Does our Beloved Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) have any known living descendents?

capetonian

Why am i asking this question? Recently i have noticed an increase in the number of "shaykhs/imaams" visiting our shores (Cape Town) claiming to be descendents of our Beloved Prophet. From the little information i have gathered it seems to me that these persons belong to the Sufi movement.

I know that our Beloved Prophet had no surviving sons, so would the offspring of His daughters be regarded as His descendents?

The latest "descendent" to arrive is Habib 'Umar ibn Hafidh and this is briefly what a local newspaper had to say about him: "One of the Muslim worlds most prominent scholars and agents of dawah, Habib 'Umar ibn Hafidh, is due to visit South Africa in February and March this year. The 47 year old is a 39th generation descendent of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW) and was born in the blessed city of Tarim in the Hadramaut valley. His father Habib Muhammed ibn Salim, was a renowned scholar".

I suspect this is a ploy used by some to lure people to the Sufi movement. Maybe it is easier for the Sufi student to pledge allegiance to his "Shaykh" if he claimed to be a descendent of our Beloved Prophet. I found the following bit of information on TTI with regards to the Sufi sect:

The Student and his ‘Shaykh’- There exists a strange and twisted relationship between the ‘shaykh’ (murshid) and his student (mureed). The student has to obey the ‘shaykh’ at all times and can’t have any objection to the ‘shaykhs’ statements, he must not speak in front of the ‘shaykh’ nor pray in front of him without the ‘shaykhs’ permission.
The student is not allowed to attain his 'spiritual development' from any other source, and he must keep in constant contact with the 'shaykh' who will inform him of his 'spiritual progress'.
Another thing which the student must do is give a bay’ah (pledge of allegiance) to his Shaykh so that he will then become a person of the tareeqah (path). There are several Sufi tareeqahs that the Sufi can give bay’ah to such as Naqshbandi, Chistee, Qaadiri and Shaadili named after the founder (often so-called) of the Tareeqah. Once the Sufi student makes his pledge to his 'shaykh', by placing his hand in the hand of his 'shaykh', he joins the tareeqah of the 'shaykh'. He then becomes part of a Sufi chain which many claim goes all the way back to the Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam)
Bay’ah linguistically means making an agreement. Islaamically it signifies making pledge to the Khalifah, or the Muslim ruler to promise or swear allegiance to him, not to revolt against him, but to obey him in whatever is not disobedience to Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala). In doing so, it was usual for the person making this covenant to place his hand in the hand of the Khalifah, or the ruler of the Muslims, in confirmation of the covenant. But the Sufis took this correct bay’ah a step further and started giving bay’ah to their shaykh’s, who were not caliphs or rulers. All of the examples of Muslims giving rulers’ bay’ah pertain only to that bay’ah, which is an exclusive belonging to the Khalifah or the ruler of the Muslims. Not one of the Ulema of the past made any reference to another form of bay’ah, like that of the Sufis.

:wasalam:

Abu Talib

Feeling low
:salam2:

I can't really say about the descendants but the way you described that so called Shaykh and student relations it surely proves they zre some kind of sect or as you mentioned Sufi.

rightpath_357

AstagfirAllah! I can't believe they'd say that! :astag:

Some one please tell me if I'm wrong- but there are NO decendants of the Prophet (PBUH).

I think Allah would have yeilded all the lives of the Prophets family during the Battle of Karbala. Because this way, if people go around carrying this kind of title, it doesn't mean that they will be that good of a person. And it shoudn't give them any sort of power over people- being like " I'm the Prophets decendant, you have to listen to me" or anything of that sort. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong.:)

Salam!!!!! :D

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I think there are indirect descendents living still. Because Imam Mahdi is supposed to come from the Prophet's family..

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I think there are indirect descendents living still. Because Imam Mahdi is supposed to come from the Prophet's family..

I believe so as well.

Also, (please don't quote me on this as I'm vague on it) I once heard that his descendents are extremely pious and God fearing and keep to themselves. They don't come out with their true identities and from what I heard no one really knows who they are.

Again please don't quote me on this as I heard it a long time ago and I may be making a mistake. Wallahu alim.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

There are descendants of The Prophet (alayhi assalat wassalam)..they have historic and judicial documents to prove their lineage to others..in addition to people of their town..city or country knowing *exactly* who they are as they're normally referred to as "Al-Ashraaf"..and alhamdulillah most do not take their lineage as a means to ascend to high positions..earn ostentatious regard amongst the people..or manipulate any sort of gain from people..they only claim the lineage as an honor and a duty because Rasulullah (sallah Allaho alayhi wassalam) has said:

"Do not turn away from [the lineage of] your forefathers, for the one who turns away from [the lineage of] of his forefather has blasphemed" [Imam Bukhari]

And...

"The one who claims an unknown lineage has blasphemed against Allah, and the one who rejects [himself] (i.e. disowns himself) from a lineage has blasphemed against Allah" [At-Tabarani]

It should not be difficult for the persons in question to present you with documents proving their lineage..but you should not *doubt it* until you are *certain* that they are falsely attributing themselves to the lineage of Rasulullah (alayhi assalat wassalam)..because slandering lineages is a *kufr*..according to the hadith which says...

"Two [matters] are to remain amongst the people and they shall contain kufr. Slandering of lineages, and wailing upon the dead" [Muslim]

And Allah (sobhanaho wa ta'ala) says..

"And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, they bear (on themselves) the crime of slander and plain sin." [Al-Ahzaab 33:58]

I once heard that his descendents are extremely pious and God fearing and keep to themselves. They don't come out with their true identities and from what I heard no one really knows who they are.

That's actually a common misconception..that people who belong to the lineage of Rasulullah are *pious* and *righteous* people..sobhanallah..they are fallible human beings..and they too have a nafs that inclines towards whims and desires like everyone else..certainly in that lineages there are pious people..and there are ones whom we can only say about.."may Allah guide them"..piousness and righteousness are no indication of this matter..

Also..those who belong to the lineage of Rasulullah *must* claim the lineage and declare it..because they cannot take or consume anything that is given in *Zakat*..as it is haram for *them*..Rasulullah (sallah Allaho wa alayhi wassalam) forbade Ahlul-Bait strictly from taking or consuming anything given in Zakat..and if those who belong to the lineage keep their identity a secret..they can risk committing a haram..hence they must put their identity out in the open..without the intention of gaining or doing the things I mentioned in the very beginning of course..

:wasalam: