Can Arabs fully understand the Quran?

sazk

Banned
brother Ed209, try to learn the Quran with tajweed. this is one mistake we pakistanis made over the centuries, the common people never learned how to pronounce the words correctly and God knows what we read :astag: . when i found out that i had been finished the Quran 6 times without ever knowing tajweed, i was very angry with myself. no wonder i couldn't feel the beauty in it. i wanted to go to my teachers and tell them off. But now Alhamdulillah, Ar-Rahmaan somehow taught me some tajweed rules and the Quran is so lovely to read!

the phrase 'Jannatin tajree min tahtihal anhaar' (Gardens with rivers flowing beneath them) somehow always brings a smile on my face. i dont know why!!

the Quran contains a lot of beautiful duas taught to us by Allah (SWT). If read properly, they can bring a lot of blessings to you and your family.

BigAk

BigAk, I must say u're a very strange arab ... u're english is very good.. plus u're also very kind spoken. i've had some pakistani friends who have been ridiculed by arabs before. generally the arabs say that we are the aulaad of the Sahabis, you are not true muslims, you cant understand the Quran. some of my colleagues have also been slapped by arabs.

but the magical thing is that even though we are held in contempt, we still love the Arabs. Here in Pakistan an arab man has a very high respect. probably because they are the aulaad of sahabi and they can understand the Quran. Also if they hadn't come to my part of the world, we would still be drinking cow urine and worshipping monkeys and cows and donkeys. No offence to anyone but Islam freed us from these things and reminded us that we have to meet our Creator soon.

Brother sazk... I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with some of the arabs.. I will stand by you as my brother in Islam and will not condone the wrong behaviour of anyone especially an arab. There are corrupted people everywhere my brother... All we can do is ask Allah to show them the truth and wash their hearts off any prejucide which goes against Islam and the teachings of our prophet Muhammad (pbu).

:salam2:

q8penpals

Assalama aliekum

I would like to interject something that I have noticed here in Kuwait (among Kuwaiti youths).

The children DO take Islamic studies from at least grade 1, if not before (it is actually REQUIRED by law for all Muslim students to take Islamic studies starting in grade 1 - before that is optional based on the parents' choice of schools).

However, there is MUCH emphasis on memorizing the Qur'an - very LITTLE emphasis on understanding the meaning. Yes, they learn the words, but the understanding is sorely lacking. And this is not even to the point that there is no rhyme or reason for the order that is presented to the students in the government Islamic studies program. About a year ago, there was a big to-do over the fact that in one of the new grade 1 books, the verses they had for the students to learn were battle and marriage based. The argument was that there were other verses that would be more beneficial to the youngest students - they didn't understand the marriage issues or the history behind the battles anyway, so why have them memorize those first?

My high school students - when they were studied for their exams most recently (end of January), I asked them about the Qur'an verses they had to learn for the exam (they would be required to write them out completely on the exam paper). I asked them to recite the verses to me - they did; then I asked them what one of the verses meant - in my class of 14 high school boys, the best they could come up with was "it is something to do with charity". I asked them, what do you mean - don't you learn the meaning with the verse? They said, No, they are only required to memorize it - they spend the entire class period just repeating repeating repeating. Mind you, these are ALL native Arabic speakers - they understand the individual words, but the MEANING is different (think if I said, "Wow, that is cool" in English - native English speakers immediately know that I am not talking about temperature - an English language learner may understand the words individually, but may not get the concept).

Honestly, memorization without understanding is not productive - it may be a first step, but in the Kuwaiti curriculum, there is not much required beyond memorization (they also memorize hadiths without interpretations or understanding).

So yes, it is possible to read and memorize the Qur'an without understanding it, even by native Arabic speakers.

Lana

Qur'an&Sunnah

Traveler
Actually Kaifa haluka is pure classic arabic even... I can imagine our rasul Allah Muhammad (pbu) running into someone on the street and saying "Kaifa haluka ya Bilal"...

As far as all the arabs, we are taught the classical arabic at school.. All my school life, we had an arabic class in every grade where we were taught the real classical arabic; the kind you read in the Quran. The classes got too tough sometimes; we were to write poetry and memorize so many poems written by poets of Al-Jahilya period (pre islam) and after. We used to have to evaluate the poems according to their classification which was called "bahr". We also had to study what is called "I3rab".. Which basically write paragraphs about each word in a given letter to convey its grammatical status.. By the time I finished high school, I was an arabian poet myself; along with some top students in my class.. hahaha.

On the other hand, the arabic slang that people spoke on the street was very very different from the classical arabic. The slang differed from one arabic country to another that people would have a hard time understanding a far away dialect.. For instance being a Syrian, I would have a hard time understanding a guy from Saudi Arabia.. However, in this case the solution would be to resort to speaking the classical arabic which is called "Al-Luga Al Fusha" which is understood by any arab anywhere anytime.

It is very fortunate that the arabic language is still very alive and surviving despite all the historical occupations that the arabic countries have encountered.

I am currently living in the US and I am working on teaching my 6 year old boy the arabic language... I have been asking Allah (3aza wa jal) to grant us the chance to live in an arabic country soon so I can be helped in my efforts to pass on this great gift to my son.... Insha Allah; He will grant us this opportunity.

Ya Allah, I know I'm late but I3rab is the hardest! And imagine I'm not arab and I do not know how to speak arabic and I had to do I3rab. I know how to read and write though, so my Arabic teacher a while ago would give a test to see which levels we would be split up into, so when she use to say like a sentence we would have to write, and I knew how to write so I would do good MashaAllah. So she trapped me in third level, and after that I was stuck in third level until I finished school. UGH...then came I3rab. I didn't know what I was writing, I winged it half of the time, but ALhamdullilah I'm taking arabic classes now, and now I know. *End Rant* :)

sazk

Banned
aoa sister, dont worry. the first step is to learn the words. the meaning can ofcourse come later on as they age.

when you learned the word 'cool' you ofcourse learned the word and its original meaning first. you didn't start english just by understanding the meaning of 'wow, that is cool'. that came on later in age.

first you memorization the words always, then you understand the meaning. this is natural.

learning about the marriage verses first actually prevents a person from becoming programmed as a homosexual. at the early age, it enters the subconcious mind that women are created by Allah for a specific purpose for men and that men should marry, should marry, should marry, not stay celibate because this is not holy this is perverse, and that they should remain faithful. so a mentality is created that prevents homosexuality in this way.

i've met one muslim in my life who was homosexual and i asked him if his parents had made him read the Quran when he was a child and he said no. i told him thats why he was led wrong. ppl claim that they are born this way but in actuality because the Quran is not read to them, this is what happens.

after all, how can a little child have any understanding of sexual preferences when he has no inclination towards one or the other? its only when they become adolescent that this effect takes place but what a child sees and hears at a young age brings about slight but permanent changes in his or her personality. these changes are embedded early on but surface later on in life. this any psychologist will tell you!

if you look at the problem of incest in the west, you will find that the bible contains 10 cases of incest. that is the root cause there. kids read that stuff. it gets in there mind. when they grow up, it surfaces and causes perversion. thats why pedophilia also occurs because a certain section of the bible says that its ok to rape young girls, underage.

as far as the war verses are concerned, i dont know the reason for that may Allah give me hidayat on that also. i speculate its to do with fighting in the Way of Allah.

but as far the freudian analysis is concerned its bang on.

sazk

Banned
what is i3raab exactly? i also learned how to read something called I3raab when i was a kid but i dont know if its the same thing you are talking about

MaiNabil

Salam To All

hmm about what u Said Bro, yes i Do Understand what Quran say But not All Of Quran for sure but even the thing that i can understand i search for the meaning i do say Alhamdulilah that i can read and understand Arabic as Well

but not All Arab can understand Quran some cant even Read it Right that's becos the Grammer or cant read Arabic not just Quran or they dont read or Hear Quran so much ,

and some can really Understand with anything Mashallah

i hope that i answer what u Ake For it

Salam Aleykum

MaiNabil

oh , about i3rab its not soo hard if we take it step by step it will be easy inshaAllah ,sometime i do Wrong and i am egyptian but that becos i dont hear or learn alot

but inshAllah after time everyone can , and So i am:shymuslima1:

sazk

Banned
yes i heard about some arabs who cant even read the quran let alone understand it. i know the meanings of some words are lost because they are not in use in everyday language but i remember a student telling me that the grammar of arabic has survived because it was preserved in the Quran.

but i'm baffled here.. how come half the arabs are saying yes they can understand every word and half are saying that they have to look at the meaning? what is going on???

BigAk

but i'm baffled here.. how come half the arabs are saying yes they can understand every word and half are saying that they have to look at the meaning? what is going on???

Some words are not used very frequently; therefore one would need to look them up. If you don't look them up, you can't understand the meaning of the sentence.