do we need a community?

erdem3r

Hello brothers and sisters.
iwant to know your opinons about living islam during life. can we live islam alone or is is hard to live islam alone? finally do we need a community?

erdem3r

In fact i want to know if we need an imam or a leader? Or Quran, hadis and islamic books are enough for living an islamic life?

strive-may-i

:salam2:
Yes.

A human needs someone to show him how to talk, speak, eat , live... A group of men, needs one to lead. And humans are social, we long for one another... is it not?

Many aspects of deen, needs someone to guide us. Some aspects of Imaan is strengthened, by community. We need examples. The mind always has doubts. We need someone to correct our wrong understandings. We need some one to give us feedback, to tell us whether we understood what we read in Quran and Sunnah correctly. A single person can get lost in his own world, even when he has the books of Sunnah, Quran, the evil Shaytaan is always conspiring... We need some one to talk to, when we are low, to speak our hearts out..

Thats where the righteous ones help us. A righteous person is closer to Almighty. The righteous knows to correct our wrongs in a good way, and appreciate our good deeds, without praising us beyond limits, thereby encouraging us in our journey on the right path. The best in the righteous community is worthy of being an Imaam, a leader, by his actions powered by his knowledge.

sabina isa

:salam2:

Just a humble opinion of mine. One straw could easily be broken, whereas a bunch of them is harder to break. In any time faith will be tested, and in community would be easier than alone. But are times and situations, that community does not stand hard trials (remember case of Musa a.s and his brother Haroon a.s, whe all jewish community left them alone in front of brutal tyrant, they said ' Go, you and Your God alone!", and the case of believers with Dawood a.s with Goliath army). In this cases, hold to your iman even alone. Help is from Allah. But mostly and generally life is better with community than alone. If community has issues, each of us can make a difference, even with only hope for good. All is in our hearts, and contribution to community is duty to Allah. If you can't again, than hold to your own means. We Allahu alem.

We salam

serena77

yes.. i do believe a community is needed. community can mean several different things.. for me... I have no one local to me who is muslim... and its so wonderful to have people on these online communities to help me and guide me as I'm new to the Deen ... and it also allows me to pay it forward and help those that i can... it means so much to me...
Serena

inquizator

I really like the single straw statement, it's ever so true.
It has been literally years since anyone has called to see how I'm doing. The most I get is "Salam Alykum, how are you doing"? but no one really truly cares. It's just words. I'm usually the first to say Salam if not always. I've brought up at the Mosque that there's no Community whatsoever and all agree. Everyone is too busy. I've been alone for years and feel even more alone when I think that I'm supposed to belong to a community that's non existent. We at our Mosque, which is rather large, about 250 members, are like leaves blown by the wind which gather on Fridays to pray then disperse. Other than going for Allah it's a waste of gas I can ill afford, it's a 58 mile round trip and my tires are bald. one hadith says I don't need to go b/c it's a hardship to me. I have one brother who used to call but he;s bi-polar and can't remember the sentence he just said. I don't even want to talk with him b/c it's always all about him. Here, it's students who are transient and professionals I have nothing it seems in common with them. When I ask a question, I get "you will learn brother" and that's all. Leaves me totally empty inside.
I have told people that I love Islam but detest the practitioners. I feel like a total outcast b/c I'm not an Arab. I haven't made one good friend in 9 years and have tried. I no longer try.
I get along with women far better than men but they are prohibited to me. I think Islam in America is the loneliest religion on earth and a single straw does get bent far too often, almost to its breaking point.
My bi-polar brother had a crack addiction for almost a year and I helped him through it. My other brothers said "show me your friends and I'll show you who you are". In response I said "if I helped the blind, does that make me blind, or a leaper, does that also make me a leaper"? Some of them are the stupidest people I've ever met. I told the president that if there was an American Mosque that I would go there instead and he was amazed.
Yes, man needs others and being alone really suxs. Were I to die, no one would ever know or probably not even care...

serena77

brother.. i hate to say this.... but not all bipolar people are like that... your brother or your friend... i'm sorry you felt the need to point that out... some of us.. are nothing like that.. and a lot of people w/ bipolar disorder are the exact opposite you know?

i do know what you mean about the being alone part. difference is ... i'd have to go a bit farther than that for a masjid and there are no brothers or sisters in my area. I do feel the same way you do.. how many really mean it when they ask how are you ... they ask cause they feel its expected. One can hope that changes... in all of us... because i think the compassion to mean it when you ask how someone is... is so so very simple but really means a lot when done w/ sincerity.
Serena

inquizator

brother.. i hate to say this.... but not all bipolar people are like that... your brother or your friend... i'm sorry you felt the need to point that out... some of us.. are nothing like that.. and a lot of people w/ bipolar disorder are the exact opposite you know?

i do know what you mean about the being alone part. difference is ... i'd have to go a bit farther than that for a masjid and there are no brothers or sisters in my area. I do feel the same way you do.. how many really mean it when they ask how are you ... they ask cause they feel its expected. One can hope that changes... in all of us... because i think the compassion to mean it when you ask how someone is... is so so very simple but really means a lot when done w/ sincerity.
Serena

I KNOW not all bi-polar people are like that but he's the only one I know and he goes to this NAMI plaace to pick-up women. All that's there are other crazy people. And yes, it is expected to ask how is one doing but does anyone really care, I doubt it. I know that I do when I ask and I only have control over myself.
My bath is ready and my back is on fire. I shall return Insha Allah