Covering up - Advice sisters?

Salaam everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody could help me in regard to covering up in the summer.

I live in England and since my endevours to revert to Islam in the past couple of months, I have been able to dress modestly and in darkish colours. As I feel is required.

However, I am due shortly to go on holiday with my family to quite a hot country and am concerened about the type of clothing I could wear. My family will be sitting out by the pool/beach and will expect me to join them and although i will still be dressing modestly still in long skirts and long sleeve tops, I wonder if it is ok for me to wear light colours.

I know that some people in my family do not agree with my covering up in such a way and I do not want to upset them, but I really want to do Right by Allah. I feel a bit lost on this issue at the moment, so please if anybody has any useful teachings or passages to strengten my resolve on this issue? or if any sisters have advice on this issue - particularly those who have reverted and how they coped with these types of changes- I would be more than grateful for their words.

aurelia

Salam sister,

I am not a scholar, but I do know that Rasulullah s.a.w (pbuh) himself does not like black color. Also, there is no verse in the Koran that says Muslim women cannot wear light colors. Cover yourself in an Islamic way (not tight or anything striking), and wear light colors like white, or light pink, light blue, etc. Rasulullah s.a.w (pbuh) always mentioned that being moderate is the best thing in whatever we do. Islam is NOT a complicated religion. If you still have doubts, you can go to the nearest mosque and ask the Imam or Ustadz in your area. You can also have your prayer (or Salah Tahajud), and ask God directly for a solution. Don't worry of what your family will think. Have faith in God, and HE will settle everything for you.

By the way, congratulation and welcome to Islam. May God bless you always, sister. ;)

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam,

am i right to say that you have not become Muslim yet? Sorry, just i thought you were not yet.

If thats the case, at the moment its more important for you to do the shahada and accept Islam, believe in Allah and the Prophet :saw: than be concerned with the correct clothing.

InshaAllah, this is something that you can work on after you become Muslim. Allah will give you more iman (faith), to help you.

I recommend you read the following:

Tips for Beginning to Wear Hijab

Again, i am sorry if i got it wrong about your belief status. Just its based on previous posts and your user profile.

wasalam.

Aaliyah

how can I help?

Salamo alikom this is my second time here please let me know how I can help
Thank you Shokran

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
aurelia said:
Salam sister,

I am not a scholar, but I do know that Rasulullah s.a.w (pbuh) himself does not like black color. Also, there is no verse in the Koran that says Muslim women cannot wear light colors. Cover yourself in an Islamic way (not tight or anything striking), and wear light colors like white, or light pink, light blue, etc. Rasulullah s.a.w (pbuh) always mentioned that being moderate is the best thing in whatever we do. Islam is NOT a complicated religion. If you still have doubts, you can go to the nearest mosque and ask the Imam or Ustadz in your area. You can also have your prayer (or Salah Tahajud), and ask God directly for a solution. Don't worry of what your family will think. Have faith in God, and HE will settle everything for you.

By the way, congratulation and welcome to Islam. May God bless you always, sister. ;)

According to Sahih hadith, The Prophet :saw: wives wore dark colours. This doesnt make light colours haram. I dont see where this recommendation for light colours comes from :)

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4090
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ãnha): When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

[/FONT]Here it means the colour was dark, like black for it to be like a "Crow".

So dark colours are liked, but not something that is necessary. And the hijab should not be patterned, as that goes against very nature of the Hijab.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam aliykum

I like black colour, and prefere wearing black so jazakallah khayr brother for clearing this up...

W/salaam

aurelia

Mabsoot said:
According to Sahih hadith, The Prophet :saw: wives wore dark colours. This doesnt make light colours haram. I dont see where this recommendation for light colours comes from
Agreed. But because it isn't haram, that I recommended it, since the poster is a newbie to Islam, and taking into account, her next situation-to-be. I do not want her to think, Islam is a non-tolerant religion. Thus, personally, I believe that being moderate is the best approach, especially to newbies. Perhaps we have a different approach, and I respect yours. ;)

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

:salam2: Insha'Allah we all are well.

just like our sister Aurelia said that Islam doesnt really speak on the colour code of a dress, i would also agree with Br Mabsoots comment.

Na'am the Ansari women dressed with such modesty Masha'Allah, there are some sisters who choose to completely dress in dark colours and those who go a bit bright.

ethier way one should not be judged on that e.g. shes unhappy cos shes in black or shes over the top cos she's in pink for example, every one is an individual and have their own comfort.

as long as the Hijaab is not so attractive, be it even in pink or blue, then Insha'Allah Alhamdulillah.

see, Muslim women are to be distinguished amongst the rest Alhamdulillah, that is not to say that we make ourselves stand out in the crowd, but Allah has ordained this for us in order not to be harrased :ma: we are different in the sense of being protected Insha'Allah. (There are other benefits to the Hijaab :ma: )
:hawla:

i personally wouldnt advice anyone to wear anything where they are frequently having heads turned at them, our Hijaab should Insha'Allah be in a simple most modest form Insha'Allah.

also, Subhan'Allah; scientifically, one should protect themselves from the sun, not expose themselves to it...lol either way, Alhamdulillah, the Hijaab makes sense for us muslim women, the best thing is to remember that we are doing this to please our Lord and we appreciate this Blessing that He Subhana hu wa'Ta'ala has blessed us muslim women with-All Praise is due to Allah.

just a quick note- some people mistake the Hijaab for the head peice only, in actual fact; the Hijaab is the WHOLE outer garment of a women top to bottom. In Arabic terms, the head piece on its own is known as a Khimar :ma: (just thought i'd put that across ;) )

may Allah reward all those who are keeping there Hijaab even in the hot wheather Ameen and give us the ability to purify our intentions Ameen ya Rabb!

i leave you all in the View of Ar-Raheem,

Ma'Salama
your sister in Islam.....

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam

Yes i agree wit sister alhamdulillah...as long as the Hijaab is not so attractive its ok to wear light colours.

Most sisters prefere to wear eartly colors...eg:- beige, white, browns, greens even black...lol

Allah knows best..

W/salaam

Mabsoot said:
wa alaykum salam,

am i right to say that you have not become Muslim yet? Sorry, just i thought you were not yet.

If thats the case, at the moment its more important for you to do the shahada and accept Islam, believe in Allah and the Prophet :saw: than be concerned with the correct clothing.

InshaAllah, this is something that you can work on after you become Muslim. Allah will give you more iman (faith), to help you.

I recommend you read the following:

Tips for Beginning to Wear Hijab

Again, i am sorry if i got it wrong about your belief status. Just its based on previous posts and your user profile.

wasalam.

I'm sorry for any confusion caused by my previous posts/profile perhaps it's because I haven't properly introduced myself yet as I haven't really known what to say. As I mentioned briefly in a post regarding another subject, I had always thought what I believed in was Christianity, but actually it was more Islamic. So i'm not really sure about the religious status at the moment. You are right in thinking that I haven't taken my Shahadah yet, and I guess this is the first step rather than worrying to much about what i'm wearing - I guess it's just because it's an issue which has come to my attention.

Thanks for all of your advice it has been really encouraging - I do feel that black is the best for me to wear in parts but I have realised that it is a personal choice. I hope your comments have helped other people in my situation too. Alhamdulillah

kaneetam

Assalamu Aleikum everybody,

I am a muslim Alhamdulillah, and this is my first post here. I'd say, wearing any colour is ok (dark/light), provided you keep away from the really bright colours, for example: red, and as long as your dresscode is within the limits of shariah, and your intention isn't to attract the opposite sex, where then the whole idea of being modest is gone. I agree with Mabsoot and aureliya here.

Wassalam.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:bismillah:

:salam2: sister Kaneetam,

Welcome to this forum!:)

May Allah(Swt) guide us all to the straight path and protect us from evil. (Ameen)

:wasalam: