about destiny regarding this...plz show me light.

:salam2:
Dear sister this is an easy and hard matter in the same time but i'll try to make it simple..:) inch'Allah.
Allah(swt) has given us humans freechoice and our freechoice can influence other people, otherwise we wouldn't be living in a ''social'' way. But we socialize, we interact and influence each others and this thing also happen on our children.
They are born with the natural disposition of being pure monotheists but society changes this, people change this i'll give you an example: if you are born a human and then you're raised and educated as an animal what would your behaviour be like? it would be like an animal :), AND this same thing happen in our life, we are born with the natural disposition of believing in ONE CREATOR but we CAN be educated to believe otherwise. BUT Allah's Rahma is GREAT and he gave us the instrument to be free and not influenced by this..you know how? BY INTELLECT! when we are educated we also start to UNDERSTAND things and we choose things, and this is why Allah swt sent un Revelations to see if we would choose Him(swt) over our ego and over people.
This test is really great but Allah swt chose this type of test because it is balanced to the type of reward: looking at His(swt) face different from any other thing in the creation! Allah swt loves,He wants to forgives us, He wants to guide us BUT He(swt) wants us to Choose all this... SO He want to forgive us if we CHOOSE to be forgiven, He wants to guide us if we CHOOSE to be guided and he wants to love us if we CHOOSE to be loved.
Dear sister freedom of choice is what Allah swt gave us as a blessing and we should thank Allah swt every single day for all these blessing(barakat) :).
If you have more doubts tell me and inch'Allah i'll give you more details regarding this matter or other.
I hope this has been helpful and i pray to Allah swt that He increase our understanding of the deen to get nearer to Him Inch'Allah! :):wasalam: dear sister , peace!