Converting without believing, what's your take?

Free Thinker

Not speaking personally, but hypothetically.

Say... a woman meets a Muslim, fall in love and decide to get married. To make matters easier with the man's family, she decides to convert. However, she does not really believe. So she may perform her duty as a Muslim wife out of love and respect for her husband and in-laws, but her heart is not really into it.

Is the woman in the wrong or is being Muslim better than not being a Muslim in any circumstance?

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Hello Free Thinker!

My view is as follows:

Being a muslim is two folds. Beliefs and deeds.

Not believing what muslim belives, but doing what a muslim is uspposed to do is still better than nothing.

However, in your hypothetical scenario, the person will be committing a great act of hypocracy.

The best course of action would be if the lady tells the husband to be that she doesnt beileve what he belives, but will follow him in his actions out of love.

Allah knows best

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
Assalamualaikum,

Rewards from ALLAH is purely based on the intentions...

This statement is self-explanatory. The lady has a good chance to learn about Islam. So, if she has the intention, let her do so with an open mind.

wonnee3

Trying 2 plz ALLAH

Say... a woman meets a Muslim, fall in love and decide to get married. To make matters easier with the man's family, she decides to convert. However, she does not really believe. So she may perform her duty as a Muslim wife out of love and respect for her husband and in-laws, but her heart is not really into it.

Is the woman in the wrong or is being Muslim better than not being a Muslim in any circumstance?
Freethinker, from what i've read, it is ok 4 a Muslim man 2 marry a non Muslim woman, but, not 4 a Muslim woman 2 marry a non Muslim man. it is n r nature 2 follow a males lead, not all males r worthy of following but, 4 the most part that is what we emulate. if the male n ur sceniriois a believer she will c the beauty of Islam and slow adapt 2 the teachings however minute it is.

aishah_2304m

peace lover
asalamualikyum wa rahmutulaahi wa baraktu brother Free Thinker...

i would say dat that the muslim man should try his best to be a practising muslim in order to please Allah(swt) first and den be an example of how a muslim man is to her...da way he deals wid her should be such dat she understands da goodness of islam and does not feels anythin negative about it....he should be a righteous husband in accordance to the quran and the sunaah

i don think der is anythin bad in it...it can be a chance brother for her to get to know islam Allah-u-alam....both ur intentions should b sincere insha Allah

u cannot change people but u can make them think and Allah is all-knower of ur intentions.

hope this helps insha Allah

jazaaq Allah khair brother

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

First I think converting just to please his parents is a bad idea.A muslim man can marry a Christain or Jew. If he loves you this should not be a problem and inshallah by marrying you then you can learn to appreciate Islam and then covert if you believe. The first thing to be muslim is to take the Shahada and believe it in your heart. That there is one God and he has no helpers and Mohammed (SAWS) is his messenger. If you say it and do not believe it you are still not muslim. If you are willing to do as muslims do to please them (observe hijab, pray,etc...) my question to you is Why do you not believe? Because your faith in what ever religion you have must not be stronger than the love you have for this man to convert and live you life base on something you dont believe or do you already believe somethings in Islam and need clarification for others? If that is the case then converting is fine as long as the confusion is not about the Prophet (SAWS) being the last prophet.

Salam
Amirah80

Salem9022

You can't convert to Islam if you don't have any belief in it. You have to have Beleif in the Heart, Action of the Limbs and Affirmation of the Tongue. Islam is not christianity, No One died for our sins.

Hello Free Thinker,

Converting for the sake of the husband is utterly wrong. If the husband was pious and practicing then he would know this and make sure she understands what she is getting into first. If the husband is a Muslim but does not practice, then he too would be a Muslim just by name. Who is here to make the call whether they believe or not?...only God.

Islam is based on faith AND deeds and only God knows what's in the heart of individuals. Christianity is only based only on faith and NOT on action (i.e. original sin).

This is an excerpt of a hadith:

One day while the Prophet (pbuh) was sitting in the company of some people, (The angel) Gabriel came and asked, "What is faith?" Allah's Apostle replied, 'Faith is to believe in Allah, His angels, (the) meeting with Him, His Apostles, and to believe in Resurrection." Then he further asked, "What is Islam?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah Alone and none else, to offer prayers perfectly to pay the compulsory charity (Zakat) and to observe fasts during the month of Ramadan." (Bukhari)

She doesn't even have to be called a Muslim to believe in God (without associating partners) only & do good deeds, because:

"And there are, certainly, among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), those who believe in God and in that which has been revealed to you, and in that which has been revealed to them, humbling themselves before God. They do not sell the Verses of God for a little price, for them is a reward with their Lord. Surely, God is Swift in account" (3:199)

BroNfaith

Peace!

To be a muslim, a person should submit to the fact that none is worthy of worship except Allah (Might and Glory be to Him), and that Mohammad :saw: is His messenger. He/she should believe in it from the heart, and not pretend to be muslim to gain some benefit. Pretending is called "hipocrisy" and in the book of Allah: "Surely the hypocrites are in the lowest stage of the fire and you shall not find a helper for them." 4:145
So, the answer of your question is that she's in the wrong.

In response to someone else, who said that a muslim man can marry any non-muslim woman, it is completely wrong as it has certain limitations. You can check here: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21380/

We're in an enviroment where we have alot of new muslims & non-muslims who don't know much about our faith and believing anything you say, so please don't pass the wrong information. This is considered a major sin: "Say: My Lord has only prohibited indecencies, those of them that are apparent as well as those that are concealed, and sin and rebellion without justice, and that you associate with Allah that for which He has not sent down any authority, and that you say against Allah what you do not know." 7:33

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Hello Freethinker,

I am really surprise but again love is blind (No offence in anyway). In Islam a man can marry a women no matter what she is especaily if she is a Chirstain or Jewss. So my opinion would be tell your husband the true and if he truly loves you as you love him. He will take you as you are because first he loves you and second his religion allows him to. In you too are destiny to be together you will make it through and laugh at it at the end which i hope you will. So my dearest advice is that. Second to that in my opinion no one is worth changing your belief over for. So no matter what religion you have keep in mind that at the end of the day what matters to you (at least should)be your religion and beliefs. People are rather going to like you for that or hate you but you will have to answer to your creator not them them not to them. Best of luck and May Allah guide you in the right path.

Rimatisma

^^^ما لي وللدنيا؟^^^

انما الأعمال بالنيات، ولكل امرئ ما نوى

ennama ala'amal bel neyyat wa lekolle emre'en ma nawa!

people will be rewarded for their actions upon their intention!

:eek:

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
definetly not muslim

asalamu alaykum,

then that person is not a muslim, coz when you say u r a muslim u have to believe it in ur heart, not doing just becoz u want to make someone happy or be with someone.

nice explanation brother humblewun explained it really well
:)

sha587

Shahid abdullah
People became Muslim by their heart not with words. Anyone can speaks words. Words dont matter even if a person dont say kalimah and believe in allah and his messenger than he is Muslim.

As a matter of fact i cant see love. If she really love to that person than she should not be a hypocrite and she does not love to that person. First thing in Love is truth she even did not cross that boundary.

Not a good Muslim and Not a good lover. She did not find out the Allah and she did not even worth for Love. Sorry to speak truth.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i believe that you have to convert based on really believing. if you are performing the actions without belief, then those deeds mean nothing. i'm gonna be honest, and i don't want to offend any one, but i have a question; why would a muslim man want to marry a non muslim woman? there are so many muslim women seeking husbands it's amazing. yet this muslim wants to marry an unbeliever. i believe that this ummah is in such a vulnerable state, that we cannot afford to marry outside of our deen.
:wasalam:

TruthSeeker17

islam is kinda of hard on women

the whole hijab thing........idk.....if a women wore a business suit id admire her intelligence, personality, etc.....i know a girl who wears the hijab and she looks even more beautiful with it....

harryirawan

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh,
none of your good doing written as an amalan shalihan except you do it for your God, Allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala. In your case, the wife practising the syariat of Islam for her love to her husband not for pleasing Allah. Islam is sincerity that you do everything only to please Allah.

Alhamdulillah, jazaakumullahu khoiroh..

BroNfaith

Peace!
the whole hijab thing........idk.....if a women wore a business suit id admire her intelligence, personality, etc.....i know a girl who wears the hijab and she looks even more beautiful with it....
We respect women's intelligence and personality without looking at their clothes, my friend :) We do that for the fact that they are human beings with soul and emotions, and who deserve it regardless of their outfit and make up.

BroNfaith

Peace!
Some texts to clear things up:

Narrated Mu'awiyah al-Qushayri: I went to the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) and asked him: "What do you say (command) about our wives?" He replied: "Give them food what you have for yourself, and clothe them by which you clothe yourself, and do not beat them, and do not revile them." (Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 11, Number 2139)

"The best of you is one who is best towards his family and I am best towards the family". (At-Tirmithy).

"None but a noble man treats women in an honourable manner. And none but an ignoble treats women disgracefully". (At-Tirmithy).

In TTI, there are other articles regarding women rights in Islam. Feel free to search. If you have any question, you're very welcome to ask :)

island muslim

In Islam intention is foremost, and thus becoming a muslim without beleif just top please people is not acceptable and such people are considered hypocrites.

Hello TruthSeeker,

Let's dive a little deeper.

What's a business suit? Jacket and skirt? How short or long should the skirt be to make it acceptable by her standards and your standards? To eliminate this discrepancy we Muslims believe full coverage.

How can you honor intelligence if you are selecting for her to wear business suits? Where is the honor in this if you are concerned with her intelligence? This is an oppression. Who gave you the authority to come with this standard? How did you come with this? What about 200,000 years ago - did they have business suits? Our standards come from Allah, not human beings.

BTW, there are standards for Muslim men as well.

Islam again is about shame and modesty is one of it's rooted branches.