College Grads

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
:salam2:

I'm working on a project about college life struggles, and I'm interested to know from those of you who have graduated from college...please answer the following questions, inshaaAllah

what would you say was your biggest struggle in college?
What were the main obstacles you had to overcome in order to graduate?
If you could go back to being a freshman in college, what would you do different?

strive-may-i

:wasalam:

So, one whole day passed , and no reports of struggle. Hence you can safely conclude - The so called 'College life' is easiest :)

Obstacles? Not being able to see bigger picture and wasting time, is biggest obstacle. This is true for every human at each stage of life. Applies more to students. And that's because most students are shielded from responsibilities, very few have to toil and earn for their own education.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleikum, i hade to move away from my parents in other city and my main struggle was money, i was working 3 days and going university 2 days, even if my classes where everyday, alhamdulillah for my good friend colegue that kept me in touch ... And alhamdulillah for everything. :salam2:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam alaikum,

The brother is right...if only I had the time to play like I did back then..if only my mind was as razor sharp...I used to read a book a day on top of the assigned readings...I took all kinds of classes because I was so hungry to learn...

the obstacles are this: college is fun. Now..in this horrible economy you need a skill. What can you take that is going to provide food on the table. Student loans are not the way to go.

College is a luxury. It is not for everyone. And I strongly suggest that many look at certifications as an alternative to the degree.

Um Ibrahim

:salam2:

Jazaakumulaahu Kheyran to all who replied. I really appreciate your feedback and answers! I agree with you all. Aapa, fun?! I haven't had fun...well except for my first semester of college...I had too much fun!

My biggest problem like the brother said was wasting time. And being confused about what I wanted to major in. It took me forever to decide on a major, writing:)

Aapa, you're definitely right about student loans NOT being the way to go! Alhamdulilah never had to take out student loans. I avoided them even if it meant not graduating on time.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

My oldest and I are spending time this summer looking for the perfect college match. And that is an obstacle for many who are contemplating going to school. Where do you find the perfect match.

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away when I was an undergraduate my college lost its accreditation for my major. I had to make a decision, quick and fast as to how do I change my major without losing credits. I ended up transferring; I did not like the change. From a very liberal arts school full of ideas I ended up in the most conservative school and knew I was going to die from boredom. I do not think that I have fully recovered. Both schools had excellent and world renowned faculty. But, my lord were some of those conservative folks boring.

I think one major obstacle is not knowing what you want to do upon graduation. A perfect match lessens the pains I had to endure.

sultanb

what would you say was your biggest struggle in college? overcoming lazyness.

What were the main obstacles you had to overcome in order to graduate? to focus on college. I became preoccupied with useless things. But I think if hadn't, I wouldn't have known what I known now. So, good thing I learned something.

If you could go back to being a freshman in college, what would you do different? I would think of my future more and strive to achieve a direct goal.

The other answers are amazing btw. I think we will find many commonalities in the answer and realize that mentorship is very important when entering college. I hope I will be able to provide that when my children go to college.

Um Ibrahim

what would you say was your biggest struggle in college? overcoming lazyness.

What were the main obstacles you had to overcome in order to graduate? to focus on college. I became preoccupied with useless things. But I think if hadn't, I wouldn't have known what I known now. So, good thing I learned something.

If you could go back to being a freshman in college, what would you do different? I would think of my future more and strive to achieve a direct goal.

The other answers are amazing btw. I think we will find many commonalities in the answer and realize that mentorship is very important when entering college. I hope I will be able to provide that when they go to college.

Brother Sultanb,

Thanks for contributing your experience. Looking at what you wrote, I feel like I could've easily written that lol. Those were the same problems I had.