do we have to belong..?

FreedomFighter

:salam2:

you know how there are may sects in Islam, im not talking about the mazhabs, since they arent a sect. im talking about for example sufi, or qadyani..and there are more. im saying, do we have to belong to these (not talking about sufi or qadyani)? or can we say that we are just sunni, we follow the prophet peace be upon him? and thats all? because i learnt that the hadith the prophet peace be upon him said, about the 1 of 73 sects going to heavens, and when he was asked who is this 1 will be? and he said those who follow me, Qur'an and Sunnah, and those who come after me, but he didnt mention any specific people.. so am saying in some sects, there are some extremes and some not extremes, and because a people belong to differemt sects. in some sects, or people belonging to different sects, we can find those that follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah, so thats what the prophet peace be upon him said, to follow his Qur'an and Sunnah. so do anyone have to belong anywhere? is it necessary, for a person who may not be going into the deeper parts of why Muslims are divided, to follow a sect? can someone not be anywhere and only follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah? i know you can ask me to read about this in this site, but i want to discuss it. so pls dont remove, i dont mean to cause confusion, because all know that following the Qur'an and the Sunnah is the correct.

AyeshaL

In my opinion...

Salaams,

In my opinion, you dont have to belong to anything except Islam! We take our shahadahs to become Muslims - we dont need another label. Take the middle path, stay balanced and focus on the Qur'an and Sunnah. Learn from different groups by all means but Allah gave each of us intelligence for a reason - use it and analyse all the information you have come to and arise at a conclusion. Always double check the references.

And Allah knows best.

Pharma_Sister

Just my opinion....

Mashallah once we take the shahada we are 'Muslims'. In my humble opinion, one should not concentrate on these secs as the Sahaba were not part of any sec, they Mashallah were just known as Muslims. Inshallah follow the Quran and Sunnah. I have to agree with Sister Ayesha above (apologies if I've just spelt your name wrong sister), just follow what it says in the Quran and Ahadith (check the authenticity of the hadith by referring back to the main scholars of Islam) and Pray to Allah SWT. Prayer and dua is our key to our Lord, Inshallah our prayers will be answered.

(Alhamdulillah I was listening to a lecture recently that said that Mashallah we ask for guidance at least 19 times in a day - this is by reciting Surah Fatiha in the 5 compulsory prayers: 4 in the morning, midday and afternoon, 3 in the evening and 4 at night. Inshallah believe in what you are reciting and leave the rest to Allah SWT).

Remember, Allah SWT Guides whom He pleases, Inshallah we will all be guided along the right path, Ameen.

FreedomFighter

jazakAllah khayran both you sisters. so this means, we dont have to belong anywhere, but most importantly we have follow the Qur'an and Sunnah. thats all, sunni Muslims. so if someone follows this, does the person automatically became a salafi? or do you not have to be a salafi or ash'ari or anything else, if you say that you are just a sunni, and thats all?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I noticed that names of a number of groups (and I say *groups* for a specific reason due to the deviated doctrines of all except for one which I will elaborate on later)..is being tossed out almost in a random fashion..so the question that *begs* an answer is..

Do the beliefs of these groups *fit* into the established standard of following the Qura'an & Sunnah (inclusive and most focused on the principle of *tawheed* of course)..in order for them to even be *considered* for an *adherance*?!

Aside from *Salafism* (which term and concept wise I will comment on at the end)..every group *named*..is a *deviated* group..and this is in no way a statement made according to the rules of TTI..the rules of any site..forum..scholar..lecture..or random book..or person I like!!!

This statement is made according to the *clear* standards and definition of the Aqeedah of Tawheed

If it's a must to voice a perspective on the "belonging" issue then..

With pure knowledge and thorough understanding of the sound Aqeedah of Tawheed..which is the influencing basis of the Manhaj of Ahlul-Sunnah waj-Jamaa'ah (aka "Sunnis")..belonging to this manhaj DOES count for *something*..and that *something* is quite literally *the akhirah*

P.S. The word *Salafi* comes from the Arabic word *Salaf* which means *predecessors*..so if we are to take *Salafi* and translate it *literally* it would mean: *predecessoree*..the word of course *doesn't exist* and sounds *silly enough* in *English*..imagine then how silly it sounds in *Arabic* in reference to *religious adherance*..mind you all..the *concept* behind this term is..*someone who follows the Qura'an and the Sunnah according to the understanding of as-salaf as-salih (the righteous predecessors)*..and these predecessors are..the first 3 to 4 generations of the companions of Rasulullah (saaws)..and of course the family of Rasulullah as well..judging this perspective from a *logical* scope..shouldn't that "following" be *implied*?!..if we are to follow Islam *correctly* wouldn't we want to follow *the most righteous* of Muslims *after* Rasulullah (saaws) who had been influenced and taught by him (saaws) *directly*?!..so then..why would we need a *term* to *outline* or *specify* this following if it's a *logical* must?!..in other words..the term *Salafi* is like the term *Muslim*..it defines an *implied* state..meaning..if you are a follower of Manhaj Ahlul-Sunnah waj-Jamaa'ah..then you're automatically someone who follows the understanding of "the predecessors" in relation to the Qura'an and the Sunnah of Rasulullah (saaws)..so saying "I am a Sunni Salafi" for example will just make *anyone* sound *redundant* and intellectually *inept*

I apologize if my words cause any offense..and if they contain any mistakes..then surely it is due to my humanness..for the only one who knows best is Almighty Allah!

:wasalam:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

we just have to follow Quran and sunnah. Allah forbid us to divide into sects.

so u dont think of joining any particular sect. things may confuse you as many groups are deviated.

follow Quran and sunnah - then u r sunni

follow shafi/hanafi school - then u r sunni hanafi or sunni shafi.

its simple brother.:)

FreedomFighter

jazakAllah khayran sister and brother. so i dont have to belong anywhere? i just say that im a sunni Muslim who follows the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

in other words..the term *Salafi* is like the term *Muslim*..it defines an *implied* state..meaning..if you are a follower of Manhaj Ahlul-Sunnah waj-Jamaa'ah..then you're automatically someone who follows the understanding of "the predecessors" in relation to the Qura'an and the Sunnah of Rasulullah (saaws).

sry sister if im quoting you like this, or taking texts out of context. so according to this, does it mean a sunni following the Qur'an and Sunnah automatically becomes a salafi? even if they arent named so. i do apologize, maybe im not getting correctly.

follow Quran and sunnah - then u r sunni

follow shafi/hanafi school - then u r sunni hanafi or sunni shafi.

jazakAllah khayran.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
so i dont have to belong anywhere? i just say that im a sunni Muslim who follows the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

BINGO!..you're dead on!..you maybe don't need to add "who follows the Qura'an and the Sunnah"..as saying "I am a Sunni"..will express the statement readily

sry sister if im quoting you like this, or taking texts out of context. so according to this, does it mean a sunni following the Qur'an and Sunnah automatically becomes a salafi? even if they arent named so. i do apologize, maybe im not getting correctly.

Don't worry about it sister..on the contrary..quoting a specific statement eliminates confusion for you and I :)..in regards to your question though..I will quote the statement I wrote prior to the one you quoted..

if we are to follow Islam *correctly* wouldn't we want to follow *the most righteous* of Muslims *after* Rasulullah (saaws) who had been influenced and taught by him (saaws) *directly*?!..so then..why would we need a *term* to *outline* or *specify* this following if it's a *logical* must?!

A person who wants to have a sound Aqeedah..a sound iman..and a sound practice in their deen must follow a specific guidline..the guidline is provided to us through 2 sources (i.e. The Qura'an & The Sunnah) but they require deeper understanding..this understanding comes to *us* from Rasulullah (saaws) and those who learned the deen from him (saaws).."Salafi".."Salafiyyah".."Salafism"..are all *coined terms*..they're like the terms *Wahhabi*..or *Orthodox Muslim*..

They've been shoved down our heads for a number of reasons (they start at confusing Muslims..proceed to making them ignorant..and go all the way to creating *enmity* between them)..*the concept* behind the word is *all we need* to claim and even when doing so I don't mean *verbally* but rather *in conviction*..because like I asked in the quote above *why would we need a term to specify or outline a logical must?*..if you and I claim to be Sunnis..then we don't need to claim to be "Salafis"..because a sincere and earnest *Sunni* will without a doubt take his/her Islam from Rasulullah (saaws)..his family..and his companions (radhiya Allaho 'anhom ajmae'een)..so a Sunni won't find it *necessary* to toss out the word *Salafi* to "differentiate him/herself" or to even *elevate* his/her level of understanding or adherance to Manhaj Ahlul-Sunnah..as what elevates both de facto is *knowledge* and not just *any* knowledge but the knowledge of *aqeedat at-Tawheed* and then everything that ensues this foremost *focus*

I hope this explains it better..sometimes my writing skills do betray me and I cannot relay my thought very clearly (having a time-crunch makes this even worst)..but please don't hesitate to ask me to make my points more clear should any be worded oddly or such :)

FreedomFighter

jazakAllah khayran sis for your time. so i hope this is the last question. does the whole of the above mean that if im a sunni, then im not necessary a salafi? but if im a salafi then im definitely sunni? im so sry if this is bothering you, or if im not understanding properly, and sry to take your time. or maybe im just confusing myself...

AyeshaL

jazakAllah khayran sis for your time. so i hope this is the last question. does the whole of the above mean that if im a sunni, then im not necessary a salafi? but if im a salafi then im definitely sunni? im so sry if this is bothering you, or if im not understanding properly, and sry to take your time. or maybe im just confusing myself...

Forgive me if I interpret this wrong but I will attempt to try and explain if I may...

If you are a Muslim - you are a Sunni unless you state otherwise and say you are a Shiite. If you are Sunni - you are Salafi unless you state otherwise.

If you claim to be a Salafi (which doesn't tend to happen - we just say 'we follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah - which is what being a Muslim is about!) then you are saying you are a Sunni and a Muslim as a direct result.

InshaALlah I've got this right!!! I dont mean to offend anyone. And Allah knows best.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu Allaicum dear sister

I think that we do not need to call ourselves with any names but only Muslims Alhamdulillah,like Allah subahn we teal has called us in Quran,neither we should belong to any sect because that means seperatin between Muslim Ummah.
It is only imporante that we folow Quran and Sunnah,and it is which is making us Muslims and folowrs of our beautiful deen Islaam.

May Allah bless you sister:tti_sister:

Irshaad.K

Just a friendly word of caution...when we say that we follow Qur'an and Sunnah it does not mean that we go directly to the Qur'an and Sunnah and derive rulings related to fiqh matters. This can only be done by a mujtahid. We therefore go to ulema for rulings.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Forgive me if I interpret this wrong but I will attempt to try and explain if I may...

If you are a Muslim - you are a Sunni unless you state otherwise and say you are a Shiite. If you are Sunni - you are Salafi unless you state otherwise.

If you claim to be a Salafi (which doesn't tend to happen - we just say 'we follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah - which is what being a Muslim is about!) then you are saying you are a Sunni and a Muslim as a direct result.

InshaALlah I've got this right!!! I dont mean to offend anyone. And Allah knows best.

Jazaki Allah Khair sister..mashallah sister AyshaL managed to sum my point up better than I did..mashallah! :)..baraka Allaho feeki sister..and I apologize if I caused you any confusion sister Freedomfighter..inshallah my point is more clear now (per sister AyshaL's sum up)

FreedomFighter

jazakAllah khayran. sister a_muslimah86, dont apologize, thanks for your time. thanks you all for your time. looool i didnt know i was a salafi.

Just a friendly word of caution...when we say that we follow Qur'an and Sunnah it does not mean that we go directly to the Qur'an and Sunnah and derive rulings related to fiqh matters. This can only be done by a mujtahid. We therefore go to ulema for rulings.

jazakAllah khayran brother.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
jazakAllah khayran. sister a_muslimah86, dont apologize, thanks for your time. thanks you all for your time. looool i didnt know i was a salafi.

Any help I may have provided for you sister certainly makes me very pleased!..and may Allah keep you amongst those who follow the righteous and the upright in the matters of your dunya and your deen!..Ameen! :)

FreedomFighter

jazakAllah khayran. Ameen, same to you. no realy i didnt know that! and i dont know. im follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah, without claiming to be anything. may Allah guide us.