does God exist?

la-ste

As atheist but student in sciences, I don't believe in God but I'd like to know from where comes your certainty of its existence. Especially, assuming that God exists, why should we thank him or even talk to him, perhaps is he not concentrated on human beings. I'm sincerely interested in the answers you can provide me and I am not trying to provocate faithful people.
Thank you for your answers.

Mumin01

the universe in in harmony therefore there must be some type of architect or designer

Explosions cannot create life or balance, the atom bomb ect. nothing but chaos and destruction ensues. If you drop a glass it shatters completely nothing beautiful comes out of it

see harunyahya.com for further reference

OsMaN_93

Here to help
even in science they believe that somthing was there ,before the bibg bang, just thought i would let you know.....

a_brother

Make dua for us all
good to have you with us and thank you for your question...

if not convinced... Please ask further questions.... PEACE

massi

hi
this question as yours ...you are welcome to ask anything you need just don't
hesitate :SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206:

People have evidence of the existence of God, and the wisdom behind His creation

Question:
A non muslim friend of mine asked how i will prove existence of god and why has he given us life,and with what purpose. my answer did not satisfy him ,plese tell me what i should tell him?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

My dear Muslim brother, your efforts to call people to Allaah and explain the reality of Allaah’s existence make us very happy. Finding out about Allaah is in tune with the sound fitrah (natural inclinations of man) and with sound reasoning. How many there are who, once the truth becomes clear to them, they hasten to submit to Allaah (enter Islam). If each one of us was to do his duty towards his religion, a great deal of good would be achieved. So we congratulate you, our brother, for undertaking the mission of the Prophets and Messengers, and we give you the glad tidings of the great reward which you are promised, as your Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If Allaah were to guide one man at your hands, that would be better for you than red camels.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/134; Muslim, 4/1872). “Red camels” are the best kind of camels.

Secondly:

With regard to proof of the existence of Allaah, it is obvious to anyone who ponders the matter, and there is no need for a lengthy discussion. When we ponder the matter, we find out that it is divided into three categories: instinctive evidence, tangible evidence and shar’i evidence. We will explain that to you further, in sha Allaah.

1 – Instinctive evidence:

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

The instinctive evidence that God exists is the strongest of all evidence for those who are not led astray by the devils. Hence Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So set you (O Muhammad) your face towards the religion (of pure Islamic Monotheism) Haneef (worship none but Allaah Alone). Allaah’s Fitrah (i.e. Allaah’s Islamic Monotheism) with which He has created mankind” [al-Room 30:30]

Man’s sound nature (fitrah) testifies to the existence of God and man cannot turn away from that unless the devils mislead him; whoever is misled by the devils may not recognize this evidence.”

(From Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah)

Every person feels inside himself that he has a Lord and Creator, and he feels that he is in need of Him; if some major calamity befalls him he turns his hands, eyes and heart towards the heavens, seeking help from his Lord.

2 – Tangible evidence:

This refers to the things that exist in this universe; we see around us things that exist, such as trees, rocks, mankind, the earth, the heavens, seas, rivers…

If it is asked: these things are so many – who created them and is taking care of them?

The answer is that if these things came into being by accident, spontaneously and with no cause, then there is no one who knows how they were created, and that is one possibility. But there is another possibility, which is that these things created themselves and are taking care of themselves. And there is a third possibility, which is that there is Someone Who created them. When we look at these three possibilities, we find that the first and the second are impossible. If we reject the first and the second, then the third must be the one which is correct, which is that these things have a Creator who created them, and that Creator is Allaah. This is what is stated in the Qur’aan, where Allaah says:

“Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators?

Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief” [al-Toor 52:35]

Moreover, when were these mighty things created? For all these years, who is it that has decreed that they should remain in this world and has granted them the means of abiding?

The answer is, it is Allaah who has given to each thing that which is suited to it and will guarantee its survival. Do you not see the beautiful green plants; when Allaah cuts off their water supply, can they live? No, rather they become dry stalks. If you ponder all things you will find that they are dependent upon Allaah. Were it not for Allaah, nothing would remain.

And Allaah has created everything to do that for which it is suited. So camels, for example, are for riding. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do they not see that We have created for them of what Our Hands have created, the cattle, so that they are their owners.

And We have subdued them unto them so that some of them they have for riding and some they eat” [Yaa-Seen 36:71-72]

Look at the camel and how Allaah has created it strong, with a strong back, so that it can be used for riding and it is able to endure harsh conditions which other animals cannot bear.

If you look at other creatures you will find that they are suited to the purposes for which they were created. Glory be to Allaah.

Examples of tangible evidence include the following:

When calamities befall people this points to the existence of the Creator, for example, when they call upon Allaah and Allaah responds to their prayer; this points to the existence of Allaah. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: “When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed for rain, he said, ‘Allaahumma aghithnaa, Allaahumma aghithnaa (O Allaah, send us rain, O Allaah, send us rain).’ Then a cloud came and it started to rain before he had even come down from the minbar. This points to the existence of the Creator.” (Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah).

3 – Shar’i evidence:

All divinely-revealed laws point to existence of Allaah. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

“All the divinely-revealed laws point to the existence of the Creator and to the perfect nature of His knowledge, wisdom and mercy, because these laws must have been prescribed by someone, and that Lawgiver is Allaah.” (From Sharh al-Safaareeniyyah).

With regard to your question: why did Allaah create us?

The answer is: so that we would worship Him, thank Him and remember Him, and do that which He has commanded us. You know that among mankind there are kaafirs and there are Muslims. This is because Allaah wants to test His slaves as to whether they will worship Him or worship others. That is after Allaah has showed the way to everyone. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Who has created death and life that He may test you which of you is best in deed” [al-Mulk 67:2]

“And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)” [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56]

We ask Allaah to enable us and you to do that which He loves and is pleased with, and to do more da’wah and work for the sake of His religion. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=26745&ln=eng

:SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206:

nizar83

selemu aleikum..inshallah the following links will be of a great benefit to all of us..

very informing and beautifull recitations called interview with the quran..where people ask questions of this nature.
i dont know how to post a thread with these videos..ive tried..but its not the easiest thing to do on this website..however here are the links im sure inshallaah will be of great great benefot to all of us..

wa selemu aleikum

muharram23

Staff member
As atheist but student in sciences, I don't believe in God but I'd like to know from where comes your certainty of its existence. Especially, assuming that God exists, why should we thank him or even talk to him, perhaps is he not concentrated on human beings. I'm sincerely interested in the answers you can provide me and I am not trying to provocate faithful people.

Thank you for your question and interrest in islam

I invite you to islaam (submition) to the only and true God (Allah). I invite you to Say "Ashadu an laa ilaaaha Illa llaaah wa ashadu anna muhammadun resulullah". Which means, "i Bare vitness that there is nothing worthy of worship except Allah alone and that muhammad is his messenger/prophet".

Then you asked about His existence. Well, we have a proof which is the Quran. The quran itself has over 6200 verses which in arabic are called "ayaah" meaning "Signs". So, all those 6200 signs itself are enough for someone who uses his/her brain to realize that there is something that has create us and everything what we see and not see.

2nd the quran itself has not been changed nor altered for the past 1400 years as it is said in the quran

"We have, without doubt, sent down the Message (The qur'aan); and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).''(15:9).

Let me mention to you a few Ayyah (signs) verses from the quran, what quran says about science. Now this has all been in the quran 1400 years ago but recently discowered in the last 30-40 yrs ago by non-muslim scientists. Alot of the non-muslim scientists after reading the quraan have embraced islaam. It was amazing to them that a prophet who could not read nor write, nor had the technological advances that we have today, and who lived 1400 years ago, could know everything that the scientist know today. i will give you some of the proofs from the quraan. And please do take ur time to go in the quraan and check that they are there.

Quranic Verses

The Big bang Theory And The Beginning Of Life

"Do the unbelievers not realize that the heavens and the earth used to be one solid mass that we exploded into existence? And from water we made all living things. Would they believe? The Qur'an 21:30"

Perfect Created Universe

"He created seven universes in layers. You do not see any imperfection in the creation by the Most Gracious. Keep looking; do you see any flaw? Look again and again; your eyes will come back stumped and conquered."
Qur'an 67:3-4.

The Expansion Of Universe

". And it is We who have built the universe with our power; and, verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it" Qura'an 51/47.
". And we made the earth habitable; a perfect design." Qura'an 51/48

Atom Concept And The Power Of God

"You do not get into any situation, nor do you recite any Qur'an, nor do you do anything, without us being witnesses thereof as you do it. Not even an atom's weight is out of your Lord's control, be it in the heavens or the earth. Nor is there anything smaller than an atom, or larger, that is no recorded in a profound record." Qur'an 10/61

Earth Crust Movement

"When you look at the mountains, you think that they are standing still. But they are moving, like the clouds. Such is the manufacture of GOD, Who perfected everything. He is fully Cognizant of everything you do. "Qur'an 27:88

Creation Of Human Being

"Read in the name of your Sustainer, Who has created man out of a germ-cell! Read, for your Sustainer is the most Bountiful One, Who has taught man the use of the pen, taught man what he did not know !Nay, verily, man becomes grossly overweening whenever he believes himself to be self-sufficient:for, behold, unto your Sustainer all must return..."Qur'an 96/1-8

Support For Planed Evolution

"Is it not a fact that there was a time when the human being was nothing to be mentioned? "Qur'an 76/1

".We created the human from a liquid mixture, from two parents, in order to test him. Thus, we made him a hearer and a seer." Qur'an 76/2

"And Allah created every living creature from water. Some of them walk on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some walk on four. Allah creates whatever He wills. Allah is Omnipotent". Qur'an 24:45

Gender Determination

He is the One who created the two kinds, male and female, Quran 53/45 from a tiny drop of semen. Quran 53/46

--
So, these are just a few of the beatiful verses of the quraan.
It is difficult not to believe in a creator after reading all these verses. I mean if a person looks at a pritty picture that is painted. The first he says "man it's so beatiful, then the second he says "the painter did a great job". So, if it is imposible for a simple thing like this picture to not have an artist/maker, then how can people say that this beatiful universe, this huge universe, galaxies, planets, could not have an artist/creator?.

Now, i will respond to your second question.

you said,

Especially, assuming that God exists, why should we thank him or even talk to him, perhaps is he not concentrated on human beings.

Since we muslim believe in the Creator, Allah, we know of His greatness and power. We know that everything that we have, is from Him. I mean, if someone does a good thing to you, dont you thank a normal human being? Sometimes if our car works fine or horse, we thank them too :). But imaging a creator who provides everything since you were created. Who gave you arms, legs, hearing, seeing, ability to understand, ability to live, ability to have family, place to live etc. So, all of these things are blessings from Allah that we need to thank Him for. 2nd is because Allah sva in many places in the Quraan tells us to thank Him and our prophet muhammad pbuh has given us many suplications which Allah loves.

Finally, note that islaam is based on proofs. In islaam we do not talk about our religion on do things in our religion without having authentic proofs from the quraan or the sunnah (tradiiton/teachings of prophet muhammad pbuh). All other religions are man made and do not have basis nor proof that make a sense to the human being. Therefore, alot of people become muslim every day. From priests, preachers, scientists, doctors, movie stars, and others.

Note that there are about 6 billion people on this planet. Over 5 billion people believe in some sort of God. However, only the small minority are the once calling themselves atheist. However, even they are not purily dissbeliving in Allah (God). For example, if you were on a boat in the middle of the ocean waves. Suddenly, a big ocean wave knocks you of the boat and u r stock in the dark,cold, deep ocean, full of sharks :). No one is around you to help you. Who do you turn to then? :) Im sure you would say "Oh God, help me".

So, if the minory (atheists) can be called normal and the majority abnormal, isnt this kind of obscure? Also, what is the proof of the atheists that God does not exist? As we have a proof, crystal clear proof of the existence of Allah , what is your proof that Allah (God)doesnt exist.

Anyways, thank you for your interrest in islaam, and hopefully you will stay more with us and learn more. :)

Allah knows best

wasalam

BrotherZak

Salam Brother i hope i shed some light on this topic.

I myself have a hard time contending that the assembly line, with its moving part and complicated complimentary pieces does not have a manufacture or an architect or some builder. Just look at the discipline of science and all its myriads of fields and inter fields and sub fields and sub sub fields. It has gotten to the point where you can't simply study a single discipline of science anymore because the degree of comprehensiveness will take lifetimes to study. For instance a doctorate degree in biology is in reality a degree in a sub sub field in biology. It dazzles my mind that people can't see the design and yet forget the designer.

When a chair is moved, logic dictates that i ask who moved it. Regardless if i don't necessary see the builder it does not make an ounce of difference, similarly when someone knocks at the door, i assume that a person is there without having to look through the glassh0le. You do not need a purely empirical argument for God because God is beyond our perception but his signs are literary scattered around the world.

To see the signs and the magnificent design around the universe and to deny its cause is absurd in nature.

For example i once asked an Atheist this question and got him really thinking.

Have you seen the flowers on the roundabout near such and such a road? Did someone arrange them?

According to him his only answer he could have given me was (1) No one, or (2) He doesn't know

Both are totally irrational.

I then forced my atheist friend to admit that he must claim that the over head projector, the laptop and the chairs in the hall were arranged there by (1) No one, or (2) He doesn't know. Although, it is obvious someone did arrange them!

Hope that helps :)

gulraez

HI BROTHER YOUR question is intresting in the way you dont belive in
gods that is lailaha illalah THERE IS NO god illalallah BUT ALLAH WHAT ISLAM SAYS which is truth as you are alive. NOW i am mentioning some questions think alone and reply

1 YOU have loved any one if he/she is alive use all of your scientifical efforts are any effort that you can to just postpone his death time for one seconc or one nanosecond or the time you wish that he or she should be with you if not then think sincearly

2 second thing you reply me think sincearly and observe deeply that any of your desire or wish that it seems to get fullfil by all of yours calculation will not be fullfied or i say that suddenly it will getescape why? first it was seems to be in your hand.

3 Third thing you sayof feel that This is my idea before doing work after work ,so i ask you if it is or it was your idea then why it not came i your mind before on the required time when you needed desparetly for your success or if you are in succes also why it not came in the time which may take you to higer degree of your succes

sencearly think on this questions then there is no need of any claculative or any other proofs to convince if the question of GOD is in you then the answer is also in you in your sole in your concious if you think sincerely reply if futher needed
salam

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Hello Miss la-ste and welcome to TTI!

No one will be able to put his/her finger on something and tell you THAT is God and no one can explain to you how he looks.

If that was possible, this subject would be no more a matter of belief, but a matter of observable fact.

As a muslim I believe in the existence AND oneness of God just as it is describe in our holy book (Quran) that:

"Who believe in the Unseen.." 2:3

As regarding your question "from where comes your certainty of its existence?"

It goes like this:
Something either exists or it doesn't. There can't be a middle way.

First, I assume that God doesn't exist. Now, I need to find ways to answer many questions that arise about my own existence and the existence of everything around me.

In order to make things simpler for myself, I would first start from checking weither I have enough tools to detect the existence and nature of everything that possibly exist and if the answer is yes, then I would want to measure how accurate my tools are.

In the next step, I would want to make sure what I am looking for.

Lets then check my tools first which I use in my day to day life.
I have sense of touch, taste, smell, hearing, vision and thinking.

Now, lets see how reliable each of them is.
If go to "The Body Shop" I start to feel pleasant fragrances so I know I am not wrong and I am sure that what I sensed was correct. I can trust my nose on this because I have tested it many times before.

It was not sensing the same pleasant odours when I was in the washroom, so this must be something beautiful and certainly not something cheap.

My taste buds will detect how delicious/non-delicious certain food is and weither it is sweet, sour, bitter or sweet.

My eyes will detect the 5 colors and its different combinations, light and its absence (dark), near and far, big and small, ugly and beautiful, thin and think etc.
My ears will hear different sounds and voices, some pleasant and some otherwise, some with high pitch and others with low pitch etc.

My sense of touch will feel the rigidity and softness of something and weither it is wet or dry, hot or cold, pricky or smooth etc.

Now I want to sense something more important than all the others; happiness!

I need help describing it eventhough I have sensed it many times. How am I going to define or describe it in terms of the above 5 senses?

You would agree that those 5 senses above are inadequate and incapable of describing happiness, something that is WITHIN US one time or another.

It may be a combination of the output of all the above senses combined with a pleasant memoryy of the past or it will be something that I have convinced myself that THIS IS HAPPINESS AND IT MAKES ME HAPPY.

You may come acroos me and you won't even know I AM HAPPY. I may be the happiest person of the world that day. If I tell you that I have never been so happy, you may ask me why and I can only tell you the reason behind it, but not how happy I am and how it feels TO ME.

Now lets move on to a less conceived fact and that is SOUL.

You know and I know it exists, but what is it? Energy? If it is energy then what form of energy?
If not, what else can it be?

We know when it is there and when itsn't. The same body with all its nutrients, water and air can not be called a living being once the soul leaves the body. Yet we can't define what is it and what are its attributes.

Bearing in mind that it is something that we live with it all our lives, yet we can't explain it.

Here comes the need for using the last tool that we have and it is "thinking/mind".

Back to your question: "from where comes your certainty of its existence?"

Now I can answer you: From using our mind.

If you do the same, you will be in the same position as I am and my brothers and sisters are. What we can't do is to put our brain in your head or think for you.

If you use it in a RATIONAL WAY, then you will reach the same conclusion as we have.
But if you can't be asked and too lazy to use it and choose the easy way of just accepting that "It was all just a big happy coincedence" then there is very little we can do for you.

As I have not seen you interact ever since you asked your question, I will pause here till I receive further feedback from you.

Peace

Almeftah

In plain simple words,I say:

It is impossible for something to be created by itself out of nothing, therefor there must be a creater, and if the creature was as complex and great as humans, animals, plants, rocks, space...etc. then, the creator must be much much greater than one can ever imagine.

We as muslims know that Allah is our creator, because the prophet of this whole nation (Mohammed (pbuh)) told us so, and we have The Holy Quran to confirm it, We also know its true becuz he (PBUH) didnt read or write, so, there's no way he could'v wrote it by himself, for no single human being can write a book like Quran.

i dont want to bother you with more details, but please feel free to ask for more, if u like..

ebulfeth

you seem like a smart person. so you cant be an atheist. i think you are joking because everything in this universe show us Allah's existance.
to understand god's existance let me give some examples with questions.
first of all you call "cake" cake and we call same. you call "pen" pen and we do so.
you call "blue" blue and we do so. that means we have no differences between understanding things. because we see, thouch, taste,.......etc. same.
just think of a peach. where do we gather it_? ofcourse we collect it from a peach tree. right? whats that peach tree? its an only tree, fundamentally its a colloq. right? (we call human but its fundamentally bones and meat, flesh)
ok did this colooq go to school? no. did it take courses to make a peach? no.
does it have a brain? no. can it think to produce peach for humans to eat? no.
allright than it doesnt have a brain it doesnt think, it didnt go to school, doesnt know any sciences, but it makes such a peach as if this colloq knows us. its colour is pleasant for our eyes, its smell is pleasent for our nose, its taste is pleasent to our mouth, its vitamins is beneficial for our body.
ok now can this colloq give us this peach without knowing us and whitout any knowledge? no.
but this peach can only given to us by an existence who knows us, who likes us, who feel compassion for us, who knows our likes and dislikes. and this existance gives us that peach with that smell and gives us noses to get that smell. can you smell that peach with your ears? no.
if that existance wouldnt create our noses. we would refuse the fact that a peach has a smell. we would say there is no smell in this world. but existance gave the peach smell. so the existance who gave that smell to peach gave us the ability of smelling that fruit.
as you see, this existance is our creature. only that existance can teach that tree to produce peaches at the right time. only that existance can teach a brainless, poisonous insect (i mean bee) to produce honey which has plenty of benefits for humans.
if that existance( Allah) created those benficial organs, senses, fruits, minerals and etc. for us. we should thank for these to that existances.
secondly, can you believe that a car with five people can turn around itself without a driver? no.
then how can we believe that a world with 7 billion people turn itself? moreover this world has humans, animals, plants, mountains and etc. and turns in a space. (bot turn around itself and the sun.)
third but important, all of us know about big bang. while all explosings create disorder, untidiness, how can a great explosing such big bang can create an order, tidiness like this? ( if earth was 1 meter close to sun we would burn, if it was 1 meter far from the sun we would freeze. --stephen hawking--)
this existances tell us how: "Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were closed up, but We have opened them; and We have made of water everything living, will they not then believe? " (the prophets: 30--al anbiya: 30)
finally there are billions of different plants, fruits like peach, humans, animals, microorganisms, mountains, planets, gases, galaxies and and many examples. and all of these have difeerent duties. for example the existance makes some peaches dark red and makes some liht red. every peach has different colours, tastes, smells, shapes and etc. and every season we eat different peaches which is created for humans.
Allah created honey for humans, water for humans, peach for humans, sciences for humans, world for humans, oxygen for humans. or for any living or nonliving things.
now in these circumstances how can we say the existance of this great power is not concentrated on humans or any creature?
see you again.
salamo alaiqum to all muslims.

Hello la-ste,

Just like how you were taught to believe George Washington was the first president of the U.S. in the 1700s then why not believe in God? Think about where I'm going with this.......

Obase

Speaks his mind...
This is another argument from a well versed athiest on the DNA/link etc:

1. There is a pretty much uninterupted path of fossil ancesters for man, all of which are "intermeadiates" using even the creationist definition. This is true for most major animal groups now. The "no intermeadiates" has been abandoned by the main creationist/intelligent design groups these days. Any that keep this stance are lying.

If you think there are no human intermeadiate fossils, check here...

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/species.html

2. " DNA evidence is not enough". I'm sorry,We must accept common ancestary, not only with apes, but with fish and even protozoa. The evidence DNA is absolutely overpowering.

A simple example (I will try and be brief)

Non coding sections of DNA show historic damage caused by endronegous retrovirus - this damage is passed on through the generations. This damage is also found, in EXACTLY the same location of your DNA as in close ancesters like chimps.

Creatures close to you (like chimps) have many, many of the same precise bits of damage, those further seperated (like fish) show less common points. This is because DNA damage has occurredat pretty much random times down the timeline. We can use this to calculate when different species "broke off" from evolutionary paths.

To be clear: The points at which different species "branch off" the evolutionary time line is proven by "converging evidence" ie the fossil evidence is now supported by the DNA evidence - there have been NO results which have contractdicted this.

Any feedback that can counter this would be appreciated.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Allah
Both Transcendent and Immanent

By Noor al-Deen

20/04/2004

pic03.jpg

The universe is, in essence, a book that attests to the existence of Allah.

Of central importance to the Islamic creed is a firm belief in Allah (God)1 that accords with the precepts set in the Qur’an and Sunnah. While the majority of humanity believes in an absolute, the Islamic definition of God is precise and unique, and not subject to personal revisions. In other words, Allah is as He is, and our belief in His reality benefits no one but ourselves.

With this in mind, we have endeavored to define the Islamic understanding of Allah in a candid, albeit simple, language:

Allah is One, without any partners. He has no sharers in His essence, attributes, actions, or rulings. He is the sole Creator of all that exists, has existed, and will ever exist. Everything other than Him is His creation – that is, a contingent being that came into existence after it did not previously exist.

He alone controls all events, causes, and effects, and no power exists independently of His power. Nothing happens outside of His will, neither before He willed it, nor after He willed it, neither more than what He willed, nor less than what He willed.

There is nothing like Him, and it is impossible to imagine or conceive Him. He is not qualified by the laws of His creation. He is not encompassed by direction or distance. Allah existed as He has always been before the creation of time and space.2 He not only created time and space, but He is transcendentally beyond them, such that He cannot be “in” a place, He cannot be “everywhere,” and He cannot be “nowhere.”

Allah is the eternally-existing, necessary first cause. Unlike His creation, which is a possible existent subject to nonbeing, beginning, and ending, Allah has no beginning and He will never perish or come to an end. Scholars have also explained, “Bringing creation into existence did not add anything to His attributes that was not already there.”3

He is the Sustainer of everything, directly sustaining every instant of the existence of all things. He alone gives life and He alone gives death, and He will re-create and resurrect living rational beings for judgment and retribution just as He created them the first time. Nothing is difficult for Him.

His omnipotence encompasses all things intrinsically possible. He cannot terminate His own existence, for “the divine nature necessarily entails the divine perfections, of which being is one. It is impossible that Allah could cease to have this perfection or any other, for otherwise He would not be God.”4 Similarly, it is impossible for created things to contravene the knowledge or speech of Allah, for by being connected with either of these two divine attributes, it has become contingently necessary for any created thing to conform and submit.

His knowledge encompasses all things. It is not subject to change or increase; it is not based on time or chronology. He knew the actions and eternal abodes of all of humanity before its creation, and its actual existence and conformity to Allah’s pre-temporal knowledge neither increased nor benefited Him.

He sees all events and things in a manner wholly unlike our means of seeing things. His sight does not depend on distance, light, and appendages. Likewise, He hears all events and things with a hearing that transcends sound waves, volume, tone, and pitch.

Allah is the source of all benefit and harm. If all of humanity gathered together with the sole intention of benefiting or harming a single person, it would be absolutely powerless to do so save by the will and permission of Allah.

In a similar vein, Allah alone guides to His single, eternal truth, and He likewise leads astray. All good works done by a person are not a consequence of his own knowledge, effort, or piety, but rather they issue from a divinely-bestowed ability that Allah grants to whom He wills.

It should be noted at this point that while the masculine pronoun “He” is used in both Arabic and English to denote Allah, He is nonetheless transcendentally beyond any gender. Elucidating this phenomenon, T.J. Winter, a British academic, writes the following:

God is simply Allah, the God; never Father. The divine is referred to by the masculine pronoun: Allah is He (huwa); but the grammarians and exegetes concur that this is not even allegoric: Arabic has no neuter, and the use of the masculine is normal in Arabic for genderless nouns.5

The Signs of Allah

pic03a.jpg

The first “book” that attests to the existence of Allah is creation itself. As such, a wise man has said, “Praise be to God Who has proven His existence through His creation, proven His eternality through the origination of His creation, and proven His incomparability through the uniformity of His creation.”6

The universe is, in essence, a book, though few people are truly able to read it. With a printed book, a person may become obsessed with the font style, binding, paper quality, and other superficial features, while he never learns or takes the time to read the actual message contained therein. Similarly, most people confine their attention to the externalities of the world, such as the relationship between cause and effect, and they never perceive the underlying message of creation, namely, that behind it lays a single, all-wise, all-powerful Creator.7

Regarding the manifest signs of Allah all around us, a knowledgeable British convert to Islam writes the following:

We cannot live, for instance, without daily rest; both the human body and the human mind are constructed to need it. This fact is not in itself surprising, but what is surprising is that the solar system collaborates with us in our human frailty and provides us with a day and a night exactly suited to our needs. Man cannot claim to have compelled or persuaded the solar system to do so; nor can the solar system claim to have modeled human physical and mental energy to conform to its own movements. Both man and the solar system are evidently linked in a total organization in which man is the beneficiary; the organizer of these inexplicable concordances can only be a Supreme Controller of the universe and mankind. Sweet water is a necessary condition of human existence; it is equally necessary for those plants which produce man’s staple foods, which themselves depend on each other. If sea water were to invade our rivers and wells or rain down from the sky, is there any doubt that we should all die of hunger and thirst in a few days and the whole world become an empty desert? Yet sea water is only held back by an invisible barrier over which we have no control and the sun and the clouds co-operate in order to desalinate our water for us and so give us life.8

By reflecting upon the innumerable miracles within the cosmos around us through the use of the intellect that has been gifted to us, every human being of sound mind and senses is able to attain a basic realization of the existence of a single, omnipotent God. Through His Mercy and Guidance in the form of prophets and revealed texts,9 a person’s realization may ultimately grow into gnosis of the true nature of Allah and His Oneness, a concept know in Islam as Tawheed.

Tawheed

pic03b.jpg

An artistic rendering of ‎the word Allah.‎

In order to provide a better understanding of Islamic Tawheed, we have provided a description of Allah and some of His attributes as it appears in a famous, classical text of Islamic knowledge.The following is an original translation of excerpts from Revival of the Religious Sciences by Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali 10:

Allah is singular in His essence with no partner, Unique with no equivalent, Absolute, no opposite has He, Alone without peer. He is beginningless without predecessor, perpetual of being without end, singularly sustaining everything without stop. He is not victim to termination or cessation, or to the elapsing of spans or the passing of interims. Rather He is the First and the Last; the Outward and the Inward – and He has knowledge of everything.

He is not a body with form, nor is He a confined or quantifiable substance. He does not resemble bodies in quantifiably or divisibility. Rather He resembles nothing existent, nor does anything existent resemble Him. There is absolutely nothing like Him, nor is He like anything.

No measure confines Him, no space contains Him, no direction encompasses Him, nor do the heavens surround Him.

He is above everything until the farthest reaches of the stars – an above-ness that does not increase His nearness to the heavens; rather He is exalted in degree above the heavens to the same extent that He is exalted in degree above the depths of the earth. Notwithstanding, He is near to all existence, and He is nearer to the bondsman than his jugular vein. His nearness, however, no more resembles the nearness of bodies one to another than His essence resembles the essences of bodies.

He is too sublime that space should encompass Him, as He is too hallowed that time should restrict Him. Rather He was, before He created time and space, and He is now as He was always. He is separate from His creation by His attributes. He is transcendentally holier than to be subject to change and movement. Rather He remains in His qualities of absolute majesty, not subject to abating, and in His qualities of perfection with no need of increase.

He is Living, Almighty, Irresistible, Overpowering; deficiency does not affect Him nor does incapacity. “No slumber can seize Him nor sleep.”11 Extinction and death do not counteract Him. He is possessed of absolute dominion, sovereignty, and grandeur; to Him is creation and command.

He is matchless in creating and beginning, solitary in causing existence and originating. He creates all beings and their acts, decrees their sustenance and spans. Nothing possible is outside His grasp, and He is never detached from the absolute governing of all affairs. His abilities cannot be enumerated, and His knowledge is boundless.

He knows all things knowable, encompassing all that transpires between the depths of the earths to the ends of the universe. Nothing of an atom’s weight in the earth and the heavens escapes His Knowledge; rather He knows the creeping of a black ant across a soundless stone on a lightless night. He knows the movement of the particles on a windy day. He knows the hidden and what is beyond. He presides over the thoughts of the conscience, the movements of the cerebrations, and the recondite subtleties of the psyche, with a beginningless, eternal Knowledge that has been with Him forever.

He is the willer of all that exists, and He is the director of all that occurs. Nothing occurs in the seen or unseen world, be it minimal or abundant, small or large, good or evil, beneficial or harmful, of belief or disbelief, knowledge or ignorance, triumph or ruin, increase or decrease, obedience or defiance, except by His decree, foreordainment, command, and volition. What He wills is, and what He does not will is not.

A servant has no escape from disobeying Him except through His conferred success and mercy; he has no power to obey Him except through His assistance and will. If all of mankind united together to move or retard a single atom in the universe without His will and volition, they would be unable to do so.

He hears and He sees. No audible thing, however faint, escapes His hearing, and no visible thing, however minute, is hidden from His sight. Distance does not impede His hearing and darkness does not obstruct His seeing. His attributes do not resemble the attributes of the creation to the same extent that His essence does not resemble the essences of creation.

Everything other than Him is an originated thing that He created by His power from nothingness, since He existed in eternity alone and there was nothing whatsoever with Him. He originated creation thereafter as a manifestation of His power and as a realization of His preceding Will, not because He had any need of it.

He is Magnanimous in creating and in imposing obligations upon His creation; He is not compelled to do it by necessity. He is Gracious in beneficence and reform, though not through any need. Munificence and Kindness, Beneficence and Grace are His. He rewards His believing worshipers for their acts of obedience according to generosity and encouragement rather than according to their merit and obligation, for there is no obligation upon Him in any deed towards anyone. Tyranny is inconceivable in Him, for there is no right upon Him towards anyone.12

While these are the Islamic beliefs on Allah in written form, it must be noted that a person is not accountable for his intellectual understanding of them, but rather he is responsible for truly incorporating them in his heart. True conviction in Allah’s existence and in His actual relationship with every one of us comes only with His mercy and guidance. As such, Muslims ask Allah in every prayer for guidance unto His Straight Path.

Almeftah

Really breaks my heart when someone askes this question, Do u think the wrold created itself, or do you think we existed out of nothing??

I thought people of sience had brains to think with..!!! don't they?

sajjuaiah

Hello,

First, you are most welcome to this beautiful community.

You have visited the right place to discover Islam.

Please visit the below page for more information.

http://www.islam-guide.com/islam-guide.pdf

Inshalllah, Hope to see you frequently.

Thanks

Free Thinker

Really breaks my heart when someone askes this question, Do u think the wrold created itself, or do you think we existed out of nothing??

I thought people of sience had brains to think with..!!! don't they?

Why do you a problem with a world which 'created itself' or 'came out of nothing' while you are probably quite comfortable with the notion that Allah is infinite and has no creator?