DOGS

dianek

Why are dogs considered bad in Islam? My daughter has a little muslim friend who says she is forbidden to TOUCH a dog. And my husband will not allow me to get a puppy (inside or outside) for our kids. Growing up I LOVED my dogs. They were protective and sweet and members of the family. I don't understand the reasoning behind their negative status in Islam.

pure_muslimah

A.) All creatures are the creation of Allah Taãla and do deserve the recognition of being a creation of the Almighty. As much as Muslims detest even the sight of pigs - it is the creation of Allah Taãla - and because Allah has placed life into it, we cannot inflict pain nor torture the pig.

Similarly Allah Taãla created the dog from among His creation. This does not mean that we should love the dog. It is perhaps the indoctrination of the Western culture that 'The dog is Man's best Friend'. The theory that 'dogs are very dependent on Human affection' is a myth - again culture and custom has helped to develop this unnatural behavior.

Allah Taãla the Creator of this Universe - having created the dog would surely have known that the dog requires Human affection and love to exist in this world. Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) would have advised us to keep dogs as pets. On the contrary, we are instructed not to keep dogs as pets and 'love' them as exemplified by the non-Muslims. Remember our life is structured and bound by the Shariah i.e. The Noble Qurãn and the beautiful example of Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam). Consider these Ahaadith:

Sayyidna Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu Ánhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, "Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or an animate picture. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith no. 2986)

Sayyidna Ibn Abbas (Radhiyallaahu Ánhuma) reports from Sayyidna Maimoona (Radhiyallaahu Ánha) that once Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) became sad; and said that Jibra'eel (Álayhis Salaam) promised to meet him at night but did not turn up. "By Allah what has kept him back," said the Prophet (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam). Then he realised a puppy was under his bed. He ordered that the puppy be removed and the area be sprinkled with water. In the afternoon when Jibra'eel (Álayhi Salaam) came, Rasulullah (Sallallaaahu Álayhi Wasallam) enquired as to the delay. Jibra'eel (Álayhi

Salaam) said that we, the group of Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or pictures. (Sahih Muslim Hadith no.3928)

In the light of these Ahaadith and other narrations it is not permissible to keep dogs as pets. The household is deprived of the Mercy of Allah Taãla.

However, Jurists have stated that it is permissible to keep a dog for security purposes, farming and hunting.

The saliva of a dog is Najis (impure). If it touches the clothes or body, that portion also becomes impure and must be washed. And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

muneeb_ak

I have been thinking of this question as well for quite some time now and the best I could do is come up witht he following points (I am not really sure if this aswers your question).
Dogs saliva contains many germs that can become the cause of serious ailments.... and Doctors in my part of the world (Pakistan) forbid people from having animals as pets in the house whose hair may shed during the changing seasons.... this can especially be bad for people with any respioratory ailment. There can be along list of possible dangers posed to humans just by the dog's salive.
Looking at the moral aspects we consider another thing. During the Prophet's (SAW) time dogs were especially disliked because they were raised to the status of family-members where Arabs used to feed them with the rest of the family.I think the west is facing a similar problem where the people care more about their dogs than their parents... and in some cases even leave them property and wealth... This cannot be justified whatsoever. But however, these are the extreme cases which may result especially in the case of this 'household' animal, since except for dogs and cats I can't really think of any other animal that may be considered being that close to Humans at such a wide scale. And the problem I mentioned even persists today... where dogs may be valued more than humans just because it's an animal that's man's best friend.

zainsmommy

:)

I am sure someone will be able to give you the exact hadith on this...but in the meantime, I will leave MY OPINION ;)

Personally, I never did like pets in my house. Never! SO this was not an issue with me when I converted. I didn't understand it at first and needed to be told WHY, and after, I accepted it and moved on.

Also, now that I am a Muslim, and I pray five times a day on my living room floor, I shutter at the thought of a dog draggin himself across my carpet, RIGHT where my face has to go. YUK!

Though little doggys are cute and cuddly, they still are unsanitary. I am sorry. I am saying that from MY POINT of view and not as a Muslim. I would not want one eating or licking on my childs hands or face after they have licked themselves, I would not want one licking or eating on my bowl or dish after they have licked themselves. That's just me. I never ever could understand how people could let their dogs lick their faces. It's disgusting in my opinion.

I had a dog as a pet growing up, my Mom always kept her outside. Even then, as a child, I hated her to lick me. I thought it was gross!!!

That's just my personal opinion on dogs. I think they're cute, but definitely not for me. :D

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Hi Diane

a couple of good answers above

We muslims are bound by Allah SWT will. As simple as that. This is very important because if God was to comply with all our desires, the whole concept of having a religion will be redundant as it will be meaningless. Christianity (no offense meant) made this mistake many many times until people no longer saw the point in believing in God because they seemed to know better. Look how wide spread atheism is in the so called "Christian" countries.

Accept Allah's will, and enjoy being obedient to God is my philosophy.

However, if you are looking for a scientific explanation then alhamdulellah there is one: Dogs have very little sweat glands and sweat by breathing and panting. Sweat contains urea, which is a compound found in urine (as you can guess). Now imagine having a constant source of urea in the house ...

The "dog is man best friend" is a Western urban myth. In my region a dog kill a young child every 1 to 2 years and hospitals receive dog related injuries all the time. Dogs are predators. They are deisgned to live free and hunt. You just cannot ignoe this fact.

Allah knows best.

dianek

well if cleanliness is the issue, why are you allowed to have cats.........they are like dogs in the way they groom themselves. What about ferrets, hampsters, sugar gliders etc. Trying to find an animal my husband can agree on. I can't help but think, if God created, why can't we love it? A dog is a dog, not above our children, but they are playful and smart. I would not want a dog indoors, but certainly think outside.....

arabiantxn

well if cleanliness is the issue, why are you allowed to have cats.........they are like dogs in the way they groom themselves. What about ferrets, hampsters, sugar gliders etc. Trying to find an animal my husband can agree on. I can't help but think, if God created, why can't we love it? A dog is a dog, not above our children, but they are playful and smart. I would not want a dog indoors, but certainly think outside.....

:salam2: aHaa you are like me an animal lover loll
Ferrets are nice unfortunately they stink a lot (not that I don’t its just they do more than me) unless you want to remove their scent glands. The other critters you have on your list are too small. I would say if you want some thing look at baby chicks and sugar gliders I heard that they are very high maintenance.

zainsmommy

Well then, if you feel that way... GET A DOG!

WHo cares what he thinks. It's not YOUR religion right?

You say he doesn't respect you and your ways....So why should you conform to his?

Why stress yourself so much? :confused:

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Well then, if you feel that way... GET A DOG!

WHo cares what he thinks. It's not YOUR religion right?

You say he doesn't respect you and your ways....So why should you conform to his?

Why stress yourself so much? :confused:

Do you practice marriage counselling in your past time ??? :SMILY335:

Suppose his reasons were not religious (there are plenty of people out there who just cant stand dogs) ... would your advice be the same ?

Diane, AFAIK cats are fine. One of the companions (Abu Huraira - whos name mean the man of the kitten) used to keep one. Cats dont pant like dogs. Not sure about the others.

dianek

I am trying to meet him half way. Compromise....no I am not Muslim but my kids are being raised muslim so I try to respect that for him.

buraq

asalam-o-alikum,,,,

we are forgeting that dogs were wild, it was the westen man that did take them from the wild and tame them, in there heart a dog is wild, once they have had the tast of blood they will attack, its in there nature,

Allah knows best,

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
AS

People, dont be mean to someone who is asking a question.

Diane says she grew up with dogs, and bashing dogs as the most unfilth creature on the planet may hurt her feelings. If you dont like dogs, just say why...dont type it in bold letters saying why they are ugly. The tone that type of writing sets off is rude.

Anyways

the truth of the matter is, for those of you who dont know....Dogs are actually
quite smart and dependable. Thats why fire patrols have dogs. They can save lives if trained right. No other animal can do that on a normal basis.

Dogs more than any animal greets you when you come home and such and they show more affection than cats and other animals.

However, my parents told me that Islam doesnt have anything against dogs, but its their saliva thats impure. I've been told by many muslims that if you keep a dog outside thats fine, but inside no. Why? Because if the saliva drops on your carpet, it becomes impure and ur house is then impure so that why angels can not enter. If you keep a dog outside, its fine because outside is like part of the wild, and you dont really live there, so dogs can be outside no prob.

Dogs arent bad animals. If you live in the U.S I'm sure you have heard of countless incidents where a dog actually saved the life of a little child who was almost attacked by a wild animal or in some cases the neighbor's dog. The dog which the little girl/boy kept as pets, fought off the opposing animal to save the child. Dogs are ctually pretty chill animals.

I personally dont like pets, cause I'm pretty lazy to take care of em. If my child wanted a puppy, I would probably buy her one but I'll still enforce the must stay outside rule.

If your husband has a problem with dogs, explain to him the benefits of it. Let him listen to u with an open mind, and you lsiten to him with urs. Im' sure if he loves u u can come to an agreement where u both r happy.

WS

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Well ... I guess the media in general tend to tell people what they want to hear ... stories about the heroism of dogs are just easy to sell

I have seen first hand horrible injuries due to dog bites. DOGS BITE. They just do. I dont know if rabies is a big problem in your area.

Just go to google and search for "dog bite" ... perhaps you will think twice before putting a dog near a child again

or better see this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_attack

4.7 million !! its a pandemic !

with 17 fatalities on average every year I wonder whether more are killed by sharks ... although they seem to have all the bad reputation

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
Well ... I guess the media in general tend to tell people what they want to hear ... stories about the heroism of dogs are just easy to sell

I have seen first hand horrible injuries due to dog bites. DOGS BITE. They just do. I dont know if rabies is a big problem in your area.

Just go to google and search for "dog bite" ... perhaps you will think twice before putting a dog near a child again

or better see this link

with 17 fatalities on average every year I wonder whether more are killed by sharks ... although they seem to have all the bad reputation
AS,

Okay, but any animals can bite. Even Humans.... Thats not really a reasonable argument. Its true dogs bite, no one said they dont. But they also have a fair share of heroism too. Its how you raise them. 4.7 milllion is throught many periods of time....not in one day. Meaning its not as dramatic as you are making it sound. Its all how you raise them. I've never been bitten by a dog allhamdullillah and I plan to not in the future inshallah. Rabbis is not a giant problem in my area because U.S is cleaner than most countries. The dogs have to go through diffrent tests and requiremnts before they can be adopted or bought as pets.

If you want google "benefits of having a dog" or "dog heroism"

WS

*Edit* Its not a matter of wether a dog will save someone when they get the chance or not. Its a matter of capabilities. dogs are capable of saving lives just as much they are capable of killing. Thats why Fire Patrol and Police have dogs to save lives and thats why bad people hold dog fights becuse of their capability of killing someone.

gangstaat

Allah Hu Akbar
damn dogs are dangerous.
i've personally never touched a dog and i m 20 years old.
Not because my religion but i just dont like dogs.

dianek

Thank you so much for your understanding response. That was my experience, McJagger, a black lab, protected my brother and I from his own brothers when he belonged to our neighbor, when they moved they left him with us. He was wonderful and he was loved and he was an outside dog. I just thought that my children would benefit from that kind of sweet love. BUT, I don't want to do anything to bother my husband if it conflicts with his faith.

arabiantxn

True actually before you deicide to get one you might want to check with your HOA and your local municipality also one other thing you would have to check your home insurance policy or supplemental coverage.

AS a child when i used to go visit my grand mother i used to plan how i would get in and get out of the house without beeing eaten . It turned out that i used to either carry a basked of balls or sticks so that we can play fetch while our way into the house from the main gate. SHE Had 8 full grown doberman and a small dog of some kind i think it was a boxer mix.

dianek

or better see this link

I have no intentions to adopt Michael Vick's dogs......no pitbulls or fighters.......lab maybe, *!*!*!*!szu terrier....