Evil Eye charms

zinirah

I live in an arab country, and in many peoples car you will find either prayer beads, or a small Qur'an, or an evil eye charm. I understand that some people use these things just for decoration, but i heard some weird things people do. It's said these things are suppose to protect your car...lol. Also someone once told me that their mom wanted to throw salt over their car to protect from the evil eye. I think all these things are stupid ideas, because the only thing that can protect you from any evil eye or harm is Allah. You must ask Allah (swt) yourself before you go out of your home to protect you. Hanging up some charm thing is not going to protect you without you asking Allah to protect you from any harm sa7?

That was just on my mind. I want to know how many people actually do believe in these superstitious things. Instead of hanging the Qur'an from your mirror....you could actually recite it.

Tomtom

Banned
I live in an arab country, and in many peoples car you will find either prayer beads, or a small Qur'an, or an evil eye charm. I understand that some people use these things just for decoration, but i heard some weird things people do. It's said these things are suppose to protect your car...lol. Also someone once told me that their mom wanted to throw salt over their car to protect from the evil eye. I think all these things are stupid ideas, because the only thing that can protect you from any evil eye or harm is Allah. You must ask Allah (swt) yourself before you go out of your home to protect you. Hanging up some charm thing is not going to protect you without you asking Allah to protect you from any harm sa7?

That was just on my mind. I want to know how many people actually do believe in these superstitious things. Instead of hanging the Qur'an from your mirror....you could actually recite it.

As'alaamu Alaikkum

It's really unbelievable how many people are actually superstitious. The number is enormous, too many to count in fact. However, I think the muslims are a minority in this but I guess the number is growing. I've noticed also that most muslims tend to have the word "Allah" in Arabic stuck on their cars, I don't know if that's good or bad. Recently I had to drive a friend's car and there was this plastic figurine of Maryam stuck on the dashboard and I felt really uncomfortable.

zinirah

As'alaamu Alaikkum

It's really unbelievable how many people are actually superstitious. The number is enormous, too many to count in fact. However, I think the muslims are a minority in this but I guess the number is growing. I've noticed also that most muslims tend to have the word "Allah" in Arabic stuck on their cars, I don't know if that's good or bad. Recently I had to drive a friend's car and there was this plastic figurine of Maryam stuck on the dashboard and I felt really uncomfortable.

I have seen this also. On many cars i see it say "Allah" or "Masha'Allah". For me it's very strange, and I don't see the point in doing so. Many people do things without a reason, or without thinking.

I

IslamIsSimple

From `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz to the honorable brother, may Allah grant him success! Amen

As-salamu `alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh (May Allah's Peace, Mercy, and Blessings be upon you!)

I have received your letter dated 7/2/1390 A.H.
(Part No. 28; Page No. 283)

This includes that a woman, whose children die, asked you to inquire about the ruling on wearing amulets for protection from Satan or female Qarin (a personal Jinn companion for humans).

A: It is not permissible to wear amulets because of the Prophet's (peace be upon him) saying: If one wears an amulet, Allah will not accomplish their affairs for them.

According to another narration: Whoever wears an amulet commits an act of Shirk.
The amulets, which are called Al-Jami`ah, Hijab or Al-Hirz (protective amulet), are totally prohibited, whether they contain Ayahs of Qur'an or other writings.

The said woman is obliged to trust and depend on Allah. Whoever observes Tawakkul (putting one’s trust in Allah) sincerely, Allah is sufficient for them. It is well known that her children die according to Allah's Will not because of Satan or the female Qarin. One's death is determined by a term as Allah (Glorified be He) says: ...when their term comes, neither can they delay it nor can they advance it an hour (or a moment).

I

IslamIsSimple

I have seen this also. On many cars i see it say "Allah" or "Masha'Allah". For me it's very strange, and I don't see the point in doing so. Many people do things without a reason, or without thinking.

I agree that many, and I mean many, overdo it with hasad paranoia. Some would explain anything that goes wrong in their lives, to hasad. If a woman doesnt get marriage proposals, she says its hasad. If someone gets into a car accident, he says its hasad.

Ive even see car adds, and some of them regular cars, with the one posting the add saying "say masha'Allah"!

Some would even attribute illness to hasad, and dont go to doctors. Theres a famous person who would read Qur'aan upon people if requested (he stopped I think), he recently said that 90% (or maybe more, I forgot) of those that come to him have physical or psychological problems and should see doctors.

Some base saying "masha'Allah" on the hadeeth that says the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever sees something that he likes, and says, ‘Ma sha Allaah laa quwwata illa Billaah’, the evil eye will not affect him.” But this hadeeth is da’eef jiddan (very weak)..

Al-Haythami said: this was narrated by al-Bazzaar from the report of Abu Bakr al-Hudhali, who is da’eef jiddan (very weak). (Majma’ al-Zawaa’id, 5/21).

There is however, a hadeeth (I cant find the exact wording in English) that says if someone sees something that he likes in himself, his wealth, or his brother, then let him pray for blessings, for Al Ain (evil eye) is true. The hadeeth is classed as Sahih by Al Albani.

But yeah, we know even the Qur'aan acknowledges its existance but the way some apply the concept and make it an explanation of everything, is nothing more than superstition. It has reached a level which I think is ridiculous.

kayleigh

Charms like that are haram, to my knowledge. I agree with you - it is silly.

Many cultures have the 'evil eye' concept but it's kind of funny that the Turkish version is so popular. Here, in Chinatowns, you can find evil eye charms and jewelry everywhere. Even in mainstream stores, they put it on jewelry. I bet most people buying it here don't know the meaning behind it.

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}

asalaam aleykum,

Instead of hanging the Qur'an[

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82730

shukran.