can someone Tell me if the peaceful verses in the Qur'an were abrogated?

Ismael Islam

:salam2:
O.k so every non-MUslim i discuss Islam with tries to tell em that the peaceful verses in the Qur'an do not "count"
because they were abrogated by so called "violent" verses.
Their main backing for this claim is that the verses revealed in Medina abrogate those revealed in Makkah.
Can any one help me?

JenGiove

:salam2:

As a non-Muslim I disagree with the statement that the peaceful verses were abrogated by the violent ones. The Qur'an and the hadiths must be taken in context and with a skilled eye and mind. The non-Muslims who use that as a reason to argue against Islam are uneducated about the whole. It is as if a Muslim uses certain scriptures from the Bible to use as arguments that the Bible is violent.

Education, open mind and open heart are the key. Islam may be complex, but it is far from violent.

Perseveranze

http://www.mostmerciful.com/abrogation-and-substitution.htm

Just one of many examples...

Allah says: “So if they dispute with you, say ‘I have submitted my whole self to Allah, and so have those who follow me.’ And say to the People of the Scripture and to the unlearned: ‘Do you also submit yourselves?’ If they do, then they are on right guidance. But if they turn away, your duty is only to convey the Message. And in Allah’s sight are all of His servants.” [Sûrah Âl `Imrân: 20]

Allah says: “The Messenger’s duty is but to proclaim the Message.” [Sûrah al-Mâ’idah: 99]

It is important to note that these last two verses were revealed in Madinah. This is significant, since it shows that the ruling they gave was not just contingent on the Muslims being in Mecca in a state of weakness, but is valid for all time.

http://en.islamtoday.net/artshow-262-3441.htm

Also as JenGiove said, you need to study the Hadiths and the context in which revelations were revealed. I remember reading somewhere that when the Quresh Armies were comming for the Muslims, Abu Bakr(ra) said to the Prophet(pbuh) that the Muslims need to fight back. The Prophet(pbuh) said no, since Allah(swt) had not instructed any form of act, especially not violence. Only after that did the revelation come down from Allah(swt) that the Muslims have permission to fight back and defend themselves. Now if the Muslims were not allowed to fight, Islam would be destroyed.

There's so many other important things also to consider, it was during war that the Prophet(pbuh) proposed a peace treaty with the Quresh (which the Quresh later broke...). ect.