Facebook Pulls “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!” Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdul25

Logical Believer
A Facebook Page and group which were called “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!” have been pulled from Facebook following protests, and the eventual banning of Facebook in Pakistan. In turn, a number of Facebook users decided to join new versions of the groups, but I’d expect those to be pulled eventually as well. Administrators of the new groups are claiming “Free Speech”, however the Pakistani government doesn’t seem to view things in such a positive light.

Numerous controversies have sprouted up over the years over drawings of Mohammed, including a Danish cartoonist who sparked backlash in multiple Arab countries after drawing multiple cartoons of Mohammed for a book cover. The debate over whether or not images of Mohammed should be drawn have raged on for years, but when Pakistan banned Facebook due to groups which posted such pictures, the debate was reignited. One group, succeeded at attracting over 100,000 members and more than 11,000 photos of Mohammed.
While Facebook obviously hopes Pakistan will restore access to the site, it’s difficult for the company to constantly monitor groups which post Mohammed cartoons. Facebook most definitely has a team to filter through any offensive photos, however images depicting Mohammed have never been on the ban list. It will be interesting to see if Facebook decides to ban remaining groups and pages.
For now it appears as though Facebook would prefer to block the groups for the purpose of cultural sensitivity rather than engage in a free speech debate.

http://www.allfacebook.com/2010/05/facebook-pulls-everybody-draw-mohammed-day-page/

UPDATE:

Facebook has reached out to us to let us know that they did not removed the group. While we’re not sure why it disappeared, we’d assume the creator of the group decided to pull it. We’ll update when we hear more information.

more information here :

On May 20, 2010, The Jewish Business Magazine was able to interview the creator the blog and Facebook page, Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, Andy. Andy told the Jewish Business Magazine that his goal was to create discourse and free speech in the world around Islam. He couldn’t stand the past aggressions and threats of violence by the Muslim extremist over things as stupid as the writing of the word ALA or an artistic depiction or worse, a cartoon, of Mohammed their prophet. Now, the Everybody Draw Mohammed Day creator’s computer has been hacked by an Islam extremist who calls himself, Ali Hassan.
This morning, I engaged Mr. Ali Hassan via Andy’s Skype account and asked him some questions. Ali Hassan, the hacker of Everybody Draw Mohammed Day claims he did this because he is a Muslim and offended about the depiction of his prophet, Mohammed. Hassan also claims to have Andy’s address, but did not offer any insight as to what he plans to use it for.
So once again, another person who tries to create discourse and expression for the Muslim religion is trying to be suppressed through intimidation and threats of violence. When will the rest of the world stand up to these bullies? Is the United States and Israel the only countries in the world that won’t back down from Islamic threats? Germany, France, Britain, Ireland, where is your backbone? Why do you countries continue to appease these maniacs? They threaten to kill over cartoons. They murder over movies.
The creator of Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, Andy, was trying to create discussion around Islam, and his hope was to get moderate Muslims to realize the insanity of their extremist, now he is being threatened by those extremists. It’s time for more people to stand up against these people.

P.S.
so much hateful content on this website for the muslims..

http://jewishbusinessmagazine.com/jewish-business-news/everybody-draw-mohammed-day-creator%E2%80%99s-computer-hacked/#

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
so my Pakistan is great having BOLD step!!!! whats about other Islamic countries??????
wasalam.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu:)

HAHAHA!!ppl hail your brother country caleed"PAKISTAN"mashallah:)i'm so happy....

hope this gives some ppl something to be proud of who they are:D

jazkallah khairan for sharing this newsssssssssssss!!

Valerie

Ugh, the picture that goes along with the story has guys holding signs "Behead those who insult Islam" and "Massacre those who insult Islam". That's really discouraging for me. The thing is, the page wasn't for free speech, as people are claiming, it was to get a reaction. There's a page for people praying for the death of the US president, but that seems to be perfectly okay.

People are idiots.

al-muslimah

People! Just ignore them. Don't promote for them. They are trying to provoke muslims. Let them do whatever they want. At the end of the day day, they are the uncivilized people.

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
Assalamu alaykum

I heard that the one who created that facebook page deleted it himself because "May 20th" is done...

True_Sultan

A logical believer
A Facebook Page and group which were called “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!” have been pulled from Facebook following protests, and the eventual banning of Facebook in Pakistan. In turn, a number of Facebook users decided to join new versions of the groups, but I’d expect those to be pulled eventually as well. Administrators of the new groups are claiming “Free Speech”, however the Pakistani government doesn’t seem to view things in such a positive light.

Numerous controversies have sprouted up over the years over drawings of Mohammed, including a Danish cartoonist who sparked backlash in multiple Arab countries after drawing multiple cartoons of Mohammed for a book cover. The debate over whether or not images of Mohammed should be drawn have raged on for years, but when Pakistan banned Facebook due to groups which posted such pictures, the debate was reignited. One group, succeeded at attracting over 100,000 members and more than 11,000 photos of Mohammed.
While Facebook obviously hopes Pakistan will restore access to the site, it’s difficult for the company to constantly monitor groups which post Mohammed cartoons. Facebook most definitely has a team to filter through any offensive photos, however images depicting Mohammed have never been on the ban list. It will be interesting to see if Facebook decides to ban remaining groups and pages.
For now it appears as though Facebook would prefer to block the groups for the purpose of cultural sensitivity rather than engage in a free speech debate.

http://www.allfacebook.com/2010/05/facebook-pulls-everybody-draw-mohammed-day-page/

UPDATE:

Facebook has reached out to us to let us know that they did not removed the group. While we’re not sure why it disappeared, we’d assume the creator of the group decided to pull it. We’ll update when we hear more information.

more information here :

On May 20, 2010, The Jewish Business Magazine was able to interview the creator the blog and Facebook page, Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, Andy. Andy told the Jewish Business Magazine that his goal was to create discourse and free speech in the world around Islam. He couldn’t stand the past aggressions and threats of violence by the Muslim extremist over things as stupid as the writing of the word ALA or an artistic depiction or worse, a cartoon, of Mohammed their prophet. Now, the Everybody Draw Mohammed Day creator’s computer has been hacked by an Islam extremist who calls himself, Ali Hassan.
This morning, I engaged Mr. Ali Hassan via Andy’s Skype account and asked him some questions. Ali Hassan, the hacker of Everybody Draw Mohammed Day claims he did this because he is a Muslim and offended about the depiction of his prophet, Mohammed. Hassan also claims to have Andy’s address, but did not offer any insight as to what he plans to use it for.
So once again, another person who tries to create discourse and expression for the Muslim religion is trying to be suppressed through intimidation and threats of violence. When will the rest of the world stand up to these bullies? Is the United States and Israel the only countries in the world that won’t back down from Islamic threats? Germany, France, Britain, Ireland, where is your backbone? Why do you countries continue to appease these maniacs? They threaten to kill over cartoons. They murder over movies.
The creator of Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, Andy, was trying to create discussion around Islam, and his hope was to get moderate Muslims to realize the insanity of their extremist, now he is being threatened by those extremists. It’s time for more people to stand up against these people.

P.S.
so much hateful content on this website for the muslims..

http://jewishbusinessmagazine.com/jewish-business-news/everybody-draw-mohammed-day-creator%E2%80%99s-computer-hacked/#

Like I posted before. No need to over react. chaos fixes itself..it is the law of the universe..the laws Allah created. See facebook had to remove its a violation of humans right to create something like that.

Take Care, Salam

alf2

Islam is a way of life
so my Pakistan is great having BOLD step!!!! whats about other Islamic countries??????
wasalam.

Pakistan, where people are starving on the street.
Where criminals can pay off police.

But you are happy this facebook non-sense made it to the courts? Be ashamed. That is nothing to be happy over.

Believer1985

I dont know what to think over it. I have a lot of friends on Facebook and although I hardly use it, I wouldn't want to delete my account there...but I don't know if I'm doing the wrong thing by keeping my account either. What shall I do?

As for Pakistan: I have nothing to say, except that the government there are a huge bunch of uncivilised liars and the people...I don't even want to go there. It's barely a Muslim country anymore, only by name!

Abdul25

Logical Believer

But you are happy this facebook non-sense made it to the courts? Be ashamed. That is nothing to be happy over.

rightly said but u missed many points and mentioned only 2.
:D

ovomer

salam from pakistan!

first of all thanks for the comment!!
now as muslims we shoild talk politely.
yes we all are corrupt unlike you people. as u said is quite true.
and all the shortcomings are in us.
BUT.......................... we are at the TOP by boycotting these sites officially.
YOU should appreciate that this is the only point where all pakistanis are united.
we love our prophet more and more..............
you people will not understand this point. as u people rely on nonmuslims on all the issues. you people cannot live without these sites even a single day.
YES, we can live. By boycotting, all have realized that pakistan has done something different and unique.
it is the protest my respected sister!!!!!!
at least all the muslims all over the world should appreciate this act of us.
this is the only reason we call each other wrong and nonmuslims do their job...
just think on it.
AND I AM NOT ASHAMED!!!!!! now no comment on this!!!
if i hurt u or anybody else then sorry!!!
wasalasm

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
ameen, and i know some of my muslim brothers and sisters will be annoyed on this hacking........................

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

sorry sis but i believe you took broher arzafar words way too seriously in your thread.......yes both of that happens........but i believe we pakistani do have the right to applaud the goals we achieve no matter how unimportant to you and be proud of our nation our country as an appreciable part of the ummah:)!!!

an increase GNP isn't all that is to be achieved we are forced to fight enemies from within and without.......if the rest of the world would leave us alone then i believe we'll have a better chance of filling stomachs then our weapons with ammunitions!!!

our landscape has it's strategic importance which cannot be denied.if we ever became strong anti islamist wud have a seriious threat aginst islamic cuntries becoming strong and united using Pakistan as it's helper and soldier so yeah they know who we are and what we can be.when given a chnce we have prven oursleves in science arts sports politics and religion,provided the conditions in which these achievements are mad this is sayng something:)so we are not allowed to breath the fresh air,kept in constant problems,not allowed to think about anything other then constant shadow over us.............you can't blame that nation for this!!...........fighting enemies from within and with out sisi!!!this isn't easy!!

love ya!!!

:SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252:

:wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
rightly said but u missed many points and mentioned only 2.
:D

brother i believe you sould have a lil more faith in who you are and where you came from:)!!the gender you have the family the identity the deen and your nationality is what ALLAH has chosen for you not on random basis but for a reason..........i remember your last ranting post and i believe you should think twice b4 saying you are ashamed of who you are!!!are you ashamed of what ALLAH made you!!!yes,he made you what you if you don't think your ppl are doing right then step up create an example....fishing out of the something showing your anger!!!what do you belive ppl will be thrown from the heaven to set the affairs straight...........no it's you and me and my brothers and sisters who understand who have to stand up,be proud of what ALLAH made us:)the prophet wasn't born among angels but he was never ashamed of who he was because of the ppl.he worked for wht was right till it became a surce of pride for him and his nation!!!

so yeah think twice being hopeless and ashamed of what ALLAH has granted you is being ungrateful to him:)!!there is a reason HE did this.find the reason and follow it:)

good luck akhi:)

:wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuhu:)

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

:salam2:,

calm down sister. we should not belittle someone's righteous act. something is better from nothing. the evils you mentioned about pakistan is there in another muslim nations also but atleast pakistan stood against this FB fitnah........which another muslim nation got up?

who knows maybe this small step of pakistanis could serve as a major iman-booster to stand up against all forms of evil? who knows maybe this act could please Allah?

PS: i am not pakistani :)

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamua'laykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Brothers and sisters. Sorry if I am being too honest here but I just feel the need to write it.

First and foremost, thank you to the thread starter for giving us the update on this issue.

Secondly, I thought after a few days having loads of threads on this issue, even after a thread that discusses about how we need to calm down at times, still, I see threads regarding Facebook.

And sadly, it is this sort of thread that will have quite a number of responses and keep making the thread on top.

Now, as I have said before and I will have to say this again, isn't its time now, to focus on other MORE important things?

Why are threads regarding Palestine or purification of the soul for example have the least number of responses? It is best now for us to reflect on ourselves and correct the TOP priorities in our life; on what we really need to focus on.

I do think that if none of us don't even have an account of Facebook, I'm sure this issue wouldn't be this "hot", isn't it?

At this time, I still have lots and lots of beneficial and full-of-knowledge threads to read way back from 2006 and still am trying to find time for it. Trust me, the more you read those threads, the more you feel the urge to know and read more.

May I leave with the ayaat of the Quran that reminds us the importance of time:

1.By time,

2.Indeed, mankind is in loss,

3.Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience.

Al-A'sr,103:1-3

Of all that has been written here, it goes to myself first and foremost before to others.

I apologize if my words seem to be too straight-forward. Nevertheless, I seek forgiveness to the Al-Mighty, Most Merciful Allaah subhanahu wa Ta'ala.

Waa'laykummusalam wa rahmatullah.

fatima1994

ƒ3!RY $p!r!T
first of all thanks for the comment!!
now as muslims we shoild talk politely.
yes we all are corrupt unlike you people. as u said is quite true.
and all the shortcomings are in us.
BUT.......................... we are at the TOP by boycotting these sites officially.
YOU should appreciate that this is the only point where all pakistanis are united.
we love our prophet more and more..............
you people will not understand this point. as u people rely on nonmuslims on all the issues. you people cannot live without these sites even a single day.
YES, we can live. By boycotting, all have realized that pakistan has done something different and unique.
it is the protest my respected sister!!!!!!
at least all the muslims all over the world should appreciate this act of us.
this is the only reason we call each other wrong and nonmuslims do their job...
just think on it.
AND I AM NOT ASHAMED!!!!!! now no comment on this!!!
if i hurt u or anybody else then sorry!!!
wasalasm

Well said bro =)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:,

calm down sister. we should not belittle someone's righteous act. something is better from nothing. the evils you mentioned about pakistan is there in another muslim nations also but atleast pakistan stood against this FB fitnah........which another muslim nation got up?

who knows maybe this small step of pakistanis could serve as a major iman-booster to stand up against all forms of evil? who knows maybe this act could please Allah?

PS: i am not pakistani :)

jazakallah khairan i think you said it better then me:)!!!and considering you are someone OTHER then pakistani:D:D:D!!i mean you know what i'm talking about right rival brother:p!!!guess here at TTI we are going to set records straight:pINDAINS>>>>>:shake:<<<<<<PAKISTANIS!!!:lol:instead of INDIA>>>>>>>>>>>:fighta:<<<<<<<<<<<PAKISTAN:p

YA AKHI!!trust me that's the true spirit of ummah where we stand for each other regardless the territorial distribution!!WE ARE ALL MUSLIMS:wavyarms:mashallah!!!ALLAHUAKBAR!!!!
but i got to sy in pak0india cricket match i think you know the side i'd be cheering for..........kidding akhi!!!it's nice jazakallah khairan:)may ALLAh help the muslims stay united and increase our love and respect for each other!! :wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu "sir"

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alaikum

to be honest i was very very happy with this step :D

Look in Pakistan we do have our short comings, every country does but taking this step was beautiful.
Pakistan gives facebook around 20 million users , you take away those 20 million users and you really are hurting facebook since they are not able to advertise to 20 million people.

Facebook Earning $11000000000
Facebook Users 4609,221,00
Per User Earning $2.9
Pakistani Users 2349620
Total Revenue From Us $ 5,631,281,29= 461,765,066Pkr <<<<<<<<<<<<< THATS ALOT OF MONEY

obtained from http://www.jinnahsequaid.com/facebook-last-2-days-loss-reaches-up-to-2-billions-euro-bbc-news/

Look at the effect the page has been removed, the owner issues a apology letter.

http://www.jinnahsequaid.com/facebo...muslims-–-cartoonist-molly-norris-apologizes/

and the country as a whole came together and stood up against this for the love of our Beloved Prophet Muhammed (Peace be Upon him).

Just imagine if all the muslim countries have done that , there are close to 1.8 billion muslims in this world We can make a huge difference anywhere, we just need to stand up and it was beautiful how Pakistan stood up to not allow any such actions and made companies like facebook realize muslims will not be mis-treated or ignored.

Alhumdulilah

Pakistan Zindabad :D

Status
Not open for further replies.