Bringing Islam into the 21st Century?!

bilalswife1983

Modernizing Islam??!!

Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters!! It's been a REALLY long time since I posted anything on here. But here I am and I need help!!

There are all kinds of problems arising at our masjid. To make a long and complicated story short, some people in our tiny community are trying to modernize Islam. They seem to believe nearly all of Allah's commands are oppressive (hijab, separation between men and women, etc.) and worry about what non-Muslims will think. Anytime we try to do anything, people from the "executive committee" shoot us down with nasty comments and bad attitudes. A division the community is beginning between those of us who trust Allah's commandments and want to leave them as they should be and those who think Islam needs to be updated. AND.......one of them has recently disclosed that she is sufi and is trying to start a sufi sect within our community.

I can't believe this is happening. It's sickening. I don't know what to do. Anytime we try to do anything, they have a fit. I feel like they just want the masjid as a social gathering place and that we should hide that we are Muslims. Isn't Islam perfect the way it is? Didn't Allah perfect our religion for us? Meaning nothing needs to be changed, no matter what century we're in?

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I feel like I'm at a loss, especially since people in the community are really angry at me for speaking against their ideas. I fear for the people who will follow this and do bid'ah and eventually be lost. What about our youth? This is a mess! Please make dua for us!

Your Sister in Islam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
:salam2:

Well this is happening everywhere specially in Asian countries like India & Pakistan.

Masjids are built based on sects and on the belief of what people follow. And you are not allowed to enter those Masjid if your from another sects I have heard about this. But sufism is strictly not allowed and that's pathetic to hear they do not believe in separating woman and men.

bilalswife1983

:salam2:

Well this is happening everywhere specially in Asian countries like India & Pakistan.

Masjids are built based on sects and on the belief of what people follow. And you are not allowed to enter those Masjid if your from another sects I have heard about this. But sufism is strictly not allowed and that's pathetic to hear they do not believe in separating woman and men.

Subhan'Allah, most of these people are from India and Pakistan.

bilalswife1983

lol, I agree, the community itself needs dawah! We suggested doing dawah to the non-Muslims and you wouldn't believe the temper-tantrum they threw.

Please make dua for us.

arzafar

however, i wouldn't favor breaking away and forming a new mosque just yet. unity is the key. however, if things dont improve then a to break-away becomes necessary.