Drawn in to the beauty . . .

AdamJV

Asalamu Alaykum (is this right?)

My name is Adam Vaananen, I'm 35, and living in Halifax, CANADA. I am learning a lot about Islam and what it means to be a Muslim. I like the devotion to Allah that is shown in this dynamic way of life! I'm a Christian, I guess you coulds say, but don't believe I should be worshipping Jesus (pbuh). It doesn't make sense . . . since we should be praying/praising God directly.

Anyways, I like what I've seen and hope to check out the Mosque, here, in Halifax.

I'm a little scared though of converting for several reasons: When I become a Muslim, will I have to let go/give up on these things: listening to non-muslim music? Reading Men's Health magazines? Can I still work out at the gym? What about going to the movies? Do I have to have a full beard or is my goatee acceptable? Do I have to wear the head covering for men?

I have one more thing that's very important, if anyone can help . . . I am currently married and she is . . . simply put, a heathen/pagan to the first power. I am hoping that when I revert to Islam and become a strong Muslim man, that the goodness in me will convert her. If she continues to be "ungodly", what are my options?

Nice to meet everyone and hope to make a lot of friends here!

Alaykum Asalamu! (Is this right?)

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Welcome to TTI,
Inshallah (God willing ) when you become a muslim, you find that things aren't all that differcult when you have a strong faith.
You will still be able to go to the gym and work out as long as you and the men with you are dressed decently , which means to be covered between the knee and navel. Health magazines also should be no problem.

As for the beard inshallah the brothers can advise you about that , my husband has a beard and keeps it short and tidy.

As for western music it would be harram to listen to, because of the musical instruments and suggestive nature of thier songs.

Concerning your wife, I hope the other brothers and sisters will be able to answer you on that,
I hope for you all the best and that you will make a lot of friends ,inshallah ,here and be sucessful in this life and the here after Ameen

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Welcome!

I am pleased knowing that you can see the beauty of Islam. I will leave the rest to others and will just say that Islam is worth going through some discipline as one of its meaning is "submission" and thats when its true fruit can be felt.

May the help of Allah be with you and show you the right path. Ameen

Ashima33

Salaam Adam,

What I have to say... some people may not like... but what is great about TTI is that you will definitely get a wide variety of answers and advice. I would highly recommend that you take note of what everyone here advises, but also know that it is important for you to do most of the research involving each of these issues and Islam on your own. These are issues that many people struggle with being "right" or "wrong" and ultimately everything is between you and Allah. No human is allowed to judge you for the decisions you make with these issues, because we all have issues of our own to focus on. When I first started looking into Islam I was a bit turned off because I felt that there was too much of an emphasis on Judgement Day. After a while I came to realize that Judgement Day is actually a gift from Allah, because it makes so that Judgement is for no one but Allah. And we humans are here to have nothing but love and compassion for each other to help us get through life. (I know... sounds like a care bear movie).

So... I guess to sum it up... I'm just trying to say I don't think you should let these issues keep you from converting, but definitely do a lot of research on your own. And talk/pray to God about these things as well. You will gain clarity.

=)

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum,

When I become a Muslim, will I have to let go/give up on these things:

listening to non-muslim music?

no to music:SMILY286:

Reading Men's Health magazines?

Dont know. I havent read one. If it contains objectionable pictures, yes. If not, you may continue using it

Can I still work out at the gym?

YES. It is advisable. You get reward from Allah (subhanau wa ta'ala)for keeping our body fit. One is instructed not to do injustice to one's body:SMILY149:

What about going to the movies?
No to most movies.:astag:

Do I have to have a full beard or is my goatee acceptable?
Full beard better

Do I have to wear the head covering for men?
Not necessary (according to most scholars)

My advice: Take it slow and easy. But persevere. Allah will guide you to truth , Insha Allah (If He wills). You will inevitably come accross trials and difficulties.

Allah says in the Holy Qur'an
On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. 2:286

I strongly support your plan to visit the nearest mosque.

A revert brother can possibly help you a lot. One finds many in mosques of western countries nowadays, Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah)

Keep us posted of your progress. You will find plenty of knowledgeable brothers and sisters here who will be more than willing to help you out.

Wassalam

abuayesha

Assalaamu Alaikum

Abu Lukman has given a nice answer. Alhamdulillaah.

Finally it is between you and your Creator.

Wassalaam

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Alhumdulilah.....

How cool is this brother! Welcome to TTI.

Don't worry about what you have to do and what you have to give up, it what you will gain that counts. You will slowly change inside and out, it will be an awesome transformation. Some of the things you are worrying about, you won't even consider later on. Step by step....seek knowledge and so the shahada as soon as you really believe. All other things will follow in their time.

As for you wife, that is really up to you. IF she makes your life pure.....h.....then, you have options. But don't rush into anything, just let yourself change and maybe she will come right along with you. She may be involved in paganism, because she is searching and not all that happy. In sha allah all will be fine.

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

I just wish to have non-muslims to realise how close to God one can be once they revert or convert to Islam, And how overwhelming can it feel.

Unfortunately, Most born-muslims and even some reverts lose that feeling from time to time due to the pressures or seductions of life.

May Allah guide us and bring us all closer to HIM.

shichemlydia

welcome....

salam alikoum,
welcome to islam and the website, we honestly ask allah swt to enable you to get rid of that things, the prophet mohamed pbuoh said "if someone leaves something to please allah swt , thel allah swt will replace him better than that". music and that sort of things are nothing compared with the mercy of allah and his paradise, if music is tasty, believe me praying in the middle of the night is tastyier....try it. as a muslim, you will enjoy submitting yourself to allh, because you know that he is the creator and he is the sustainer, and he is the one who deserve worship.....
for the wife, try to bring her with you, and she will enjoy it so much, and she will recognise that women have a great value in islam.
hope to see your coming posts.
wa salam alikoum

a_stranger

:salam2:
I think the first thing when man come to Islam is that he is steping in a wide unlimited mercy of our creator (something is felt by heart) , then don`t rush the most important thing in Islam is to believe with all your heart in the one creator (Allah) love the most love him with most humility and believe in his prophet Mohammad salla Allah alaihi wa salam ( and all the prophets alaihim alsalam) then start praying , and i pray to Allah to help step by step to do all that pleases him swt. Islam makes our journey on earth the most pure, noble,meaningful.

Shahzad

welcome brother..

When will u develop the love of Prophet (SAW) in ur heart, all these things wll be easier for u rathern being forced upon u.

Ask any scholar for these as they are pretty important in one's life.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

MY DEAR BROTHER IN ISLAM -
YOU DONT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING IN ISLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UNLESS YOU WANT IT.
SO SAY ONE DOESNOT HAVE TO BE MUSLIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless he wants to be.
so why does a person become a muslim,because he sees the beuty the wisdom the peace and reward associated with it.
but many people dont see any beauty in islam that you see.
in the same way many people see the inner beauty,the hidden wisdom and the satisfaction one derivres in the acts of obedience like keeping a beard,not watching movies,or not listening to music.
you will reach that level inshallah.
if you knew that tomorrow was the last day of your life would you have any issues in obeying Allah Almighty -in return for His eternal pleasure.
so then my brother whether i know it or not whether you know it or not- tomorrow we die.and when you die you die alone.
then see i have been wisened up by accidents,heart breaks and other stuff.
now everytime i watch a movie by chance i scream liars -how they work at corrupting our minds so that they can consume us because they dont see us as humans having a right to Remember our Lord ,but as consumers who must consume until they are consumed.
just remember ROCKY in his early movies and now what the will of Allah has done to him and when he dies what goes with him.i remember the scene in rambo when he walks in' {the first part } and then the last part rambo 4 when all he looks is like a old granny with years of hardwork wasted and only traces of botox where once anabolics flowed thru the veins. a sad sight.this is what self or people worship can do to man.
in islam what we do is for Allah .so you just need to be strong -and how Hazrat khalid bin waleed a companion of the prophet <saw> broke nine swords in combat at the battle of muta.at another famed battle he crushed a roman general to death when he had no sword -with his bare hands and that general was called a giant.
but when we people worship you see people in the gym with triceos ,biceps and what not chiseled out like the statue or idol for everyone to be attracted to and yet only they know what they are-and at what cost.
similarly music is detrimental that is it is detri-to your mental health.we muslims believe in living in this world because we know no matter how hard it is temporary.and then we get paid for it.by Him who pays like no one CAN.
unlike disbelievers who try to escape to a fantasy world where they have refuge thru music and movies.and self importance thru a development of non core muscles the show offvalue.
i might sound bitter because now when i look at my normal life back then-0 i really weep for the simplicity and beauty of islam ,its wonderful and tranquil teachings that i left fot some moving images on the screen -that i subconciously lived -and some clatter and noise that people made with their crying hearts devoid of ALLAH pleasure and call music.

alhamdullillah now i get a headache whenever i accidentaly listen to music or see some image -and otherwise for the MBA that i am pursuing my life is a ship on tranquil seas and sometimes thru stormy ones but atleast i know its me now ,at peace and real.alhamdulillah.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

do search for the stories of 'the companions of the prophet' i found on scribd.com and quran is also there you can download.
you can google
there is an e book for hazrat khalid
it is called 'khalid the sword of Allah' google it

lastly as long as you are inclined to watch movies -there are some mindblowingly good ones at
www.harunyahya.com

and best of prayers.
readingislam.com