Cordoba

Shahzad

Qurtuba is situated at the foot of the ridge of mountains called the Sierra Morena, forming a semicircular amphitheater on the right bank of Guadalquiver. During the Ummayyad rule of Spain, there were 3,800 mosques, 60,000 palaces, and mansions, 200,000 houses inhabited by common people, 700 baths, 80,000 shops, and 70 libraries in Qurtuba.

REAd more here at http://www.albalagh.net/kids/history/qurtuba.shtml

A Kashmiri

When muslims become ignorant and loose their grip on Allahs rope, muslim rulers become selfish , lazy, cruel, deceptive, and forget the Law of Allah, then Allah send his punishment and shame to the muslims by the hands of non Believers as he loves us as muslims and wants us to be on the right path.

Alhamdullilah we are muslims....

Amir_of_spain

masjid al cordobra, al hambra palace and gardens are so beautiful and houses the most unique islamic art, calligraphy and geometry monuments. All of this 1000 years ago. The umayyad caliphate of damacus and al andalus was one of the best periods of muslim dominance ever recorded. Its a great history, i wish more muslims were familar, even in the middle east, the students hardly know about their own umayyad legacy.

shari

Brother
:salam2:

If we don't follow Islam we will be defeated in this world and afterlife and vice versa.

Shahzad

amir of spain, u are veryu right abt damascus and spain
u know wat ? when the the cusin of Abdur Rehman came to spain, (his name was Yahya), and Abdur Rehman asked him that " Does my city resembles Damascus now?". He answered, "can any be city resemble to Damascus, without Masjid Ummvi (Ummiyad Mosque)".

After this answer he immediately started The gr8 mosque of Cordoba and Ah!!!! I feel myself tremble as i write these lines. I wish we would have seen our Golden age.

There was a request sent to higher authorities of spain asking for permission to pray in gr8 Mosque of Cordoba which was rejected.

The life style of the ppl of spain is still being dominated by those which Arabs brought there in Spain.
The literacy rate was 100% nearly, when the whole Europe has only a few libraries.

There is So much to write. Where are u from Amir of Spain?

Amir_of_spain

asalam wailkium bro shahzard, im from the UK.

I have been studying islamic history/dynasties/art in my own private time, its kinda become a hobby now. The story you narrated regarding the cordobra masjid is great news to me. I always thought the great mosque of cordobra was designed/built to put muslim cordobra on the map, just in the same way the great mosque of damacus did to the city of damacus.
The umayyad caliphate was truely the supreme caliphate ever established in this duniya. At the time of khalifa Al-waleed, from damacus, the khalif ruled land stretching in all directions, from the borders of china in the east, to the southern tips of france in the west. Even after the Umayyad period was brought down in damascus, it was restored in all of its glory and splendour in cordobra, under the fugitive Umayyad prince, abd al rahman, its a great romantic, historical period.
Brother Shahzard where you from? Have you read about the rule of abd al rahman III of spain. Bro, ive seen 100s of pics of the most decorated mihrab pics of masjids across the islamic world, but none of them excels the beauty and magnificence of the mirab of the great mosque of cordobra. Even the miltant catholic christains didn't get rid of it after conquering spain, and putting a church within the mosque, why? Simply because no religious architecture has never matched the unique design features of this mihrab.

Those were the times of the Amirs of Islam.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
asalam wailkium bro shahzard, im from the UK.

I have been studying islamic history/dynasties/art in my own private time, its kinda become a hobby now. The story you narrated regarding the cordobra masjid is great news to me. I always thought the great mosque of cordobra was designed/built to put muslim cordobra on the map, just in the same way the great mosque of damacus did to the city of damacus.
The umayyad caliphate was truely the supreme caliphate ever established in this duniya. At the time of khalifa Al-waleed, from damacus, the khalif ruled land stretching in all directions, from the borders of china in the east, to the southern tips of france in the west. Even after the Umayyad period was brought down in damascus, it was restored in all of its glory and splendour in cordobra, under the fugitive Umayyad prince, abd al rahman, its a great romantic, historical period.
Brother Shahzard where you from? Have you read about the rule of abd al rahman III of spain. Bro, ive seen 100s of pics of the most decorated mihrab pics of masjids across the islamic world, but none of them excels the beauty and magnificence of the mirab of the great mosque of cordobra. Even the miltant catholic christains didn't get rid of it after conquering spain, and putting a church within the mosque, why? Simply because no religious architecture has never matched the unique design features of this mihrab.

Those were the times of the Amirs of Islam.

It is a really shame that Al Andalus had to fall in such a miserable state. Allah knows best, why it happened.
It's also a great shame that Muslims of today are not able to embrace science, education, art, and philosophy like the great Muslim civilizations of the past. In a sense alot of Muslim citizens are living in ignorance in poorer countries.

Here is a good documentary on Muslims in Spain, their rise and fall.
It's an excellent documentary I would recommend every one to see it!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wBsDDGCIFLQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mafyyjf3Pj4&feature=related

The rest of the links (3-11) can be found on youtube.
ENJOY!

May Allah bless with glory and guidance again.

Shu'Aib

Shahzad

Nice links indeed by brother Shuaib . I will download all of those. Yes Shuaib, the end was Very Very BAD. Abu Abdullah (BoAbdel in spain) did very bad by just handling the keys to Ferdinand.
His decendents have seen living in Fez, living on those given by people in charity.

Amir of spain: Im from pakistan. Since i have read abt spain and the glory muslims established there, i have become fond of going there.

You are absolutely right about Caliph "Waleeb bin Abdul Malik" . He was a beleiver in Jihad. He sent out armies in all directions. Mohammd Bin Qasim at Sindh, Qutebah Bin Muslim Bahli was there at Kashghar ( which u have mentioned) and Tariq Bin Ziyad with Musa Bin NAseer at Spain.

It has been said that they have reached till Leon, when they were called back. the reason for calling back was just personal jealousy by Suleman bin Abdul Malik, with Musa Bin NAseer. Had they been allowed to move forward, the map of europe must have been different.

I have read a small boook about Abdur Rehman 3. He was a MAN. During his times, radical christians continued spreading fuss and they had planned for spreading a big fuss with france attacking afterwards. The king of France, Loius was backing them up. Abdur Rehman 3 went on attack at France. When christians saw that, they immediately raise that mutiny which they did plan for some other time.

Now, Abdur Rehman stopped the attack. Sent a part of its army to clear that mutiny and with his remaining army, he kept patroling between france and that place where fuss was raised( i have forgot its name) in such a way that France couldnt attack.

He has also led spain to heights of glory in the fields of education and research. Libraries, literature,science and tech.,arts etc were well developed. Basically he was the one who continued the work of Abdur Rehman1 and gave the muslims, their glory. I have to read more about him.

Oh yeah, the Ummiyad Caliphate did bring a lot for muslims. Ummiyad mosque is the one where Jesus is going to land near Qiyamah. Now a days, that mosque has been so silent. Not much activities as it has used to be.

Mosque of Cordoba has excellent interior. It has approximately 1400+ slender pillars. Allama Iqbal (a.k.a the poet of East) has written a whole poem on it. Have you read that?

He was living an ignorant life untill he went to Mosque of Cordoba. He went in with special permissions. He closed the door and called "Azan". He kept crying there, after 2 nafil. That was the point where he turned towards ALLAH and boy o boy. Read his poetry. The way he has persued us to work for Muslims Renaissance, the way he has described our glorious past.

Christians have tried to tear its beauty away by making a church in between. They have also pulled out the Quraan written on roofs. They were so racist that they couldnt bear it. You know why Spain has still been preserved ? I have read that some where that when muslims see it, they feel pain in the their hearts. Thats we always feel, dont we?

Which books have you read so far?

Here is more stuff for you
http://www.al-bab.com/arab/history.htm