diabetes!

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
what is a diabetes and how can we prevent ourselves from this disease?
open for brothers and sisters!!

ShyHijabi

There are two types of diabetes, Type 1 and Type 2.

Type 1 diabetes used to be called juvenile diabetes or insulin dependent. There was no way to prevent this as the person had an inborn issue and thus had it from childhood. From the minute they are diagnosed they need insulin to keep them alive since they have no ability to make it themselves. These people literally have no insulin making cells left in their body.

Type 2 diabetes was previously known as adult onset diabetes but now with the ever increasing issue of childhood obesity it is just called Type 2. There are a few causes for Type 2. One form is the body makes insulin but the tissue is resistant to it and cannot use it properly. There are meds that help sensitize the tissue to insulin. There are also Type 2s that make insulin but not enough for the amount of mass they have (obesity). For these folks they could actually reverse the diabetes by loosing weight through exercise and life style change, namely eating healthy, low fat/sugar diets.

Type 2 diabetes is increasing dreadfully and it comes down to people eating junk food, not exercising, and obesity.

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
jazak allah khair sister, yes, you are right. by avoiding junk food, more sweets, fat etc. and by exercising we can avoid this disease. we should not eat tooooooooooooooo much. balanced diet should be taken daily. fruits and vegetables should be added in meals. and finally we should pray from Alla swt for health and prosperity of the muslim ummah. wasalam.

DanyalSAC

I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 in August 2007. At first it was maintained by diet and exercise, but in July 2009 my blood sugar skyrocketed. It was about 475 by July 9. At the end of July my hemoglobin average (the A1C) was 10 and I was put on insulin. My triglycerides (the bad cholesterol) was at 496.

Then suddenly Ramadan came...

By the end of Ramadan my hemoglobin average was a 6 and my cholesterol was 196. Can I get an Allahu Akbar!?

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
assalamo alikum!how many of us do exercise/walk??

:salam2:

Good topic brother , my grandmother had diabetes problem and my father got now high cholestrol but they dont exercise at all which i dont like , ALhumdulilah i exercise and i think it really helps.

We should all exercise cause this body is a gift of Allah (swt) my mom always tells me we should stay fit n healthy.

Alhumdulilah i dont have any disease that are found in my family, i feel bad for my bros though cuz they got it but i tink this diabetes is something we can skip Alhumdulilah :)

BinKhadija

An Akhu
I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 in August 2007. At first it was maintained by diet and exercise, but in July 2009 my blood sugar skyrocketed. It was about 475 by July 9. At the end of July my hemoglobin average (the A1C) was 10 and I was put on insulin. My triglycerides (the bad cholesterol) was at 496.

Then suddenly Ramadan came...

By the end of Ramadan my hemoglobin average was a 6 and my cholesterol was 196. Can I get an Allahu Akbar!?

Cos of going through Ramadan successfully?! Allah'u Akbar! You indeed made most of the blessed month, brother. Alhamdulillah. May God Always bless you.

I think what one do maximum is just be careful with their diet. If someone has insulin dependent diabetes, they are going to live with it - no cures for that and it's genetic. And may Allah make it easier for them.

Moderation is the way to be safe! May Allah bless the Prophet :saw: for teaching us about everything.

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
yes, Moderation is the way to be safe! May Allah bless the Prophet for teaching us about everything.
ameen.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I am fighting with my diabetes. It has changed my lifestyle. Alhumdulila, I do exercise and am healthy. However, I have great difficulty fasting. I pass out. I have to do one day on and one day off.
I have substituted cinnamon for sugar in my coffee. I have found a teaspoon of local honey gives me the energy I need.
The fatigue is very depressing and I need to rest, often.
The key is moderation. It is serious as it does impact your entire body. It is important to note that stress is a killer. As a diabetic I can not afford to be stressed at any time.
Please note that diabetes does effect your eyes. I monitor my sugar levels at all times; eye strain is not nice.
I wish everyone well.

Muslim-life

Always Alhamdulilah
assalamo alikum!how many of us do exercise/walk??

I do alhadulilah I run 4 days at a week :D:D

It's really good, not to become thin, cos I don't think I'm fat- but especially

when u study a lot it's really good and refreshing for the mind :D

alhamdulilah...

My mother has diabetes unfortunately, and it's so difficult for her not to eat

fx. rice.. especially because our food is so delicious!!

:wasalam:

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I am fighting with my diabetes. It has changed my lifestyle. Alhumdulila, I do exercise and am healthy. However, I have great difficulty fasting. I pass out. I have to do one day on and one day off.
I have substituted cinnamon for sugar in my coffee. I have found a teaspoon of local honey gives me the energy I need.
The fatigue is very depressing and I need to rest, often.
The key is moderation. It is serious as it does impact your entire body. It is important to note that stress is a killer. As a diabetic I can not afford to be stressed at any time.
Please note that diabetes does effect your eyes. I monitor my sugar levels at all times; eye strain is not nice.
I wish everyone well.

Asalaam aleakum dear sister,

If you are diabetic and fasting causes exacerbation of your condition then you are exempt from fasting. I have read many, many fatwas regarding this and if you want me to post them I will be happy to. You can donate services or funds to your mosque instead and it will equal the ajar. Also, remember that things such as rice and potatoes are just as bad as eating spoonfuls of sugar because they are simple carbs...which quickly break down into sugars. (my MIL has a problem with eating too much rice and is also Type 2 diabetic)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sweet sister I know I am exempt. I just recognize the blessing of being able to fast. I am a carb factory. I have a very high metabolism and used to be able to eat like a teenager. Peanut butter crackers are not the same as an apple pie heaped with ice cream. I love to bake and let me tell you it is hard to cook and not eat the brownies, the cakes, the cookies all made from scratch.