Chess

dna1987

Muslim Guy
:salam2:

Ok, let me modify it little bit.

When one plays football for 2 hours, he may get so tired physically that if you ask him to play another 1 hour, i doubt he will. Chess does not tire you so fast and you may play it much longer time with sips of hot tea etc.

When i say mad addiction i meant the condition of those nawabs which i mentioned earlier. I am not able to draw exact pictures of those times right here in your mind. Friends use to sit in majlis, with smoking pipes and big chess borad. From morning to noon, many times wife will send servent to call husband for some important home's work and he will reply : "just coming". Thereafter food will be severed in the majlis and the game will continue. The game will still continue in evening with the tea until wife shout on husband or take another strict measure.

Since the ill effect of such wastage of time through this game that caused greater damage was well known that time, ulemas gave their opinions on the the matter of playing chess. Now we are faced with many similar subjects such as vedio game addiction, TV addiction, chilling addicton and so on....and still ulemas are advising us to be careful from such things.

In my opinion, wastage of time is not preferable, though leisure activities including playing of games (chess too) can be done within controlled time frame for relaxing mind or body or both.

Wassalam

Hmmm, all chess games are limited to time now - the player will lose the match if they run out of time.
When I play on yahoo chesss now and then (haven't played for a while), and I always set the time for each player for only 5 minutes! :) *I'm an impatient chess player! :p*. That's 9mins 59sec MAX time for the game to finish - usually it will finish earlier. Or you can give each player half an hour, or an hour etc. The main point is, that there is a time limit - it's not going to take all day.

As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu
Akhee DNA, I wish we could play a game. I used to like chess but interest has diminished a bit. Not a good player but it tests your thinking capacity.
wa/salam

InshAllah, after exams. I like to play speed chess. 15mins (each player) max. :p And thanks Mr. GP for your post. Salam alaikum everyone.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Well i dont like chess, but with the fatwa provided it looks like it is okay to play. I prefer a game of snooker or pool, with no money involved obviously and it can also help your Maths to, if you have one those scoreboards, the person can take it in turns in adding the scores. Improved my addition although it was subtraction most of the time :)

I have started to give up a few habits i have had which probably affected my progression in Islam, in terms of knowledge, but these have been out of the way i can relax more. The impression im getting is its just a bit of fun and it gets you away from some things.

Inshallah i made sense.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

i think we have a thread in this forum what can we do in 1 minute.
that thraed shows us how valuble is each and every moment for us.
where the people outside are dieing without iman,kalima and we are sitting in our house and busy with chees to sharp our brain.

to thinking about the beautiful things which is made by allah or to make worry about the ummah of prophet(sw)for a while is better then to do a lot of ibadah.

i am not against this game because i had to plaeyd a lot of time.

i think as the prophet of mohammad(sw) and as the last and khairul ummah we should take care of our time.