Does Pschology and Islam mix?

amira87

I love Allah
I know that there is a cure for depression......and I know its not medications and counceling. Has anyone here ever had such bad depression that it effected the people and the environment around them. If so, how did you overcome it, and what was the moral outcome. I feel like I deal with manic depression.......haha...I know. I am a loon....lol I guess weakness comes in all different colors and sizes, I know in my heart what the solution is to my problems, and its islam. I just lose control sometimes and I feel like even when I pray to Allah........there is not a huge connection. My niya is good, but my actions say otherwise. I know I have a good heart deep down inside, but on the outside sometimes people say otherwise. I already know that evryone here is going to tell me to pray extra sunnah, or do something more in my faith....wallah I reallly want to start doing that, but with great intention. I know that every step of our daily lives should be for the sake of Allah.....right? THAN WHATS WRONG WITH ME? I have the best gift in the world.......Islam Who could ask for anyhting more? The number one reason why I think people like me and others out there grow weak inside is because, we become ungreatful for what we have. We become impatient, and cant handle any hardship that touches us......even if it is a small hardship. This is kiddish behavior and I want to always see the straight path, I want evryone to always see the straight path. I am not going to cover up my depression with haram things such as alchohol, drugs, basically haram things to cover it up. I guess the main solution is.......to be strong and to face the devistations that come to each and everyone of us in this worldly life. Inshalah...........patience and strength......is the key

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

First of all I have practiced counseling for many years. I do not hold a Ph.D nor an MD, but I am an excellent counselor. Given that what I discovered over two decades is medications do not cure a person. I noticed people who were spritual had better prognosis.
There are excellent sources to cure the illness of the heart. They are Islamic in nature and content. Bear in mind physical symptoms are the maninfestations of inner psyche disorders ( do not like that word).
So what do you do..you keep praying. You surround yourself with Muslims. You do not punish yourself for your feelings.
You have a senisitivity that most do not have. You need to become engaged with the world. You need to learn to accept the world as it is. So easy to write and so hard to do.
Keep busy but do not try to be perfect. Allah subhana talla is the disposer of all affairs, not us.
Also look at your diet. Many times the foods we put in our bodies tend to make us sick, both mentally and physically. There are excellent Islamic diets.
Hope this helps a wee bit...and please please keep in touch with us. You have a wonderful family here that loves you.
your aapa.

Sauda17

Surah Al-Sharh

Have We not expanded your breast?

And removed from you, your burden,

Which had broken your back

And We have exalted for you your remembrance.

Therefore, surely there is ease with hardship.

Undoubtedly, there is ease with hardship.

So, when you are free after prayer, then strive hard in invocation.

And attend to your Lord only.

amira87

I love Allah
jazak allah 7air

Salaam,

First of all I have practiced counseling for many years. I do not hold a Ph.D nor an MD, but I am an excellent counselor. Given that what I discovered over two decades is medications do not cure a person. I noticed people who were spritual had better prognosis.
There are excellent sources to cure the illness of the heart. They are Islamic in nature and content. Bear in mind physical symptoms are the maninfestations of inner psyche disorders ( do not like that word).
So what do you do..you keep praying. You surround yourself with Muslims. You do not punish yourself for your feelings.
You have a senisitivity that most do not have. You need to become engaged with the world. You need to learn to accept the world as it is. So easy to write and so hard to do.
Keep busy but do not try to be perfect. Allah subhana talla is the disposer of all affairs, not us.
Also look at your diet. Many times the foods we put in our bodies tend to make us sick, both mentally and physically. There are excellent Islamic diets.
Hope this helps a wee bit...and please please keep in touch with us. You have a wonderful family here that loves you.
your aapa.

Thx for your help and I love for the fact that the ummah is here to understand me and not critisize me or judge me....atleast you didnt..hehe Anyways, I didnt mean to say that theropy doesn't work....well for me it doesn't....unless I see a muslim phsycologist such as yourself. A person who doesnt understand Islam could'nt really help me because if they were a disbeliever theropist they would just shove medications down my throat and put a label on me........"BI POLOR" and........THATS ALL FOLKS

GAZIJA

Staff member
hmm interesting tread. i think that you need to focus on the root of your depression. many times we do something, that later we feel bad about and that is constantly on our minds, as more you think about it as more you are getting deppressed. pschology it self is just bunch of theories which do not mix with islam. for exaample: for depression in pschology you go and talk to somebody, meaning you let it out. in islam you pray and you seek refuge in Allah(swt) calling upon his beautiful names and you hart will become more patient and peacefull. Only exeption is if you are affected by jinn, then you have to look for best imam.
hope you will feel better inshallah:jumpclap: