Dream???

maryjo

I have based the past few years of my life on a dream-not just any dream but what i saw after praying Istikhara prayer.
as all muslims should do when approached with an important decision,like marraige, is what i did.
in my dream, i saw myself standing at the top of a mini tower, maybe 5 or 6 meters high, looking down on the rest of the people. I then see the person i did the istikhara for, standing and talking to two other girls.
i drew myself back so he didnt see me, and a moment later i looked back down again and didnt see anybody. then i caught a glimpse of someone running up to me on the stairs (the stairs went around the tower)
i became anxoius and nervous and started saying to myself no, i cant beleive it, (in this dream i was conscious that the person coming up the staris was the answer to my istikhara---weird?!)
i felt a little dissapointed in the dream. i stood waiting for him to appear.
it was to my surprise that it wasnt him but another guy,someone i knew very well. he approached me and put his hand around my shoulder and had something hidden under his jacket. he pulled me close to him so that no one would see what he was going to show me, and then pulled out a picture- it was a picture of me and him together.
i woke up and was very confused-i came to the conclusion that that other guy was who i was meant to be with. Am i crazy????? i have rejected every guy from that day on, many of which were good in every way. i am still waiting for him---but i fear that i might have misunderstood and waiting for a lost cause
what do u think?

:salam2:

sal12

Asslamu alaykum,
It's probably best to ask an imaam about the dream. The dream does seem quite obvious and you saw the dream after istikhara but the best thing to do is to ask an imam as they may have more knowledge than any of us about dreams!

maryjo

Asslamu alaykum,
It's probably best to ask an imaam about the dream. The dream does seem quite obvious and you saw the dream after istikhara but the best thing to do is to ask an imam as they may have more knowledge than any of us about dreams!
thx alot and baraka Allah fik! i really appreciate ur advice.
but i dont know any imam's, and even if i did i would be to shy to ask him face to face. Is there such thing as an online imam who one could talk to u? or maybe any of u on TTI know one and would be so kind to ask him for me.
Salamu alykum!

swtangel45

thx alot and baraka Allah fik! i really appreciate ur advice.
but i dont know any imam's, and even if i did i would be to shy to ask him face to face. Is there such thing as an online imam who one could talk to u? or maybe any of u on TTI know one and would be so kind to ask him for me.
Salamu alykum!

Asalamu Alaikum,
you can go on this website, and click on the Ask a question section, Mufti Nawal-ur-Rehman is the one that answers. Hes solved many related situations.

www.shariahboard.com

abdullah khan

I don't understand how someone can base their life around dreams.

Assalamu Alaikum,brother plz read this inshallah

Istikhara Prayer
Praise be to Allaah.

Istikhaarah prayer is a Sunnah which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prescribed for anyone who wants to do an action but is hesitant about it. Discussion of Istikhaarah prayer covers eight points:

1- Definition

2- Ruling

3- The wisdom behind prescribing it

4- Reasons for it

5- When Istikhaarah should be started

6- Consulting people before praying istikhaarah

7- What should be recited in istikhaarah

8- When should the du’aa’ be recited?

1 – Definition

Istikhaarah in Arabic means seeking guidance to make a decision concerning something. It is said in Arabic Istakhir Allaaha yakhir laka (Seek guidance from Allaah and He will guide you (to the right decision)). In sharee’ah terminology, Istikhaarah means seeking guidance (to the right decision), i.e., seeking guidance as to what Allaah knows is the best and most appropriate choice, by means of prayer or the du’aa’ narrated concerning Istikhaarah.

2 – Ruling

The scholars are unanimously agreed that Istikhaarah is Sunnah. The evidence that it is prescribed is the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari from Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said:

“The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to teach his companions to make istikhaarah in all matters, just as he used to teach them soorahs from the Qur’aan. He said: ‘If any one of you is deliberating about a decision he has to make, then let him pray two rak’ahs of non-obligatory prayer, then say: Allaahumma inni astakheeruka bi ‘ilmika wa astaqdiruka bi qudratika wa as’aluka min fadlika, fa innaka taqdiru wa laa aqdir, wa ta’lamu wa laa a’lam, wa anta ‘allaam al-ghuyoob. Allaahumma fa in kunta ta’lamu haadha’l-amra (then the matter should be mentioned by name) khayran li fi ‘aajil amri wa aajilihi (or: fi deeni wa ma’aashi wa ‘aaqibati amri) faqdurhu li wa yassirhu li thumma baarik li fihi. Allaahumma wa in kunta ta’lamu annahu sharrun li fi deeni wa ma’aashi wa ‘aaqibati amri (or: fi ‘aajili amri wa aajilihi) fasrifni ‘anhu [wasrafhu ‘anni] waqdur li al-khayr haythu kaana thumma radini bihi (O Allaah, I seek Your guidance [in making a choice] by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allaah, if in Your knowledge, this matter (then it should be mentioned by name) is good for me both in this world and in the Hereafter (or: in my religion, my livelihood and my affairs), then ordain it for me, make it easy for me, and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it).”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari in several places in his Saheeh (1166).

3 – The wisdom behind prescribing it:

The reason why Istikhaarah is prescribed is that it is submission to the command of Allaah and a practical demonstration that one has no power and no strength of one’s own. It means turning to Allaah and seeking to combine the goodness of this world and of the Hereafter. In order to achieve that, one has to knock at the door of the King, Allaah, may He be glorified, and there is nothing more beneficial in this regard than salaah (prayer) and du’aa’ (supplication), because they involve venerating Allaah, praising Him and expressing one’s need for Him. Then after praying istikhaarah one should do that which one feels is best.

4 – Reasons for it:

In what circumstances should one pray istikhaarah? The four madhhabs are agreed that istikhaarah is prescribed in cases where a person does not know the right decision to make. In matters where it is known whether a thing is good or bad, such as acts of worship, doing good deeds, sins or evil actions, there is no need to pray istikhaarah in these cases. But if a person wants to find out the right time to do something, such as whether to do Hajj this year, because there is the possibility of encountering an enemy or some tribulation, or whether to go with a certain person or not, then he may pray istikhaarah with regard to such decisions. But there is no room for Istikhaarah when it comes to things that are obligatory, haraam or makrooh. Rather Istikhaarah has to do with things that are recommended or permissible. Istikhaarah is not ordinarily required with regard to things that are recommended, rather it should be done in cases where there is a conflict, i.e., when a person has a choice of two things and must decide which one to start with or which one not to do. With regard to permissible things, he may pray Istikhaarah as a regular matter.

5 – When should he start praying Istikhaarah?

The person who wants to pray Istikhaarah should have an open mind, and not have decided on a specific course of action. The phrase “If any one of you is deliberating” indicates that Istikhaarah should be prayed when one starts to think of the matter, when through the blessing of prayer and du’aa’ what is good will become clear to him, in contrast to when the idea has taken root and his resolve to do it is firm, in which case his inclination will sway him, and there is the fear that wisdom may not prevail because he is inclined to do that which he has already decided to do. It may be that which is meant by deliberation here is resolve, because a passing thought does not matter. And a person should not pray istikhaarah except when he has decided to do something but does not have a strong inclination towards it. Otherwise, if a person were to pray Istikhaarah for every thought that crosses his mind, he would never stop and he would waste all his time doing that.

6 – Consulting others before praying istikhaarah

Al-Nawawi said: It is mustahabb, before praying istikhaarah, to consult someone whom you knows is sincere, caring and has experience, and who is trustworthy with regard to his religious commitment and knowledge. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and consult them in the affairs” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:159]

7 – What is to be recited in Salaat al-Istikhaarah

There are three opinions as to what should be recited in Salaat al-Istikhaarah:

(a) The Hanafis, Maalikis and Shaafa’is said that it is mustahabb, after reciting al-Faatihah, to recite Qul yaa ayyuha’l-kaafiroon in the first rak’ah and Qul huwa Allaahu ahad in the second. Al-Nawawi said, explaining the reason for that: It is appropriate to recite these in prayer, to show sincerity and expressing your leaving your affairs to Allaah. They said that it is also permissible to add other verses from Qur’aan where the context refers to the idea of making a choice or decision.

(b) Some of the Salaf said that in praying istikhaarah it is good to add, after reciting al-Faatihah, the following verses in the first rak’ah:

“And your Lord creates whatsoever He wills and chooses, no choice have they (in any matter). Glorified is Allaah, and exalted above all that they associate (as partners with Him).

And your Lord knows what their breasts conceal, and what they reveal.

And He is Allaah; Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), all praises and thanks be to Him (both) in the first (i.e. in this world) and in the last (i.e. in the Hereafter). And for Him is the Decision, and to Him shall you (all) be returned”

[al-Qasas 28:68 – interpretation of the meaning]

And the following verse in the second rak’ah:

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”

[al-Ahzaab 33:36 – interpretation of the meaning]

(c) The Hanbalis and some of the fuqaha’ did not say that any particular verses are to be recited when praying Istikhaarah.

8 – When one should pray Istikhaarah

The Hanafis, Maalikis, Shaafa’is and Hanbalis stated that the du’aa’ should be recited immediately after the prayer. This is in accordance with what was stated in the hadeeth narrated from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). See al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, part 3, p. 241.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra: Part 2, p. 265 Question concerning Du’aa’ al-Istikhaarah: should this du’aa’ be recited during salaah (prayer) or after saying the salaam? The answer is that it is permissible to recite the du’aa’ of istikhaarah before or after the salaam, whether you are praying salaat al-istikhaarah or another prayer. Reciting du’aa’ before the salaam is preferable, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to recite a lot of du’aa’ before the salaam, and the worshipper before saying the salaam still in a state of prayer, so it is better to recite the du’aa’ then.

And Allaah knows best

Islam Q&A

hassana elkoussi

:salam2:sister maryjo, i don't see how you should be basing your life on a dream, especially that there's no indication whatsoever that this other guy is planning to have u as his wife. I would've agreed with you if he was also proposing and u had to choose one of them. Besides , ther's nothing in the istikhara hadith which says that it should be followed by a dream. I've asked so many scholars about this myself & they all agreed that you should be as objective as possible after istikharah. At the same time, if the matter for which you're doing istikharah gets too complicated , then you shouldn't pursue it, even if u feel like it.And, on the contrary, if the matter goes on smoothly withoout any obstacles, then go for it & that will probably be the best thing that Allah swt has chosen for u. My advice for you, is to give yourself another chance and do istikhara whenever someone proposes & make sure that if that guy of your dream is meant to be your husband, he WILL be no matter what. Place your trust in Allah and i wish u all the best. :salam2:

maryjo

Thank u all for ur advice, especially Hassana. I am starting to think the same way and i do istikhara for every decent guy that comes around. I have turned down alot of good muslim guys and i pray to Allah that i have not sinned in doin so and that i will not regret it. Anyway as is said that each one of us has his share in this life and what is maktoob for u is ur destiny.
I place all my trust in Allah who created me and gave me everything that i have. All i ask from Allah swt is serenity and a pure heart.
Assalamu Alykum!!!

abu'muhammad

(Hope not too long.)

:salam2:

Praise be to Allaah.

Note that the things people see in their sleep may come under one of two categories :

1 – Dreams/visions

2 – Confused dreams

Confused dreams in turn are divided into two categories:

1 – The Shaytaan’s attempts to frighten

2 – The workings of the subconscious.

So it may be said that what people see in their dreams may be divided into three categories:

1- Visions or dreams that come from Allaah.

2- Attempts by the Shaytaan to frighten us

3- The workings of the subconscious.

These categories are indicated by the hadeeth narrated in Saheeh Muslim (no. 2263) from Abu Hurayrah, which says that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the time (of the Day of Resurrection) draws near, a believer's dream will hardly be false. And the truest vision will be of one who is himself the most truthful in speech, for the vision of a Muslim is the forty-fifth part of Prophecy, and dreams are of three types:

the good dream which is glad tidings from Allah;

the bad dream which causes distress, which is from the Shaytaan;

and the dream which represents what a person is thinking about.

So if any one of you sees a dream which he does not like he should get up and pray, and not tell people about his dream…”

It was narrated from ‘Awf ibn Maalik that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: some are terrifying things from the Shaytaan, aimed at causing grief to the son of Adam; some are things that a person is concerned with when he is awake, so he sees them in his dreams; and some are a part of the forty-six parts of Prophecy.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3155)

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: glad tidings from Allaah, what is on a person’s mind, and frightening dreams from the Shaytaan. If any of you sees a dream that he likes, let him tell others of it if he wishes, but if he sees something that he dislikes, he should not tell anyone about it, and he should get up and pray.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3154)

There follow a number of saheeh ahaadeeth which describe how to deal with what one sees in one’s dream.

1 – It was narrated that Abu Qutaadah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Good dreams come from Allaah and bad dreams come from the Shaytaan. If anyone sees a bad dream that scares him, let him spit drily to his left and seek refuge with Allaah from its evil, then it will not harm him.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3292)

2 – It was narrated that Abu Salamah said: I used to see such terrible dreams that that I began to shake and have a fever, but did not cover myself with a cloak until I met Abu Qutaadah, and I mentioned that to him. He said, “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘Good dreams come from Allaah and bad dreams come from the Shaytaan. If anyone sees a bad dream that he dislikes, let him spit drily to his left three times and seek refuge with Allaah from its evil, then it will not harm him.’”

(Narrated by Muslim, 2261)

3 – It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees a dream that he dislikes, let him turn over, and spit drily to his left three times and ask Allaah of His goodness, and seek refuge with Him from its evil.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah).

4 – It was narrated from Jaabir that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees a dream that he dislikes, let him spit drily to his left three times and seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan three times, and turn over onto his other side.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 2262).

5 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us the difference between good dreams and bad dreams. It was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri that he heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “If any one of you sees a dream that he likes, it is from Allaah, so let him praise Allaah for it and tell people about it. But if he sees something other than that, that he dislikes, it is from the Shaytaan, so let him seek refuge with Allaah from its evil and not mention it to anyone, for it will not harm him.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 7045).

So it is clear that good dreams come from Allaah and bad dreams which a person dislikes come from the Shaytaan, so he has to seek refuge with Allaah from their evil.

6 – It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees something that he dislikes, let him get up and pray, and not tell people about it.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 2263).

7 – It was narrated from Jaabir that a Bedouin came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “I dreamt that my head was cut off and I was chasing it.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) rebuked him and said: “Do not tell anyone how the Shaytaan is messing about with you in your dreams.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 2268)

So we may sum up from these ahaadeeth the most important points about what a person should do if he sees a dream that he dislikes, as follows:

1- He should know that this dream is from the Shaytaan who wants to cause him grief, so he should annoy the Shaytaan by not paying any attention to him.

2- He should seek refuge with Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan.

3- He should seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of this dream.

4- He should spit drily to his left three times, i.e., blowing with a little bit of saliva.

5- He should not tell anyone about it.

6- He should turn over from the side on which he was sleeping, so if he was lying on his left side he should turn over to his right side, and vice versa.

7- He should get up and pray.

If a person adheres to this etiquette, then we hope that this bad dream will not harm him, as it says in the texts. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

maryjo

Hi girls!
I actually found a sheikh that interprets dreams and i want to ask him to interpret this one for me. But it has to be written in arabic and i dont have an arabic keyboard, so is anyone able to translate it for me?
Thx and salam!