can men wear necklaces?

mo_j90

:salam2:

i was at friday prayer today and in the gift shop i saw they had rings with "Allah" on it and they had necklaces with "Allah", they had silver neckalces and gold, i know gold is haram for men but i was wondering in general is it disliked for men to wear necklaces? also isit disliked in general to wear any thing which has "Allah" on it as you may enter the toilet and be committing sin?

:wasalam:

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

i was at friday prayer today and in the gift shop i saw they had rings with "Allah" on it and they had necklaces with "Allah", they had silver neckalces and gold, i know gold is haram for men but i was wondering in general is it disliked for men to wear necklaces? also isit disliked in general to wear any thing which has "Allah" on it as you may enter the toilet and be committing sin?

:wasalam:

As far as the necklaces and Bracelets

Prophet (SAWS) said cursed is the man that makes himself look like women and cursed is the woman that makes herself look like men. Women are known to decorate their bodies with necklaces, bracelets and earrings so for a man to do that is imitating them.

As far a the ring, necklaces, bracelets or anything with the name of Allah or Quran on it is not permissable because you may subject it to disrespect. For example like you mentioned using the restroom, etc..... Most will have the intention not to be disrespectful but at some point you will.

mo_j90

salam, jazakkallah i was considering purchasing the ring but i knew i would be comitting sin without realising as you said showing disrespect so i didnt.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
The Ruling on a Man Wearing a Necklace

Question: What is the ruling on wearing necklaces as some men do?

Answer:Wearing a necklace for adornment is unlawful because it is a practice that is specific to women. So men are imitating women when they wear a chain and the Prophet (sallAllaahu `alayhi wa sallam) cursed men who imitate women. It becomes an even greater sin and more unlawful if that chain is made from gold, because then it is unlawful in two ways. It becomes an even greater sin if the pendant is inscribed with a picture of a human, an animal, or a bird. Worse, much worse if it is inscribed with a cross or is in the shape of a cross. The last two cases — a picture of a human or an animal and in the shape of a cross — are unlawful for man and woman alike. And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Fatawa Islamiyah, Vol. 7, Page 399, DARUSSALAM

DanyalSAC

The Ruling on a Man Wearing a Necklace

Question: What is the ruling on wearing necklaces as some men do?

Answer:Wearing a necklace for adornment is unlawful because it is a practice that is specific to women. So men are imitating women when they wear a chain and the Prophet (sallAllaahu `alayhi wa sallam) cursed men who imitate women. It becomes an even greater sin and more unlawful if that chain is made from gold, because then it is unlawful in two ways. It becomes an even greater sin if the pendant is inscribed with a picture of a human, an animal, or a bird. Worse, much worse if it is inscribed with a cross or is in the shape of a cross. The last two cases — a picture of a human or an animal and in the shape of a cross — are unlawful for man and woman alike. And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Fatawa Islamiyah, Vol. 7, Page 399, DARUSSALAM

Hmm I consider this an arbitrary decision.

I agree with it being haram if made of gold, or if it is inscribed with an image or a name. But to say that it is a practice "specific to women" is lumping the entire world under one culture, and that is NOT Islamic. That's like saying the Scottish cannot wear their kilt because women in some parts of the world wear skirts.

That's the one thing that's bothered me about my religion...it lumps all people into one category. Does not the Qur'an say in Surrah 49:13 "O people, we created you from the same male and female, and rendered you distinct peoples and tribes, that you may recognize one another"? If this is the case how can some ruling like this be accepted by all people?

Allahu Alim.

(P.S. to sxljk: posting over and over and over again like that is VERY annoying).

DanyalSAC

It's well known necklaces are worn by women not men. If you wish to wear jewellery, then stick to silver rings.

Well known by who's standards???

Look at any Celtic grave that is being examined by archeologists. Heck, check out King Tut. He was buried with MANY necklaces.

Sorry, I refuse to let one culture dictate what's "right" for the rest of the world.

_Musulmanin_

DanyalSAC:

I completely agree. Islam isn't a racially or culturally specific religion. Allah (SWT) gave Islam to all peoples. Furthermore, If the jewelry honours or glorifies Allah (SWT) and you don't wear it to flaunt or show off (keep covered up) as the Kuffars do then I see no evil intentions in it. Furthermore, during the crusades Muslims soldiers were found wearing the name of Allah (SWT) and The Shahada in the form of shields, armour, swords, and yes pendants. Here is a similar argument. I use prayer beads to help keep track during prayer as many other Muslims I know do. Catholic Christians use prayer beads too so am I and many other Muslims I know imitating the kuffar? I think that Surah (49:13) refers to cross-dressers and homosexuals more than it refers to this subject. Also, I have heard the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wore a silver ring on his pinky finger, if thats true how wearing a pendant be so bad?

hana*

i agree with danyalsac- the male equivalent of a necklace is a chain- theres no hadeeth to indicate that weraing such is haram for a male as long as it is not made out of gold. furthermore, the Prophet peace be upon him wore a ring.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
DanyalSAC:

I completely agree. Islam isn't a racially or culturally specific religion. Allah (SWT) gave Islam to all peoples. Furthermore, If the jewelry honours or glorifies Allah (SWT) and you don't wear it to flaunt or show off (keep covered up) as the Kuffars do then I see no evil intentions in it. Furthermore, during the crusades Muslims soldiers were found wearing the name of Allah (SWT) and The Shahada in the form of shields, armour, swords, and yes pendants. Here is a similar argument. I use prayer beads to help keep track during prayer as many other Muslims I know do. Catholic Christians use prayer beads too so am I and many other Muslims I know imitating the kuffar? I think that Surah (49:13) refers to cross-dressers and homosexuals more than it refers to this subject. Also, I have heard the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wore a silver ring on his pinky finger, if thats true how wearing a pendant be so bad?

i agree with danyalsac- the male equivalent of a necklace is a chain- theres no hadeeth to indicate that weraing such is haram for a male as long as it is not made out of gold. furthermore, the Prophet peace be upon him wore a ring.

As-salaamu `alaykum

This to me is like saying that a man can have his belly-button pierced, because there is no specific narration, which specifically prohibits this act. But we know that in Islaam, a man isn't to resemble a woman and vice-versa. Apply it to chains and necklaces then. In fact, how many men in the Muslim would have you ever seen wear chains? Other than the ones who are craving to be Western, there are only few in number. This, combined with the hadeeth, the opinions of the scholars, the femininity of chains and in confirming with customs, is enough for me to agree with the fataawaa.

DanyalSAC

As-salaamu `alaykum

This to me is like saying that a man can have his belly-button pierced, because there is no specific narration, which specifically prohibits this act. But we know that in Islaam, a man isn't to resemble a woman and vice-versa. Apply it to chains and necklaces then. In fact, how many men in the Muslim would have you ever seen wear chains? Other than the ones who are craving to be Western, there are only few in number. This, combined with the hadeeth, the opinions of the scholars, the femininity of chains and in confirming with customs, is enough for me to agree with the fataawaa.

So basically you're saying just because its a "Western" habit and not one our Prophet s.a.w. would do, it's haraam? I thought Islam wasn't to destroy cultures? I am part Native American, my male ancestors on my mother's side wore plenty of ornamentation around their necks and nobody would accuse them of dressing feminine.

The question is if men should wear necklaces and almost all of you have that narrow minded "Well, if its not an Arabic custom..." that is one of the things driving me from this website. The fatwa said in Islam a man is not to resemble a woman. Fine. But who in the name of ALLAH gave you folks the right to dictate WHAT makes a man resemble a woman? The men of the Wodaabe tribe of Africa ( link ) wear both necklaces AND makeup yet nobody say they're trying to look like women.

How many in the "Muslim" world wear chains? Easy. Those not raised in a Muslim country, because their cultures weren't created by people from the Arabian Peninsula.

Its funny, when I told a Shia friend who no longer practices his religion that I had embraced Islam he said "Don't let it make you become intolerant". I see what he was talking about.

I find this whole discussion - and the rigid mindset displayed herein - offensive.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Akhi Danyal, I don't think it has much to do with Arab customs. Also, it's a matter of jurisprudence and I don't see why anyone should feel offended by a scholar's jurisprudential opinion, because these are issues of differing. It is up to you to agree or disagree and you have shown your arguments to disagree. That is fine, and no one is obligating the scholar's opinion nor the personal reasons I gave in response to yours and other's. I just believe that they are more in line with Islamic jurisprudence, nothing more. Everyone can be obeyed or disobeyed, except the Prophet (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam).

al-muslimah

Salam!

I agree on what brother Daniel is saying.

Come on people it's simple. It depends on the culture of the follower and how they define a male and a female. Please please don't mix "your" culture with our peaceful religion, Islam, in general.

If your culture says that a silver bracelet worn by a male would make him a female, then just stay away. It would surely be haram for them to wear since only women wear it. It's your culture! As Brother Daniel mentioned about the African tribe, in their definition the man wears that makeup mask and those accessories. So it's "known" and "familiar", or in Arabic it's called "Urf", that men wear like that. I liked the Scottish skirt example. A Muslim Scottish man won't be cursed because they wear skirts because simply that's what men wear in their culture.

Each culture has their dress code. Every man knows what to wear in their culture and every woman knows also. Prophet Mohammad (saw) didn't define "how" a man should look exactly and what he should wear (apart from the gold and silk things). So it depends on culture.

At the same time, we should remember that there are things in our culture that contradicted with our religion in which we should stay away from. If Islam specifically says not to wear gold for men, then don't wear gold. If Islam says not to drink alcohol, which is a big part of culture in some areas, then don't do it. If Islam says don't do something specifically done in a culture, then don't do it. God surely knows what's good for us and what's bad.

People don't make things look complicated. Islam is simple. If Mohammad (pbuh) were here, he would be upset.

Brother Daniel please don't be offended. Just say what you have to say and we'll discuss. There is plenty to learn here from this valuable website. So just look for the other threads you have missed!

Walsalam.

iloveislam78

salam

Praise be to Allaah.

Wearing gold is haraam for men.

‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbaas reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a gold ring on a man’s hand. He took it off and threw it aside, saying, "Would any of you take a burning coal and hold it in his hand?" When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had gone away, someone said to the man, "Take your ring and benefit from it (i.e., sell it)." He said, "No, by Allaah, I will not take it after the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has thrown it away." (reported by Muslim, no. 2090).

‘Abdullah ibn ‘Amr ibn al’Aas reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever of my ummah wears gold and dies wearing it, Allaah will deny him the gold of Paradise. Whoever of my ummah wears silk and dies wearing it, Allaah will deny him the silk of Paradise." (Reported by Imaam Ahmad).

This prohibition applies to men only, not to women, as ‘Ali, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) took a piece of silk in his right hand and a piece of gold in his left, and said: "These are forbidden for the males of my ummah." (reported by al-Nisaa’i and Abu Dawud).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: "Wearing silk and gold is permitted for the women of my ummah and prohibited for the males." (Reported by Imaam Ahmad)

Gold is permitted for women because of their delicate and gentle nature, and their need for adornment. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "(Do they then like for Allaah) a creature who is brought up in adornments (wearing gold and silk ornaments, i.e., women), and in dispute cannot make herself clear?" [al-Zukhruf 43:18]

As for men, it is a sign of instability and an unmasculine nature to adorn oneself with gold. Islaam wants the differences between the sexes to be marked clearly, and their distinct characteristics to stand out, because when they resemble one another, much corruption results therefrom. The prohibition of gold for men includes pure gold, gold alloys, cut pieces, joined pieces, gold inlay, etc. As for gold-plating and gilding, some scholars are of the opinion that such articles are forbidden for men if it is possible to extract gold from them (by peeling or shaving off, for example); if no gold can be extracted from it, then such items are permitted. Some scholars say that it is not permitted to wear an item which is wholly or mostly gold-plated, but if only a little part of it is gold-plated (like the hands of a watch, or the numerals, or the tiny points denoting numbers), then it is permitted to wear it. They say that the issue is its appearance, not its value: if the gold-plating is very obvious and covers everything, it is not permitted, because many people will not make the distinction between gold-plate and real gold, and some may follow this person’s example and begin to wear pure gold. And Allaah knows best.

dont know about silver but jewellery is jewellery is it not,,, maybe some further research is needed, brother u dont want to sin for the sake of a lil ring..

peace

iloveislam78

boom bbom bom

It is permissible for a man to wear rings and watches that contain precious metals or stones – other than gold – such as diamonds, because the basic principle is that they are permissible, and there is no evidence to suggest that that is not allowed, unless they are part of women’s jewellery such as bracelets and necklaces, in which case that is not allowed.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (24/77): Wearing rings is permissible for men if they are made of silver or precious stones, except for gold. End quote.

Thirdly:

It is not permissible for a man to wear women’s jewellery, such as bracelets, necklaces and earrings, whether they are made of gold, silver or anything else, because that is imitating women, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed men who imitate women. This has been discussed in the answer to question no.1980

Fourthly:

You should advise your friend and explain to him that it is haraam for men to wear earrings, and that doing so includes a number of things that are haraam: (i) wearing something that contains gold; (ii) imitating women; (iii) imitating the kuffaar, because it is the custom in some kaafir societies for men to wear earrings. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4031); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

We ask Allaah to guide us and you.

And Allaah knows best.

here the answer from scholar

best of luck