Question: Doubt on Music

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:salam:

So here is a simple doubt. I know that Music(with lyrics) is haraam, but I wanted to know about Music with just instruments? Like just Violin or Flute or Piano? For example the works of Chopin or Antonio Vivaldi?

JazakAllahu Khairan in advance
Peace. :)

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
The reason music and the likes are prohibited is because it deters one from the remembrance of Allah. When you feel an urge to listen to music, the urge to listen to, or recite, Quran diminishes in one's heart, and ultimately life, because when mixed, the heart cannot hold both despite the frequency of immersion. See, the beauty with indulging in Quran is that you almost develop a thirst for it, just as your ears do for music. Except with the Quran, your soul aches for it, it desires it like any hungry seeks its food. And when you feed it, it is the most nourishing of experiences. Music, on the other hand, even the slightly more permissible ones do not reach beyond the ears, because, if, and when you have tasted the difference, the pleasure you seek is accompanied with guilt. And where is the joy in something your heart is not in?

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh, akhy.

At first I was just going to reply with just my words and a hadeeth but then I though agood read will do you some good as well.
There's a famous hadeeth in which the prophet :saw: says, there'll be some people from among my followers who'll make lawful many unlawful things, and he includes musical instruments in the list. (these are not the verbatim words of the prophet, just my summary)
The Arabic word he :saw: used was المعازف (al-Ma`aazif). The companion`Abdullaah ibn `abbaas said it means "singing" whilst Mujaahid said it means "playing the drum". But all scholars agree that it means singing + musical instruments, as you'll see in the links inshaa'Allaah.

So have a read - may it be of benefit to you.

Ruling on music, singing and dancing
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/5000

He loves Islam but he cannot give up classical music!
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/50687

Ruling on so-called “Islamic” songs with musical instruments
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/5011/

But the daff drum is allowed, for females only. And on certain occasions.

When is it permissible to beat the daff?
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/20406

PS. Those guys you mentioned, I think they're like the pianist, yeah? Beethoven, Moose..? I don't even know if i'm getting their names right... But I like to think of them as shayaateen in disguise. Apparently their "work" has calming effects on people, and as we know, shaytaan's goal is to replace the Qur'aan and the peace and joy it brings us with these sorta things. We seek refuge in Allaah `azza wa jall from their evil plots and whispers.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:

JazakAllahu Khairan for replying, both sister Mahzala and sister Janaan. Guess what, yesterday I was reading the Tafsir of Surah Luqman, and there comes this ayat on singing & music! Allahu Akbar. I didn't realize till this moment that I got the answer for my question yesterday itself. :D

Sister Mahzala - Nice explanation :)
Sister Janaan - JazakAllahu Khairan once again. Ameen to you dua'a

Alhamdulilah. May Allah protect us from evil in this world.

Peace.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
I was going to include that verse, in all honesty, but as Allah willed, it was more effective for you to have read it in your own space and time. The reflection was a lot stronger I suppose. And it reminds me of this: there are a few ways of purifying your sins before you are able to enter Jannah. Among them, the one means we have is in this world. Allah will test you, burden you with calamity and hardship so that you turn to Him, or show you the right path whether you seek it actively or at the mere sensation of doubt, as has happened with you. SubhanAllah!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Some people think music without lyrics is okay, but its completely not. The music still gets stuck in your head, and plays on repeat long after you've shut down the actual source. So all those Beethoven, Chopin, Yanni etc etc are all a no. It was just shaytaan whispering to you brother, trying to make you find loopholes. Alhamdulillah for Allah's verses.