Dua while driving/travelling

Precious Star

This weekend I went to another city to celebrate with a bunch of ladies my friend's upcoming wedding. It was a girls-only weekend. I was the oldest one there.

Today I was driving back to my city. Long drive, over 2 hours. I remembered my mom always telling me about the prayer of the traveller is always answered.

So while driving alone on the lonely highway, I made dua and asked Allah to please reach in and read my heart, heal my past wounds, and finally at my age of 42 for my life to blossom like a rose garden. I asked Him to bring me the ones who will love me and cherish me, because I know someday my mother won't be here so I won't have anyone to care about me or ask about me. I asked Allah that my parents are happy with whomever is brought into my life. I asked Allah to close the lonely dark chapter of my life and replace it now with light and joy. At Arafat time in 2010 I made so much dua to Allah but I did not see results at that time or even after, but today I asked Allah to please reconsider those dua i made in 2010 at Arafat time and answer them (i wasnt in Arafat, i was here, but i made dua anyway). At the same time, I asked Allah to give me the best for this life and the next.

Do you think Allah heard me? Do you think that He will respond? I'm hurting a lot these days, and sometimes I really do try to accept that I have no one to talk to or who cares about me. But many times, I still feel tempted to ask Allah for change in my life.

So today, on that lonely rainy highway, I poured my heart into my requests to Allah.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleikum

May Allah hear you and answer you with the best of answers.

"Allah [Alone] is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs [for us]. So they returned with Grace and Bounty from Allah. No harm touched them; and they followed the good Pleasure of Allah. And Allah is the Owner of Great Bounty." [Qur'an 3:173-74)
“…And if you are grateful, He approves it for you…” (Qur’an, 39:7)

Umm Abdullah

Assalamu aleykum dear sister.

I pray that you are in the best of Iman and health.

I remembered this hadeth when I read you post: Narrated by Abu Sa'id al-Khudri:" The Prophet (saws) said, "Any Muslim who makes a supplication containing nothing which is sinful, or which involves breaking ties of relationship, will be given for it by Allah of three things: He will give him swift answer, or store it up for him in the next world, or turn away from him an equivalent amount of evil." (Al-Tirmidhi Hadith (2257)

I will advise you to be persistent and patient in your ad'iyaa.I know that it is easier said than done, but ask Allah to make it easy for you in sha Allah. The best time to make dua is the last third of the night, during sajdah, after the obligatory prayers etc. The dua of the parent for their child is also answered, so ask your mother to make dua for you :)

"(..) and despair not of relief from Allah. Indeed, no one despairs of relief of Allah except the disbelieving people"(surah Yusuf:87)

Precious Star

Assalamu aleykum dear sister.

I pray that you are in the best of Iman and health.

I remembered this hadeth when I read you post: Narrated by Abu Sa'id al-Khudri:" The Prophet (saws) said, "Any Muslim who makes a supplication containing nothing which is sinful, or which involves breaking ties of relationship, will be given for it by Allah of three things: He will give him swift answer, or store it up for him in the next world, or turn away from him an equivalent amount of evil." (Al-Tirmidhi Hadith (2257)

I will advise you to be persistent and patient in your ad'iyaa.I know that it is easier said than done, but ask Allah to make it easy for you in sha Allah. The best time to make dua is the last third of the night, during sajdah, after the obligatory prayers etc. The dua of the parent for their child is also answered, so ask your mother to make dua for you :)

"(..) and despair not of relief from Allah. Indeed, no one despairs of relief of Allah except the disbelieving people"(surah Yusuf:87)

Yes my mother makes lots of dua for me, but she also says that some people are meant to be happy, some people are meant to be lonely; we are meant to cry, we are meant to laugh, but for some people Allah has destined more tears than laughter.

So the dua from the parent for the child is NOT always answered. Sometimes the answer is no. My mother has made dua for me since I was a young university student. Now I am old and she is old, and my father is old. When I girl is over 40, the dua's for marriage, family and happiness never come true.

I often wonder, what will happen when my mother is no longer here? she is 75 years old. There will be no one at all to ask about me, to care about me. Is that what life is supposed to be like? I know my duty is to take care of her, but she also is kind and asks me how I am, if I am travelling she will tell me to be careful, she offers loving words to me. At night before I sleep I call her and we talk for a few minutes. When she is gone, who will I have?

This is why I beseeched Allah on the dark highway yesterday. Surely, this is not what Islam has envisioned for women? When I ask my mother about such things, she does not want to talk about it, she just says keep making dua and maybe you won't die alone someday.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
I often wonder, what will happen when my mother is no longer here? she is 75 years old. There will be no one at all to ask about me, to care about me. Is that what life is supposed to be like? I know my duty is to take care of her, but she also is kind and asks me how I am, if I am travelling she will tell me to be careful, she offers loving words to me. At night before I sleep I call her and we talk for a few minutes. When she is gone, who will I have?

We all wonder, you're not alone. Should her time come to pass (InshaAllah, I pray you have many more years together), you are not alone in that either. Cherish those words, seek those duas because they don't have any equivalent in their absence. When they are gone, you will have echoes, and memories, and you will have a life ahead of you with much more perspective, in the sense that every act you engage in, your deceased parents are a part of. Your good deeds reap rewards for them. And so ultimately, as you do now, you will have Allah, who instils in you the strength to bear the burdens we deem challenging. They certainly are, but if we didn't have the capacity, we would never endure them.

Precious Star

When they are gone, you will have echoes, and memories, and you will have a life ahead of you with much more perspective, in the sense that every act you engage in, your deceased parents are a part of. .

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying here. Yes I will have memories but why would I want to live in the past, once my mother is deceased? My deceased parents will be deceased; they won't be around to keep me company or provide comfort or support as I keep growing older.

Karima80

InshAllah your duas will be answered. And as you wrote maybe some peoples destiny is loneliness or more tears. But we can only compare that with people in this world what loneliness or if someone laughs more or less, but that is a comparison from outside we don't know what people are going through inside.
What I'm trying to say is I/You may feel I'm/you are lonely but for someone else they see us blessed for having a mother and a father. So be thankful for what we have even if it feels small compare to what we wish for. And it is never to late for marriage, it may be more unlikely according to our worlds standard but who knows, except Allah
:hijabi:

Mahzala

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying here. Yes I will have memories but why would I want to live in the past, once my mother is deceased? My deceased parents will be deceased; they won't be around to keep me company or provide comfort or support as I keep growing older.

Exactly my point. I didn't mean for you to live in the past, undoubtedly, it is hard moving on when you lose someone, and their loss will always be a part of you, but that doesn't mean you're living in the past. Neither can you entirely 'close' a chapter as such, that is not realistic either. Anyhow, I don't want to delve into it, it's not necessary.

InshaAllah you find the companionship your heart desires and has been waiting for, and may you enjoy many more years, with faith, with your loved ones.

Precious Star

Has anyone here lost a parent? If so, how did YOU move on? Especially knowing that from this point forward, there will be no one who will care about you, living in an empty house, no one to ask about you? As my mother's daughter I will always make dua for her, even after she dies, but there will be no one to make dua for me, in my life or after. How did you deal with this situation??? (This is the problem with muslims moving to non-muslim countries -- they leave their children all alone once they die).

sultanb

Do you think Allah heard me? Do you think that He will respond? I'm hurting a lot these days, and sometimes I really do try to accept that I have no one to talk to or who cares about me. But many times, I still feel tempted to ask Allah for change in my life.

So today, on that lonely rainy highway, I poured my heart into my requests to Allah.

Of course Allah heard you.
WaAllahu samee'un. [...] And Allah is Hearing and Knowing. 3:34

And remember the favor of Allah upon you and His covenant with which He bound you when you said, "We hear and we obey"; and fear Allah . Indeed, Allah is Knowing of that within the breasts. 5;7

Allah always answers to those who supplicate only to Him.
To Him [alone] is the supplication of truth. And those they call upon besides Him do not respond to them with a thing, except as one who stretches his hands toward water [from afar, calling it] to reach his mouth, but it will not reach it [thus]. And the supplication of the disbelievers is not but in error [i.e. futility]. 13:14

And He answers [the supplication of] those who have believed and done righteous deeds and increases [for] them from His bounty. But the disbelievers will have a severe punishment. 42:26

We just can't hear the response, but maybe we just need to pay attention to our surroundings.
[ Allah ] said, "Your supplication has been answered." So remain on a right course and follow not the way of those who do not know." 10:89

Of course you'll always have someone who cares about you.
O you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with the patient. 2.153

Precious Star

Allah always answers to those who supplicate only to Him.

Of course you'll always have someone who cares about you.
O you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with the patient. 2.153

I am muslim - I would supplicate only to Him - who else would I supplicate to?

My fear is that Allah has already answered all of my supplications, and the answer is no. I'm not talking about the next life, I'm talking about this life, the one I am living right now.

Who will I have who cares about me and keeps me company? Allah is with all of us, He is omnipotent, but it is wrong to equate Allah SWT with human company. Allah is not a "who"; Allah is divinity. We cannot say that Allah SWT is the same as a human being who provides us with love and comfort, who drives us to the doctor if we are sick, who makes us tea if we have had a bad day, who will help pay our bills if we don't have any money, who will put their arm around us if we are being abused by someone else or we are frightened.

sultanb

Not questioning who you supplicate to sister, just reminding you that Allah answers you, since you asked the question if He will respond.

Why do you fear that the answer is "no" when you have no knowledge of the answer or the ability to hear it?

Human company does not equate to care. If I am old, unable to do anything, and being given care, it is standard procedure that the nurse asks me how I am, how I am feeling everyday. But that's it. I'd rather hold on to the idea that I am among those Allah loves because so-and-so deeds etc.

Indeed, Allah loves those who rely [upon Him].

I hope I don't come off as offensive and I'm not trying to be. I'm answering sincerely from your posts because I care about you and your feelings too sister. I have gone that path of loneliness, and even through depression. I am surrounded by people but I felt so alone. It was the worst 1-2 years of my life.

Anyway, if my response/posts offend you, I'm sorry.

Precious Star

Not questioning who you supplicate to sister, just reminding you that Allah answers you, since you asked the question if He will respond.

Why do you fear that the answer is "no" when you have no knowledge of the answer or the ability to hear it?

Human company does not equate to care. If I am old, unable to do anything, and being given care, it is standard procedure that the nurse asks me how I am, how I am feeling everyday. But that's it. I'd rather hold on to the idea that I am among those Allah loves because so-and-so deeds etc.

Indeed, Allah loves those who rely [upon Him].

I hope I don't come off as offensive and I'm not trying to be. I'm answering sincerely from your posts because I care about you and your feelings too sister. I have gone that path of loneliness, and even through depression. I am surrounded by people but I felt so alone. It was the worst 1-2 years of my life.

Anyway, if my response/posts offend you, I'm sorry.

Oh no I'm not offended at all brother! Thank you for your reply. I just didn't understand it.

Yes, a nurse will ask about you if you are hospitalized. I agree with that. But the nurse is an employee. You want someone in your life who cares from the inside, not because they are getting paid to ask you. Unfortunately, I am not surrounded by people like you are , and once my mother is gone there will be no one.

I feel that Allah has given me His answer due to my age. Its too late for me to have a family of my own but still I keep praying. That was what I meant when I said I think Allah has given me His answer. Its like, lets say you know someone who has cancer, and you pray that they recover, but then the cancer spreads and the person dies -- well, you know Allah has answered "no", right?

Life is very harsh and there are not a lot of options for muslims in a non-muslim country. But still I pray for a little sunshine now and then.

Mahzala

Has anyone here lost a parent? If so, how did YOU move on? Especially knowing that from this point forward, there will be no one who will care about you, living in an empty house, no one to ask about you? As my mother's daughter I will always make dua for her, even after she dies, but there will be no one to make dua for me, in my life or after. How did you deal with this situation??? (This is the problem with muslims moving to non-muslim countries -- they leave their children all alone once they die).

Life may seem like it stops when you lose someone, but what we tend to forget is, it has stopped for them, not for us. For us, it may be a life with new perspective, especially at the loss of a parent. As I said earlier, their presence will no longer be your companion, nor their duas your support, but how you deal with it is to always remember, that your actions have an impact on them, today, tomorrow and forever afterwards. Your good reaps them rewards. You can never move on from their loss, you move ahead in your life for your own sake, for your own sanity, security and success. You need to, and you will. No one can tell you how to deal with it as such, you figure that along the way, on your own, unfortunately. Yes, there is support, but there are no 1, 2, 3s as to how you move on.

And one more thing, just by mentally preparing yourself for a loss of such nature, doesn't make it any easier to bear. Allah will give you the capacity to deal with your burdens at the time He places them on You. So I guess, what I'm saying is, instead of focusing on the unthis and unthat, think of this's and the that's that are in your life.

I pray InshaAllah, with the rising of the sun, your sunshine to be waiting for you, in one form or another, everyday, for your life to come.

sultanb

Oh no I'm not offended at all brother! Thank you for your reply. I just didn't understand it.

Yes, a nurse will ask about you if you are hospitalized. I agree with that. But the nurse is an employee. You want someone in your life who cares from the inside, not because they are getting paid to ask you. Unfortunately, I am not surrounded by people like you are , and once my mother is gone there will be no one.

I feel that Allah has given me His answer due to my age. Its too late for me to have a family of my own but still I keep praying. That was what I meant when I said I think Allah has given me His answer. Its like, lets say you know someone who has cancer, and you pray that they recover, but then the cancer spreads and the person dies -- well, you know Allah has answered "no", right?

Life is very harsh and there are not a lot of options for muslims in a non-muslim country. But still I pray for a little sunshine now and then.

Glad to read that sister.

Age ain't nothin' but a number!
He said, "My Lord, how will I have a boy when I have reached old age and my wife is barren?" The angel said, "Such is Allah ; He does what He wills." 3:40

I didn't know that you live as a minority, so yes it is a little difficult. I have faith in Allah that He will give what's best for you in dunya and akhirah. InshaAllah sister.