CNN: The Hijab

Asalaamalikum,

Look at this biased article. A non-Muslim woman says a hijab is not a requirement. She never studied Islam and makes false statements to the public. Why not ask a Muslim woman! They also never gave the name of "religious experts" either, because they know it's not true and they are giving false information. No scholar would say that the hijab is not obligatory (required)!

CNN) -- Last year at Christmastime, Rehan Seyam, a Muslim living in New Jersey, went to pick up some things at a local Wal-Mart. Seeing her distinctive traditional Muslim head covering called a "hijab," a man in the store, addressing her directly, sang "The 12 Days of Christmas" using insulting lyrics about terrorism and Osama bin Laden.

She was stunned.

"Do I look like a terrorist to you?" Seyam said she asked the man.

According to Seyam, the man replied, "What else does a terrorist look like?"

Such stories are not altogether uncommon for Muslim Americans. According to a recent poll by the Pew Research Center, 53 percent of Muslims living in America said it has become more difficult to be a Muslim in the United States since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Fifty-one percent said they are "very worried" or "somewhat worried" that women wearing the hijab are treated poorly, according to the poll.

A simple headscarf generally used by women to hide the hair from view, the hijab has become so controversial among some that several countries have banned or considered banning Muslim women from wearing them in public places. In light of this contentiousness, why do Muslim women choose to wear the hijab? Watch the making of CNN's TV special "God's Warriors" »

Gayad al-Khalik lives in Egypt and says the hijab is a focus on inner beauty.

"I want to shift the attention from my outer self to my inner self when I deal with someone, I don't want them to look at me in a way that wouldn't suit me," she told CNN in an upcoming documentary called "God's Warriors."

God's Warriors
CNN's Christiane Amanpour examines the effects of Judaism, Islam and Christianity as a powerful political force around the world.
Watch Tuesday through Thursday, Aug. 21-23, at 9 p.m. ET

see full schedule »
Al-Khalik is fluent in English and German; studied in Europe; plays Western music on her guitar; and spent time working for a women's rights organization.

She wears the hijab -- and says it's not just for religious reasons.

"My own conclusion was it is debatable whether it is a religious obligation or not, but I chose to keep it on because I do believe in modesty and you shouldn't be showing off yourself," al-Khalik said.

The Quran calls for women to be modest in their dress but interpretation of the edict varies widely, according to religious experts who spoke with CNN. An author who has written widely on Islam told CNN the Quran does not require women to wear the hijab.

"There's nothing in the Quran about all women having to be veiled or secluded in a certain part of the house. That came in later [after Prophet Mohammed's time]," said religious historian and author Karen Armstrong.

For Seyam, the hijab is a religious duty. "It's God's wish," she said.

"It's a requirement by God. He wants us to cover. He wants us to be modest," Seyam said.

But as important as the hijab is to her, Seyam's decision to cover her face wasn't one she made easily.

"It was very dramatic for me. And I remember, even now thinking about it, it really does make my heart beat a little bit faster," she said, "I was making a decision I knew was permanent. You put on hijab, you don't take it off."

Don't Miss
In Depth: God's Warriors
How strong is your faith?
Christians, Jews in Holy Land alliance
One man's journey to faith
Through her childhood growing up in Long Island, New York, Seyam prayed with her devout Muslim parents, but says she was just "going through the motions." It wasn't until college that she decided to wear a hijab consistently.

Influenced by her more devout friends, Seyam decided being a good Muslim meant covering her head.

"My sole purpose is to be here for the sake of Allah, and I'm doing something that he specifically says that you should be doing."

Seyam said there were practical factors in her decision as well. "I'm sick of guys catcalling. It was just driving me crazy. I felt like a piece of meat."

But Seyam says she traded in catcalling for a different kind of negative attention. People "look at me as if I am threatening and I do not feel like I am threatening looking. I don't feel I should instill fear in anybody's heart, but I do feel like I get dirty looks," she said.

Still, Seyam says her faith sustains her and that wearing the hijab is an important part of that faith.

"I'm not here to live my life and do whatever I want. I'm here to worship God," Seyam said. "I don't think that everybody has that, and I think that I'm lucky for it." E-mail to a friend

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/21/hijab.godswarriors/index.html

kayleigh

Karen Armstrong isn't just simply an uneducated non-Muslim who's never studied the religion - to say so is completely false. She's the only non-Muslim to have written a biography of Muhammad (saw) that is promoted and endorsed by Muslims in general. She knows Islam quite well and you certainly don't have to be Muslim to be an expert on Islam.

The article has presented both opinions. I think it would be wrong of them to come out and state that hijab IS obligatory, but they should have stressed that the majority of scholars also consider it obligatory. It's not exactly fair or right that they back the non-obligatory opinion with a few experts, but only back the obligatory stance by one, average, every-day Muslim women. Where are the experts and scholars saying that it IS obligatory? Not a balanced article at all.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam
Yes she may be knows the religion but what is she saying

"
There's nothing in the Quran about all women having to be veiled or secluded in a certain part of the house. That came in later [after Prophet Mohammed's time]," said religious historian and author Karen Armstrong.

The Quran calls for women to be modest in their dress but interpretation of the edict varies widely, according to religious experts who spoke with CNN. An author who has written widely on Islam told CNN the Quran does not require women to wear the hijab.

Where they taking this from.They can't just say whatever they want....from the author who writes some books...
I've read one of The Karen Armstrong's book
don't know exact name
Its Judaism ,Christianity and Islam
Its really heavy to read and I didn't like it...

I want to see this "Gods worriors "documentary that they making up
It starts today on cnn at 9 pm

wasalam

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
:salam2:

I just noticed I have this book also. I am taking a class this semester that uses this book. Another Sister took this class and said the book had some minor things she did agree with but overall a good text.

:wasalam:
Sarah

salam
Yes she may be knows the religion but what is she saying

"

Where the taking this from.They can't just say whatever they want....

I've read one of The Karen Armstrong's book
don't know exact name
Its Judaism ,Christianity and Islam
Its really heavy to read and I didn't like it...

I want to see this "Gods worriors " that they making up
It starts today on cnn at 9 pm

wasalam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
I love Karen Armstrong personally I wish all non Muslims could think like her.
CNN on the other hand tends to get things twisted

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

I watched a little bit of I believe was "God's Warriors" last night. The reporter was speaking of how the Jewish people started their quest to occupy after WW2. Just from what I saw it was good because she brought out documents from other Jewish people who clearly stated that what they were doing was a clear violation of International Law. Sorry if it is a bad summary but it was late when I watched it.

Sarah

kayleigh

God Warrior is good in that it promotes inter-faith understanding through exposing the reasons for extremism in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. The third part airs tomorrow (August 22) and it's on Christianity, I believe. The Islam episode was today (August 21). It wasn't fantastic, and it's not anything new, so Muslims wouldn't get much out of it, but Christian Amanpour does make the point that suicide bombings are NOT found in Islam, and tries to separate groups like al-Qaeda from the vast majority of Muslims. She also tries to un-demonize Islam and tries to combat the idea that Iranians are big evil terrorists which is starting to grow in the media.

In the Larry King "pre show", she also was talking to a Muslim scholar and said that now, with a resurgence in faith all across the board, is the time for the normal, average, non-violent Muslim to take a stand against the extremists and expose those who are "hijacking the religion." Frankly, I agree with her.

muslimin

Salaam brothers and sisters,
found a good article regarding Hijab requirements on Islamonline.net
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544632

:astag: I wonder who are the Islamic experts who blatantly says on CNN that hijab is not obligitory. Non - muslims watching these kind of programmes will now be hoodwinked by these so called experts .... I beleive that if anyone who wants to seek knowledge and advise about Islam, then one should approach reknowned sholars of Islam or Muftis in order to get the right interpretation on a certain topic.

Wassalam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best

I watched a little bit of I believe was "God's Warriors" last night. The reporter was speaking of how the Jewish people started their quest to occupy after WW2. Just from what I saw it was good because she brought out documents from other Jewish people who clearly stated that what they were doing was a clear violation of International Law. Sorry if it is a bad summary but it was late when I watched it.

Sarah

Too bad I don't have that channel :(