Chocolate

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

my waistline does not need any more doritios...so I will make my own snacks.

Whey Powder
Whey is the by-product in the manufacturing of cheese and casein. Disposing of this whey has long been a problem. For environmental reasons it cannot be discharged into lakes and rivers; for economical reasons it is not desirable to simply dump it to waste treatment facilities. Converting whey into powder has led to a number products that it can be incorporated into. It is most desirable, if and where possible, to use it for human food, as it contains a small but valuable protein component. It is also feasible to use it as animal feed. Between the pet food industry and animal feed mixers, hundred's of millions of pounds are sold every year. The feed industry may be the largest consumer of dried whey and whey products.
Whey powder is essentially produced by the same method as other milk powders. Reverse osmosis can be used to partially concentrate the whey prior to vacuum evaporation. Before the whey concentrate is spray dried, lactose crystallization is induced to decrease the hygroscopicity. This is accomplished by quick cooling in flash coolers after evaporation. Crystallization continues in agitated tanks for 4 to 24 h.

A fluidized bed may be used to produce large agglomerated particles with free-flowing, non-hygroscopic, no caking characteristics.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Hey!
Salam and thanks to all you chocoholics (and dorito) lovers out there for your replies. I guess the only clear message is always read the labels of what you eat (although i know alot of ingredients is unknown). We can only do our best, but like you've said, theres plently of halal choccies!....I guess i'll have to stick with cardbury's, most of their choccies have a suitable for vegetarian sign on the pakets (i love the turkish delight one). I guess we could campaign to make them halal, but that might be pointless.

Thanks again!
P.s. one other Q, does anyone know what 'whey powder' is and is it halal? (i've heard it isnt)

Salam Alaikum

Whey powder is an animal protein powder, below is an explanation of it

Rennet is an enzyme which can be animal or microbial. It is a mixture of 2 enzymes derived from calves’ stomachs and is used in cheese-making. Whey powder is a product of cheese-making using rennet. If the rennet is extracted from an Islamically slaughtered animal, it is halal. If not, scholars differ in opinion, with permissible and impermissible fatwas arising. Therefore consumption of whey powder and rennet-based products depends on which fatwa is held to. According to taqwa, abstinence is desirable. As far as possible, buy cheese suitable for vegetarians
:wasalam: