Can a Moslim go to a christian funeral

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:

We have several cut and paste Muslims who just cut and paste opinions (fatwa) of scholars but don't have understanding of the Islamic values. And sadly when they quote one ayah they forget another ayah.

Now here is my opinion (fatwa):

Sister don't worry about it. YES... You can go to the funeral of non-Muslims to pay your respect, but be careful to not participate in their religious rituals or prayers.

Allah says in the Quran (60:8) "Allah does not forbid that you be kind and just to those who did not fight against you on account of religion, nor drove you out of your homes. Surely Allah loves those who are equitable."

What this verse means is that you have every right to adopt a stem attitude towards those who persecuted you for embracing Islam and compelled you to leave your homes and pursued you even after that. But as for as those who were not partners in persecuting you, you should treat them well and should fulfill the right they have on you because of blood and other relationships.

No one of our cut and paste Muslims have answered this question from sister AAminAA ???
Can someone tell me when uncle of Muhammad s.a.w.s., died and we all know that he died under state of non believer, what the Prophet a.s., did. How he reacted ?
Well sister we all know that our Prophet participated in Abu Talib's funeral and burial.

One person as written this:
And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and when you meet them in the street, force them towards the narrowest part of it.” Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh, 2167 from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah.

Shaykh Sulaymaan ib nNaasir al-‘Alwaan

In answer I would remind that we all know how some wicked Jews used to greet Prophet Mohammad (PBUH). Aisha narrated: "The Jews used to greet the Prophet by saying, ‘As-Samu ‘Alaika (death be upon you), so I understood what they said, and I said to them, “As-Samu alaikum wal-la’na (Death and Allah’s curse be upon you)”. The Prophet said, “Be gentle and calm, O ‘Aisha, as Allah likes gentleness in all affairs” I said, “O Allah’s Prophet! Did you hear what they said?” He said, “Didn’t you hear me answering them back by saying, Wa‘Alaikum (the same be upon you)."

This means that other Jews who used to say the correct greeting of "Assalam-o-alikum" our Prophet used to respond to them by saying "Wa'alikum As'Salam".

It is not permissible for the Muslim to attend the funeral of a kaafir or to enter their churches, even if that is a sign of respect etc, because attending the funeral is a way of showing love and respect, and it is not permissible to show that towards a kaafir, according to the correct view.

The second Khalifa Umar (RA) when he entered in Jeroshalum as a victor, he went into the main Church to visit it. Didn't he? And when the prayer time came and the Christians offered him to pray inside the Church, does anyone know what he said?
Umar (RA) said: "If I pray here in this church then the future generations of Muslims might say that Umar prayed here and then they might convert this Church into a Mosque."

See... How much respect he gave to them. And here we are arguing whether we should go to a funeral or not. Can any one here claim to be a better Muslim than Umar (RA) ???

:wasalam:

Ayyub

Sister don't worry about it. YES... You can go to the funeral of non-Muslims to pay your respect, but be careful to not participate in their religious rituals or prayers.
As far as I know it is narrated by Asma bint Yazid that she (ra)camer to Muhammed (saw) and said that men were favored with mayn things such as making jihad,friday prayer and attending funerals.....
From this I get that women are not allowed to attend funerlas even that of muslim brothers and sisters (so it's clear that the same goes for attending that of a kafir).

The question is if men are allowed to attaend the funeral of a kafir or not.

From another hadith it says that Muhammed (saw) said to the women who were attaending a funeral to go home casue they would be sinful if they attend the funeral.

So please watch the video I posted from the Sheikh Wajdi Ghoneim it has english subs istead of listening what none Sheikhs are writing here.
Mr. Ghoneim support all his sayings with hadiths and Quran.

Ayyub

Here a few more proofs that women are not allowed to attend funerals but are aloowed to visit grave to remember themselves with the Akhira.

Imam Bukhari has recorded a Hadith of Sayyidatuna Umm Atiyya (Radhiallaahu Anha) that she said, 'We were prohibited from following the Janaaza, i.e. until the graveyard.' (Bukhari Hadith No.1278; See Fathul Baari vol.3 pg.187) Imam Tirmidhi (RA) has recorded a Hadith of Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra (Radhiallaahu Anhu) that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) has mentioned, 'May Allah Ta'ala curse women who visits the graves.' Imaam Tirmidhi has graded this Hadith as Sahih - authentic (Sunan Tirmidhi vol.1 pg.203) A similar narration is recorded by Imaam Abu Dawud on the authority of Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Anhu). However, many of the scholars are of the opinion that the above law has been obliterated by the following narration recorded by Imaam Muslim in his Sahih on the authority of Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (Radhiallaahu Anhu) that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) mentioned, 'I had prevented you from visiting the grave, (as of now) you all should visit it for it reminds one of the Aakhirat.' (Sahih Muslim) Based on this, the previous law mentioned above was abrogated. Hence, the permissibility of visiting the graveyard includes males and females. However, the reason for prohibiting females from visiting graves is due to our corrupted environment wherein women who do not adhere to the laws of Hijaab and hence strange men are attracted towards them. Therefore, it is not permissible for young females to visit the graveyard. However, if the laws of the Shariah (Hijaab, intermingling, crying, etc.) are not violated then the prohibition may be set aside. Since generally the women visiting the graves are not free from the above aspects, they should refrain from doing so. If a female visits the grave to remember death and soften without crying . there is nothing wrong if they are old. It is Makrooh if they are young (Shaami vol. 1 p. 665 - Maajidiyya) See Umdatul Qaari vol.8 pg.69 and Allah Ta'ala Knows

Fiqh-us-Sunnah
Fiqh 4.59
Permit Women to Accompany a Funeral Procession
Umm 'Atiyah reported: "We were forbidden to accompany funeral processions, but this prohibition was not mandatory for us." (Reported by Ahmad, Bukhari, Muslim & Ibn Majah) Abdullah ibn 'Amr reported: "Once while we were with the Prophet, peace be upon him, he saw a woman - whom we thought he did not recognize - so he waited until she reached him. It was Fatimah, his daughter. He asked her: 'What caused you to leave your house?' She said: 'I came to visit the family living in this house in order to offer my condolences and to comfort them in their grief.' He said: 'Did you accompany them to the graveyard?' She said: 'God forbid! How could I do that, when I know what you have said in this respect.' The Prophet, peace be upon him, said: 'Had you accompanied the funeral procession to the graveyard, you would never have seen Paradise, not until your grandfather's father had seen it! (Reported by Ahmad, Al-Hakim, Nasa'i, and Baihaqi. The scholars, however, question the validity of this hadith, claiming it is not a sound hadith, because among its narrators is Rabi'ah ibn Saif, who is not trustworthy)
Muhammad ibn Al-Hanafiyyah reported that 'Ali said: "The Prophet, peace be upon him, went out and saw a group of women sitting outside. When he asked them why they were sitting there, they told him that they were waiting for the funeral procession. He asked them: 'Are you going to wash the body?' They said: 'No.' The Prophet, peace be upon him, asked them: 'Are you going to carry the coffin?' They said: 'No.' He asked them: 'Will you place the body in the grave?' They said: 'No.' At this he said to them: 'Then go back to your homes with your sins and without gaining any reward." (Reported by Ibn Majah and Al-Hakim. But one of its narrators is Dinar ibn 'Omar, who is not reliable. Abu Hatim says he is not well known, Azdi describes him as matruk (unacceptable), and Al-Khalili in his Al-Irshad calls him "a liar.") Ibn Mas'ud, Ibn 'Umar, Abu Amamah, 'Aishah, Masruq, Al-Hasan, An-Nakh'i, Awza'i, Ishaq, and the Hanafi, Shafi'i and Hanbali schools hold this view. They all disapprove the participation of women in funeral processions. According to Malik, it is not disliked for an old woman to leave her home to attend a funeral. In his opinion, a young woman afflicted by the death of a dear one may also accompany a funeral procession without any disapproval, provided she is well covered and her presence does not cause any temptation.
Ibn Hazm contends that the argument put forth by the majority of scholars is not sound, and that it is permissible for women to accompany funeral processions. He said: "We do not disapprove of women attending a funeral procession, nor do we prevent them from doing so. Among the traditions reported on this subject there is no authentic hadith. There are either mursal (Mursal: Report of a successor (tab'i) directly from the Prophet without mentioning the Companion who might have heard it directly) or majhul (unknown) or such as cannot be presented as an argument." Then he mentions the hadith by Umm 'Atiyyah and says: "Even if it were a sound hadith it does not prove prohibition, but merely shows that it is disliked. In fact the reverse is true if we take into account the hadith narrated by Shu'bah on the authority of Waki', who in turn narrated it from Hisham ibn 'Urwah, who heard it from Wahab ibn Kaysan, who heard it from Muhammad ibn 'Amr ibn 'Ata who reported it from Abu Hurairah that once when the Prophet, peace be upon him, attended a funeral, 'Umar saw a woman there and yelled at her. The Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "Leave her, O 'Umar! Verily her eyes shed tears, the soul feels the pangs, and the promised hour is near." (The chain of authorities of this hadith is sound) In a sound hadith it is reported from Ibn 'Abbas that he did not regard it as a disliked act.

I hope this makes it clear that women are not allowed to attend funerals.

About Muhammed (saw) attending the funeral of Abi Talib well none kafir nowady is like Abi Talib.
Abi Talib besides being a nonebeliever was one of the persons who supported the pophet the best he could offer.
So don't compare Abi Talib with a kafir that lives nowaday.
So sister don't listen to somebody who only states his opinion here without proof from the Quran and Sunnah.

Ps:Sorry for the doible post but :subhanallah: I forgot it in my previous post.

arzafar

I have experienced what friendship with the unbelivers can be like. I have been gossipped about, told lies about,dirty rumors have been created about me, and friends I previously had turned their backs at me and hated me for no reason. I have rarely had such treatment with Muslims, but the fatwa said that we can't show respect to kafir. I think that is wrong, Muslims should be good example to whoever we meet. Who would want to come to Islam if we can't be respectful to people outside our religion?

How about the old lady that met with the Prophet on a journey and he kept his identity hidden to her. While they were travelling the lady kept harassing the Prophet and he still helped her. Eventually when she asked who he was, he said he was Muhammed (SAW) and she made shahadah.

My point is that yes I don't think we should take unbelievers as allies in war, I don't think we should take them as strong friends but we do have to interact with them, and when we do so we should give respect so they can have the good and correct impression of Islam.

the point is respect varies with person.
if your boss/mother/father/relative/slave/customer is kaafir you have to show them respect. That is their right given to them by Allah.

But you must not adopt their values or participate in their culture/traditions/celebrations etc.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
As far as I know it is narrated by Asma bint Yazid that she (ra)camer to Muhammed (saw) and said that men were favored with mayn things such as making jihad,friday prayer and attending funerals.....
From this I get that women are not allowed to attend funerlas even that of muslim brothers and sisters (so it's clear that the same goes for attending that of a kafir).

The question is if men are allowed to attaend the funeral of a kafir or not.

From another hadith it says that Muhammed (saw) said to the women who were attaending a funeral to go home casue they would be sinful if they attend the funeral.

So please watch the video I posted from the Sheikh Wajdi Ghoneim it has english subs istead of listening what none Sheikhs are writing here.
Mr. Ghoneim support all his sayings with hadiths and Quran.

I am sorry brother if I mis-stated something, or I did not explained it correctly.

Of course you are correct in pointing out that women are either not allowed or discouraged to attend the funneral because of the issues you mentioned. But here is a key difference in this particular situation.

This is a Christian funneral or Jewish funneral. I don't know if you have attended a Christian or Jewish funneral or not.

First they prepare the body in a casket and then put it on display in a nice air-conditioned hall. People come and visit and console the deceased person's relatives and eat food etc. Then before the burial they gather and sit on chairs and people come on stage and remember the deseased, and share their stories.Then they take the body to the graveyard and bury it.

In comparison we Muslims wash the body and take it to the mosque for the funneral prayers and then immidiately take it to the graveyard in a procession and bury the deceased. There is no space for a woman in this whole process, so that is why woman are discouraged to attend the Muslim funneral.

Christian funneral or Jewish funneral is much different than our Muslim funneral. In their funneral there are plenty of opportunities when a Muslim or Muslimah can pay respect and express love for the deceased without compromising any Islamic values and belief. And as I said we must always be careful not to participate in any activity which is un-Islamic in nature. Like when they pray... we can pray quitely to Allah (SWT) to forgive all the believers etc.

But I gather from your post that if a Muslim MAN goes to a Christian or Jewish funneral then I guess you don't have an issue. Correct?

Regarding this:
About Muhammed (saw) attending the funeral of Abi Talib well none kafir nowady is like Abi Talib.
Abi Talib besides being a nonebeliever was one of the persons who supported the pophet the best he could offer.
So don't compare Abi Talib with a kafir that lives nowaday.
I would respectfully say: WOW... I never knew that there are 2 different Shariah/Islamic rules, one for Abu Talib and another for all other kuffars. Thanks !!!

One other point about women going to the graveyard:
Prophet Mohammad :saw: and Abu Bakr (RA) and Omar (RA) are all burried in the room of Aisha (RA), so that room was their graveyard, but no one forbade Aisha (RA) and other Muslimahs to go to that room.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Well sister we all know that our Prophet participated in Abu Talib's funeral and burial.

Can you provide reference from where you know this??

According to Silsilah Ahadeeth As-Saheehah of Shaykh Al-Albaani pt.14

The Messenger of Allaah said to Ali bin Abu Talib: 'Go and bury your father.'

He said; 'No, I won't bury him, because he died as a Mushrik.'

The Messenger said to him: 'Go and bury him, and don't speak to anyone until you come to me.'

The Prophet - sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam did not participate in the funeral procession of his uncle.

Taken from The Ahadeeth of Tawheed from the Silsilah Ahadeeth As-Saheehah of Shaykh Al-Albaani
Chapters of Tawheed and the Shahadtayn
Part 14

Ayyub

But I gather from your post that if a Muslim MAN goes to a Christian or Jewish funneral then I guess you don't have an issue. Correct?
This is a Christian funneral or Jewish funneral. I don't know if you have attended a Christian or Jewish funneral or not.

Like I mentioned in a previous post.There isn't any information of Muhammed (saw) ever attending a funeral of a kafir or of one of the Sahabas (ra).
As long as Muhammed (saw) nor the Khalifas allowed Ummah to attaend a kafir funeral I say that it's not even allowed for men to attand a funeral of a kaffir.
(These are our role models)

About women attending funerals of the kuffars.Well muhammed (saw) didn't say but women can take part in kufar funerals.
He (saw) said it for all of the funerals and there is no room for our interpretation.

I would respectfully say: WOW... I never knew that there are 2 different Shariah/Islamic rules, one for Abu Talib and another for all other kuffars. Thanks !!!

Here the proof that Abi Talib is the "best Kafir" and will receive the least punishment out of the kuffar:
The least severe (in torment) of its levels – from which we seek refuge with Allaah – was mentioned by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the hadeeth reported by al-Nu’maan ibn Basheer who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: «The least severely punished of the people of Hell will be a man who has two shoes and shoelaces of Fire – according to another version: two live coals will be placed on the soles of his feet – because of which his brains will boil as a pot boils. He will not think that anyone is being punished more severely than him, but he will be the one who is punished most lightly» [Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6562; Muslim, 212]. The person is named specifically in a report narrated by Muslim, where it says that this is Abu Taalib, the paternal uncle of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), for whom Allaah will reduce the punishment because of the role he played in protecting Islam at the beginning.

One other point about women going to the graveyard:
Prophet Mohammad and Abu Bakr (RA) and Omar (RA) are all burried in the room of Aisha (RA), so that room was their graveyard, but no one forbade Aisha (RA) and other Muslimahs to go to that room.

I think it's very clear that women are allowd to visit the grave of the companions (ra) and of Muhammed (saw) to remember themselves that the greatest persons died.But did Aisha(ra) take part in the funeral?
There is a difference between visiting the grave and taking part in a funeral!

Surat Yunus was sent to Muahammed(saw) after the time when his two supportive friends died and Muhammed (saw) was a bit "sad".These 2 persons were Khadija (ra) and Abi Talib.
Even though Abi Talib was a kafir Muhammed (saw) said in one hadith that Allah will forgive him a lot of his sins for helping the Messenger (saw) of Allah (saw) against the Qurais.
Allah showed with it hw much the prophet Yunus (as) had to suffer from his own family so Muhammed (saw) would understand better that every prophet had to go through hardship.

All in all women are not allowed to take part in any funeral casue Muhammed ( saw) did not make any excuses when they can take part.From the hadiths it's clearly that women would be sinful if they attend.
It's not important if it's Muslim,Christian,Jew etc...
If you want to pay to your respect towards the dead one go and visit his family that is respect enough and tell them your condolence.

ipanda

Wow. Islam takes me by surprises everyday! I have always felt it is a wonderful faith that teaches love and respect. I just recieved an English Quran last week and i am going thru it. But as i went thru the posts in this topic, i was quite shocked by what i read.

I just don't believe that Allah (the Merciful and Most loving) is like that. In fact, i do believe He has bigger heart than that. Just cos i am not a muslim, i should be treated as an enemy?! WOW. I probably should go thru the Quran before I say this but there is definitely a chance my friend always tells me no muslim can love you nor be friends with you unless you become one. How will that happen if I am kept away?!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Islam is the perfect faith. Do not give up. It makes perfect sense.

Islam covers the entire world. We have cultural variations. There is only one enemy in Islam. Shytan and his followers.

As you become more comfortable with Islam..it is like anything else..you want to spend time with Muslims.