Did Reading Quran have/had any impact on you ?

Asalamu Aleikum,

I always had this question which I wanted to ask fellow muslim brother and sister. When u were reading the Quran , did it have any impact on ur life ?
What did u feel ?
Before reading the Quran , I was an Atheist or Neo-Darwinist however u want to call it. My family aint religious either. I was living this typical lifestyle of the western world. Party, Drinking and Drugs pretty much sums it up. Unimportant things like music, movies , fashion, money were very important to me.
I think I started to become an alcoholik. Because whenever I couldnt sleep(poor excuse) I would start to drink. Also used to smoke hash/cannabis.
Then I think last year, around August I bought a Quran(german interpretation).

I bought it not because of interest in Religion or Islam but because I heard that it was a great literature.
I tried to read it right away and I couldnt get into it. So I threw it away and forget about it. My lifestyle eventually caused me to drop out of college.
SO now its december 2006. I wanted to read a book and found the Quran again. It botthered me that I didnt understand it the first time. So I start to read it again, but this time I was more focused. I read and read and read.
I couldnt just close it and put it away. It was so interesting to me.
After two weeks: I think I read like half of the Quran, I started to call my self muslim. Not only that, I also quit smoking drugs and drinking alcohol.But it wasnt hard for me to quit. I also stopped listening to music and stopped beeing so money hungry. So basically I changed alot due the reading. I also didnt quit because in the Quran it says not to do this and that, no It was because something happend to me, in my mind. Hard to explain.
So since December (almost one year) Ive been clean elhamdullah.
And it wasnt really hard for me. AFTER READING THE QURAN :salah:
Its really weird to explain what happend. It was like I became a Free Human.
The Quran really changed me and the way I think.

LONG READ I KNOW, BUT POST UR STORY UP IF U HAVE ONE

WASALAM

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

Did you mean the first time we read it?

Well the first time I read the Qur'aan, it didn't have much impact on me as I was at a young age and I was just reading it because my parents tells me to do so :D

Alhamdulillaah today, reading it makes me feel light and as if something heavy on my back is unloaded.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
:salam2:

A very inspirational story. My story? well its not really a story as yours and its kinda like sis hurul-ein, but as a child, learning Qur'an wasnt the most pleasant experiance...i say this because i was in a constant state of terror during my Qur'an classes, i think i first began to read the proper Arabic text age 6, absolutely no understanding and...very poor pronunciation! 'mistakes' werent allowed in Qur'an class and the teacher had a stick (it hurt ALOT :SMILY335:) and ok i didnt always obey orders...but children are children at the end of the day, and they do things wrong either intentionally or unintentionally. I didnt understand what i was reading, all i basically knew was i had to esteem and respect this book, so i did as my parents asked me to i.e memorise surah Yasin and Surah Mulk and surah Duha to Surah Nas. I did that but didnt understand anything of what i was memorising.

I think, finding a recitor i really liked to listen to was my way forward with the Qur'an, the beauty of the words in arabic encouraged me to pick up my english translation more and more.

hmm Sheikh Abu Bakr Ashatri .....:)

[yt]y2OloXqRuXI[/yt]

i still havent read it all jz the few page... i dont know i get a weird feelin not to read thick books...like an incoming headache

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

the first time i read qura'an was when i was a bit older (around 17 or 18)..i am a born muslim..but had not read the qura'an from cover to cover..
and had memorized the short suras that everyone memorizes
i pretty much had the basics down..nothing else
and that is because my parents have the misunderstanding that as long as you believe *la ilaha illa allah..mohammad rasoolo allah*..you're good
you're a muslim by heart..and you don't need to do anything else
so i pretty much grew up on that

but almost out of nowhere i developed the urge to read the qura'an in arabic
and i don't know why..but i never did it traditionally..as in i never started it like you'd normally start a book

i would just open it up randomly and read..
and subhanallah..no matter how often or how much i tried to mess around with the randomness of where i would start reading (i would have the book closed and then open it and start reading)..i even began to close my eyes and open the book at random areas..

i would get one specific sura almost 98% of the time

and that would be surat al-noor..and more specifically the verses about guarding ourselves from temptation..and keeping modesty (or hijab) for women

and if it wasn't that..it was suras..and specifically..verses about repentence and/or fear of Allah..the day of judgement..and the rewards of the mu'mins

that intrigued me of course..and had a major emotional impact on me..
so i started to read some stuff here and there to "clarify" certain things..and then it started getting more and more and more and more intriguing

until i realized the ignorance and darkness that i was living in..and how islam is not just in the heart..it is in the actions also..

and alhamduliallah...after all that..i earned some knowledge in deen which i am still eagerly working on..and i wore hijab (started this ramadhan)

so that's my story :hijabi:

:wasalam:

shahidah123

ASSALAMMUALAIKUM,

MasyaAllah, good question. First and foremost i must thank Allah s.w.t. Alhamdulilah, for He moved my heart to read the Quran in Arabic & it's translation some months back. I was always watching Idol on youtube when out of the blue, Alhamdulilah, i typed muslim, Islam and from here i listen to the recitations of the different surahs and it's translation. That was the beginning for me to start reading the Al Quran. It DID change me. Now i wear the hijab, sometimes i sit down and feel deep regret for my actions. I always say astarghfirullah when i am angry. I tries to memorize more longer surahs, InsyaAllah. I wear more jubah (long loose clothings) Alhamdulillah. And i constantly remind myself to pray on time, InsyaAllah. One day after i listen to the Quran recitation, surah Qaf i think and Ar Rahman, i was shaking. I couldn't sleep at night. I couldn't stop thinking if i have prepared myself to face Allah swt in the hereafter, and if that would be my last night before the angel of death come to me. Then i realized i must change and that made me cried. After all these years of ignorance, i prayed Tahajjud Alhamdulillah. May Allah s.w.t. guide me continuously until my last breath, InsyaAllah. :hijabi:

A

abdul ghaleeb

nice story
may Allaah(swT) lead us way from crookedness and put all of us on a straighter path.
i agree reading the qur'an does change you
it peirces your heart .....
elhemdulilaah

A

abdul ghaleeb

may i add Allaah(swt) is the best to show mercy and compassion to those who are lost in darkness

i can relate from my problems

A

abdul ghaleeb

Wow whatta term! That's weird, our youngest brother Abdurrahman has a hole in his heart and we're reading the Qur'aan and praying to Allaah swt to close that tiny hole :D

are you making fun of me sis.
i meant it peirces your heart by bringing light and comfort into it.
may it peirce our hearts and poke out that shaytans eyeses out
amin

BintMuhammad

Staff member
are you making fun of me sis.
i meant it peirces your heart by bringing light and comfort into it.
may it peirce our hearts and poke out that shaytans eyeses out
amin

LoL I'm sorry brother I'm not making fun of you. I apologize if you took it that way. I'm actually serious with my brother's condition also :) Please pray for him.

A

abdul ghaleeb

LoL I'm sorry brother I'm not making fun of you. I apologize if you took it that way. I'm actually serious with my brother's condition also :) Please pray for him.

what?:confused: peircing the heart is supposed to mean a good thing???at leats thats how i take it??? i:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

lol