DOGS

danial

ive tried explaining to a friend of mine who really loves dogs, about the implications of keeping a dog as a HOUSE pet(a pet that goes everywhere in the house n licks everything). my fren isnt muslim.

i tried to explain that dogs are filthy. the counter argument he had was that all animals are filthy, even many human.

i tried to explain about it being the same level as pigs, the counter argument is that pigs are closely related to humans in term of dna and their organs are simillar to humans such that at many times the pig;s heart can be a substitute for the humans.

then i got desperate, coz i cant relate about what the quran says coz he doesnt bilif in the quran, so i simply said like poisonous trees and fruits, God simply restricts some animals. then he counters a million and one things.

how can i convince him?

are there any converts hu were once dog lovers?how can i explain in a logical manner?

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

lol, you know, at this point... i don't think you should be too worried about this.

If your friend does not believe in the Qur'aan... if he doesn't believe in Islam, then these are not prohibitions for him at this point. You must realize everything comes in steps. The Prophet Muhammad :saw: taught the people Tawheed for many many year, only afterwards came Halal and Haram. Because you realize, without proper belief in Allah, these people don't really have any motivation to believe in the Prohibitions. They neither fear Allah, nor love Him. They neither believe it is a sin, nor think to strive towards this Paradise.

So I think you should show him Tawheed, and try to explain that first. Just my opinion

wasalam

danial

okok, lets has the possiblity of converting but he thinks that the quran restricts some stuff n he thinks the reason for it is unjustifiable such as the dog issue.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
ive tried explaining to a friend of mine who really loves dogs, about the implications of keeping a dog as a HOUSE pet(a pet that goes everywhere in the house n licks everything). my fren isnt muslim.

i tried to explain that dogs are filthy. the counter argument he had was that all animals are filthy, even many human.

i tried to explain about it being the same level as pigs, the counter argument is that pigs are closely related to humans in term of dna and their organs are simillar to humans such that at many times the pig;s heart can be a substitute for the humans.

then i got desperate, coz i cant relate about what the quran says coz he doesnt bilif in the quran, so i simply said like poisonous trees and fruits, God simply restricts some animals. then he counters a million and one things.

how can i convince him?

are there any converts hu were once dog lovers?how can i explain in a logical manner?

Salam

Dogs are not on the same level as pigs first if all. We are allowed to have dogs outside of the home. Allah (SWT) created ALL living things, all creatures are beautiful. The fact is as well this person probably loves there dog very much and you bugging them about it is going to push them away. Even if this person does become Muslim "there is no compulsion in religion"

I am a convert I didn't have a dog when I converted BUT if I did I would take care of it until it passed away and not have another dog again. I would not send it off to the SPCA to be uthanised (SP?)

suumaya

Asalamu alaikum
I hope this helps, I copy it from a islamic wesite.

Answer:
As Salaam Alykum. I am not aware if ProphetÕs (PBUH) wife Maymona had a dog for a pet. If you can send us your reference I will try to investigate it. To answer your question, Islam teaches us compassion to all creatures of Allah. Once the Prophet (PBUH) told his companions a story concerning a man who found a dog in the desert panting and licking the dust due to thirst. The man went to a well, filled his leather sock with water, and relieved the dogÕs thirst. For this kind act Allah forgave all his sins. It is permissible to keep hunting dogs and watch dogs but keeping dogs as house pets is disapproved (makruh). This admonition of the Prophet (PBUH) is consistent with modern research. Recent studies have shown that close contact with dogs such as licking etc...has health hazards. Following is somewhat lengthy excerpt from an article by Dr. Charles Bancroft which was published in Mahoning Valley Parent of OhioÉÉÉÉÉ.. While it would take an extensive amount of time to consider all of the transmittable diseases, I would only like to consider those with which almost every pet suffers during at least one part of its life. This is the disease of intestinal worms. Dogs and cats are susceptible to many types of intestinal parasites. The most common are roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms and whipworms. The chance of any of these infecting us or our children is small, however it is possible. I would like to consider the first three types and their public health significance. I will also briefly touch on the subject of pinworms. The roundworm (Toxocara canis and cati), which lives in the small intestine, may grow anywhere from one to seven inches long. Pet owners may occasionally see these adults in the vomitus or feces of infected puppies or kittens. The adult female can lay up to 200,000 eggs a day. High numbers of these eggs are shed in the feces, especially in infected young pets. Puppies and kittens may be born already infected with roundworms, having received them through the uterus of the adult female. Adult dogs and cats acquire the disease through their contact with soil infected with the roundworm eggs. People may become infected in the same way, by ingesting roundworm eggs from the soil, hands or any object contaminated by feces. This presents a problem to children since they often play in the yard, sandbox, even in the park. (A STUDY IN GREAT BRITAIN SHOWED THAT 24 PERCENT OF 800 SOIL SAMPLES FROM PUBLIC PARKS WERE FOUND TO CONTAIN INFECTIVE ROUNDWORM EGGS.) All of these areas are where pets may deposit their feces. When the roundworm egg enters a human, usually through infected hands, it is possible that it may cause a disease called Visceral Larva Migrans. It is most common in children one to four years of age. The clinical signs in children include fever, an enlarged liver and pulmonary inflammation. Questions on the disease in humans should be directed towards your physician. The hookworm (Ancyclostoma spp.) is a blood-sucking parasite which also lives in the small intestine. In contrast to the roundworm, the hookworm is so small it cannot be seen by the naked eye. However, as with roundworms, pets infected with hookworms may shed thousands of infected eggs in their feces and thereby contaminate the soil. Puppies and kittens are more prone to infection since they may receive the disease both through the mother's uterus and through their mother's milk while nursing. While it would be unusual for an adult pet to be seriously affected by hookworms, young pets may suffer serious illness. This would be the result of the severe anemia and diarrhea which may develop. The disease in people which may result from hookworm infection is called Cuytaneous Larva Migrans. Hookworms may directly penetrate human skin. This results in an intense scratching response. The people most susceptible are those who walk barefoot in high risk areas, such as the beach or parkÉÉÉÉ.. Several other extensive research studies have been conducted which shed light on the dangers to human health from close contact with dogs. Thank you for your question. MAA
Reference:

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
Salam

Dogs are not on the same level as pigs first if all. We are allowed to have dogs outside of the home. Allah (SWT) created ALL living things, all creatures are beautiful. The fact is as well this person probably loves there dog very much and you bugging them about it is going to push them away. Even if this person does become Muslim "there is no compulsion in religion"

I am a convert I didn't have a dog when I converted BUT if I did I would take care of it until it passed away and not have another dog again. I would not send it off to the SPCA to be uthanised (SP?)

Salam
thumbs up! Even when Islam prohibits having dogs as pets, people can still have them for security and hunting. Furthermore, we are not allowed in Islam to leave animals to die even when we are not allowed to keep them. Remember the prostitute whom Allah forgave for saving the life of a dog. I stand corrected if wrong.

danial

Asalamu alaikum
I hope this helps, I copy it from a islamic wesite.

Answer:
As Salaam Alykum. I am not aware if ProphetÕs (PBUH) wife Maymona had a dog for a pet. If you can send us your reference I will try to investigate it. To answer your question, Islam teaches us compassion to all creatures of Allah. Once the Prophet (PBUH) told his companions a story concerning a man who found a dog in the desert panting and licking the dust due to thirst. The man went to a well, filled his leather sock with water, and relieved the dogÕs thirst. For this kind act Allah forgave all his sins. It is permissible to keep hunting dogs and watch dogs but keeping dogs as house pets is disapproved (makruh). This admonition of the Prophet (PBUH) is consistent with modern research. Recent studies have shown that close contact with dogs such as licking etc...has health hazards. Following is somewhat lengthy excerpt from an article by Dr. Charles Bancroft which was published in Mahoning Valley Parent of OhioÉÉÉÉÉ.. While it would take an extensive amount of time to consider all of the transmittable diseases, I would only like to consider those with which almost every pet suffers during at least one part of its life. This is the disease of intestinal worms. Dogs and cats are susceptible to many types of intestinal parasites. The most common are roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms and whipworms. The chance of any of these infecting us or our children is small, however it is possible. I would like to consider the first three types and their public health significance. I will also briefly touch on the subject of pinworms. The roundworm (Toxocara canis and cati), which lives in the small intestine, may grow anywhere from one to seven inches long. Pet owners may occasionally see these adults in the vomitus or feces of infected puppies or kittens. The adult female can lay up to 200,000 eggs a day. High numbers of these eggs are shed in the feces, especially in infected young pets. Puppies and kittens may be born already infected with roundworms, having received them through the uterus of the adult female. Adult dogs and cats acquire the disease through their contact with soil infected with the roundworm eggs. People may become infected in the same way, by ingesting roundworm eggs from the soil, hands or any object contaminated by feces. This presents a problem to children since they often play in the yard, sandbox, even in the park. (A STUDY IN GREAT BRITAIN SHOWED THAT 24 PERCENT OF 800 SOIL SAMPLES FROM PUBLIC PARKS WERE FOUND TO CONTAIN INFECTIVE ROUNDWORM EGGS.) All of these areas are where pets may deposit their feces. When the roundworm egg enters a human, usually through infected hands, it is possible that it may cause a disease called Visceral Larva Migrans. It is most common in children one to four years of age. The clinical signs in children include fever, an enlarged liver and pulmonary inflammation. Questions on the disease in humans should be directed towards your physician. The hookworm (Ancyclostoma spp.) is a blood-sucking parasite which also lives in the small intestine. In contrast to the roundworm, the hookworm is so small it cannot be seen by the naked eye. However, as with roundworms, pets infected with hookworms may shed thousands of infected eggs in their feces and thereby contaminate the soil. Puppies and kittens are more prone to infection since they may receive the disease both through the mother's uterus and through their mother's milk while nursing. While it would be unusual for an adult pet to be seriously affected by hookworms, young pets may suffer serious illness. This would be the result of the severe anemia and diarrhea which may develop. The disease in people which may result from hookworm infection is called Cuytaneous Larva Migrans. Hookworms may directly penetrate human skin. This results in an intense scratching response. The people most susceptible are those who walk barefoot in high risk areas, such as the beach or parkÉÉÉÉ.. Several other extensive research studies have been conducted which shed light on the dangers to human health from close contact with dogs. Thank you for your question. MAA
Reference:

this doesnt explain anything about dogs specifically. this article simply tells me that many pets bring harmful stuff, which could mean dogs, cats and other animals. doesnt explain about why dogs are bad to keep in homes.
\
thanks anyway:)

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salam Brother,

As brothers and sisters said above that dogs are allowed as pet if they are out side of leaving permisses like for watching ur field or so on but they r prohibeted to be with u freely moving all around in ur house as they split there sliva all over and if dog used any of ur utensils or so then we have to wash it with sand prophet (S.A.W) said (at that time) and today science says that dog sliva contain harmfull germs and sand contain that antibiotics which can kill that germs. To my lil knowledge i know this much rest Allah and his Rasool knows the best.

Allah Hafiz.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Salam Brother,

As brothers and sisters said above that dogs are allowed as pet if they are out side of leaving permisses like for watching ur field or so on but they r prohibeted to be with u freely moving all around in ur house as they split there sliva all over and if dog used any of ur utensils or so then we have to wash it with sand prophet (S.A.W) said (at that time) and today science says that dog sliva contain harmfull germs and sand contain that antibiotics which can kill that germs. To my lil knowledge i know this much rest Allah and his Rasool knows the best.

Allah Hafiz.

you said it's prohibited (haram) plz provide proof, i've always heard and assumed it was musbooh

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salam Brother,

Insha Allah brother I will look for it and as i get Insha Allah i will post for u Insha Allah.

Allah Hafiz.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Salam Brother,

Insha Allah brother I will look for it and as i get Insha Allah i will post for u Insha Allah.

Allah Hafiz.

Salam

you are the 4th person to think I am a brother I AM A SISTER EVERYONE!!!

but thanks

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salam SISTER,

:) I m srry actually i cant c what u r but u have corrected me so next time Insha Allah i will try to remember it but if at all I do it again then think that ur lil foolish bro and forgive me :) and for past I m SORRY SISTER.

Jazak Allah.

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Jazak Allah for forgiving me for past and future :) so now i can say B... :)

Big SISTER. May Allah always shower his blessings on u. Ameen

kayleigh

I was and still am a dog lover. Just because you revert doesn't mean you should automatically hate dogs, or even pigs. Of course, don't eat pork, but that doesn't mean you have to detest the animal. Allah created the dog and the pig, did he not?

I live with my parents and my parents have a dog. And I agree with jabba - I would not send the dog off even if she were mine when I reverted. I consider her to be mine though - mine and my parents dog, and I will continue to look after and take care of her and treat her with kindness. The average dog isn't harmful to a humans health at all. In fact, I read of a study done where elderly people with cats OR dogs actually lived longer and had better health than those without.

I don't know why a dog is considered to be bad, but I don't think it's because they're dirty creatures. And not all dogs are dirty - I had one dog who was VERY clean. As clean as a cat, I would say. But dogs as just domestic pets and not for hunting or protection is a relatively new, and a very Western thing.

And to finally address the OP - if your friend isn't Muslim, then it doesn't matter, and it won't ever matter to him as long as he's not Muslim. If you're going to teach him about Islam, focus on the fundamentals of it.

khadiga

how can i convince him?

i think u should just leave him alone. if he doesn't believe in quran than u can never convince him.so just leave him alone:SMILY286:

Answer:

Praise be to Allah.

The fuqahaa’ are agreed that it is not permitted to keep a dog unless it is for a purpose, like hunting or guarding property or other uses that are not contrary to the Sharee’ah. The Prophet (peace and blessing of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding, hunting or farming, his reward will decrease by one qiraat every day." (Reported by Muslim, 2948)

As far as keeping a dog to guard the house is concerned, Ibn Qudaamah said: "It is not permitted, according to the most sound opinion." (al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 35/124)

For more information on this matter, please see question #377.

As regards the najaasah (impurity) of the dog, the Shaafi’i and Hanbali ‘ulamaa’ say that the whole dog is essentially naajis (impure). Some scholars say that any liquid excreted by the dog is naajis (not the dog itself). The saliva of the dog is extremely naajis, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If a dog licks the vessel of any one of you, let him throw away whatever was in it and wash it seven times." (Reported by Muslim, no. 418).

Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The way to purify the vessel of any one of you if a dog has licked it is to wash it seven times, the first time with earth." (Reported by Muslim, no. 420).

We must ensure that Muslims continue to be averse to dogs, even in the midst of what the kuffaar are used to do and what some Muslims have adopted of their habits.

May Allaah bestow good on you and on us. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
I think the reason is because dogs are the animals of Jinns. And like what I've always said before, "The black dog is a Shaytaan" cause our Nabi (SAW) said that himself in a Sahih Bukari Hadeeth.

Dogs also pee all over your carpet. That's why I don't like them. My mom read from a book that when a dog barks, it's calling to a Shaytaan or Iblees, and you have to say, "A-aw-zoo-billah-hee-meenash-shaytaaneer-rajeem," or
"Oh Allah I seek your refuge from Shaytaan."

And everyday, after your finished doing Fajr, say

"La- Illah-Illallahu-Wah-Dahu-Laa-Shaeek-Ala-Hoo; Lahuul-Mulku-Wala-Hul-Hamdu;
Yuhyee-Wayu-Meethu-Wa-Huwa-Allah
Kulee-Shay-een-Kadeer,"

Ten times and then Allah will prtect you from Shaytaan for the whole day (and also other undersireable things that Allah dislikes), and your status in jannah will be raised by ten levels.

The above means, "Nobody is worthy of Worship except Allah; he is ONE, and he has NO partner.This world and the Aakirah belong to him,and he is worthy of ALL praise. Life and death are controlled by HIM, and he controls the destiny of EVERYTHING"

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salam Brothers/Sisters

At first I will like to thank brother Thehumlewun for giving ref and safing me getting killed by my BIG SISTER(jabba) kidding :) and sister in my statement I didnt said HARAM I said PROHIBITED

Jazak Allah Khair.
Answer:

Praise be to Allah.

The fuqahaa’ are agreed that it is not permitted to keep a dog unless it is for a purpose, like hunting or guarding property or other uses that are not contrary to the Sharee’ah. The Prophet (peace and blessing of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding, hunting or farming, his reward will decrease by one qiraat every day." (Reported by Muslim, 2948)

As far as keeping a dog to guard the house is concerned, Ibn Qudaamah said: "It is not permitted, according to the most sound opinion." (al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 35/124)

For more information on this matter, please see question #377.

As regards the najaasah (impurity) of the dog, the Shaafi’i and Hanbali ‘ulamaa’ say that the whole dog is essentially naajis (impure). Some scholars say that any liquid excreted by the dog is naajis (not the dog itself). The saliva of the dog is extremely naajis, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If a dog licks the vessel of any one of you, let him throw away whatever was in it and wash it seven times." (Reported by Muslim, no. 418).

Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The way to purify the vessel of any one of you if a dog has licked it is to wash it seven times, the first time with earth." (Reported by Muslim, no. 420).

We must ensure that Muslims continue to be averse to dogs, even in the midst of what the kuffaar are used to do and what some Muslims have adopted of their habits.

May Allaah bestow good on you and on us. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid