Christian wedding invatation

Saidsaad

Selam, IS IT HARAM TO ATTEND?I have been invited to a christian wedding reception. It is to take place in a pub/restarant in the evening. I think it would be haram to be in a place with everyone drinking alcohol and dancing to music. I would like your opinions please.

BigAk

Ahhhh.... It's a hard call.. I am also in the same boat as you.. I live in the US.. On one hand you want to be nice to your Christian friends and want to keep them so you won't be lonely in this life; on the other hand you don't want to come near the evil of drinking alcohol and the corrupted environment associated with it. I say as long as you're not partaking in the drinking, dancing, etc..., you should be alright.... I would probably just show up with the gift, stay briefly and excuse myself as soon as possible....

And Allah knows best...

sal12

I went to a christian wedding but not the reception. The reception is where the party is held but the wedding would usually be in a church! I went to the church and gave the present and everything and then I went home. I didnt attend the reception and this wasnt considered rude because I had attended the wedding so maybe you could do that too.

salek

Selam, IS IT HARAM TO ATTEND?I have been invited to a christian wedding reception. It is to take place in a pub/restarant in the evening. I think it would be haram to be in a place with everyone drinking alcohol and dancing to music. I would like your opinions please.

well brother, i used to go several weddings in the past, not reception. but even though i didn't feel comfortable. it seemed i was involved in a party forbidden by Allah. reception could be one step more........ since when i gave up all the evil things and started to obey the orders of Allah i don't go those kind of party or meetings anymore. i feel Allah doesn't like this. so i wouldn't go anymore. so choce is yours. sorry if i say something wrong. May Allah save us all. ameen

a brother

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Just make appearance

You can go, and just make an appearance, or stay and visit. If you are the only one not doing all the haram, then, what a message it sends to all. We are not to live like them, but we are not to cut ourselves off from them either. Like our prophet (pbuh) said,"we were made tribes and nations so we may know one another."

We cannot isolate ourselves from others, and in the US, you need to send a quiet message. you never know, someone in that group may want to know more....in sha allah you will be ok. The decision is yours.

sal12

If you do stay long, do not sit at a table where anybody drinks. The prophet forbade that. If you do sit, then you have to fast three consecutive days.[/QUOTE]

You have to fast for 3 days? Are you able to post the hadith about this please?

yasin67

I went to a christian wedding but not the reception. The reception is where the party is held but the wedding would usually be in a church! I went to the church and gave the present and everything and then I went home. I didnt attend the reception and this wasnt considered rude because I had attended the wedding so maybe you could do that too.

I totally agree .
May Allah guide us in the right path.Ameen.

muslims.helper

is a Bro, NOT a Sis
Asalamo Aleikum brother,

According to scholars, it is not permissible to attend the part of the weddings that has haram things going into it, but if there is a part of the wedding that doesn't include haram things (like drinking, musics, songs, ...etc). You can attend it then leave after. Also, you can visit or invite them after the weddings to congratulate them and give them their gift.

Here are some links that I got the info from:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/60442/
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/45789/
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10957/

May Allah give you the strength the follow His order and reward you with lots of good deeds in this life and hereafter for seeking the righteous path.