Dumb question

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

When a brother found out my heritage he called me a desi. I have no idea what a desi is. Could someone help me define what that is. Thanks.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I can be shy. It was in a beautiful post and would have taken away from the topic. Here it is Sunday morning and I am being very lazy. I decided to find out now. We need something simple and fun..that is why I titled the post dumb question.

ShyHijabi

Asalam aleakum,

Basically a desi is someone with a Indo/Pak/Bangladeshi background. It is not used in a prejorative context and has no negative conotation. My husband is a desi and says we shall have semi-desis. LOL

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Assalamualykum Aapa,
After a long time,
Anyways in our language Desi means : of Nation
Like If I'm an Indian and living in USA but still my culture doesn't change and still I behave like an indian then someone may call me A DESI. Lol!!!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Now not only am I southern American but a southern Asian. It is time to do something productive before I have an identity crisis.

So my sons are: Indian/Pakistani, not Pacific Islanders nor Asian, Southern Asian Native American Africian Americans. I think I just found a way to pay for their college. There is a minority in there somewhere.

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Assalaam walaikum,

Now not only am I southern American but a southern Asian. It is time to do something productive before I have an identity crisis.

So my sons are: Indian/Pakistani, not Pacific Islanders nor Asian, Southern Asian Native American Africian Americans. I think I just found a way to pay for their college. There is a minority in there somewhere.

How your sons got the dual nationality of India & Pakistan :)
Lol!!! Just kidding aapa. Convey my salam to them.
take care n do remember me in your precious du'as.
Ma'as salamah

arzafar

desi is someone born in the indian subcontinent, living in the US/canada.
their children born in the US/canda have a tough time reconciling the two lifestyles. These kids often grow up confused. Hence the term, American Born Confused Desi (ABCD). Then you have people from the subcontinent living in the subcontinent but with an american lifestyle. Such are called Confused Americanized Desi (CAD) (or burgers in pakistan).

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2:

Desh in Hindi means Country...

Deshi (Pronounced as Desi) means Anything of the country.
as opposed to foriegn.

Desi Ghee. <-basically ghee extracted from Milk rather than from vegetable Oil.
Desi Daaru <-- Indian made cheap alcohol

However, in the West, 'Desi' means someone from India/Pak/Bangla-Desh

:wasalam:

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Asalam aleakum,

Basically a desi is someone with a Indo/Pak/Bangladeshi background. It is not used in a prejorative context and has no negative conotation. My husband is a desi and says we shall have semi-desis. LOL

This is correct. And most desi's themselves call themselves that, its not a bad term.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
:salam2:

Desh in Hindi means Country...

Deshi (Pronounced as Desi) means Anything of the country.
as opposed to foriegn.

Desi Ghee. <-basically ghee extracted from Milk rather than from vegetable Oil.
Desi Daaru <-- Indian made cheap alcohol

However, in the West, 'Desi' means someone from India/Pak/Bangla-Desh

:wasalam:

This is the best answer......
DESH means country in Hindi/Urdu/Bangla....

I cant say nice thread but nice dumb question

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Assalaam walaikum,

So its ok to say you a are desi..but it is not ok to say you are a paki?

well desi is a term like you call mexican, ppl from spain etc, , you call them hispanic

since its hard to differentiate between pakistani/indian/bangladesi many times we just call each other desi :) and also usually we all speak the same language

Aisha hussain..

seeking knowledge
desi is someone born in the indian subcontinent, living in the US/canada.
their children born in the US/canda have a tough time reconciling the two lifestyles. These kids often grow up confused. Hence the term, American Born Confused Desi (ABCD). Then you have people from the subcontinent living in the subcontinent but with an american lifestyle. Such are called Confused Americanized Desi (CAD) (or burgers in pakistan).

Oh my god burger :D:D :lol: i thought iam the only one calling such people

burger families lol nice abbreviations brother :D

arzafar

desi is not a racist term , neither is paki (for me anyway). anything can be racist depending upon the person saying it.

obama is blackish. well he is fairly black but im not racist.

anyway basically
desi = local, originating from within the land/country
pardesi = foreign, originating from outside the land

so infact desis in the US/Canada are actually pardesi!!! I suppose they wanna identify themselves as desis to give themselves a sense of belonging.

desi ghee = pure ghee (white in color) that comes from milk not from grocery store or a processing plant. Food cooked in desi ghee is very tasty but without proper exercise desi ghee can be detrimental to health. I wanna visit lahore.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
desi is not a racist term , neither is paki (for me anyway). anything can be racist depending upon the person saying it.

obama is blackish. well he is fairly black but im not racist.

anyway basically
desi = local, originating from within the land/country
pardesi = foreign, originating from outside the land

so infact desis in the US/Canada are actually pardesi!!! I suppose they wanna identify themselves as desis to give themselves a sense of belonging.

desi ghee = pure ghee (white in color) that comes from milk not from grocery store or a processing plant. Food cooked in desi ghee is very tasty but without proper exercise desi ghee can be detrimental to health. I wanna visit lahore.
As-salamu 'Aleykum

...Brownish you mean...because there's NO One that's the color BlAck!..
LOL-just kiddin' akhi arzafar...My classmates have jst been gettin' on my nerves lately, 'cause we had aplications to fill out if anyone wanted summer jobs, and the aplication asks for 'Race', some of the kids are Somali, and they fall under the 'Black' category....anyways, they keep crossing the Black out and put down Brown!, 'cause as they said There is No one tht's the color 'Black'..It's funny but annoys me at the same time:biggrin:

Sister Aapa...for what it matters, I didn't know what Desi meant either:)