Did the American people hear about Israeli War Crimes in Gaza?

BigAk

:salam2:

NOT... They have no clue. However, my good American friend who happened to be a free thinker and knowledge seeker has surprised me a few days ago. After reading on BBC about the latest Israeli soldiers breaking the silence about Gaza, he went searching for any American coverage to such pertinent news. To his shock, he could not find one single news media covering such event. So, he took it a step further and wrote the following to the ombudsman of Washington Post:

To [email protected]
Subject: Coverage of Gaza

Dear Mr. Alexander,
I'm a regular online reader of the Post, because I generally find it trustworthy and even-handed. However, I've been extremely disappointed in the pro-Israel bias of your reporting, most recently coverage of the Israeli invasion into Gaza this year. The accusations of war crimes, civilian deaths, and the condemnation of the invasion by humanitarian organizations like the Red Cross and Amnesty International should've been front-page news, and merited serious, detailed investigation and reporting. If it was, I missed it. Today, the Post didn't even feature this story, on Israeli soldiers speaking out about war crimes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8151336.stm

I believe that the American people are being short-changed by our news media, including the Post . If people were better informed about Israeli actions in the region, they might understand why the Arab street feels as they do. If so informed, Americans might untie the hands of our leaders. As it stands, we're a paper tiger, offering largely unconditional support for Israel that guarantees no real change or progress in the region. We can't even get them to stop expanding settlements.

I hope to see a more balanced approach in future.

Sincerely,

Raleigh, NC

A day later to my surprise, he received a response:

Tim,

Thanks for writing. I'll share your e-mail with The Post's foreign desk.

Best wishes,
Andy Alexander
Washington Post Ombudsman

Few points:

1) I was proud to see that an American is actually seeing the truth of what is happening in the world. The vast majority of Americans are clueless, and when they hear about some bombing happening somewhere as a result, suddenly think that the Arab Muslims are a bunch of savage people who only know "Hate." Americans cry out "They hate our freedom!!!"

2) My friend's response triggered a thought within me as to why is it that an American is opening his mouth to do something while most of us Muslims are silent? I wish someone would answer this.

3) What can we do here in the US on an individual level to wake up the people?

I can prob. think of more... But, it's a good starter for a discussion.

kiki18

you are right about this. i only recall watching one news report in univision (a spanish channel) and that is it. the rest that i know that is hapenning is because of my friends living in turkey.

salam

sssaba7

Salam brother...

i hope you are not gonna mad about the things im about to say...

i am, as israeli and Ex-soldier, i dont agree with all.

i know what soldiers are doing, i was part of this sistem.
there is a lot more that america know and dont wanna show, like good stuff.

like soldiers who passing lots of palestinians the border and after that go to jail beacuse they were kind.
there are many soldiers who give their cloths to palestinians to keep them warm.
and helping them go to school and hospital, but the Press never show it.

i know that soldiers are not angels, i have many friends and relatives, but there is a bad name on them and its not deserve to all.

remember that when u give such a weapon to 18 years old child,
he feels immortal.

rtbour

american muslima
Salam brother...

i hope you are not gonna mad about the things im about to say...

i am, as israeli and Ex-soldier, i dont agree with all.

i know what soldiers are doing, i was part of this sistem.
there is a lot more that america know and dont wanna show, like good stuff.

like soldiers who passing lots of palestinians the border and after that go to jail beacuse they were kind.
there are many soldiers who give their cloths to palestinians to keep them warm.

i know that soldiers are not angels, i have many friends and relatives, but there is a bad name on them and its not deserve to all.

remember that when u give such a weapon to 18 years old child,
he feels immortal.

You are probably right about what you're saying, to some extent. There are good and bad people everywhere- in every city, in every religious group, in every military, etc. However, I have seen too many pictures of dead children and Israeli army holding guns pointed at women and children to think that the majority of the Israeli army is good. Maybe the press is keeping some of this good news of Israeli soldiers out of the media, but they are also keeping ALL the bad news about the Israeli soldiers out of the media. All they talk about is how Israel did this and Palestine did that, but Palestine always ends up being the bad guy by the end of the report. The only time I can hear the truth is through online resources or when I am watching the news in a different country. I know someone personally who tried to go see his family in Gaza and he was held up at the border for 6 months and not allowed to go in by the Israeli army just because he was Palestinian. There is a bias. There is hatred against Palestinians by Israelis. There is also hatred from Palestinians towards Israelis (rightly so, in my opinion).
I have a hard time believing that I could get un-biased news from any country, though. It's hard to be neutral to this situation. Most people want to pick a side- even reporters and news agencies. It is really difficult to know what news to believe and what news to throw aside as garbage because when you are biased toward one side, obviously you want to show the good things of your side and the bad things of the other side. When I was in Jordan, I was watching CNN or Fox or something like that in Arabic with subtitles. They were talking about the conflict and showing wounded Palestinians and it was OBVIOUS that they were taking sides with Palestine. I changed to watch the SAME channel in English, and they were talking about the same issue but were obviously on the side of the Israelis. Same channel, different languages, different sides to the story.

sssaba7

you are absolutly right!
each person takes the side he feel comfortable with.

and dont get me wrong, i feel SO bad for all the people in gaza.
the simple people not fault in anything.
our goverment (israel) and Hammas goverment - they both worse!
i hate this two goverments, beacuse the two nations are suffering.

and only people who live here can feel what i feel,
and only people who are palestinians from the west bank or gaza can understand it.

you know , one of the reasons i had hard time in the army beacuse suddnly arabs lookd at me in not nice way.
and it was hurting me, beacuse im on their side. i feel one of them,
but beacuse i was wearing the uniform they didnt knew my personality -
they saw me as a soldier. enemy.

im happy i left army :)

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam

All the world doen't know about the real crimes in Gazah
My brothers and my sisters are suffering there and the world is in sielnce :(

Sorry my dear ,I don't want to hurt you but I really cannot imagine that , sometimes I think that those soliedres dont have hearts !! I am really sorry for this but this is what I thought of .
in the last war , I saw a child , his mother was killed in front of his eyes :(and many babies were killed without any mercy :(

May Allah help our brothers and sisters in all the world .

sssaba7

fatima !

im sorry my sister, i dont if i should be hurt beacuse im israeli, or realesed soldier.
(and i will explain)

im ripped apart to 2 pieces, one that goes with all muslim brothers, and one that goes with my soldiers brothers.
i never was in gaza, my base even dont was dengerous.
my job was in a stock, as a clerk.

and to say that only them are suffering?
in the second lebanon war i felt it on my skin and bones when huge bombs fell around my house like balls.... i didnt went out from the shelter for allmost 2 months.
i went to get psychiatric treatment months (!) after that to live normal.

im sorry , i dont mean to attack.
but allmost all the time islam and israel subject dont get along and i feel ripped.

and honestly that people who dont live here, will never understand the feeling.

you are absolutly right!
each person takes the side he feel comfortable with.

and dont get me wrong, i feel SO bad for all the people in gaza.
the simple people not fault in anything.
our goverment (israel) and Hammas goverment - they both worse!
i hate this two goverments, beacuse the two nations are suffering.

and only people who live here can feel what i feel,
and only people who are palestinians from the west bank or gaza can understand it.

you know , one of the reasons i had hard time in the army beacuse suddnly arabs lookd at me in not nice way.
and it was hurting me, beacuse im on their side. i feel one of them,
but beacuse i was wearing the uniform they didnt knew my personality -
they saw me as a soldier. enemy.

im happy i left army :)

i have the easiest solution to all of this.....jz give the palestinians their land back..thats it...easy aint it...no more guns and kills then

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
fatima !

im sorry my sister, i dont if i should be hurt beacuse im israeli, or realesed soldier.
(and i will explain)

im ripped apart to 2 pieces, one that goes with all muslim brothers, and one that goes with my soldiers brothers.
i never was in gaza, my base even dont was dengerous.
my job was in a stock, as a clerk.

and to say that only them are suffering?
in the second lebanon war i felt it on my skin and bones when huge bombs fell around my house like balls.... i didnt went out from the shelter for allmost 2 months.
i went to get psychiatric treatment months (!) after that to live normal.

im sorry , i dont mean to attack.
but allmost all the time islam and israel subject dont get along and i feel ripped.

and honestly that people who dont live here, will never understand the feeling.
I dont see what u felt is considered as a suffering comparing with what heppened for my brothers in Palastine ..

u have weapons but they dont , u have money but they dont , u have hospitals to treat in but they dont !!

ur army destroyed everything , hopitals , schools and Masajid .. etc as well as they prevented medical supplies and they prevented medical assistanses to reach them in front of the world ..!!

did this thing happen to israel ??
dont the palastinian children and girls need psychiatric treatment too ??

sorry my dear for being sooo frank but dont think this is our opinion as Muslims , we respect all people and religions . Not only me who says that about israel also my other friends from all the world although they are not muslims but thay ( hate ) israel .

sorry again for being soo frank .. and the solution is very easy to end these crimes ..

Give them their land back ;)