Confused?!?!?!?!?

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome dear brothers and sisters.......

I have been reading Quran again from the begining in honor of Ramadan. For some reason this time (my 4th time reading) it seems much more clear to me except I ran into something in Chapter 2 (The Cow) towards the end it was saying that on Judgement day we will be judged according to all of our deeds here on earth.

My confusion comes because it seemed to me while I was reading that EVERYTHING you do here on earth is included on judgement day. Well that confused me because I thought that if you repent those sins are wiped away and if you fast you lose some sins and if you do good deeds more sins are gone. Also just taking your shahada for a revert is supposed to make ALL of your past sins disappear as if you are a newborn baby.

So where are all the sins going??? Why dont we need to pay for those sins? Does it matter how big or small the sins are?? If we need to pay for our sins as the Quran says do we only pay for the ones AFTER taking shahada? And if so what sins will we be shown in our book on the Judgement day???? And why should a revert be so priveledged to have ALL their past sins wiped away just for saying "la illaha ill Allah?" That somehow doesnt seem very fair to those BORN Muslims who have strived ALL their lives in the path of righteousness yet the revert did whatever they desired all the years up until taking the shahada. I have no intention of questioning Allah please understand but these things just seem so unfair and Islam is NOT an unfair religion in fact it is the most FAIR religion I have ever known about. Yet I remain.............confused!?!?!?!?

zbhotto

Banned
A reply

As salamo alaikome dear brothers and sisters.......

I have been reading Quran again from the begining in honor of Ramadan. For some reason this time (my 4th time reading) it seems much more clear to me except I ran into something in Chapter 2 (The Cow) towards the end it was saying that on Judgement day we will be judged according to all of our deeds here on earth.

My confusion comes because it seemed to me while I was reading that EVERYTHING you do here on earth is included on judgement day. Well that confused me because I thought that if you repent those sins are wiped away and if you fast you lose some sins and if you do good deeds more sins are gone. Also just taking your shahada for a revert is supposed to make ALL of your past sins disappear as if you are a newborn baby.

So where are all the sins going??? Why dont we need to pay for those sins? Does it matter how big or small the sins are?? If we need to pay for our sins as the Quran says do we only pay for the ones AFTER taking shahada? And if so what sins will we be shown in our book on the Judgement day???? And why should a revert be so priveledged to have ALL their past sins wiped away just for saying "la illaha ill Allah?" That somehow doesnt seem very fair to those BORN Muslims who have strived ALL their lives in the path of righteousness yet the revert did whatever they desired all the years up until taking the shahada. I have no intention of questioning Allah please understand but these things just seem so unfair and Islam is NOT an unfair religion in fact it is the most FAIR religion I have ever known about. Yet I remain.............confused!?!?!?!?

THere is no confusion. The angel on your left side is writing down the sin but He does not write until you repent. If you repent it wiill be recorded by the angel on your right hand side and you will see those things on the Day of judgement. Apart from this ALLAH SWT already has an account for you and He SWT knows before you what you would do in fuure. This is called predestiny.
He knows when and how you would repent and it has been already written in His tablet.

Hope now you can remove your confusion by yourslef.

hassana elkoussi

As-salamu alaikom dear sister,

You needn't get so confused,sis. Allah SWT is not doing us - born Muslims- any injustice, He's the Most Just, remember. We, too, have our sins , and we, too, repent, so our sins are wiped out as well. And we have been fasting for years , not to mention the nafl fasting, so isA, we'll be having many rewards. As long as we keep asking forgiveness for our sins,these sins will be erased and there's a hadith which says, " All sons of Adam are sinners, and the best of those sinners are those who repent." So you needn't worry, coz there's nothing unfair here.:hearts: Take care, sis, and may Allah accept all our good deeds.

salah_khan

It should be noted that sins are of two types:

1 – Transgressions against the rights of Allaah.

2 – Transgressions against the rights of created beings.

With regard to the first type:

Transgressions against the rights of Allaah – such as adultery, drinking alcohol, neglecting obligatory duties such as prayer, zakaah, etc. These sins are punishable according to sharee’ah, such as adultery and drinking, for which the hadd punishment is to be carried out on the one who does them, and that is an expiation and a purification for him. If the hadd punishment is not carried out on him, but he repents to Allaah, then Allaah will accept his repentance and turn his bad deeds (sayi’aat) into good deeds (hasanaat).

Whoever meets Allaah with these sins, without having repented or had the hadd punishment carried out on him, is subject to the will of Allaah on the Day of Resurrection: if He wills He will punish him and if He wills He will forgive him.

Al-Bukhaari (18) and Muslim (1709) narrated from ‘Ubaadah ibn al-Saamit (may Allaah be pleased with him) – who was present at the Battle of Badr and was one of the prominent figures on the night of al-‘Aqabah – that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, when there was a group of his companions around him: “Give me your oath of allegiance (bay’ah), pledging that you will not associate anything with Allaah, you will not steal, you will not commit adultery, you will not kill your children, you will not fabricate lies and you will not disobey with regard to anything that is right and proper. If you fulfil that, your reward will be with Allaah, but whoever commits any of these actions, his punishment will be in this world and it will be an expiation for him. Whoever does any of these things then Allaah conceals him, it will be up to Allaah: if He wills He will forgive him and if He wills He will punish him.” So they gave their oath of allegiance to him on that basis.

According to a report narrated by al-Bukhaari (6416): “Whoever does any of these things will be punished in this world and that will be an expiation for him and a purification.”

Al-Haafiz said in al-Fath (1/68): It is understood from this hadeeth that carrying out the hadd punishment is an expiation for sin, even if the person who is punished does not repent. This is the view of the majority of scholars…

Ahmad (1365) narrated that ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever commits a sin in this world and is punished for it, Allaah is too just to punish His slave a second time. Whoever commits a sin in this world then Allaah conceals that and forgives him, Allaah is too generous to go back to something that He has forgiven.”

This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Arnaa’oot in Tahqeeq al-Musnad, and al-Haafiz classed a similar report from al-Tabaraani as hasan.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who invoke not any other ilaah (god) along with Allaah, nor kill such person as Allaah has forbidden, except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse and whoever does this shall receive the punishment.

The torment will be doubled to him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein in disgrace;

Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Furqaan 25:68-70]

“Verily, Allaah forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners (in worship) with Him, but He forgives whom He wills, sins other than that, and whoever sets up partners in worship with Allaah, has indeed strayed far away.”

[al-Nisa’ 4:116]

This verse has to do with the one who does not repent. He is subject to the will of Allaah, unless he commits shirk (the sin of associating other with Allaah), because shirk cannot be forgiven.

With regard to the second type of sins:

Transgressions against the rights of people, such as transgressing against their wealth by stealing it or seizing it by force, etc., or transgressing against their honour by means of gossip and slander, or harming them physically by striking them, etc. Repentance from this type of sin is subject to the condition that the rights be restored to the people, or they agree to forgive the offender.

Whoever does not do that will remain subject to the effects of his sin until the Day of Resurrection, when an amount commensurate with his offence will be taken from his good deeds (hasanaat), as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever has wronged anyone with regard to his honour or anything else, let him settle the matter today before there is no dinar and no dirham, and if he has any righteous deeds, an amount commensurate with his wrongdoing will be taken from him, and if he has no good deeds (to his credit) some of the bad deeds of his companion will be taken and added to his burden.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2317.

From this we know that the view that the sinner must be punished in this world is a view for which there is no evidence, but if a person is punished (in this world) that will be an expiation for him, and if he is not punished then he repents from his sin, Allaah will accept his repentance.

Even more false than this is the view of those who say that the punishment for sin may be borne by someone other than the sinner, as some ignorant people say concerning Adam (peace be upon him), claiming that his progeny – including the Prophets – bore the burden of his sin until God sent down His only son to be crucified and slain to free the world of sin! This is a lie and a fabrication against Allaah and against His Prophets, and is a kind of injustice of which the divinely-revealed laws are free, because Allaah does not punish anyone for the sins of another. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And no bearer of burdens shall bear another’s burden”

[Faatir 35:18]

Allaah is too merciful and too just to punish the offspring for the sins of their father, especially since he repented and Allaah accepted his repentance.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Then the Shaytaan (Satan) made them slip therefrom (the Paradise), and got them out from that in which they were. We said: ‘Get you down, all, with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be a dwelling place for you and an enjoyment for a time.’

Then Adam received from his Lord Words. And his Lord pardoned him (accepted his repentance). Verily, He is the One Who forgives (accepts repentance), the Most Merciful”

[al-Baqarah 2:36-37]

“Then they both ate of the tree, and so their private parts became manifest to them, and they began to cover themselves with the leaves of the Paradise for their covering. Thus did Adam disobey his Lord, so he went astray.

Then his Lord chose him, and turned to him with forgiveness, and gave him guidance”

[Ta-Ha 20:121-122]

So two things apply in the case of Adam: he was punished for his sin, and he repented from it and Allaah accepted his repentance, and He chose him and honoured him.

The point is that whoever lives a life filled with disobedience and sin only has to turn to his Lord, the most Merciful and Most Generous, and seek His forgiveness and repent, in order for Allaah to accept his repentance, as Allaah has promised (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Zumar 39:53]

This is part of the kindness that Allaah has made in this tolerant sharee’ah. It was decreed for the Children of Israel that the innocent among them kill the wrongdoers so that their repentance would be accepted [cf. al-Baqarah 2:54], then Allaah lifted this heavy burden from this nation on whom He has had mercy.

Finally we ask Allaah to bless the questioner and guide him and open his heart to Islam, so that he may become a member of the Muslim ummah (nation) which accepts Allaah as its Lord, Islam as its religion and Muhammad as its Prophet.

And Allaah knows best.
Islamqa.com

Isra

aka Tree2008
From this we know that the view that the sinner must be punished in this world is a view for which there is no evidence, but if a person is punished (in this world) that will be an expiation for him, and if he is not punished then he repents from his sin, Allaah will accept his repentance.

As salamo alaikome.

I dont understand this post. So is it saying that we DO pay for our sins in this life and that is better for us or not??? Is it saying that is only in theory since there is no evidence to prove it???

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
As salamo alaikome.

I dont understand this post. So is it saying that we DO pay for our sins in this life and that is better for us or not??? Is it saying that is only in theory since there is no evidence to prove it???

Wa allaicum saalam dear sister

You should need be confused sister. Allah can punish people for thier sins on this world and hereafter Inshallah,and it is Allah promisse. We have many example from Quran where Allah wa teala is warning us that He was punishing sinners before,but also Allah can forgive if someone reapent honestly to Him.
We have many examples where Allah subhan we teala is saying how He punished sinners on this world,and that He will Punish also on the onother world.
We have example of from Suraah "Al-Nahl" where Allah sais "And before them they were those who were making troubles Allah destrroy their bulidings and the roof has fallen on them-it came to them Punishment where they did not expected", (Al-nahl:26).We have many example sister in Quran like sinner people in the time of Prophet Lut s.a.w.s,Farrons,Prophet Yunus s.a.w.s. and many more examples.

Allahs punishing of mainkinds before us should be example and message,because Holy Quran is gudiance to all worlds untill Day of Judgment.

I hope Inshallah I could explain you sister:tti_sister:

May Allah bless you

:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Allah (swt) says in The Qura'an:

"So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom shall see it. And whosoever does evil equal to the weight of an atom shall see it." [Az-Zalzala 7-8]

The deeds of men..whether they be *bad* OR *good*..will be reviewed by Allah (swt)..so you don't get judged *only* for your bad deeds..your good deeds are also layed out before Allah..why do you think there are so many hadiths speaking of Muslims who will be *praised* by Allah and creation..on the day of judgment or possess a blessing over others?..it is because of their *good deeds* witnessed and reviewed by Allah (swt)

As for your bad deeds..then what you have been pardoned for (through repentence and/or asking for pardon)..will be wiped away completely..and what you have asked forgiveness for can be replaced with a good deed or wiped away as well..so it is all in the hands of the servant and what he/she wants to make of his/her chances on earth before meeting Allah..and He (swt) says:

"Surely! Allah wrongs not even of the weight of an atom, but if there is any good (done), He doubles it, and gives from Him a great reward." [An-Nisaa'a 40]

Isra

aka Tree2008
:salam2:
As for your bad deeds..then what you have been pardoned for (through repentence and/or asking for pardon)..will be wiped away completely:wasalam:

Wa alaikome salam....

Ok this is what I need to know.........so what you are saying here is IF you are pardoned for any bad deeds you may have committed ALL will be wiped away completely???? Is that ONLY if you repent or ask for pardon or does that include what happened when you took shahada??? In other words Im asking does shahada wipe clean ALL of the past or do I still need to make repentance of some sins from the past????

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Wa alaikome salam....

Ok this is what I need to know.........so what you are saying here is IF you are pardoned for any bad deeds you may have committed ALL will be wiped away completely???? Is that ONLY if you repent or ask for pardon or does that include what happened when you took shahada??? In other words Im asking does shahada wipe clean ALL of the past or do I still need to make repentance of some sins from the past????

As for as my understanding goes, when you took the Sahada all the sins which you've committed up until that point will be completely erased. So, you're like a blank slate now.

However the sins you commit after becoming Muslims are nonetheless sins, some are forgiven some may not be forgiven, or maybe all of them are forgiven in this life time(only Allah knows since He is the Judge).
Think of it this way, we'll all continue to sin until our death, and all the sins we've committed are recorded in the book. Amongst these sins, some are forgiven, some are replaced by our good deeds, some may follow us to our graves and will be forgiven during the trial of the grave. So this is an ongoing process until our death, and think of the two angels as our accountants constantly recording our deeds :)

But, we don't know what is forgiven and what isn't and hence that is why we always ask for forgiveness and we never stop doing good :).
Rest assure, we have ample opportunities for erasing our sins and being forgiven. Allah SWT is the Most Merciful, He is the Oft-Forgving, He SWT loves to forgive.

Isra

aka Tree2008
As for as my understanding goes, when you took the Sahada all the sins which you've committed up until that point will be completely erased. So, you're like a blank slate now.

As salamo alaikome

Yes this was my understanding too but is there some verse in Quran to back this idea up??? I want to know where this idea came from?

wasalam

mhamzah

As salamo alaikome

Yes this was my understanding too but is there some verse in Quran to back this idea up??? I want to know where this idea came from?

wasalam

:salam2: sister,

Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief) their past will be forgiven. But if they return (thereto), then the examples of those (punished) before them have already preceded (as a warning). [8:38]

Muslim (121) narrated that ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: When Allaah put Islam in my heart, I came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Give me your right hand so that I may swear allegiance to you.” He held out his hand and I withdrew my hand. He said, “What is the matter, O ‘Amr?” I said, “I want to stipulate a condition.” He said, “What do you want to stipulate?” I said, “That I will be forgiven.” He said, “Do you not know that Islam destroys that which came before it.

Isra

aka Tree2008
:salam2: sister,

Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief) their past will be forgiven. But if they return (thereto), then the examples of those (punished) before them have already preceded (as a warning). [8:38]

Muslim (121) narrated that ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: When Allaah put Islam in my heart, I came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Give me your right hand so that I may swear allegiance to you.” He held out his hand and I withdrew my hand. He said, “What is the matter, O ‘Amr?” I said, “I want to stipulate a condition.” He said, “What do you want to stipulate?” I said, “That I will be forgiven.” He said, “Do you not know that Islam destroys that which came before it.

wa alaikome salam

Jazakallah khairan dear sister for the Prophets (sal allahu allayhi wa salam) words filled my heart with peace. But the verse in Quran could have simply meant their past "disbelief" will be forgiven. It isnt sayiing specifically their past "sins" will be forgiven.

However the Prophets (sal allahu alayhi wa salam) words are sufficient to ease my mind. I trust in that.

wasalam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Wa alaikome salam....

No you do not need to make repentence for what you committed *before* taking the shahadah..*all* of your sins are forgiven upon making the shahadah...

Allah (swt) says in the Qura'an:

"Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief), their past will be forgiven." [Al-Anfaal 38]

Rasulullah said in a hadith regarding the instances where sins would be *forgiven or wiped away in entirety* for a Muslim:

"Islam subverts what is before it, migration subverts what is before it, and piligrimage subverts what is before it" [Sahih Muslim]

the part in red *specifically* regards *reversion*..so it is of course directed at and is inclusive of *you* and all of our revert brothers and sisters :)..