dont greet Salam to non muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.

FEARFROMREAL

“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.”
[al-Nisa’ 4:86]
It is not permissible – firstly – to initiate the greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Do not initiate the greeting of salaam to a Jew or a Christian…”
(Narrated by Muslim, 2167).

If one of them says “As-Saam ‘alaykum” – meaning, may death be upon you – or it is not clear whether they have said “salaam”, then we should respond by saying “Wa ‘alaykum” (and upon you).

It was reported that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“When the Jews greet you, they say ‘Al-saam ‘alaykum (may death be upon you),’ so respond by saying ‘‘alayk (and also upon you).’”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5902; Muslim, 2461).

If a non-Muslim greets us with the correct shar’i greeting (i.e., says ‘Al-salaamu ‘alaykum’ clearly), the scholars differed as to whether we have to return the greeting. The majority of scholars said that we do have to return the greeting, and this is the correct view.
---
this is what i found may be there are more.

massi

:salam2:
:SMILY259:

How should we return the greeting of salaam from a non-Muslim?

Question:
What should we say when greeting by a non-Muslim with: As salaamu 'alaykum?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible – firstly – to initiate the greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam to a Jew or a Christian…” (Narrated by Muslim, 2167).

If one of them says “As-Saam ‘alaykum” – meaning, may death be upon you – or it is not clear whether they have said “salaam”, then we should respond by saying “Wa ‘alaykum” (and upon you).

It was reported that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the Jews greet you, they say ‘Al-saam ‘alaykum (may death be upon you),’ so respond by saying ‘‘alayk (and also upon you).’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5902; Muslim, 2461).

If a non-Muslim greets us with the correct shar’i greeting (i.e., says ‘Al-salaamu ‘alaykum’ clearly), the scholars differed as to whether we have to return the greeting. The majority of scholars said that we do have to return the greeting, and this is the correct view.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: they differed as to whether it is obligatory to return the greeting. The majority said that it is obligatory and this is the correct view. A group of scholars said that it is not obligatory to return their greeting just as it is not obligatory to return the greeting of those who follow bid’ah. But the correct view is the first one. The difference is that we are commanded to forsake the followers of bid’ah by way of rebuke and to warn others about them, which is not the case with the Ahl al-Dhimmah (Jews and Christians).

(Zaad al-Ma’aad, 2/425, 426)

The Muslim who is returning the greeting should respond in the manner prescribed by sharee’ah, giving a similar or better greeting, because of the general meaning of the Aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.” [al-Nisa’ 4:86]

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: if the person is certain that the Dhimmi (Jew or Christian) is clearly saying ‘al-salaamu ‘alaykum’ to him, and he has no doubts about that, should he say ‘wa ‘alayka al-salaam’ or shorten it to ‘wa ‘alayk’? What is indicated by the evidence and principles of sharee’ah is that he should say ‘wa ‘alayka al-salaam’, because this is more just, and Allaah commands us to be just and to treat others well… this does not contradict any of the ahaadeeth on this topic at all, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to shorten the greeting to ‘wa ‘alayk’ because of the reason mentioned above, which is that they deliberately used to say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum’ instead of ‘al-salaam ‘alaykum’, as indicated in the hadeeth narrated by ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her). He said, “Do you not see that I say ‘wa ‘alaykum’ when they say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum’?” Then he said, “If the People of the Book greet you with salaam, say, ‘Wa ‘alaykum.’”

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and when they come to you, they greet you with a greeting wherewith Allaah greets you not, and say within themselves, ‘Why would Allâh punish us not for what we say?’…” [al-Mujaadilah 58:8]

If this reason is not there, and the Jew or Christian says, ‘Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah,’ then it is only fair to respond in kind.

(Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/425, 426)

The hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah was narrated by al-Bukhaari (5901) and Muslim (2165)

See also: Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/97

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

massi

How should we respond when the People of the Book greet us with salaam?

Question:
What is the proper way of greeting a non-muslim (5%'er,FOI,or Christian)when they greet you with the correct Salam's.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If the Muslim realizes that the kaafir has said to him “al-saam ‘alaykum”, which means may death be upon you, he should respond in kind by saying “wa ‘alaykum” (and also upon you).

If he realizes beyond a doubt that he has greeted him with the greeting of Islam (al-salaamu alaykum), Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: if the listener realized that the Dhimmi [Jew or Christian] has said “salaam ‘alaykum” and he is sure of that, should he say “wa ‘alayk al-salaam” or just “wa ‘alayk”?

According to the evidence and principles of sharee’ah, he should say “wa ‘alayk al-salaam”, because this is more fair, and Allaah commands us to be just and to treat others well.

(Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/425, 426).

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah preserve him) said:

These people who have come to us from the east and the west and are not Muslims, it is not permissible for us to initiate the greeting of salaam with them, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians.” (Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh).

If they greet us, then we can respond in a manner similar to that in which they greet us, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally” [al-Nisaa’ 4:86].

When they greet us with the greeting of Islam – “al-salaamu ‘alaykum” – either of the following two cases applies:

Either they pronounce the “laam” (l-sound) clearly, and say “al-salaam ‘alaykum (peace be upon you)”, so we may say “wa ‘alaykum al-salaam” or “wa ‘alaykum”

Or they do not pronounce the “laam” clearly, and so they say “al-saamu ‘alaykum (death be upon you)”, so we should say “wa ‘alaykum” only. This is because the Jews used to come to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and greet him by saying “al-saam ‘alaykum”, without pronouncing the “laam”. “Al-saam” means “death”; i.e., they were praying against the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), praying that he would die. So the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to say to them “wa ‘alaykum.”

Thus, if they say “al-saam ‘alaykum”, we should reply, “wa ‘alaykum”, which means: and the same to you, may death be upon you. This is what is indicated by the Sunnah.

But if we initiate the greeting of salaam with them, our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to do this.

(Majmoo’ Fataawaa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/97, 98).

And Allaah knows best.

For more information, see Question # 6583.

Islam Q&A
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=7092&ln=eng

q8penpals

Salam

So, just to be clear, we as Muslims are not allowed to greet non-Muslim people by saying (in Arabic) "Peace be upon you"? Why would we not be allowed to wish peace to anyone and everyone? I am confused when someone asks one short question and the response is so long and hits other things other than the question, and this one confused me.

Please, someone, summarize in a sentence or two the answer to the original question for those of us who get confused easily.

Lana

FEARFROMREAL

There is nothing to be confused. syed_saalim request help with evidence in quran or hadith to greet someone non-muslim. simple answer is you can't greet someone with salam of Allah. Because he/she doesn't believe Allah. So you can say Hi There, Hello or Salam but it doesn't mean anything Essalamu Aleykum to that person. So don't get confused. By the way sorry about english. i'm from turkey that is all i can express myself. Essalmu Aleykum.

Akilah

What I understood from all that was that you can say salaam to them but:

1. you should not be the initiator
2. if you return the salaam and you aren't sure what they said you should say 'same to you' or the equivalent in arabic.
3. if you are sure they gave a proper greeting, then you should return a similarly nice or better greeting.

Is this not what was written?

massi

What I understood from all that was that you can say salaam to them but:

1. you should not be the initiator
2. if you return the salaam and you aren't sure what they said you should say 'same to you' or the equivalent in arabic.
3. if you are sure they gave a proper greeting, then you should return a similarly nice or better greeting.

Is this not what was written?
good :SMILY335::SMILY335::SMILY335:

habib786

well i certianly learn something from it .. leaving in a non-muslim environment ... thank you for sharing ..............

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i've learned about this issue early on. i never ever say salaam to them first, when they give me the salaam; i do respond as if i were responding to a muslim. it's interesting that when i'm at the masjid hardly anyone ever gives me a salaam, yet a hindu and a christian always give me the salaam as soon as i walk in the door at work.
:wasalam:

Please forgive this "not yet Muslim" for barging in. I have always greeted Muslims with the salaam, sepecially since 9/11. I believed it was my way of showing respect to and support for a people who obviously have a deep love of God and that this American had no hate or prejudice toward them.

Thank you.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Please forgive this "not yet Muslim" for barging in. I have always greeted Muslims with the salaam, sepecially since 9/11. I believed it was my way of showing respect to and support for a people who obviously have a deep love of God and that this American had no hate or prejudice toward them.

Thank you.

there are many people like you. that's why i respond to their salaams. also, in language we can tell when someone is being sincere, sarcastic or asking a question, by one's tone. so if someone were to say it to me in a sarcastic manner i wouldn't respond. i don't know if that's the halal thing to do, but i do know that some people try to be funny like that.
:wasalam:

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
When non-muslims give me the greeting, I greet them back because you never know that maybe they might be muslim or was muslim. A non-muslim gave me the greetings and I said "Walaykum", and he said no you are supposed to greet me with a full greeting, so he corrected me. I don't initiate unless initiated. Allah knows best.

ansari.wajid

take initiative in telling salam

Asalamualaikum Varahmatullah

I have quoted some of the Quranic verses and Ahadith which clearly gives us impression that a muslim should greet with salam to who ever he meets, but unfortunately some of the members here are not satisfied with my references of the Holy Quran, Sunnah and Hadith. As quoted above in my previous post, a muslim should take initiative to greet others irrespective of there religion.
We as a muslim should propagate peace in the world and salam is one such initiative as well as a prayer. Almighty Allah commands us to pray and he accepts prayers and as such if we say salam to others and this beutiful prayer salam if accepted by Allah, may be that person to whome we are sending salam become muslim.
Whatever it might be a muslim is told to take initiative in telling salam.
After all why should we wait to say salam to others, as Almighty Allah tought us muslims this beautiful prayer of salam to say others.
Hope this is enough, if anybody has any query please let me know.

vasalam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullaah,

Brother Massi has posted the explanation. We can wish them "peace" but not proactively initiate them first. We may respond to them by saying “Wa ‘alaykum” (and upon you). This is because the Prophet salallaahu alayhi wa sallaam said so.

To the brother who posted evidence from the Qur'an, brother it is not enough that is why we are left with the Sunnah/Hadeeth to explain what is in the Qur'an. Wallaahu Ahlam.

:SMILY259:

How should we return the greeting of salaam from a non-Muslim?

Question:
What should we say when greeting by a non-Muslim with: As salaamu 'alaykum?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible – firstly – to initiate the greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam to a Jew or a Christian…” (Narrated by Muslim, 2167).

It was reported that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the Jews greet you, they say ‘Al-saam ‘alaykum (may death be upon you),’ so respond by saying ‘‘alayk (and also upon you).’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5902; Muslim, 2461).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: they differed as to whether it is obligatory to return the greeting. The majority said that it is obligatory and this is the correct view. A group of scholars said that it is not obligatory to return their greeting just as it is not obligatory to return the greeting of those who follow bid’ah. But the correct view is the first one. The difference is that we are commanded to forsake the followers of bid’ah by way of rebuke and to warn others about them, which is not the case with the Ahl al-Dhimmah (Jews and Christians).

(Zaad al-Ma’aad, 2/425, 426)

The Muslim who is returning the greeting should respond in the manner prescribed by sharee’ah, giving a similar or better greeting, because of the general meaning of the Aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.” [al-Nisa’ 4:86]

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: if the person is certain that the Dhimmi (Jew or Christian) is clearly saying ‘al-salaamu ‘alaykum’ to him, and he has no doubts about that, should he say ‘wa ‘alayka al-salaam’ or shorten it to ‘wa ‘alayk’? What is indicated by the evidence and principles of sharee’ah is that he should say ‘wa ‘alayka al-salaam’, because this is more just, and Allaah commands us to be just and to treat others well… this does not contradict any of the ahaadeeth on this topic at all, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to shorten the greeting to ‘wa ‘alayk’ because of the reason mentioned above, which is that they deliberately used to say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum’ instead of ‘al-salaam ‘alaykum’, as indicated in the hadeeth narrated by ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her). He said, “Do you not see that I say ‘wa ‘alaykum’ when they say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum’?” Then he said, “If the People of the Book greet you with salaam, say, ‘Wa ‘alaykum.’”

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and when they come to you, they greet you with a greeting wherewith Allaah greets you not, and say within themselves, ‘Why would Allâh punish us not for what we say?’…” [al-Mujaadilah 58:8]

If this reason is not there, and the Jew or Christian says, ‘Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah,’ then it is only fair to respond in kind.

(Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/425, 426)

The hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah was narrated by al-Bukhaari (5901) and Muslim (2165)

See also: Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/97

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
Assalamualakum dear all,
Thank you for initiating this discussion...it was very useful for me...
May Allah reward you all for this...

saif

Question:

There is often debate about whether believers can say "Assalaam Alaikum" to the non-believers. I would like your opinion on this with consideration to Surah Al-Furqaan 25:63.

JazakAllah ker,

Answer:

Most Muslim scholars are of the opinion that Muslims should not greet non Muslims with the words "Assalaam Alaikum " (i.e. 'peace be on you' and 'may you live in safety'). However, the reason for this opinion seems to be that firstly, the words "Assalaam Alaikum" were promoted by the Prophet (pbuh) specifically as a mutual greeting among Muslims only and secondly, in one of the narratives ascribed to the Prophet (pbuh), it is narrated that the Prophet (pbuh) directed the Muslims to respond to the greetings of the Jews with the words "Wa Alaikum" (i.e. 'and on you too') only.

Muslim scholars, in view of these narratives, are of the opinion that the words Assalaam Alaikum, should not be used as greetings for non-Muslims and should be restricted to greeting other Muslims only. Nevertheless, an analysis of the referred narratives ascribed to the Prophet shows that none of these narratives provides a sound basis for holding the opinion.

As far as the first among these narratives is concerned, it obviously does not prohibit greeting non-Muslims with the referred words. The fact that the Prophet directed the Muslims to mutually greet each other with some specific words does not by itself prohibit the Muslims to greet non-Muslims with the same words. Furthermore, a study of the second category of narratives shows that the Prophet (pbuh) directed the Muslims to respond to the greetings of the Jews with the words Wa Alaikum only because of the reason that the Jews, while greeting Muslims, rather than saying Assalaam Alaikum, would twist their tongues and say "Assaam Alaikum", which literally meant death be upon you all. In response to this cursing of the Jews, there were incidents where Muslims had started cursing back at them. The Prophet actually discouraged the Muslims from cursing the Jews, even if that was in response to their cursing them. The Prophet advised the Muslims to use such words in response to the greetings of the Jews that would only return their own greetings/cursings upon them. Thus, the words Wa Alaikum, which literally meant "the same (blessing/curse) be upon you too".

In your question, you have mentioned that in my answer, I should also give consideration to the verse Al-Furqaan 25: 63. The referred verse in my opinion does not relate to the issue under consideration. The verse, on the contrary, directs the Muslims to gracefully avoid entering into heated arguments with ignorant and haughty people. The word Salaam in the referred verse implies the graceful avoidance that the Muslims have been advised.

In view of the above explanation, it may be derived that the Islamic Shari`ah does not prohibit the Muslims to greet non-Muslims with the words Assalaam Alaikum. However, it may be of interest to note that the Prophet (pbuh), at the end of his ministry opted to avoid using these words while greeting other than those, who had accepted faith. The reason for this avoidance is also easily determinable if one is aware of the position of a messenger of God (especially with reference to the removal of all excuse of rejection) as well as the meaning of the words Assalaam Alaikum.

As far as the meaning of the words Assalaam Alaikum is concerned, it has already been explained that it is, in essence, a supplication in favor of the addressees. When a person greets another with the words Assalaam Alaikum (literally meaning 'peace be on you', or 'may you be in safety'), he actually offers his prayers of peace and blessings for the addressees for the life of this world as well as the hereafter. We know that the Qur'an has directed the Prophet as well as the Muslims to offer any prayers for the polytheists. In view of this directive of the Qur'an, the Prophet as well as the Muslims avoided greeting the non-Muslims - especially the polytheists - with the words Assalaam Alaikum and in place of that greeted them with the words 'Salaamun `alaa mun ittaba`a al-Hudaa' (literally meaning peace be on him, who follows the guidance).

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.”
[al-Nisa’ 4:86]
It is not permissible – firstly – to initiate the greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Do not initiate the greeting of salaam to a Jew or a Christian…”
(Narrated by Muslim, 2167).

It was reported that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“When the Jews greet you, they say ‘Al-saam ‘alaykum (may death be upon you),’ so respond by saying ‘‘alayk (and also upon you).’”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5902; Muslim, 2461).

---
this is what i found may be there are more.

exactely, very true indeed.

cmelbouzaidi

I agree with sister/brother massi.... great summary. But I did learn something, I never knew there had been a history of Jews greeting Muslims with "Death be upon you".... interesting, if so. When I attend interfaith gatherings, People of the Book, i.e. Jews and Christians greet us Muslims with "Assalamu alaikom" and I respond in kind. I don't dismiss People of the Book as non-believers and am delighted when they want to learn more about Islam. Insha Allah, through kindness and true faith in Islam, more and more People of the Book will come to embrace Islam.

Status
Not open for further replies.