Do we believe in ''Luck''?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Regarding some sounds when leaving as being bad luck

If some one calls you from the back or when you are going out suppose you got little hit, say, by a door. I heard, if you don;t sit for a second to pass a moment, which could bring you bad luck/accident, you would face the bad luck/accident. Are these true? Can you use the Quran and the hadiths about these?.

Praise be to Allaah.

What you have heard is not correct, rather that is a kind of tatayyur (superstitious belief in bird or other omens) or regarding seeing and hearing certain things as being bad luck. This is the way of the ignorant and the mushrikeen, who used to let such things keep them from doing what they wanted. Allaah criticized them for that and said (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, their evil omens are with Allaah but most of them know not”

[al-A’raaf 7:131]

“They (Messengers) said: Your evil omens be with you! (Do you call it evil omen) because you are admonished? Nay, but you are a people Musrifoon (transgressing all bounds by committing all kinds of great sins, and by disobeying Allaah)”

[Yaa-Seen 36:19]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade superstitious belief in omens and said that it is a kind of shirk (associating others with Allaah) that detracts from Tawheed, because superstition is something that the Shaytaan uses to create fear. It is mentioned in several ahaadeeth that it is forbidden, such as the following:

The hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no ‘adwaa [transmission of infectious disease without the permission of Allaah], no tiyarah [superstitious belief in bird omens].” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5757; Muslim, 102.

It was narrated by Abu Dawood (3910), and al-Tirmidhi (1614) who classed it as saheeh, from Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) in a marfoo’ report: “Tiyarah is shirk, tiyarah is shirk,” but there is no one among us (who does not feel such things) but Allaah takes it away by means of tawakkul (putting one's trust in Him).

The words “but there is no one among us (who does not feel such things) but Allaah takes it away by means of tawakkul (putting one's trust in Him)” are the words of Ibn Mas’ood, not of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

What this means that there is no one among us who does not some superstitious feelings in his heart, but Allaah takes them away from his heart by means of trust in Him and delegating one’s affairs to Him.

It was also narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no ‘adwaa [transmission of infectious disease without the permission of Allaah] and no tiyarah [superstitious belief in bird omens], but I like fa’l.” They said, “What is fa’l?” He said, “A good word.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5756; Muslim, 2220.

These ahaadeeth clearly indicate that tiyarah (superstition) is haraam and is a kind of shirk, because it means that the heart is attached to something other than Allaah. The people of the Jaahiliyyah believed that it could bring them some benefit or ward off some harm if they did whatever was dictated by their superstitions, and it was as if they were associating others with Allaah. So the Lawgiver cancelled that and demonstrated it to be false when He told them that it has no effect on bringing benefits or warding off harm.

Once this is established, if any such thing happens to you, then you have to fear Allaah and put your trust in Him, and seek His help and never pay any attention to it. You should handle the matter by doing what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined, as narrated by Abu Dawood (3919) with a saheeh isnaad from ‘Urwah ibn ‘Aamir (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: Mention of tiyarah was made in the presence of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he said: “The best of it is fa’l (optimism, belief in good omens) and it should not prevent a Muslim from going ahead (with his plans). If any one of you sees something that he dislikes, let him say. ‘Allaahumma laa ya’ti bi’l-hasanaat illa anta wa laa yadfa’ al-sayi’aat illa anta, wa laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa bika (O Allaah, no one brings good things but You and no one wards off bad things but You, and there is no power and no strength except with You).’”

Imam Ahmad narrated in his Musnad (2/220), and al-Albaani classed as saheeh in al-Saheehah (1065) the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas (may Allaah be pleased with him): “Whoever lets tiyarah (superstition) stop him from doing something is guilty of shirk.” They said, “What is the kafaarah (expiation) for that?” He said, “To say: Allaahumma la khayra illaa khayruka wa laa tayra illaa tayruka wa laa ilaaha ghayruka (O Allaah, there is no good except Your good, no birds except Yours, and there is no god beside You).”

It should also be noted that tiyarah will not harm the one who ignores it and goes ahead and does what he wants to do. But as for the one who does not sincerely put his trust in Allaah and who gives in to the Shaytaan and his waswaas (whispers), he will be punished by falling into the thing that he dislikes, because he has turned away from faith in Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Whatever of good reaches you, is from Allaah, but whatever of evil befalls you, is from yourself.”

[al-Nisa’ 4:79]

HIBBA2009

Daughter of Adam
Asalamalikum wahh rahmahtullah wah bahrakatu brother

All Muslims should believe in Luck /qadar actually luck means Fate/ Qadar. Believe in qadar is the necessary part of faith in islam It is so because ALLAh swt has created us and everything related to us is written in loh-e mehfooz. The Creator knows everything so our life is not a mystery for Him rather it is a mystery for us. The unknown of future makes us conscious and worried because we are not aware of what is coming to hit us in the future. This unknown is called our qadar or luck.

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 77, Number 613:

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Take refuge with Allah from the difficulties of severe calamities, from having an evil end and a bad fate and from the malicious joy of your enemies."

Another hadith says: Muslim Book 014, Number 4023:

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Do not take vows, for a vow has no effect against Fate; it is only from the miserly that something is extracted.

Walikumsalam wah rahmahtullah wah bahrakatu

Idris16

Jazâkillâh Khayr my sister. That fatwa is a little bit different. The fatwa is about ''luck'' in another situation. A brother told me I am lucky that I am going out for Umrah. So I replied, in Tawhîd we don't believe in luck. We belive in Qadr-Allâh. So he mentioned this hadîth I guess:-

Al-Bukhaari (5093) and Muslim (2252) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Bad omens are in a woman, a house and a horse.”

And I just read from IslamQA..

The correct view is that all types of belief in bad omens are condemned, and that no kinds of women, houses or animals can cause harm or bring benefit except by Allaah’s leave. Allaah is the Creator of both good and evil. A person may be tested with a wife who has a bad attitude, or a house in which there is a lot of problems, in which case it is prescribed for him to rid himself of these things, fleeing from the decree of Allaah to the decree of Allaah, and so as to avoid falling into pessimism and belief in bad omens which is forbidden.

To read more: Commentary on the hadeeth “Bad omens are to be found in a woman, a house and a horse”

Idris16

Asalamalikum wahh rahmahtullah wah bahrakatu brother

All Muslims should believe in Luck /qadar actually luck means Fate/ Qadar. Believe in qadar is the necessary part of faith in islam It is so because ALLAh swt has created us and everything related to us is written in loh-e mehfooz. The Creator knows everything so our life is not a mystery for Him rather it is a mystery for us. The unknown of future makes us conscious and worried because we are not aware of what is coming to hit us in the future. This unknown is called our qadar or luck.

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 77, Number 613:

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Take refuge with Allah from the difficulties of severe calamities, from having an evil end and a bad fate and from the malicious joy of your enemies."

Another hadith says: Muslim Book 014, Number 4023:

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Do not take vows, for a vow has no effect against Fate; it is only from the miserly that something is extracted.

Walikumsalam wah rahmahtullah wah bahrakatu
Salam alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh

Actually Qadr is from Allâh whereas ''Luck'' is the concept that something came from nowhere. It ''just happened'' while Muslims believe in Qadr-Allâh, that everything is from Allâh the good and bad.

Jazâkillâh Khayr, I believe you are mistaken, how can Qadr and luck be the same thing?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
You're correct, Brother Idris. We do not believe in the concept of "luck" as it is related to instances of sheer coincidence. Qadr is more along the lines of one's destiny or to be technical, "predestined destiny".

HIBBA2009

Daughter of Adam
Salam alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh

Actually Qadr is from Allâh whereas ''Luck'' is the concept that something came from nowhere. It ''just happened'' while Muslims believe in Qadr-Allâh, that everything is from Allâh the good and bad.

Jazâkillâh Khayr, I believe you are mistaken, how can Qadr and luck be the same thing?

walikumsalam wah rahmahtullah wah bahrakatu

JazakAllah khair brother for correcting me, actually i thought luck is a english word which means Qadar in Arabic Language but i was wrong .

Kakorot

:wasalam:

Sometimes accidently I say to people 'good luck' but I don't actually mean it because there's no such thing as luck. Also, sometimes accidently I say 'youre so lucky' instead of saying theyre fortunate but I read it's not a sin if you don't mean it.

arzafar

there is no such thing as luck - good or bad

good luck - when a highly improbable desired result occurs. eg. winning a lottery

bad luck - when a highly improbable (or even just an improbable) undesired result occurs. eg. all 4 tires burst during the final lap of a race you are leading comfortably.

Idris16

Question

As salaamu alaykum. My question is I hear muslims saying good luck and this person was lucky and things like this. And I have been trying to find the ruling on luck in Islam because it has always bothered me. I feel that saying that a person is lucky or something happened on luck takes away from Allah and the fact that all things come from Him. However without the proper dalil it's hard to prove that to people. Could you please help me in this? What is the ruling on "luck" in islam and what is the dalil for it? Jazak Allahu Khairun. Amina UmmuSayyid bint Jean

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.

No good or bad and no benefit or harm will happen to a person except with Allaah's Will and Predestination. Testifying and believing in this is one of the pillars of faith, and without it the faith will not be valid. Saying that a specific person is lucky or saying 'good luck' does not negate this belief. The luck is included in Allaah's Will and Decree. Indeed this term is mentioned in the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of the Prophet . Allaah Says (what means): {So he came out before his people in his adornment. Those who desired the worldly life said, ‘Oh, would that we had like what was given to Qarun. Indeed, he is one of great fortune.” }[Quran 28:79].

So there is no contradiction between luck and the belief in Allaah's Decree and Predestination. The person's luck or portion in something is predestined by Allaah. However, believing that a lucky person could achieve what Allaah did not prescribe for him, or that only his luck can bring him benefits and repel from him harms, then this is something rejected by texts [Quran and Sunnah] reason, and reality.
It is confirmed that the Prophet said: "O Allaah, none can prevent what You have willed to bestow and none can bestow what You have willed to prevent, and no wealth or majesty can benefit anyone, as from You is all wealth and majesty." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim].
Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=91036

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
at first I believed to the concept of "luck" as a step of one's life made of bad events,until one day something good it happens:I thought that it was the luck of somebody.but nowdays I may say that the "luck" itself,by myself,doesn't really exist,because if I'd say that "I'm a lucky woman",I'm wrong,indeed "I'm a blessed woman"because Allah led me to my "luck".I'm sorry for the game of word,I hope you understood what I meant

strive-may-i

Belief in Qadr - Pillar of Islam

As to belief in "Luck" as against to "Belief in Qadr". Nope

The word "Luck" is loosely used - There is this thing about frame of reference of how an outcome originates, And Hayat84 has put it rightly. there is "Word play"!!

There is Allahs Qadr (will), and there is the popular "Luck". Luck is from our point of view, we should remember that. An events outcome, out of all possibilities is human way of seeing it. But no outcome can happen on its own, It happens out of Allah subhaanawuta-alahs Qadr (frame of reference). So the event is not a random outcome, but its the destined outcome, which remained unknown to us.

Since there cant be an event, that is not from Almighty's will, we are to not believe in "a random outcome Luck" but Believe in "Allahs Qadr", the predestination. Every event from beginning of time, from the beginning of life on earth to the seeding of life in a being, is out of his Qadr , and the expiry is also out of Allah's Qadr. No outcome is without Allah's will, and nothing happens without Allah's command, nothing which happens is hidden from Almighty. IMO(In my Opinion). Includes even the random number that a computer generates....!

Hence its correct to accept the good event or the seemingly not so good event, as Allah's Qadr. The Pillars of Islamic Belief.

Hope this helps too!

P.S: The word play - that makes "luck" be seen as 'fortune/ misfortune' or as 'good omen/ bad omen' or as 'a chain of events that shape up ones life', need more deeper reflection, understanding, and utmost caution, so as to give one the correct understanding and prevent one from being misguided or doing something silly contradicting the belief. Prophet:saw: has said it best - "O Allaah, none can prevent what You have willed to bestow and none can bestow what You have willed to prevent, and no wealth or majesty can benefit anyone, as from You is all wealth and majesty." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]!

May Almighty give us the wisdom, to seek knowledge that we can benefit from .....Ameen!

Ahsen

I can't read the whole thread.I believe in fate(taqdeer).But i have a problem with my father.He is so pessimistic.Whenever i start a work he says that you will fail at it.You are useless to us and other words.It's like he wants me to fail.Why are some fathers like this?They should be optimistic for their children,not hopeless.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
I can't read the whole thread.I believe in fate(taqdeer).But i have a problem with my father.He is so pessimistic.Whenever i start a work he says that you will fail at it.You are useless to us and other words.It's like he wants me to fail.Why are some fathers like this?They should be optimistic for their children,not hopeless.

Maybe he feels like he is failure in his own life and so he doesn't want anyone else to succeed either because of it? I have known people like this.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe

Maybe he feels like he is failure in his own life and so he doesn't want anyone else to succeed either because of it? I have known people like this.

yes,there are people like this,envious and jalous for the success of some one else.they don't know that Allah is testing them.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
yes,there are people like this,envious and jalous for the success of some one else.they don't know that Allah is testing them.

Well, I was like that once upon a time in my own life, so I speak from experience. I was miserable, and I didn't want anyone else to be happy either.

Luckily those days are way behind me now.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe

Well, I was like that once upon a time in my own life, so I speak from experience. I was miserable, and I didn't want anyone else to be happy either.

Luckily those days are way behind me now.

same for me,but now everything's got better,alhamdulillah

Idris16

Question

As salaamu alaykum. My question is I hear muslims saying good luck and this person was lucky and things like this. And I have been trying to find the ruling on luck in Islam because it has always bothered me. I feel that saying that a person is lucky or something happened on luck takes away from Allah and the fact that all things come from Him. However without the proper dalil it's hard to prove that to people. Could you please help me in this? What is the ruling on "luck" in islam and what is the dalil for it? Jazak Allahu Khairun. Amina UmmuSayyid bint Jean

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.

No good or bad and no benefit or harm will happen to a person except with Allaah's Will and Predestination. Testifying and believing in this is one of the pillars of faith, and without it the faith will not be valid. Saying that a specific person is lucky or saying 'good luck' does not negate this belief. The luck is included in Allaah's Will and Decree. Indeed this term is mentioned in the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of the Prophet . Allaah Says (what means): {So he came out before his people in his adornment. Those who desired the worldly life said, ‘Oh, would that we had like what was given to Qarun. Indeed, he is one of great fortune.” }[Quran 28:79].

So there is no contradiction between luck and the belief in Allaah's Decree and Predestination. The person's luck or portion in something is predestined by Allaah. However, believing that a lucky person could achieve what Allaah did not prescribe for him, or that only his luck can bring him benefits and repel from him harms, then this is something rejected by texts [Quran and Sunnah] reason, and reality.
It is confirmed that the Prophet said: "O Allaah, none can prevent what You have willed to bestow and none can bestow what You have willed to prevent, and no wealth or majesty can benefit anyone, as from You is all wealth and majesty." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim].
Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=91036
Judging from this fatwa, saying good luck is ok as long as you have the correct intention.

Muhammed303

Imam Ahmad recorded in his Musnad that `Abdullah -- Ibn Mas`ud -- said, "The Messenger of Allah , the Truthful One, sal Allahu 'alaihi wa sallam, told us:

(The creation of anyone of you is gathered for forty days in his mother's stomach as a Nutfah, then he becomes a clot for a similar period of time, then he becomes a little lump of flesh for a similar length of time. Then the angel is sent to him and he breathes the soul into it, and four things are decreed: his provision, his life-span, his deeds, and whether he will be wretched or blessed. By the One besides Whom there is no other god, one of you may do the deeds of the people of Paradise until there is no more than a forearm's length between him and it, then the decree will overtake him and he will do the deeds of the people of Hell and thus enter Hell. And a man may do the deeds of the people of Hell until there is no more than a forearm's length between him and it, then the decree will overtake him and he will do finally the deeds of the people of Paradise and thus enter Paradise.)

Luck is a belief of the polytheist/unbelievers and is in direct contradiction with Tawhid. Everything is predetermined by Allah