Day of Arafat, Day of Ashura...

DanyalSAC

On the authority of Abu Hafsah (may Allah be pleased with him) it is related that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

“Fasting on the day of ‘Arafah absolves the sins for two years: the previous year and the coming year, and fasting on ‘Ashura, (the tenth day of Muharram) atones for the sins of previous years.”

And then,

The Prophet [saw] said, “Fasting the day of Ashura....I hope that Allah will accept it as an expiation for [the sins committed in] the previous year.” [Muslim]

Why do we have two fast days that do the same thing so close together?

hana*

On the authority of Abu Hafsah (may Allah be pleased with him) it is related that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

“Fasting on the day of ‘Arafah absolves the sins for two years: the previous year and the coming year, and fasting on ‘Ashura, (the tenth day of Muharram) atones for the sins of previous years.”

And then,

The Prophet [saw] said, “Fasting the day of Ashura....I hope that Allah will accept it as an expiation for [the sins committed in] the previous year.” [Muslim]

if i have understood you correctly, we fast the two days to differentiate ourselves from the judaic faith, as they also fast on the day of ashura, which is when the Children of Israel we free form Pharoah.

DanyalSAC

My question is why do we have two fast days that expiate all sins from the previous year only one month apart. If the day of Arafat expiated 2 previous years' sins, what sins are left for the day of Ashura to expiate?

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
My question is why do we have two fast days that expiate all sins from the previous year only one month apart. If the day of Arafat expiated 2 previous years' sins, what sins are left for the day of Ashura to expiate?

My dear friend,
Ulema told that in hadiths "Fastin on the day of Ashurah OR Arafah ABSOLVES THE SINS",means only MINOR SINS,
Plz don't take it as both MAJOR and MINOR SINS,and about your question I dont know the exact answer,hope some one else will provide u wid d answer.

DanyalSAC

My dear friend,
Ulema told that in hadiths "Fastin on the day of Ashurah OR Arafah ABSOLVES THE SINS",means only MINOR SINS,
Plz don't take it as both MAJOR and MINOR SINS,and about your question I dont know the exact answer,hope some one else will provide u wid d answer.

Yes I already know this, but thank you... when I said "all sins" I meant all sins mentioned in the ahadith I quoted above.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
salam 'alykum
Dear brother,
Since Allah is ArRahman(The Most Gracious) and Raheem(The Most Merciful),He is Al Ghafoor(Oft-Forgiving).So he forgives our sins in many ways and through directions we can percieve not.So IMHO whatever be the reason,we've got nothing to loose from fasting but only to gain insha'allah.
There is a saying in my part of the world which is like,"Relish the Mangoes and dont count the seeds." So...anyways that was my 1 rial.
Have a nice day.
Ma'salam :D

Hana Askar

:salam2:

My little sister asked the same question last night as she fasted the Day of Arafa?! i told her that fasting on this day isn't something you Have to do is optional also you never know if Allah has accepted your previous fast so just incase, fast today if you want and make it perfect insha'Allah.

I know my answer isn't convincing but oh well :D i hope other members insha'Allah know better than me :)

:SMILY139:

arzafar

And then,

so that if you missed the day of arafah you can still get your sins forgiven by fasting on ashur.
or were you looking for something else.

DanyalSAC

:salam2:

My little sister asked the same question last night as she fasted the Day of Arafa?! i told her that fasting on this day isn't something you Have to do is optional also you never know if Allah has accepted your previous fast so just incase, fast today if you want and make it perfect insha'Allah.

I know my answer isn't convincing but oh well :D i hope other members insha'Allah know better than me :)

:SMILY139:

so that if you missed the day of arafah you can still get your sins forgiven by fasting on ashur.
or were you looking for something else.

I was merely looking for an explanation, that's all. And those two comments right there make the mose sense to me - at least, they reflect what I thought as well...

JazakAllah Khairn.
d.