CBC interview. unveiling the muslim women-worth watching

maisha_d

:salam2:

[vg]-1950353507655248547&q[/vg]

a CBC interview regarding the veil and hijab..interview of three muslim women,non-hijabi,hijabi,and niqabi...worth watching.

:wasalam:

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Whoo! JazakAlah Khair for that link!

I'm on the part where the unveiled Muslim sister is asking "does it state in the Qur'an to cover yourself up?". DEFINATLY WORTH WATCHING!

However...

Brothers be aware that there is an uncovered sister in the film.
I know that some people will overlook what you just said (about the type of peopel in the film) so I'll just post that disclaimer :D

ambo dalle

The sister who unveiled,in my thought she might be forgot to look back the teaching of rasulullah saw. coz in the holly quran we also don't find the way how to do the shalat (prey) five times a day, Allah SWT just said do prey and pay zakat. But Rasulullah SAW teached us how to do it in the rigth way
But If Im wrong I appologize,than pls correct me

Mohamed's wife

Muslim for life
I am deaf and wondering does anyone know how to put subtitles or captions on the video? So i'll know what they are saying. or someone cld give me the summary of what is going on and the summaries of what each woman are saying please? Thank you

OnlyOne

JazakAllah for posting this video. I just really wanted to go and join in on this conversation when they were talking about how men don't have to wear hjiab and that issue. That non-hijabi should make herself knowledgable before acting like an Alim and following her own fatwas.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
I am deaf and wondering does anyone know how to put subtitles or captions on the video? So i'll know what they are saying. Thank you

:bismillah:
I'm not sure how to edit the video to put subtitles in, but I can put the dialouge down here Insha'Allah.

The women are arguing over why it is wrong what the West percieves of the Hijab and whether or not the Hijab is necessary.

I'll divide it into sections:

From the start of the film to 1 1/2 minutes into it (1:30):
(Woman wearing Hijab) - "My name is Sumayyah Hussein, I'm 24 years old, I started wearing Hijab when I was a child; I can't really remember when. I wear it because I believe it is something my Creator wants from me, and I also believe it's a benefit for myself".

(Woman not wearing any veil) - "My name is Sonia Khan, I'm 32, I'm originally from Pakistan, and I don't wear Hijab nor Niqaab".

(Woman wearing Niqaab) - "Hello, my name is Sheikha Al-Kathiri, I'm 20 years old, I've been wearing the Niqaab for 1 year, and I do it to please my Creator and as part of completing my faith".

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Let me ask you straight out what most people I think would want to know is why do you feel it's necessary to hide your face?"

Sister Sheikha - "By covering my face I'm honoring myself and I'm presenting myself to the world as a sum of my character, as a sum of my personalility; my contribution towards society. And..umm...it's just the little bit that I'm doing to...enable me to go through this pass of...of...path of spiritual discovery and it's something that I really feel glad and happy and I feel wonderful for having done it and it's just a spiritual choice".

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Why do you feel wonderful for having done it?"

Sister Sheikha - "It just exemplifies the fact that I'm an honored Muslim woman; I am an honorable woman who...has her own opinions, she has her own voice, I have my own personality, I have my character, I have everything that's wonderful about me I contribute to society and..umm...my beauty is a wonderful part of me as well".

I'll have to continue it tomorrow...

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
I can continue the dialogue right now, Sister Mohamad's Wife.

Continued dialogue from 1 1/2 minutes into the video (1:30) to 3 minutes and 39 seconds into the video (3:39)
Sister Sheikha - "Beauty is a wonderful part of me as well. But I don't feel that I have to display all for the world".

(Woman interviewing the others) - "[talking to Sister Sumayyah] Is that the function of the Hijab when you wear it?"

Sister Sumayyah - "It's basically a message that says that I would like you to judge me based on who I am, and what I do, and it's not based on...you know...the way I look. And...uh...it's...I mean people may not like that but it is a fact that men and women are percieved differently".

Sister Sheikha - "If I wasn't wearing the veil; for example, to me um...a...a...a man coming up to me and just chatting me up. It might be normal; but to me I might not like that".

(Woman interviewing the others) - "I'm interested in the concept of...to...it's...to make men behave better towards you. Is that what I'm hearing?"

Sister Sheikha - "My covering does not exmpt a man from his responsibility as a man...to...to behave himself responsibly as you say; to conduct himself in a morally befitting manner. Just because I cover myself doesn't mean I'm doing it to make his job easier"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Mm... let me put to you what Jack Straw actually said. He said 'Communities are bound together partly by informal chance meetings between strangers. People being able to acknowledge each other in the street or being able to pass the time of day together. That's made more difficult if people are wearing a veil; that's just a fact of life'"

Sister Sheikha - "Oh. I don't agree with that at all. I don't feel that, just because I cover my face, why is that a barrier for you to treat me as a human being, to...umm...relate to me as a human being as somebody with opinions, with personality, with things that they can bring to the table"

Sister Sumayyah - "You know...Muslim women who choose to dress this way do that because they feel...you know cover this way first of all because they believe God wants that of them, you know, and they believe that God knows better for them than they know"

Sister Sonia - "Does it state in the Qur'an that you're supposed to wear a Hijab? I...I...don't think---[cut off by Sister Sumayyah]

Sister Sumayyah - "---Yes it does, it does---[Sister Sonia continues]

Sister Sonia - "[Sister Sumayyah cutting in between]It states directly that you're supposed to wear a Hijab?"

Sister Sumayyah - "[cutting in between Sister Sonia]It does...[pointing to the women interviewing them] She just read it".

Sister Sonia - "[continuing without interruption]I don't think there's a clear statement or understanding but a lot of...uh...I think philosophers of Islamic scholars saying this is exactly what you need to wear. There is no clear understanding on that matter---"[cut off by Sister Sumayyah]

Sister Sumayyah - "[cutting between Sister Sonia]I think there is a clear understanding...There's a very clear understanding...No, I didn't say that...I didn't say that...But...but...there is a majority and a minority..."

Sister Sonia"[continuing]So if you...rethink...there's...there's a literally fair you'll...read...all scholars saying the same thing? I disagree. A lot of scholars will say dress code is in effect.

To be continued...

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Continued dialogue...

From 3 minutes and 39 seconds into the video (3:39) to 6 minutes and 11 seconds into the video (6:11)

(Woman interviewing the others) - "But the face can be open? There's nothing wrong with that...?"

Sister Sumayyah - "The face is not necessary"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "[pointing to Sister Sheikha]Do you believe that?"

Sister Sheikha - Umm...Ya. I wasn't wearing it before and now I am. There are people who do believe that the face is obligatory...but I think that it's their choice in the end"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Sonia: what do you think the message is when you see a veiled woman?"

Sister Sonia - "Then the question...Ok, I'm living in Canada and wearing a Hijab I'm covering up my face. Am I going to be someone who will bring people together? Jews, Christians, Muslims? I don't think so. Am I going to be the one who will be a philosopher; bringing new ideas to the table? Actually getting people involved in the community? I think it'll create more barriers. It's not you it's them. It's...as in the people around you. There are stereotypes; there are percieved notions. All I'm saying is as-as a Muslim you're a missionary at heart. You're supposed to actually attract people towards you not repel them"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Well let me bring this to you, and this is the English translation of the Qur'an: 'Tell the faithful women to lower their gaze and guard their private parts and not display their beauty except what is apparent of it and to extend their scarf to cover their bossom'. [Talking to Sister Sonia] Is that...are you not being faithful to the Qur'an?"

Sister Sonia - "Yes...It doesn't say cover any particular part except for the bossom. So I think it's about the humility of it and that there's no...uhh...kind of implication of what exactly...what item you need to wear. We need to implicate, we need to assimilate, and we need to be able to move from one culture to the other without looking like something from a different era"

Sister Sheikha - "I don't think it creates any barriers. I don't think you have to assimilate in all ways. I think you should assimilate in...in...um...in the basic human ways of goodness and helping others. But we shouldn't have to assimilate in your dress because what is dress? It's just superficial"

Sister Sonia - "No it's not. People always percieve you by what you wear. No one...I'm not talking about your communication...for example if I'm non-Muslim I will judge you. I would put a label on you and I would walk away because---"[cut off by Sister Sumayyah]

Sister Sumayyah - "How is that...How is that our fault, though?"

Sister Sonia - It's not your fault. But, I think the world has changed and as a Muslim; you need to represent Islam as an encompassing thing, not as an exclusionary thing. You're excluding people in your world"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Sumayyah: you want to say something to that?"

Sister Sumayyah - "I think you need to give people a little bit more credit. People are really...they're not that stupid. I mean..."

(Woman interviewing the others) - "You mean the public at large?"

To be continued...

Dawoodi

salam w

salam w

that sister in the midle, i feel sorry for her may Allah show her the rigth way and provide her with proper understanding of the Quran and sunnah.

we can see she has very ignorant perseption of islam.

salam w.

Believe2Succeed

^ May Allah SWT guide all oif us.... many of us are like that, which gives fuel to the fire of hatred and condemnation against the "veil" and "hijab".

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
From 6 minutes and 11 seconds into the video (6:11) to 8 minutes and 50 seconds into the video (8:05)
Sister Sumayyah - "I mean just because someone is covered up in a certain way doesn't mean that everyone is going to see them as someone completely weird"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "But is there discomfort? Can you feel discomfort from people who are not Muslim? Who don't understand?"

Sister Sumayyah - "If I meet someone who doesn't know anything at all about Islam and has no stereotypes, they're gonna be very friendly with me. It's the baggage and it's the stereotypes that makes people...you know...defensive...and...and...prejudiced and so on. I know people are walking...looking at me, don't agree with me and that's totally acceptable"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "How do you know?"

Sister Sumayyah - "I know. I know because the way they look at me"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "How do they look at you?"

Sister Sumayyah - "Ok, there are a few people who give dirty looks and stuff like that...I'm used to it. Most people they're just...they're just...curious; which is...you know...which is fine, too. I wish they'd come ask me; I'd love to explain it"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Essentially what Jack Straw was saying and a lot of other people were saying now is...you know...how can I...trust you? How can I get a feel for what you are saying if I can't see the entirety of your face?"

Sister Sheikha - "Well...let me ask you a question; How do you get a feel for what someone's saying on the phone? And we use telephones...like...constantly nowadays...people use the internet a lot"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Do you believe like you're equal to a man?"

Sister Sheikha - "Oh! The thing is...that...I do believe I'm equal to...to a man"

Sister Sonia - "Why don't men wear the same kind of...equivalent if men are equal to women?"

(Woman interviewing the others) - "Yeah, why is that? Why do you believe men are not required? Presumebly God made---we can all agree that God made all of us...right? He made my face, your face, a man's face...Why would He require a woman to cover some aspect of herself and not a man?"

Sister Sumayyah - "Covering yourself is...is something that's natural to us. We...you know...we cover parts of ourselves that we think is not for public consumption; and if people differ on what that modesty is, I think that's totally fine and I know I shouldn't have a problem with that. And the issue of equality and...and dress...I mean men...men also have their...their own...their own dress code. I mean they can't just...they can't just...you know...walk around wearing whatever they want"

(to be continued...)

Eemaan87

Bismillaah ir Rahman ir Raheem.

Assaalaamu 'alaikum wa rahmaatullaahi wa baraakaatuh.

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of knowledge all three of these Muslimahs displayed. First off, the non-hijabi obviously lacks sufficient knowledge of the Qur'aan, because there is a verse that states the muslimahs must draw their khimars over themselves. Secondly, the niqaabi seems to have the wrong intentions for wearing a niqaab (based on what she said); one should only do optional things for Allaah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) to gain His reward, otherwise the reward will simply be from others or for ourselves. Thirdly, I felt the hijabi sister should have at least addressed the question about muslim men not having to wear hijab, which is of course not true. It would have been best for her to point out, if she knew, that men must cover their awrah, from the knees to the navel, and that this is just as obligatory for them as it for women to wear hijab. As well, wearing business pants and shirts which show the shape of their body is haraam, just as it would be haraam for a sister to wear such tight-fitting clothes.

But what concerns me most is that the sisters let the interviewer get away with saying "Why would God do that?". As Muslims, we know not to question Allaah's (subhanahu wa ta'ala) commandements in the Qur'aan, for He knows best, and these sisters should have explained that. I wish for once the western media would actually interview a knowledgeable scholar of Islaam, like Sheikh al-Fawzaan, or Sheikh al-Madkhalee, or so on. I don't know if they can speak English, though.

Assaalaamu 'alaikum wa rahmaatullaahi wa baraakaatuh.

:salam2: . i felt the Sonia Khan who was from pakistan has no knowledge of Islam or what the quran says. I see that with a lot of pakistani and indian women were hijab is concerened. I know tons of ladies who say were in the quran is it written that we have to wear hijab. Hey the word hijab is not written. They dont know the historical dress code. KHIMAR is a head covering which woman of that time used to wear . It was a scarf which used to come till below the waist. And the women in those days used to wear it pushed back. Like you must have seen how the christians Mariam ( MARY) RA show wearing her scarf. Allah tala said to bring that scarf in the front and not let it hand loose at the back and cover your chest and neck. Does not mean to take it off the head and cover your chest. But it mean the khimar remains on the head but is brought to the front and the chest is covered. The lady in Hijab did not tell what Islam tells about the Aura of Man and Woman. The men are not supposed to wear shorts. I see a lot of brothers wearing it. A mans aura is till his knee. So he has to wear pants that are below his knee. Also a man is supposed to lower his gaze in the presence of a woman.Third a man is supposed to have a beard.

radwan

jazairy
salam alikoum.

I am so proud of my two sisters on the video masha allah,i have a question about downloading video cause i have so many to share with my brothers and sisters but i just don't know how to download them from other web site
If someone can help i will be greatful .
SALAM ALIKOUM.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
salam alikoum.

I am so proud of my two sisters on the video masha allah,i have a question about downloading video cause i have so many to share with my brothers and sisters but i just don't know how to download them from other web site
If someone can help i will be greatful .
SALAM ALIKOUM.

Not sure how you can download it, but maybe the link to the video will help you (Insha'Allah):
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1950353507655248547&q=CBC+News+Sunday:+Unveiling+Women

nasir89ah

Alhumdillah that was a good video......i feel it could have been a little more diverse.....in there selection

and new muslim may Allah bless you for writing out the entire video for the deaf sister

Delyan

salaam

well thanks for posting this very interestting video..The non veiled woman is totally out of the basis of the Quran, she even don't realize that sourate el Noor 's clearly saying as an order from Allah to wear our hejab. Her conception that consists in saying that we re dealing to be excluded from society is pathethic, ignorance ignorance ! she doesnt even know wht she s talki,g about

ripefig

As for the person you call "the sister in the middle," I am too upset to use the word sister right now,:angryred: however, I still ask Allah most high to guide her. Someone had to know her views to invite her to that interview. Did everyone notice her eagerness to please the public instead of Allah? These kind of remarks she made on national TV is disappointing. For every non Muslim who listens to her and don,t know much about Islam will think that it is not obligatory for sisters to cover their heads. She will even be a bad inspiration for weaker Muslims. The two sisters handled themselves pretty well. May Allah guide all the sisters around the world and protect their dignity in this world and the next, AMEEN.

P.S. It takes a special woman to cover herself for the pleasure of their Lord despite the trials and tribulations. May Allah reward you all for your courage and faith.:jazaak:

Delyan

yes totally ok with you, eagerness drove her instead of a real deep kowledge of her deen..she s carrying a big and heavy responsibilities, sins, after such a speech..she doesn't wanna make the step to Islam for she s afraid to discover things that don't suit her being way..using pretenses in the name of modernity to hide what she can't or refuse to assume..the best example is when the journalist read her sourate el noor, look at her answer, absolutely elusive, closed...

I hate that, when someone judges without knowing what we re actually : this is a real discrimination, this is what sterotypes and prejudices are all about...to threw away difference in order to feel more secure whatever it costs...pathethic