Cathedral plays what?!

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum [Peace be upon you],

The following news caught my attention. It's from the BBC news website:

Cathedral plays Lennon's Imagine

The bells of Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral are to ring out to John Lennon's anti-religious anthem Imagine.

The bells will play the 1971 song, which begins "Imagine there's no Heaven", as part of an arts festival on 16 May at 1300 BST and 1430 BST.

A cathedral spokesman said: "Allowing Imagine to be pealed on our bells does not mean we agree with the song lyric."

The song has drawn criticism from some religious figures as Lennon himself as called the anthem "anti-religious".

Liverpool Cathedral said it had carefully considered the "sensitivities" surrounding the song's lyrical content.

"But we recognise its power to make us think. As a cathedral we do not shrink from debate. We recognise the existence of other world views," added the cathedral spokesman.

The original idea to ring out Imagine came from artist Cleo Evans, who was commissioned by Futuresonic, a cultural festival, to develop the concept with the Anglican Cathedral.

She said: "Imagine is an incredibly gentle, philosophical and moving song which speaks strongly of the need for peace.

"It is an iconic song which will be performed in a thought-provoking and surprising setting."

Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono said the idea was "so beautiful, it made me choke up".

Ringer Sam Austin, 23, a student at Manchester's Royal Northern College of Music will lead the recital.

He and seven volunteer bell ringers started rehearsals by playing the melody on hand-bells before progressing to the "world famous" Anglican bells, which are the highest and heaviest ringing peal bells in the world.

The 13 bells are arranged around 'Great George', a central ringing bell which weighs over 14 tonnes and can be heard for miles around.

A spokesman for Liverpool Catholic Diocese said it had no comment on the project.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/8040238.stm

Before I comment, I'd like to point out that's it's an Anglican Church [i.e, It is part of the Church of England, which is a Protestant denomination. The Catholic Diocese -as shown above- had no comment].

The problem I have with such news is that it shows how weak religion generally has become in the secular landscape of Western countries. I'm not here to defend Christianity, so please do not misunderstand me. I posted this news to highlight how religion in general is attacked. Not only do they air songs that attack religion, but they actually want these songs to be played in a Cathedral [i.e., a large church....supposedly a promoter of religion, even if it's the false religion of Christianity].

There exists this pressure on religious institutions to conform to Western liberal ideologies to the extent that now a song attacking religion will be played from a Cathedral.

And you know what they'll say next? "Why don't you Muslims be as open minded as these Anglican Christians and allow songs attacking religion to be sung from mosques?"

It's not open minded behaviour at all. It's being a sell out of your own faith to allow such blasphemies in your own places of worship.

I ask Allah the Almighty to strengthen our faith so that we die as Muslims, and to forgive us our sins.

Aameen.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
Assalamualaikum

Nice information :) - and yeah I agree with you.

Walaikumasalam

Asalaam'alikum brother Bluegazer!

I hope my message finds you in the best of health & spirits. I'm always happy to hear from you.

This article reminds me of a thread I created. Some churches now allow rock n' roll music! You begin to see a pattern here. More and more Christians are losing their faith and diverting away from the teachings of the Bible. It's no wonder that recent survey's here in the U.S. shows more people don't associate themselves to a faith.

May Allah swt keep us steadfast to Islam.

Nurain

Assalamu alaykum Bluegazer

This is a good thread you have begun here. People have reverted to their original position (pre-islamic) of ignorance and not having rules and regulations to abide by anymore. You are right, there are many things which point to this direction, may Allaah protect Islam from being more tainted by outside influences, westernisation, for the sake of being modern, innovations, ameen.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
wa alaikum salaam

somebody once told me that era we are living it is the breaking down of the religion and I see that. I mean everywhere u go ppl are afraid to talk about religion and pray even christians.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Assalamu Alaikum [Peace be upon you],

And you know what they'll say next? "Why don't you Muslims be as open minded as these Anglican Christians and allow songs attacking religion to be sung from mosques?"

It's not open minded behaviour at all. It's being a sell out of your own faith to allow such blasphemies in your own places of worship.

I ask Allah the Almighty to strengthen our faith so that we die as Muslims, and to forgive us our sins.

Aameen.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

This is their ultimate goal, to make us "open minded". In other word they are saying people like the pope is narrow minded (of course pope is for catholic only) and those priests, bishops, pastors, Paul etc all are narrow minded.

Ameen to your du'a.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Asalaam'alikum brother Bluegazer!

I hope my message finds you in the best of health & spirits. I'm always happy to hear from you.

This article reminds me of a thread I created. Some churches now allow rock n' roll music! You begin to see a pattern here. More and more Christians are losing their faith and diverting away from the teachings of the Bible. It's no wonder that recent survey's here in the U.S. shows more people don't associate themselves to a faith.

May Allah swt keep us steadfast to Islam.

Well said brother. It is true what you are saying.

I think we will not be bothered if they desserted their faith for music. It will not make any difference to them. What I'm worried is the danger to our society (e.g. in Malaysia), muslim youth are crazy of music. This is one of the approach employed by church here through musics. Recently, I crossed by a church with a banner in front of the church read as "we provide free tuition for all" I was very sad and disturbed reading this banner. I was thinking what to do. Shall I camp in front of the church to see any poor muslim children walk into the church for free tuition? Free education is not a problem, but this kids will be attracted with the music they have in the church. I understand they do have music classess. One of our brother, former christian who was active church goer, he used to make the holy water, he said one of the thing make our children attacted to christianity is through music. He said many muslim children go to church for music and later they being converted quietely.

The youth are so attach to entertainment, it is time we think of alternative music and entertainment for them.