eating

salahdin

The Sunnats Of Eating

1. To wash both hands up to the wrists
2. To spread out the dastarkhan (table cloth)
3. To recite Bismillah
4. To eat with the right hand (unless you are incapable of)
5. To eat from that which is in front of you.
If there is a variety of food in the dastarkhan then one could eat whatever one likes. One should
stretch out his hand (in order to get the food) after the other person has drawn his hand back.
6. To eat with 3 three fingers. This helps to digest the food (scientifically proven) as a result by
eating bit by bit. It is the most efficient method of eating. Eating with five fingers and the palm of
the hand is very un-hygienic and this implies the filling of the stomach by food and the digestive
organs could be blocked, which leads to the human being's death.
7. To clean the plate, bowl, etc. and to lick the fingers.
8. To pick up and eat a fallen morsel, and not to leave the same for satan. In this way a person will
find his sustenance in abundance. According to one hadith, the fallen morsel, if taken, become
maihir (dower) for hoouries of the heaven and Allah, the Almighty would keep him and his
off springs safe from leprosy, leucoderma and lunacy.
9. Not to find fault in food.
10. Not to blow in food as a result of carbon dioxide been released.
11. Not to lean while eating.
12. To read the du'aa after the meals.
13. To get up after lifting the dastarkhan and to read the du'aa whilst lifting the dastarkhan.
14. To gargle the mouth.
15. To wash the hands after eating.
16. To recite a special du'aa after having iftar (breaking fast) or after having eaten at another
person's house.

gazkour

assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

Thanks very much for this very basic yet essencial reminder. I also wanted to point something I consider vital as well.

Unfortunately among muslims has become "normal" to overeat and overindulge becoming fat, obese, uncapable of moving and even praying properly. It's very common for a man to prefer a very big woman, so this is a sinonim of health and capability to bear children over a thin woman.
We are all very aware nowadays with the implications of obesity but still we have failed to do something about it among ourselves.

Surprisingly we don't hear much about the hadiths of our Beloved Prophet (SAWS) that mention the correct way of eating and approaching food.
I would appreciate if someone could find those and post them here since I don't have them with me just now. I just remember some of them mentioning that we should just eat until satisfied(not overfulled!) leaving even some "space" in the stomach for air and water.

I used to be overwait myself until I "discover" these hadiths and the very wrong ways we are eating today. Alhamdulillah I lost 40 kilos (about 80 pounds) just by applying them, no diets or fat free food involved!! And now Alhamdulillah I'm healthier, not lazy anymore, can play with my daughter, etc, etc. Literally my life completely changed! SubhanaAllah!

I have posted prevously some diet tips in the women( or health) section under "diet tips" title. So brothers and sisters don't hesitate and go and have a look.
May Allah guide us all and help us realise the importance of the Sunnas on before, DURING and after eating.:tti_sister:

assalamualaikum borther...i eat with my left hand....infact i do everything with my left hand...i write with my left hand....i cant change that anymore so is that a bad thing?

kayleigh

salaam,

So...if you eat with your whole hand you'll die? hahaha, funny. ten makes no sense either - whether or not you blow on hot food, you're going to breath, and still release carbon dioxide. that's just a natural bodily function. and eating food off of the floor? gross, no thanks. the rest is good info, though.

Love my islam

Assalamoalaikum
Brother podolski11 my brother is like you. He does everything with his left hand but when it comes to eating he uses his right hand. Now that you know its sunnat of our beloved prophet pbuh you should atleast try. whats there to loose. Infact you will gain. Wish you all the best. Give it a try inshaAllah.

Assalamoalaikum
Brother podolski11 my brother is like you. He does everything with his left hand but when it comes to eating he uses his right hand. Now that you know its sunnat of our beloved prophet pbuh you should atleast try. whats there to loose. Infact you will gain. Wish you all the best. Give it a try inshaAllah.

I did try once..jz once but when i ate it made me feel like i was crippled n it took so long to grab hold of the food...so i jz used the left hand

arabiantxn

I did try once..jz once but when i ate it made me feel like i was crippled n it took so long to grab hold of the food...so i jz used the left hand

:salam2: Just to let you know guys know.In the past i had hurted my right hand and had to do everything with my left one. I would say its not easy simple things like opening the front door or any knob , driving a stick shift, wearing shoes and opeing the containers are diffcult but gradually your body over comes it . heck i can even punch with my left hand . lol
seriously i would say its a not bad of an idea to train your self in useing your left hand. - may be i don't know

nadirah19

Asalam walikum,

Jazak Allah Khair for the post...i didnt know some of the points..Inshallah i will work on them....

Wsalam