Can We Greet Marry X-Mas

sajjuaiah

As-salaam Alaikum,

I just want to know if we could greet a christian friend (Marry X-Mas or Happy X-Mas)???

If we cannot greet Why?

Thanks

khalid123456

Islam is Perfect
answer to your question

Ruling on celebrating non-Muslim holidays and congratulating them

Question:
Can a muslim celebrate a non muslim holiday like Thanksgiving?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."
[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

source
Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)

reference
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=947&ln=eng&txt=non muslim celebrations

hager

well

I DON'T UNDERSTAND...
i think u mean..greeting
well,say
happy new year...
allah bless u...

i think..that

khalid123456

Islam is Perfect
answer to your question

Taking part in non-Muslim celebrations in order to encourage them to take part in our celebrations

Question:
Can we take part in non-Muslim celebration only so that they might be attracted to our celebrations too?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If these celebrations are the festivals of the kuffaar and mushrikeen, it is not permissible to take part in those innovated festivals, because doing so implies helping them to commit sin and transgression. Taking part in their festivals also involves imitating the kuffaar, which is forbidden in Islam. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Abu Dawood and Ahmad). ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to say: “Avoid the enemies of Allaah during their festivals.” (Reported by al-Bayhaqi).

If what is referred to is accepting an invitation to a meal, for example, and there is nothing involved that is forbidden in Islam, such as mixing of men and women, or foods forbidden by Allaah such as wine and pork, or dancing and music and so on, and this participation does not imply that one loves these kuffaar, then there is nothing wrong with accepting their invitation. He should try to convey the message of Islam to them. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) accepted the invitation of some of the Jews. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Reference
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=3325&ln=eng&txt=non muslim celebrations

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:

Brother khalid123456 the question was not about celebrating Christmas it's about saying Merry Christmas to a Christian. If you say Merry Christmas it does not mean you are celebrating it. My mom says happy Eid to me and she's not Muslim, I'm sure no one will find anything wrong with that......
Some people try to segrate themselves from non Muslims, but is that anyway to spread dawa??:wasalam:

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

He's absolutely right mash'Allah Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen !!

I've been told merry xmas but I've answered with a 'smile' (I gave my sadaqah) ;)

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best

He's absolutely right mash'Allah Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen !!

I've been told merry xmas but I've answered with a 'smile' (I gave my sadaqah) ;)

this isn't about anyone seeking a religion other than Islam, the examples given are not relevent to the topic at hand....lol.....ok nevermind I'm going nowhere with this:wasalam:

maninfosys2003

A muslim is one who uses brain depending upon the situation prevailing around him, becoz what conditions used to prevail in medieval period is no longer present today...Today people among non-muslims are in general more tolerant and generous as compared to muslims..They are more educated and peace loving . Moreover a muslim shud focus on how to invite non-muslims to right path, which is priority for him, by being well mannered and sharing knowledge of islam and common things to them...
A muslim can do dawaa with non-muslims only if he has got enough respect from them..Like inviting them for dinner party or bringing Dates/mutton etc for them during Eids and sharing with them about Abraham(pbuh) and jesus(pbuh) in islam by virtue of ur gud influence..
Rememebr the gr8test obstacke to Jannah for a pious muslims will be ur Boss and co-workers who will stand against u during Day of Judgement and claim that U never shared anything with them abt religion and kept aloof from them...

I myself sent this articles to my American client and christian co-workers...

Peace be unto you!
My heartiest greetings in advance for Merry Christmas!
Whenever I have divulged the fact that the Qur'an testifies the chastity of the Virgin Mary and the Allah(God) had chosen her above the women of all nations (Q. 3:42); as well as it reveals that the birth of Jesus was by God's act of Breathing His Spirit into the body of honourable Virgin Mary (Q. 66:12), most of my Christians brethren have been taken by surprise. Continuing the dialogue little further I disclose, the Qur'an exemplifies:

"The similitude of Jesus before God is as that of Adam." (Q. 3:59).

If Allah(God) could create Adam from the dust - without both the parents - it is not difficult for Him to create Jesus, with one parent.
The righteous Messiah - Jesus, holds an exalted place within my faith. Here are some of the honourable epithets mentioned in the Qur'an:
"Word of God" (kalimatu-Llah).
"Spirit from God" ( ruhun mina' Llah).
"The Righteous" (as-saalihiin).
"Messiah" (masih).
"Prophet" (nabi).
"Messenger of God" ( rasul).
"The son of Mary" (ibne Marium).

God had granted His Favour upon Jesus, and, he was made
"an example to the Children of Israel". Qur'an 43 : 59.
Before his birth, the angels had foretold Mary that her son, whose name will be Messiah Jesus, shall be held in high honour in this world, and, in the Hereafter, he will be among the nearest to God. Q. 3 : 45.
(Mary) said: 'O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me.'
He (God) said: 'So (it will be) for God creates what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only: 'Be!'- and it is" (Quran 3:47).

When the Israelis approached Mary and her infant Jesus to question her and inquire about the fatherless child, something unexpected happened:
"Then she (Mary) pointed to him.
They said: 'How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?'
He ( Jesus) spoke from the cradle: "I am indeed a messenger of God: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet; and He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live; (He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable" Holy Quran 19:27-32
Also see this video:- Youtube video-British channel ITV1 brings Blessed Virgin Mary in Islam

Quran affirms Magical powers granted to Jesus (pbuh): " I (Jesus)have come to you with a sign from your Lord.
- I make for you the shape of a bird out of clay, I breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God's permission.
- I heal the blind from birth and the leper.
- And I bring the dead to life by God's permission.
- And I tell you what you eat and what you store in your houses...." (Quran, 3:49 )

Remember,
To win the hearts and conidence of others is not that easy..U need to come out of the way thru hard work, sincerity and helping others....Saying Merry Christmasdoesnt mean that u r accepting Jesus(pbuh) as God, rather you have got an excellent oppurtunity to use this time to give Dawaa to them

maninfosys2003

[016:125] Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious:
for thy Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance.

1. The first obstacle is the misunderstanding among many Muslims today that, the obligation of this da'wah to Allah (S.W.T) is restricted and is limited to a group of Muslims, who are the scholars of Islam. And that Muslims in general should not carry on this duty. This misunderstanding is build on the misinterpretation of what Allah (S.W.T) says in surat Al-Emran, (Verse 104), what can be translated as,"Let there arise out of you a group of people inviting to all that is good (Islam), enjoying AL-Ma'ruf (all that Islam orders one to do) and forbidding Al-Munkar (all that Islam has forbidden). And it is they who are the successful."

To answer this misunderstanding to this verse, we go back to the explanations of the scholars to this ayah.

It is relay a grate reward for the one who calls the people to Allah (S.W.T.), listen to the saying of the messenger of Allah (S.A.W.) which was reported by Imams Bukhari and Muslim,

"If Allah guides one person because of you, it is better for you than the whole earth and what is within it." In another hadith reported by Imam At-Tirmithi that the prophet (S.A.W) said,

"May Allah beautify a person who heard something from us and he convey it as he has heard, maybe a person who received it through him understands it better then him." Also Imam Muslims reported that the messenger of Allah (S.A.W.) said,

"Whoever calls to guidance has a reward equal to the reward of his followers without decreasing anything from their reward."

Imam Ibn-Kathir said, "What is meant by this verse is that a group is dedicated to this task even though the obligation of the da'awh is upon every individual of this umma according to

Another obstacle and the hindrance which face the path of da'wah to Allah is fanaticism to the personal opinions and rejecting the other opinions, in the da'wah work. And this is what led to misuse the powers of the du'a'at (callers to Allah). Fanaticism to the personal opinion and rejecting the other opinions in the matters where there is no clear cut evidence. This unacceptable behavior is spread widely among many Muslims today. As Muslims we should not practice this behavior. When we make da'wah using one of these ways where there are no firm hadith or verse which shows us clear path we should not believe that other opinions are completely false or misguided. This is why the (callers to Allah) disputed previously and recently in the styles and ways of da'wah work and truly we don't know which of these are the most successful and the most beneficial. Maybe all of them are good and benefit the ummah. Each one might be right in his opinion. And the one who reaches the right gets a double reward.

The third obstacle, some Muslims might say is that the corruption and evil action has spread widely in the earth. And the corruption and disbelief are entrenched so in this situation the da'wah effort will not benefit anything. So individual Muslim should care for his own self and protect his deen only and forget about the other people. To answer to this, we say that this misconception has occurred to previous peoples. Allah has told us their news and how the da'wah callers responded to them; Allah says in surat Al-A'raf, (verse 164 & 165), what can be translated as,

"And when some of them said, 'Why do you preach to a people whom Allah is about to destroy or punish with a severe punishment?'

(The preachers said):
"To discharge, our duty to your Lord, and perchance they may fear and obey Him. So when they forgot the reminding that had been given to them, We rescued those who forbade evil, but We seized those who did wrong with a severe torment because they used to rebel."

maninfosys2003

Christmas is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Jesus as God in flesh. You really don't have to accept the entire Christian idea of Jesus. Just acknowledging His Virgin birthday is sufficient enough.
Moreover intentions mattter not the show...
e.g. when u help others with money, its your intenetions internal to heart that are recorded in Allah's book and not what u show to others..becoz u may have some bad thing in heart which u dont disclose...

Same case is with this..Saying Happy Christmas from a non-christmas to a christian, doesnt mean that he's congratulating on his beliefs, rather he's is praying for a happy festive season devoid of any grief or sadness...its like u bid farewell for a safe n happy journey to a traveller...
Moreover ur intentions in heart is read by Allah alone, so why u fear saying Happy Christmas to them..after all humanity and love of ur co-mates also matters?

selam aleykum brothers and sisters for your explanation about xmas celebration

thank you very mcuh for you explanation about xmas because i was going to ask same question and i see there is answers thanks.

Manaal_e_Afghan

i am not too much sure
but greeting christains about Xmas its haraam
coz we are testifying that Naozubilah Jesus Alaihi salaam
is God's son.
yaa some where i heard this
so its better to avoid it.

AAminAA

Amatullah
As-salaam Alaikum,

I just want to know if we could greet a christian friend (Marry X-Mas or Happy X-Mas)???

If we cannot greet Why?

Thanks

X-mas means celebrating birth of Isa a.s., and we all know that Christians says he is son of God nauzubillah !

If you greet Christians with x-mas, you are commiting the sin "Shirk" because Allah is one, there is no other god than Him.

In surah Al Ikhlas says:

Bismillah

1-Qul huwa Allahu ahadun
Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

2-Allahu alssamadu
Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

3-Lam yalid walam yooladu
He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

4-Walam yakun lahu kufuwan ahadun
And there is none like unto Him.

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the entire universe !